Persepolis

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Persepolis

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:14 am

Persepolis, for the unfamiliar.

Trailer* & clips.

twee as fuck, black & white...and I still can't stop playing it. Adorable cover of "Eye of the Tiger" maybe has something to do with that, but I'm really digging on the animation.

plus, movies I can recommend to the moms and my stoner buddies are few and far between...

*yeah, I know it's in the Cannes 2007 thread, but I couldn't get that one to play. And, animation buff that am I, I think this deserves its own thread.

ETA: it's that last "uh-uh-uh" that gets me each time.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:45 am

One could also refer to the French Comics thread for discussion on the source material... [/shameless promotion]
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby doglips on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:01 am

I hope one of my local art house cinemas adds this to it's coming attractions. I would love to see this on the big screen rather than DVD.

Pacino, have you read the comic book?
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:26 am

Yup, sure did! I thought it was most excellent, and judging from the clips, it looks like they really nailed the film adaptation.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Theta on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 am

This should be an...interesting adaptation. The comic is good, but it's not exactly heavy on the drama.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
User avatar
Theta
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:57 am
Location: Boston, MA

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:42 am

Man that looks great! I love how it's B & W oldschool, but then little things like shaddows or some movement remind you that it's made in the future, 2007! I'll bee keeping an eye out for this puppy. Great style, what's it about??
Image
User avatar
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5403
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:19 am

If it ain't drawn by Rolf Harris, I ain't watchin' it.

:lol:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11474
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:55 am

So like I totally watched Persepolis yesterday, and despite the uneven story structure, perhaps due to the film's short running length, and some stiff animation, it's still a very affecting and beautiful film and may possibly make my top 10 of the year. It's been an interesting year so far since some of the best films I've seen are either comedies (Knocked Up, Hot Fuzz) or animated (Paprika, Persepolis).

As an adaptation of Marjane's Satrapi's original graphic novel, the least that can be said about Persepolis is that it's faithful, since Satrapi was co-director of the film.

The visual aspects and emotional core are the film's two strengths. The flavor of Satrapi's artwork is not only captured, but it's enhanced by the use of shadows and textures, and more experimentation with negative space in the black and white world (yes, an animated film in black and white with about two minutes of color spread out over the duration). The general composition and level of detail of the artwork is also an improvement over her original drawings, but I had to flip through the graphic novels again to really tell that things were different. Organic growth.

To pick the first nit, although the film was visually splendid, the animation itself was not spectacular, in some parts appearing too stiff... which is sad because several times during the film the animation reaches maddening heights of German expressionism to depict some truly Orwellian scenes. Sure we can spot the references, but the use of blacks and the fluidity of the animation in those particular scenes is simply breathtaking, and the emotional impact is tremendous.

To pick the second nit, the film was uneven. There are highs and lows to Satrapi's story, and naturally things appear in mostly chronological order, but there's so much "movement" to her life story that, although it might be how things really happened, it just feels too chaotic. By the time you adjust to this situation or that one, the story's moved on quickly and you have to catch up to the pace. This was detrimental to the film's quality, and it might seem as though I'm severely criticizing the movie, but it's just that the filmmakers missed the potential for true greatness with the material they had in hand.

The film was too short! Considering the richness of the material, despite omissions from the graphic novel, they could've worked on the flow a little better, even playing with the chronology if they so chose (just like in the graphic novel, the film is divided into chapters of Satrapi's life which just happen to be placed in chronological order). There's a number of different approaches they could've taken to unify the overall tone of the film, and I would be calling this film a masterpiece if they had elevated the story in the same way they elevated the artwork.

The thing is, as faithful as this adaptation may have been, it simply doesn't work as well in the feature film format. In the graphic novel, the reader could take as much time as desired for the different things that happen throughout the story. The reader could stop on a particular sequence of panels to digest some part of the story, but this isn't possible with the movie, and sadly some key moments are simply too fleeting.

Most notably, Satrapi's experience in Austria was poorly handled, and the emotional impact it had in the graphic novel was simply lost here.

