Mr. Brooks

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Mr. Brooks

Postby junesquad on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:11 pm

I was driving home the other night and heard an advertisement for Mr. Brooks. Hearing that it was a psychological thriller, my interests were immediately peaked. So, I stopped by my local Wal-Mart and picked up a copy. I must say that it has become my favorite movie, BY FAR. Has anyone else seen it yet?

Junesquad

**Psychologically speaking, to discover something mysterious in objects is a symptom of cerebral abnormality related to certain kinds of insanity.
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Re: Mr. Brooks

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:15 pm

junesquad wrote:I was driving home the other night and heard an advertisement for Mr. Brooks. Hearing that it was a psychological thriller, my interests were immediately peaked. So, I stopped by my local Wal-Mart and picked up a copy. I must say that it has become my favorite movie, BY FAR. Has anyone else seen it yet?

Junesquad

**Psychologically speaking, to discover something mysterious in objects is a symptom of cerebral abnormality related to certain kinds of insanity.


are you being glib?

[to be fair, i haven't seen it. is it really that good?]
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Postby junesquad on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:21 pm

No, I'm being very sincere. I am a huge fan of psychological thrillers. The writers did a great job with character development and the actors did an even better job at bringing the writers' vision to the screen.

Kevin Costner was absolutely amazing with his performance of Earl Brooks, Marg Helgenberger was the perfect choice as his wife, Demi Moore (not my favorite actress) was phenomenal, and even William Hurt smartly created his character. The equation resulted in one helluva movie.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby buster00 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:29 pm

And Dane Cook is hilarious in it! It's a laff riot!
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6402
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:33 pm

buster00 wrote:And Dane Cook is hilarious in it! It's a laff riot!


I must use this opportunity to quote one of the best movie reviewers of all time in his review of "Good Luck Chuck":

[quote="A.O. Scott"]I’ve occasionally heard Dane Cook, one of the stars of “Good Luck Chuck,â€
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:57 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
buster00 wrote:And Dane Cook is hilarious in it! It's a laff riot!


I must use this opportunity to quote one of the best movie reviewers of all time in his review of "Good Luck Chuck":

[quote="A.O. Scott"]I’ve occasionally heard Dane Cook, one of the stars of “Good Luck Chuck,â€
User avatar
havocSchultz
is full of stars...
 
Posts: 15695
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am
Location: living amongst a hazy nothing...

Postby junesquad on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:05 pm

buster00 wrote:And Dane Cook is hilarious in it! It's a laff riot!


Dane Cook did play the part very well, but I don't think the part afforded the actor an opportunity to really stand out when surrounded by such excellent performances from some really great actors.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:46 pm

This movie looked interesting but it tanked pretty fast so I never got around to seeing it. I may add it to my Netflix queue, however.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9607
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby tapehead on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:50 pm

Dont. It's fucking awful.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Don't even listen to tape yo, he's bad for you


The movie isn't bad and it convinced me that William Hurt is a very evil person. I mean that as a compliment.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Postby junesquad on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:46 pm

RogueScribner wrote:This movie looked interesting but it tanked pretty fast so I never got around to seeing it. I may add it to my Netflix queue, however.


I would definitely say that it is worth that... at the very least.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby John-Locke on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:50 pm

I saw it a few months ago and thought it was a good laugh. On the surface it's a textbook Thriller but with a few tweaks here and there it becomes something else, it's dark and funny. Admittedly it isn't particularly thrilling and it's not going to even be considered for any awards but as Generic thrillers go it's worth a watch if you think you might enjoy this kind of Movie.

Dane Cook is a cock but he doesn't actually hinder the film as his character is such a Struggling Background Artist that it's actually quite fitting.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby junesquad on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:58 pm

John-Locke wrote:I saw it a few months ago and thought it was a good laugh. On the surface it's a textbook Thriller but with a few tweaks here and there it becomes something else, it's dark and funny. Admittedly it isn't particularly thrilling and it's not going to even be considered for any awards but as Generic thrillers go it's worth a watch if you think you might enjoy this kind of Movie.

Dane Cook is a cock but he doesn't actually hinder the film as his character is such a Struggling Background Artist that it's actually quite fitting.


