Disturbia ("it's Rear Window-esque!")

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Disturbia ("it's Rear Window-esque!")

Postby kibbled on Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:05 am

I know that Dreamworks is making a remake of Rear Window. Does anyone no any information on this like who is directing or staring in it?
kibbled
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:46 am

The world doesn't need this. Is this true?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:59 am

I Googled "dreamworks" and "rear window" and all I found was various sites comparing a new Dreamworks film Disturbia to Rear Window, but not an actual Rear Window remake itself.

Freeze Dried Movies wrote:According to Hollywood Reporter Shia LaBeouf is starring in 'Disturbia', a thriller being directed by D.J. Caruso for DreamWorks. The project, being produced by the Montecito Picture Co. and Jackie Marcus, is the first to go before cameras since Paramount acquired DreamWorks. Written by Christopher Landon, the story revolves around a troubled high school senior (LaBeouf), still grieving over his father's death, who is sentenced to house arrest after an outburst of anger at school. While at home, he becomes convinced that his neighbor is a serial killer. Landon wrote the initial script, and Carl Ellsworth, who wrote "Red Eye" for DreamWorks, did a rewrite. Montecito, which has a first-look deal with DreamWorks, picked up the script as a spec in June.

That was posted a couple of weeks ago.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby kortanaskew on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:12 pm

There was one a few years back with Christopher Reeve.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166322/

He won a Screen Actors Guild Awards and got nominated for a Golden Globe as well, but I suspect that was more for his day to day bravery than the acting he did in this film.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:16 pm

it could be worse. they could be doing a remake of 'the bedroom window' starring steve guttenberg.

you can't top steve guttenberg.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:20 pm

You make it sound painful.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:23 pm

You guys bet me to it. I knew there was a Steve Guttenberg version of sorts, but I forgot about the Chris Reeve one.

YTF are they redoing this for?

Shit like this makes me wanna turn my back on modern Hollywood, and watch movies from somewhere else.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:35 pm

TheBaxter wrote:it could be worse. they could be doing a remake of 'the bedroom window' starring steve guttenberg.

you can't top steve guttenberg.

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:42 pm

How is it possible that the GuttenPackage showed up in two different threads...mere minutes apart!

Honestly, GuttenPackage is taking over the world...one thread at a time.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kibbled on Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:10 am

RogueScribner wrote:I Googled "dreamworks" and "rear window" and all I found was various sites comparing a new Dreamworks film Disturbia to Rear Window, but not an actual Rear Window remake itself.

Freeze Dried Movies wrote:According to Hollywood Reporter Shia LaBeouf is starring in 'Disturbia', a thriller being directed by D.J. Caruso for DreamWorks. The project, being produced by the Montecito Picture Co. and Jackie Marcus, is the first to go before cameras since Paramount acquired DreamWorks. Written by Christopher Landon, the story revolves around a troubled high school senior (LaBeouf), still grieving over his father's death, who is sentenced to house arrest after an outburst of anger at school. While at home, he becomes convinced that his neighbor is a serial killer. Landon wrote the initial script, and Carl Ellsworth, who wrote "Red Eye" for DreamWorks, did a rewrite. Montecito, which has a first-look deal with DreamWorks, picked up the script as a spec in June.

That was posted a couple of weeks ago.

I think this is the movie. Thanks.
kibbled
GLIB

Postby guerillakarma on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:43 pm

Jeez, I just saw the trailer for Disturbia, they played it in between Smallville scenes. It does, it looks like a freakin teenage remake of Rear Window.
guerillakarma
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:10 am

Indeed it does. Gods help us all.

Except the suspense and mood are being replaced by Hostel-style "horror" gore and car wrecks and poor David Morse stuck in a debased version of the Raymond Burr role.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:14 pm

guerillakarma wrote:Jeez, I just saw the trailer for Disturbia, they played it in between Smallville scenes. It does, it looks like a freakin teenage remake of Rear Window.

Disturbia???
That surely must be one of the worst titles for a movie I've heard in ages.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:45 pm

I saw that Rear Window remake on TV years back with Chris Reeve. This is another film that really doesnt need to be remade again. I dont get why they keep remaking these classic films.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:55 pm

Might as well crap on Jimmy Stewart's grave.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:33 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Might as well crap on Jimmy Stewart's grave.

DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:35 pm

I linked to the trailer over HERE.

My buddy saw an early screening of this the other day and said it was surprisingly entertaining, if absolutely unoriginal. He's a voice I trust too.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:11 pm

Crap, I'm probably gonna see this. I think they should have left David Morse out of the trailer. At least leave something to be discovered in the theater.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:15 pm

My friend said he was disappointed they made Morse into such an overt villain in the trailer as, like with Rear Window, it takes a while in the movie for him to be revealed as such. Apparently, the kid follows a number of neighbors' stories for a while the way Stewart did, and then eventually he's drawn back to this one case.

The trailer, for me, was waaaaaay too packed with story beats. Seriously, there's not much left to see at this point.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:35 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Crap, I'm probably gonna see this.

Its like you're saying "I know this is gonna be shit, but I just cant help myself!" LOL!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Disturbia, you say.

Disturbia.

Bad title.

Unless the Klopeks are the next door neighbors, I think I'll pass on this nonsense.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Disturbia. It'll Disturb Ya.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:58 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Disturbia. It'll Disturb Ya.

It's set in suburbia, but it's all disturbing! It's Disturbia! Haw! Haw!

It sounds like it should be a really shitty angst anthem by, like, The Offspring or someone like that.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:10 pm

The Offspring's new album Disturbia! Sounds right to me.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:00 pm

buster00 wrote:It sounds like it should be a really shitty angst anthem by, like, The Offspring or someone like that.

Or an American Idiot style concept album.

Featuring four songs:

1) Don't feed the babies

2) Dubyamoney

3) Unpleasantworld

4) Land of Disturbia
parts i-xvi
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:29 pm

I thought this trailer looked pretty fun. And who gives a shit if it's a remake? It won't take away a MASTERPIECE. Stop whining.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:45 pm

Is this being billed as a Rear Window remake? I mean, after watching the trailer, I'm not left with the impression that they did anything but take the broad strokes of the idea of RW and do their own thing with it. I'd be more upset if they called this Rear Window, but they didn't, so what do I care? It could be an okay movie.
Last edited by RogueScribner on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:47 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Is this being billed as a Rear Window remake? I mean, after watching the trailer, I'm not left with the impression that they did anything but take the broad strokes of the idea of RR and do their own thing with it. I'd be more upset if they called this Rear Window, but they didn't, so what do I care? It could be an okay movie.

I'd be even more upset if they spelled Window with an R...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:25 am

Sorry, I was right in the middle of my Mickey Rooney impersonation from Breakfast at Tiffany's when I typed that.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:24 am

RogueScribner wrote:Sorry, I was right in the middle of my Mickey Rooney impersonation from Breakfast at Tiffany's when I typed that.

That's what I figured...it was a good impression...

I was just bustin' your chops anyways...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Quint reviews Disturbia...

And you know what - he's actually got me a little more interested in seeing this...
He makes it sound more than just some "teenage version of Rear Window"

And any time there's the chance to see a hot girl in a bikini - well - I'm there - like Kirk at an otter parade...

ETA: Can we change the title of this thread...the film is not a remake of Rear Window...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby buster00 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:40 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
ETA: Can we change the title of this thread...the film is not a remake of Rear Window...

To be blunt, it's more like a ripoff than a remake.

To be fair, it does look like it's worth a watch.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Anyone see Disturbia? Fucking excellent and fun thriller. If you get the chance, see it in a theater filled with 14 year old girls like I did. Christ, you would have though the theater was subject to alien attack, apocalypose, being dropped from a high place, a category 27 hurricane, forest fires and earthquakes. Every swerve and jump scare had the whole audience screaming like we were in a haunted house.

Oh and my boyfriend went with me, and apparently he too has the emotional dignity of a 14 year old girl, because he responded the same way.

Anyway, the movie was incredible fun, and incredibly well made.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:04 pm

I watched this on TV a few nights ago. Yes, I've been OD'ing on movies lately.

Anyways, it's good, not great, but good. Certainly entertaining.

Quint says in his review: I very much recommend this flick. I had a blast with it. It won't change your life, but it's smart, filled with great performances and it's entertaining as all hell.

......and he's right it is entertaining as all hell. One scene comes to mind when Shia's character blasts the sound of his iPOD stereo system across the yard to drown out his love interest's house party. ;)

LaBoeuf and Morse are really good in this. There's even a lawn gnome in this movie! Can't beat that!!!
Last edited by Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:08 pm

havocSchultz wrote:

Yes, it should be changed. No comparison at all. Just a fun little movie all on it's own.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:55 pm

I liked this, too. A bit too teeny-bopper for me, (I'm getting old, I guess) but good performances all around. Yet more proof that Shia can carry a movie all by himself.

The Asian sidekick guy, though? ANNOYING. I really hoped he was actually dead. I mean, like, REALLY.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Zarles wrote:I liked this, too. A bit too teeny-bopper for me, (I'm getting old, I guess) but good performances all around. Yet more proof that Shia can carry a movie all by himself.

The Asian sidekick guy, though? ANNOYING. I really hoped he was actually dead. I mean, like, REALLY.

Yeah, suffocated by the twinkie tower.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:03 pm

Or stabbed in the head with the garden shears. Either or.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Mutombo on Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:50 am

I watched the whole movie, but it certainly wasn't great. There are some moments that could've got me goosebumps had they avoided clichés, that could've made the film much more terrifying. On a 'holy shit wtf's going on how could this possibly be?' level instead of a 'OMG I jumped!' and 'whoa! I jumped again!' level.

minor spoiler for example:

In one scene shia is watching the supposedly scary neighbour through a fence. Next thing you know, the neighbour walks towards him (so are we believed to think) and starts asking, or demanding, what are you looking at? Before this even started we already know he's talking to a friggin cat or gnome or just a dandelion. BUT, if he actually SAW shia and actually confronted him that agressevily as he did confront the gnome (was it a gnome? I forgot) this scene would be so much fresher, more original and above all this scene would make you feel that in the rest of the movie you just don't know what to expect. Unfortunately, this cliché, which I'll call the "Thank God it's just a cat jumping" cliché, sets the stage for the rest of the movie.
Being dead's no fun.
Mutombo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Maui on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:12 pm

Mutombo wrote:Before this even started we already know he's talking to a friggin cat or gnome or just a dandelion. BUT, if he actually SAW shia and actually confronted him that agressevily as he did confront the gnome (was it a gnome? I forgot)

It was a bunny, which he killed with his bare hands. But, yeah, you kinda knew he wasn't talking to Shia through the fence.
Maui
WoWie

Postby junesquad on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:53 am

Disturbia was alright, but there were other movies that were better this summer.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:24 am

I thought Shia was pretty good, I'm definitely on the Shia bandwagon even though I dislike the two films I've seen him in (Transformers, and now Disturbia).

Disturbia was pretty weak over all. I have not seen Rear Window, so I don't give a crap about the similarities... No, this film sucked for different reasons:

1) The bad guy was so obviously the bad guy early on, without any sense of dread, surprise or doubt created by the character. He's just "ominous tall creepy dude." BOOOoOORRing!!!

2) The plot's got holes you could drive a blue Mustang through... suspension of disbelief taken to the extreme (and I very rarely comment on suspension of disbelief issues, as I'm perfectly happy suspending it)

Like I said, Shia was decent, and there are a couple of moments of respectable suspense (maybe they should've called the film The Disturbia Witch Project), but the best part of the entire film are the first few minutes, the father-son moments, which I thought were fairly well done.

4/10 (Bad, but could be worse I guess...)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:59 am

I thought Shia was good too. I'm not sure how I feel about the Beef's slow climb to world domination, but to be fair to the kid I've liked everything I've seen him in.

The movie itself was actually surprisingly similar to Rear Window. Shia's character (I think his name was Kale?) even spies on some of his other neighbors for entertainment a couple of times, who apparently all have fascinating lives. That aspect of the original was virtually abandoned here, so I felt like the filmmakers were throwing Hitchcock fans a bone with those scenes, scant though they may have been. The biggest deviation besides for the age of the leads is that Morse's character is a total psycho, and even though you pretty much know going in that he's the bad guy, a little subtlety would have made all the scenes where they question his guilt less tedious.

It is very much a teenybopper movie (alienation, the incompetence of authority, and lots of messy hormones), but the fact that the characters were actually well-acted and well-written (excepting one abominable scene where Shia woos his hot neighbor by telling her how much he stalks her) made it a reasonably entertaining watch overall for me, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing LaBeouf re-team with DJ Caruso for Eagle Eye now. A little too bad for a 6, a little too good for a 5, I guess I'd give it a 5.8-ish/10.

EDIT: if some of you think the title was bad, the namecheck it gets in the movie is much worse. One of the characters watches a neighbor get a striptease and quips "only in Disturbia!" It's like they came up with the title to the movie before they wrote the story, and figured they had to sneak it into the script somewhere.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby junesquad on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:58 am

You know, I hated Shia during his early days with the Disney channel, so when I saw that he was in these movies, I was horribly bummed. However, I still watched them and I was completely impressed in both. I think he did wonderful. Sadly, though, I felt both roles didn't require a wide range of acting skills and I am wondering if he could sell me on a majorly different character or if he is only good at that sarcastic teenager role.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby darkjedijaina on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:08 pm

I didn't even finish watching Disturbia. It bored me. Maybe I should have watched the whole thing, but I just wasn't feeling it.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:24 pm

Wathed it on the plane last night. Found it mildly entertaining. Shia is a good actor and really brought a sense of urgency to the situation even though the bad guy was a big dull dud. I find myself really impressed by Shia's performances in everything I have seen him in so far.

The film was instantly forgettable though. Mind you that chick was smoking hot!

And what happened to Carrie-Ann Moss' Ass?
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Disturbia ("it's Rear Window-esque!")

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:33 am

Reuters Movie News wrote:Spielberg ripped off Hitchcock classic: lawsuit
Monday September 8 4:15 PM ET

Steven Spielberg and major Hollywood studios stole the plot from Alfred Hitchcock's classic 1954 film "Rear Window" in making last year's "Disturbia," a lawsuit filed in Manhattan federal court on Monday said.

Dreamworks, its parent company Viacom Inc, and Universal Pictures, a unit of General Electric Co's NBC Universal, are accused of copyright infringement and breach of contract for making "Disturbia" without first obtaining permission from the copyright holders, the suit said.

Spielberg is credited as executive producer of the film, which grossed about $80 million at the U.S. box office, and is named as a defendant.

According to the lawsuit, filed by the Sheldon Abend Revocable Trust, the basis for Hitchcock's 1954 film was "Murder from a Fixed Viewpoint," a short story by Cornell Woolrich.

Hitchcock and actor James Stewart obtained the motion picture rights to the story in 1953. The lawsuit argues that Dreamworks should have done the same.

"What the defendants have been unwilling to do openly, legitimately and legally, (they) have done surreptitiously, by their back-door use of the 'Rear Window' story without paying compensation," the lawsuit said.

A spokesman for Spielberg declined to comment. Representatives of Viacom and NBC Universal were not immediately available for comment.

According to the lawsuit, "Disturbia" and the "Rear Window" story are "essentially the same." Both are murder mysteries beginning with a man who, while peering from his window, witnesses strange behavior in the home of his neighbor.

The protagonist in all three of the works behaves in essentially the same way, interacts with similar characters and the plot unfolds in basically the same way, the lawsuit said.

"In the Disturbia film the defendants purposefully employed immaterial variations or transparent rephrasing to produce essentially the same story as the Rear Window story," the lawsuit said.

In reviewing "Disturbia," the New York Times called it "a kind of adolescent 'Rear Window."' The Toronto Star newspaper called it "a rip off with wit."

(Editing by Daniel Trotta and Eric Beech)

Isn't there a statute of limitations? How long ago did this movie come out...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 am

Damn, Rear Window-esque indeed!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:53 am

Are they next going to sue Fox and Matt Groening for "The Simpsons" episode that riffed on Rear Window?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:33 am

Ah, but parody is protected!

It's only if you take the material seriously that you're in trouble. ;)

I haven't seen Disturbia yet, so I'm wondering: is it really that similar?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Next

Return to Movie Discussion