But fortunately, the other side of the coin is much bigger. I've already commented on the brilliant visuals, but where the film truly shines, where the graphic novel was limited, is in the interactions between Marjane and her various family members and friends in Iran. Particularly early on, as the transition from the Shah's era to the Islamic Revolution takes place, and we follow the story through the eyes of the very young and adorable Marjane. Some of the film's most heartbreaking moments take place then. Later on, Marjane's relationship with her parents and grandmother also make for some affecting personal moments.

I watched the original French-language version of the film, and the voice work was excellent, although I didn't recognize any of the actors' names with the exception of Catherine Deneuve, who voices Marjane's mother.

I won't say anything about the plot since anyway it's a condensed version of the graphic novel and I don't want to double the length of this post! The film really is excellent, one of the year's best, and although I've picked a couple of huge nits, there's a lot more positive than negative here. At the end of the film, I was pretty drained, it was a wonderful and painful experience, but it made me wish that I could give it a 10/10... instead, Persepolis gets a very respectable:

8/10 (very good - excellent)
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:04 pm

User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13812
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby pheadx on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:29 pm

PLEASE everyone look at the talkback on harry's post and tell me how stupid AICN readers are:

Sorry.
by Frijole Nov 14th, 2007
06:40:03 PM
That looks boring as hell. I even like the animation styles, and have no issue with the subject matter... but it still seems really dry and well... boring.

Uh, what the hell was that about?
by shuttlepod_10 Nov 14th, 2007
06:43:29 PM
I don't get it.

Ummm, yeah...
by That 70s Venom Nov 14th, 2007
06:46:21 PM
That's cool and everything, but... better than BeoWulf... ? Nope. Sorry.

That was... what's the word I'm looking for...
by Heckles Nov 14th, 2007
06:51:01 PM
Dumbledore. Yup, that was really Dumbledore.

Sorry, have you actually seen Beowulf?
by catlettuce4 Nov 14th, 2007
07:13:37 PM
I could draw this film with my kids.. eastern european bullshit.

It can't be better than Ratatouille
by SoylentMean Nov 14th, 2007
07:19:18 PM
No Pixar, No Pint Sized Naked Golden Statue. Animation and Politics Do Not Go Together! This Movie Looks Stupid!!!!
pheadx
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:56 pm

pheadx wrote:PLEASE everyone look at the talkback on Grande Rojo's post and tell me how stupid AICN readers are:


hey, if it wasn't for them, teh Zone would never have formed.

gotta love the amateur right-wing history lesson going on in there.

only "tb's" I read regularly anymore is over at the Onion. Some mighty fine comedic stylings, always good for at least a chuckle. Reminds me of AICN salad days...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:54 am

Hmmm, as much as I hate predicting Oscar winners/nominees, I have to agree with H@rry in saying that this will probably win "Best Animated Feature." The film is really dressed up like an Oscar contender... sure, it would be deserving of the award, but we all know it will get it for all the wrong reasons (i.e. "relevance" according to Hollywood people, etc). I'd much rather see Satoshi Kon take the statue home.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:07 pm

I saw a trailer for this before The Savages movie yesterday! It looked great!

Looks like Pacino liked it! 8 out 10 ain't bad? It kinda had a "Madeleine goes goth" feel to it only she's Iranian.

Marjane Satrapi's little gem! Not on DVD but out of theatres? Anyone know?
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:43 pm

Maui wrote:Not on DVD but out of theatres? Anyone know?


it's not out of theaters, as the release date was the 25th, but it's only playing in NY and maybe Hell-A right now. Kinda honked me off that liberal mecca SF didn't have it on opening night, as it was going to be my X-Mas flick.

should get a wider release shortly though...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:34 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Maui wrote:Not on DVD but out of theatres? Anyone know?


it's not out of theaters, as the release date was the 25th, but it's only playing in NY and maybe Hell-A right now. Kinda honked me off that liberal mecca SF didn't have it on opening night, as it was going to be my X-Mas flick.

should get a wider release shortly though...


Ok, cool thanks KCBC! I'll be watching for this one!!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:34 pm

This should be good. One of my all-time new favorite trailers.
User avatar
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Random tree

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:This should be good. One of my all-time new favorite trailers.


Definitely! The trailer was fabulous! Made me laugh.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:33 pm

KCBC, you seen this yet?