I really don't think it was meant to be funny. Some of the very cold lines come across as funny because the typical human brain can't conceive such evil thinking.** However, to the psychopathic deviant, this is typical. I think some people have to laugh to avoid realizing that some of those elements could be real. (This is in exception to the few sure humorous points in the movie.)

**I'm talking about such moments as when Mr. Brooks says killing people is a lot like falling in love...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:57 pm

It's the kind of film Donald Kauffman would write. Take from that what you will.
It had a few interesting ideas and William Hurt has never done anything less than brilliant work in every film he's ever been in. But I saw this two weeks ago and had forgotten all about it until I saw this thread.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby tapehead on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:20 pm

junesquad wrote:
John-Locke wrote:I saw it a few months ago and thought it was a good laugh. On the surface it's a textbook Thriller but with a few tweaks here and there it becomes something else, it's dark and funny. Admittedly it isn't particularly thrilling and it's not going to even be considered for any awards but as Generic thrillers go it's worth a watch if you think you might enjoy this kind of Movie.

Dane Cook is a cock but he doesn't actually hinder the film as his character is such a Struggling Background Artist that it's actually quite fitting.


I really don't think it was meant to be funny. Some of the very cold lines come across as funny because the typical human brain can't conceive such evil thinking.** However, to the psychopathic deviant, this is typical. I think some people have to laugh to avoid realizing that some of those elements could be real. (This is in exception to the few sure humorous points in the movie.)

**I'm talking about such moments as when Mr. Brooks says killing people is a lot like falling in love...


See, I have no doubt it was supposed to be funny - a 'black comedy' if you will, it's just that it failed miserably in most attempts. The typical human brain can conceive of such evil thinking - some pretty average ones are responsible for this script, for instance. I really hope Hurt tried to do some more interesting work and they cut it out of the movie, as their were a few brief glimpses of a good performance there.
I guess it's not entirely awful, it's just so bland.

TonyWilson wrote:It's the kind of film Donald Kauffman would write. Take from that what you will.


heheh
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby junesquad on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:09 pm

Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:12 pm

junesquad wrote:I agree completely with this guy.


Victoria's a guy?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby junesquad on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Whoops...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:48 am

TonyWilson wrote:William Hurt has never done anything less than brilliant work in every film he's ever been in.


I dunno, he looks sleepy sometimes, and in The Village especially, he put me to sleep.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:52 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:William Hurt has never done anything less than brilliant work in every film he's ever been in.


I dunno, he looks sleepy sometimes, and in The Village especially, he put me to sleep.


I love that half asleep line delivery he does - he just seems so.... at home with whatever character he his playing. Not seen The Village (yet another movie spoiled for me) so I'll have to take your word for it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am

You're not missing anything with The Village... totally phoned-in performance from William Hurt... I wonder if he and Ben Kingsley have started a club of "Great Actors, Lots of Crap Movies." Maybe we could do a poll/list?
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 am

Start a thread, Pacino, I nominate Micheal Caine and Dennis Hopper.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:15 am

TonyWilson wrote:Start a thread, Pacino, I nominate Micheal Caine and Dennis Hopper.


I'll raise you, Robert DeNiro in comedies...
User avatar
havocSchultz
is full of stars...
 
Posts: 15695
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am
Location: living amongst a hazy nothing...

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:54 pm

I have to agree with those that say Mr. Brooks wasn't too bad... it's really nothing special, I'm not even sure it's that good in the end, but it's entertaining, and done with a certain unpretentiousness that I find refreshing.

It's nice to see Costner and Hurt working off of each other... again, these aren't stand-out performances, both have done far better work, but they deliver. Demi Moore and Dane Cook are forgettable, but they don't get in the way, and can we expect more from them really?

6/10 (Average, but may be worth a visit)
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby junesquad on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm surprised that nobody seemed to care for the movie. It was really well-received by the people I know and work with. Oh well...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm gonna be watching this tonight.

Let you know what I thought.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7633
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby junesquad on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Sweet-lovin'.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:16 pm

junesquad wrote:I'm surprised that nobody seemed to care for the movie. It was really well-received by the people I know and work with. Oh well...


You're a gravedigger?!?

