What Absolute/Complete Edition Would You Like...

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

What Absolute/Complete Edition Would You Like...

Postby Jahbulon on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:45 am

...to see most?

Having just scoured my way through the whole of Bone, and taken my handle from From Hell, both of which had every issue of the comic put together in catch-all collections, I wonder why so few other comics go the same route. TPBs usually cover just 6 or so issues...which is kind of a gyp really, unless those issues were a limited run to begin with.

I'll admit, I'm not a comics collector. I just don't have the time to run about after my favourite titles, when I don't even know if my store's going to carry them. Add to that the fact that Vertigo, which has carried most of my favourite titles, prints on paper that makes public toilet loo-roll look as lavish as precious hand-rolled Ancient Egyptian Papyrus, and I become a TPB man by default.

I also like to hurtle through stories headlong, without it being interrupted for a month come page 24.

I think if more comics went the Bone route, then that would be another step towards breaking open the industry even wider.

If we're talking about comics which had 60+ issue runs, then just go the Sandman route and Absolute them in two or three different books.

I also think that most people who read comics could stand to gain a bit of muscle-mass, and lugging about a 1200-page graphic novel will definitely help you with that... :wink:

Anyway, which series would you most like to see compiled together?

I'll start the ball rolling with Lone Wolf & Cub. :twisted: Heh Heh heh...
Jahbulon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:20 am

Damn son, some of the longer series NEED to be broken up into a number of TPBs... how the hell would they squeeze Lone Wolf & Cub into one volume without messing about with the panel layouts?

Hmm, I really don't keep up enough with comics to say what I'd like to see in one volume, but this is an interesting topic and hopefully the real comic nerds could make some good suggestions.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:31 am

When FABLES is finally finished...that NEEDS to be collected.

Now that Y: The Last Man is nearing its end...how about an Absolute: Y?

I would like to see Dan Slotts She Hulk collected as one large run.

Come to think of it there are a ton of runs I would like to see collected. Absolute Planetary needs to be re released as well.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:51 am

Does Fables really need to be lumped into one book though? I think the first story arc, with the Big Bad (pre-Arabian story), would benefit nicely from an absolute edition... I haven't been keeping up with the series since then, but I gather that the following arcs have all been shorter, TPB-like stories.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:56 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Does Fables really need to be lumped into one book though? I think the first story arc, with the Big Bad (pre-Arabian story), would benefit nicely from an absolute edition... I haven't been keeping up with the series since then, but I gather that the following arcs have all been shorter, TPB-like stories.

Does it need to be? No. Neither did the Sandman though and that is getting the Absolute treatment. Fables would be kick ass in the oversized format. Not to mention how amazing it would be to see some of those kick ass covers oversized and I could only imagine the goodies and special features they would include.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jahbulon on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:02 am

I, for one, would really love to see Absolute Fables. Especially seeing as how I gave up around the 30th issue (it was the one where Jack got officially banned from Fableland) because my nearest comic shop closed down. It would be great seeing Snow White and Bigby's relationship slowly evolve again.

Another suggestion: Miracleman. I've read the first couple of issues- the first issue, and one from when Neil Gaiman took over the helm- and I can attest that, unlike most urban myths, it IS all it's cracked up to be. I'll admit, I was a bit worried when I first started reading. The first half of the first issue is written in tongue-in-cheek "classic" style, which is good enough, but I almost thought the whole thing was going to be laid-out like that. Luckily it wasn't (if you're reading this, Jack Kirby, despite being dead, then don't take it the wrong way).

I don't blame Gaiman for not finishing the last few issues until he knows for sure that the rights issues are going to be cleared up. I think he even created a whole company devoted to the cause, that's how big a chip he's got on his shoulder about the way he's been treated by MacFarlane a al.

As of now, there are 24 completed issues, and one half-complete issue. Just the right length for an Absolute edition.
Jahbulon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:13 am

Just getting Miracleman released would be an accomplishment, but an Absolute Edition would make me as giddy as could be.

Fables has been the best comic book around for years. It deserves to be collected in a way that represents that fact.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:32 am

Every Batman comic ever in one hardback.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:54 am

I'd go with Akira. Box up the whole thing, include the film on Blu-Ray/HD and the score CD.

I think the entirety (or almost) of Valiant's run of comics would be nice to have collected. Specifically Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, X-O Manowar, Magnus, Rai, the Unity series, and so on. I know they recently did the reissue of Harbinger, I need to pick that up badly.

A collection of Fathom, or Battle Chasers would be good, too.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:02 am

The Immortal Blade would be sweet. I have always wanted to get into that but at 100+ issues its sort of hard.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books