I'm gonna check it out this weekend. Wondering if anyone has seen it?
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Nordling on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:39 pm

It was supposed to open here this weekend then for some reason got pushed to next. I've been wanting to see it, so I'll hit it next weekend.
Image
User avatar
Nordling
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Missouri City, TX

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:40 pm

Nordling wrote:It was supposed to open here this weekend then for some reason got pushed to next. I've been wanting to see it, so I'll hit it next weekend.


The trailer looked quite amusing. It's playing here in Berkeley this weekend - so yeah, I'm there!!!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Pacina and I have seen it.

Its one of the best movies of the year without a doubt.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Maui wrote:KCBC, you seen this yet?

I'm gonna check it out this weekend. Wondering if anyone has seen it?


hey, what's Haydar, chopped haggis?!?

but, yeah, I caught it the other day, thanks for the bump.

When the film focused on Satrapi's childhood, when it was openly outright political and when it was going for the funny, it fucking soared. Moments of pure delight, heartbreak, and incredible wit.

but, while watching, I couldn't help but compare it to an album, or a song say, that goes loud-quiet-loud-quiet. The "loud", the examples I mentioned, were extraordinary...but the "quiet"...eh, not so much. It took too many sojourns into the "woe is me" emo variety. Ttrue, it's not like Satrapi didn't have more in her life to be woe about than most, but focusing on a first heart-brake/break-up when there's so much more going on around her, in her life experiences...I don't know, I was kinda bored for some stretches.

but, for a while, when the film focused on what I reckoned were it's strengths, it was by far my favorite film of the year.

Not gonna lie, I was teared up for a lot of it...tears of pure joy, tears of sorrow, tears of the wonder at the stark b & w animation nailing everything I love about the genre.

7.5 out of 10, and that may only be so low 'cuz of my outrageous expectations I had going in.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Flumm on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:54 pm

Yes, along with TWBB, this has been one of my most anticipated of recent months.

Although, it's unlikely to play anywhere near me, anytime soons...so untill then, I live vicariously through you guys, your reviews, musings 'n' elucidations.

To wit:

"...I don't know, I was kinda bored for some stretches. "


sad face.


"but, for a while, when the film focused on what I reckoned were it's strengths, it was by far my favorite film of the year."

happy face!

I'd love to have seen the animation up on the canvas, but with kind of personalised, intimate nature of the story, hopefully it still has it's place on me teevee. I wait in earnest, I 'spose.
User avatar
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:31 pm
Location: Yesteryonder

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Flumm wrote:To wit:

"...I don't know, I was kinda bored for some stretches. "


sad face.


"but, for a while, when the film focused on what I reckoned were it's strengths, it was by far my favorite film of the year."

happy face!


I'm going to see this over the weekend! :D :P
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Excellent everyone. Glad that you all enjoyed it.

Look forward to your review Tapes!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:04 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Maui wrote:KCBC, you seen this yet?

I'm gonna check it out this weekend. Wondering if anyone has seen it?


hey, what's Haydar, chopped haggis?!?

but, yeah, I caught it the other day, thanks for the bump.

When the film focused on Satrapi's childhood, when it was openly outright political and when it was going for the funny, it fucking soared. Moments of pure delight, heartbreak, and incredible wit.

but, while watching, I couldn't help but compare it to an album, or a song say, that goes loud-quiet-loud-quiet. The "loud", the examples I mentioned, were extraordinary...but the "quiet"...eh, not so much. It took too many sojourns into the "woe is me" emo variety. Ttrue, it's not like Satrapi didn't have more in her life to be woe about than most, but focusing on a first heart-brake/break-up when there's so much more going on around her, in her life experiences...I don't know, I was kinda bored for some stretches.

but, for a while, when the film focused on what I reckoned were it's strengths, it was by far my favorite film of the year.

Not gonna lie, I was teared up for a lot of it...tears of pure joy, tears of sorrow, tears of the wonder at the stark b & w animation nailing everything I love about the genre.

7.5 out of 10, and that may only be so low 'cuz of my outrageous expectations I had going in.



7.5 works - nice review!!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:24 pm

In my movie journal I gave it an 8.5. The major problem I had was it moved too fast at points I would have liked to see more detail on and sometimes too slow on something mundane or typical.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:26 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:In my movie journal I gave it an 8.5. The major problem I had was it moved too fast at points I would have liked to see more detail on and sometimes too slow on something mundane or typical.