I keed, I keed!!! :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12189
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Postby John-Locke on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:53 pm

junesquad wrote:I'm surprised that nobody seemed to care for the movie. It was really well-received by the people I know and work with. Oh well...


All my buddies who have seen the film (none of whom are film buffs) loved the film. It's just a refreshing and entertaining generic Thriller, nothing more.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby junesquad on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:31 pm

John-Locke wrote:It's just a refreshing and entertaining generic Thriller...


Generic, I feel is not really appropriate for such a unique take on a psychological addiction, but I do agree with the refreshing and entertaining thriller. And that's what I loved about it.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby junesquad on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:41 am

Maui wrote:I'm gonna be watching this tonight.

Let you know what I thought.


Maui, did you ever watch Mr. Brooks?
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby jcannon on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:46 pm

I know the film did real piss poor at the box office but I truly enjoyed it. This movie contains some of my least favorite actors of all time in it. The only movie I've ever been able to watch Costner in was "The Untouchables", I just can't stand Demi Moore, and I find Dane Cook(not really an actor) to be one of the most annoying people on the face of the planet but goddammit I loved this movie it kinda reminded me of American Psycho.
"A life of booze, drugs and unprotected sex is only going to fuck you up! I mean, look at me!"
-Ozzy Osbourne
jcannon
GLIB
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Wareham, MA

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:22 pm

I cannot believe this film had merited 32 comments.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby instant_karma on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:31 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I cannot believe this film had merited 32 comments.


So, will your disbelief increase with each subsequent comment?

I thought it was a pretty good movie, but I seem to like Kevin Costner more than most folks...
User avatar
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Thereabouts

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:48 pm

instant_karma wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I cannot believe this film had merited 32 comments.


So, will your disbelief increase with each subsequent comment?


:shock: :shock: :shock:

YES!!!



instant_karma wrote: I thought it was a pretty good movie, but I seem to like Kevin Costner more than most folks...


Costner is a really briliant actor when he tries and when he has really good material.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby junesquad on Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:04 am

jcannon wrote:I know the film did real piss poor at the box office but I truly enjoyed it. This movie contains some of my least favorite actors of all time in it. The only movie I've ever been able to watch Costner in was "The Untouchables", I just can't stand Demi Moore, and I find Dane Cook(not really an actor) to be one of the most annoying people on the face of the planet but goddammit I loved this movie it kinda reminded me of American Psycho.


Yeah, Dane Cook was okay in the role, but I can't stand him. I'm glad he won't be in the next installment that they are talking about. I am so glad I bought it. I like it almost as much as Sybil.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby Shane on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:39 am

I don't know if unique is the word I would use for the movie. I do think the original script had potential. I can't get into Kevin Costner at all for some reason. I think him in the role killed it for me, but as a Bundy type character he does work.

There was stuff that just failed here, and stuff that could have been good.

Now if Orson Wells or Hitchcock took the idea and script 40 or more years ago I think we would have had a masterpiece, this just isn't that.
User avatar
Shane
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby Karl Hungus on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:11 am

Honestly, excellent film. I reviewed it here: http://www.karlhungus.com/2007/09/mr-brooks.html

What made it for me was the chemistry between Costner and Hurt. They were perfect together.
User avatar
Karl Hungus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Postby junesquad on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:12 pm

Karl Hungus wrote:Honestly, excellent film. I reviewed it here: http://www.karlhungus.com/2007/09/mr-brooks.html

What made it for me was the chemistry between Costner and Hurt. They were perfect together.


Thanks for sharing your review... it's nice to hear that there at least a couple other people that enjoyed the film.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 17, 2008 1:24 pm

You can make the case that the "twist" in this movie (that serial/compulsive killer Mr. Brooks' beloved daughter also has the "killing gene" and a big, big thirst for human blood) is improbable bordering on absurd, but I think the The Three-like shenanigans in this film actually hit on something real, if not profound. How many parents who hate themselves try to exorcise themselves through their progeny? Whether their marriage is on the rocks, or they're stuck in a mean job, or they never learned how to throw a curveball, they continue to live, but project all of their hopes for self-improvement onto their spawn. To discover that your kid is just as fucked up as you are and that it's probably your fault must provoke some sort of existential terror.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 14173
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am


Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests