TROY - director's cut DVD

Betamax and beyond

TROY - director's cut DVD

Postby sonnyboo on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:29 am

** FAIRLY NON-SPOILER **

Okay, after reading all the reviews, and basically feeling that the theatrical cut was over-processed dog poo, I gave this DVD a shot.

I can't believe it. It felt like an entirely new movie. The 30+ minutes added to it were sparsely done and very little of it was whole scenes by themselves. It felt like a nearly complete overhaul of the edit of every single scene in the movie. My remembrance of the theatrical cut in the theatre was that some of the performances sucked ass and that there was very little character, nonetheless character development.

Watching this director's cut last night, I thought that every single performance was tighter, less stage-y big and the characters had a bit more depth to them. Brad Pitt was less stiff, Brian Cox, who usually gives spectacular performances seemed much more toned down and better in this edit. I liked this cut a lot better. The extra gore and stuff was okay, but not a lot to make a huge difference.

This cut changed my mind about a lot of it, but for me personally *** BIG TIME SPOILER *** when Eric Bana dies, the movie ends. The next 30-40 minutes seem like a filler since his HECTOR was the only honorable and likable character.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby wonkabar on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:58 pm

I bought this as well and it really is a much different film.

The changes are scattered all over the place and even scenes that haven't been changed much feel different. There are alternate angles and smoother edits everywhere. Scenes linger a bit longer in good way, the music hits better beats and you understand the characters in a more meaningful way.

It's amazing how these seamlessly integrated, seemingly minor changes everywhere make such a huge difference.....(as Morrissey put it, "such a little thing....but the difference it made was great.") but they do.

I have to disagree with you though boo, about Hector and the rest of the film. I would agree with your point on the theatrical. But with this cut, Pitt's character and his relationship with Briseis has much more depth. Also, the burning of Troy is way more violent and hence more captivating and even a bit sad. And speaking of Hector, I gave more of a shit when he died this time around.

This dvd is is on par with Kingdom of Heaven in how it differs from the original. But like I said, not gigantic scenes or entire missing sub-plots, more like Blade Runner...but to even greater effect.

This is the rare exception of a turd becoming a gem IMO

Shit, time for football...

late
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:55 pm

Am I plain stupid or was there a review on the mainsite for this thaat I can't find anymore?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:32 pm

can't say about the stupid thing or not :-P , but yes, there was a review of the director's cut of "Troy" on the main page that has, for some reason, been taken down.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby wonkabar on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:51 pm

Peven wrote:can't say about the stupid thing or not :-P , but yes, there was a review of the director's cut of "Troy" on the main page that has, for some reason, been taken down.

Not taken down, just squeezed off (remember teh secret of "cool news")

Here ya go
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby sonnyboo on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 pm

wonkabar wrote: Also, the burning of Troy is way more violent and hence more captivating and even a bit sad.

I will agree that I did think the scene extensions and expansion of the whole TROY burning was much better done and even had much more impact than the theatrical, I stand by my earlier statement. I felt that Pitt's performance and character were so incredibly improved, but his ACHILLES was still a very unlikable character in many ways, but then most of the characters in the movie were flawed.

Forgot to mention that Sean Bean seems to have been added back to the movie given that I completely forgot he was even IN the freakin' thing before. ODYSSEUS actually had a purpose in this cut and he means something emotionally.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:48 am

I might give this a look. I like epics, and I thought Troy was Ok at best. But I loved the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven, so if this is as successful, I might check it out.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Al Shut on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:53 am

wonkabar wrote:
Peven wrote:can't say about the stupid thing or not :-P , but yes, there was a review of the director's cut of "Troy" on the main page that has, for some reason, been taken down.

Not taken down, just squeezed off (remember teh secret of "cool news")

Here ya go

Well that pretty much answers the stupid question :oops:
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Return to DVD / Blu-ray