You read the GN too, SFG?
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:In my movie journal I gave it an 8.5. The major problem I had was it moved too fast at points I would have liked to see more detail on and sometimes too slow on something mundane or typical.


You read the GN too, SFG?


Never read it. Its on my list though *sigh*
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:The visual aspects and emotional core are the film's two strengths. The flavor of Satrapi's artwork is not only captured, but it's enhanced by the use of shadows and textures, and more experimentation with negative space in the black and white world (yes, an animated film in black and white with about two minutes of color spread out over the duration). The general composition and level of detail of the artwork is also an improvement over her original drawings, but I had to flip through the graphic novels again to really tell that things were different. Organic growth.
...several times during the film the animation reaches maddening heights of German expressionism to depict some truly Orwellian scenes...the use of blacks and the fluidity of the animation in those particular scenes is simply breathtaking, and the emotional impact is tremendous.

To pick the second nit, the film was uneven. There are highs and lows to Satrapi's story...Most notably, Satrapi's experience in Austria was poorly handled, and the emotional impact it had in the graphic novel was simply lost here.
...the interactions between Marjane and her various family members and friends in Iran. Particularly early on, as the transition from the Shah's era to the Islamic Revolution takes place, and we follow the story through the eyes of the very young and adorable Marjane. Some of the film's most heartbreaking moments take place then. Later on, Marjane's relationship with her parents and grandmother also make for some affecting personal moments.
...and although I've picked a couple of huge nits, there's a lot more positive than negative here. At the end of the film, I was pretty drained, it was a wonderful and painful experience, but it made me wish that I could give it a 10/10...


Outstanding review.

just read it now, having avoided it before out of fear of spoilage, but that's why I didn't even bother writing up anything about it.
All I could've said was said better already.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote: The visual aspects and emotional core are the film's two strengths. The flavor of Satrapi's artwork is not only captured, but it's enhanced by the use of shadows and textures, and more experimentation with negative space in the black and white world (yes, an animated film in black and white with about two minutes of color spread out over the duration). The general composition and level of detail of the artwork is also an improvement over her original drawings, but I had to flip through the graphic novels again to really tell that things were different. Organic growth.
...several times during the film the animation reaches maddening heights of German expressionism to depict some truly Orwellian scenes...the use of blacks and the fluidity of the animation in those particular scenes is simply breathtaking, and the emotional impact is tremendous.

To pick the second nit, the film was uneven. There are highs and lows to Satrapi's story...Most notably, Satrapi's experience in Austria was poorly handled, and the emotional impact it had in the graphic novel was simply lost here.
...the interactions between Marjane and her various family members and friends in Iran. Particularly early on, as the transition from the Shah's era to the Islamic Revolution takes place, and we follow the story through the eyes of the very young and adorable Marjane. Some of the film's most heartbreaking moments take place then. Later on, Marjane's relationship with her parents and grandmother also make for some affecting personal moments.
...and although I've picked a couple of huge nits, there's a lot more positive than negative here. At the end of the film, I was pretty drained, it was a wonderful and painful experience, but it made me wish that I could give it a 10/10...


Outstanding review.

just read it now, having avoided it before out of fear of spoilage, but that's why I didn't even bother writing up anything about it.
All I could've said was said better already.


You guys wonder why I dont post reviews!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Flumm on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:45 pm

tapehead wrote:
Flumm wrote:To wit:

"...I don't know, I was kinda bored for some stretches. "


sad face.


"but, for a while, when the film focused on what I reckoned were it's strengths, it was by far my favorite film of the year."

happy face!


I'm going to see this over the weekend! :D :P


Well... I'll take what I/you can get.

But I want my musings, mister...


Musings!
User avatar
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:31 pm
Location: Yesteryonder

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks for the props Keepcool, and correct me if I'm wrong but the parts that you are referring to as "emo," where they the portions that take place in Austria? If so, then I'd advise reading graphic novel if you haven't already. If memory serves, the Austria chapter worked a lot better in print than it did on the screen.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:44 pm

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight.... ;)

KCBC and Pacino basically covered this movie wonderfully. I'll just put in my 2 cents.

I really enjoyed this movie. A very touching story of a young Iranian girl's coming of age and how she finds her niche.

The Vienna scenes were definitely amusing with the partying, the humping dog, and the nuns (who were former prostitutes). So many funny moments in this film as well, tender, sad, heartfelt moments. With every somber scene they were able to quickly inject some humour. An example, when Marjane is highly depressed and her psychiatrist is doodling on his notepad.

A delightful film - go see it! You won't be disappointed!


9 out of 10.







I need to try that pencil trick and the cold water for 10 minutes too. ;)
Last edited by Maui on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:49 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:The flavor of Satrapi's artwork is not only captured, but it's enhanced by the use of shadows and textures


I loved this about the film. I felt as though I was watching these animated characters through a shadow box on HD!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 am

Remember Maui, the water must be ICE cold!!!! :)
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Maui on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:41 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Remember Maui, the water must be ICE cold!!!! :)


hahahah, I've never heard of such a thing.

I loved the Grandma! She was incredibly wise! ;)
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:43 pm

There's already been a lot of great commentary on this film on this thread, the main thing I'd wish to add is that it manages to achieve all the drama and politically charged elements of it's story while still being really, really cute and very pretty.

I'm sure my reaction is in part due to the fact that I'm not as grounded and steeped in comics as many Zoners seem to be, but it seemed to me the stylistic triumph of this film's gorgeous black and white aesthetic that it manages to personalise, rather than trivialise, the actual historical elements of Marjane Satrapi's life by conveying them with such charming and decidedly 'cartoonish' renderings. For some of the characters, like Satrapi herself and her Grandmother, to achieve a few scenes that are greatly affecting and quite moving is no mean feat. And the rest is a funny story full of wry observations about growing up and adolescence that while, unique to Marjane's life are also familiar to anyone who has been through it.

A one-of-a-kind film that only just comes in second to Paprika for my favourite animation in 2007, in fact I really can't choose between it and Ratatouille.
Last edited by tapehead on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:55 pm

tapehead wrote:
A one-of-a-kind film that only just comes in second to Paprika for my favourite animation in 2007, in fact I really can't choose between it and Ratatouille.


Difficult choice Tapes, I agree.

Paprika is such a mind trip without the sentiment. I loved it though. Persepolis and Ratatouille are both up for best animated film - Ratatouille will likely win however it would be nice to see Persepolis win. I don't want to say underdog (but Persepolis is in this case) - Pixar often gets these awards and rightfully so. I just think the academy need to embrace different forms of animation not just the stuff we see Pixar, Sony, and Dreamworks pump out every year.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:24 am

I felt the same way Dale, which is why despite the nitpicks I still gave Persepolis a very good score, and rank it among the year's best. But wrt Paprika and Ratatouille, I'm totally with you there...

However, Maui, I predict that Persepolis WILL take home the Best Animated Film Oscar.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:34 am

I agree it has all the traits of Oscar-bait.


...you can call me Dale, but I'm not sure if Dale will like it.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:36 am

tapehead wrote:I agree it has all the traits of Oscar-bait.


...you can call me Dale, but I'm not sure if Dale will like it.


HAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT, I am on crack!!! Wait, you didn't write a review for Gone Baby Gone as well did you?
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:50 am

that's a yes :lollers:
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:48 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:However, Maui, I predict that Persepolis WILL take home the Best Animated Film Oscar.



I'd like to see this as well. Let's hope your prediction rings true.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Persepolis

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:14 pm

I don't think I ever mentioned how very much I love Persepolis in The Zone, but I do. So very, very much. Great animation, simplistic yet beautiful at the same time, with a story that is:

-political
-personal
-modern
-timeless
-funny
-heartbreaking

If you haven't seen it, you should be ashamed!
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13812
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Persepolis

Postby Al Shut on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:16 pm

:oops:
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6193
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Persepolis

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Ribbons wrote:I don't think I ever mentioned how very much I love Persepolis in The Zone, but I do. So very, very much. Great animation, simplistic yet beautiful at the same time, with a story that is:

-political
-personal
-modern
-timeless
-funny
-heartbreaking

If you haven't seen it, you should be ashamed!


:oops:

I'm so sorry.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL


Return to Animation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron