HEARTS OF DARKNESS on DVD - never thought I'd see the day

Betamax and beyond

HEARTS OF DARKNESS on DVD - never thought I'd see the day

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:10 pm

They are finally releasing the DVD of the documentary chronicling the making of APOCOLYPSE NOW. Francis Ford Coppola personally held this title from being released on DVD. It made VHS and laserdisc, but never DVD. Many anticipated it to be a part of the "Complete Dossier" that seemed somewhat less than complete without this well known compendium.

Recently, in mythos of the web interviews and magazine compilations, Francis had said the movie would have to be edited or modified to give a better context to some of the rants and raves from the film or he'd never approve of it. One of the 2 directors was on Jon Favreau's DINNER FOR FIVE and discussed his attempts to get the movie released on DVD and his debates with Francis on getting it out. Neither seemed to be giving an inch.

I don't know what happened, but it's now coming out. I don't believe it's edited in any way, but I know that Francis & his wife Eleanor do commentary tracks to give some perspective on the scenes that you see. The most fascinating part is that Eleanor shipped a box of audio tapes to the documentary filmmakers that they never intended to and that comprises some of the most shocking and compelling (and the bare truth) in the film HEARTS OF DARKNESS.

In truth, I have never scene this movie and it has become a high priority to me to see it. I'm going out on a limb and buying this one sight unseen. I know this is something most film buffs should partake.

Anyone else know of any info?
Last edited by sonnyboo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:12 pm

It's in my Amazon shopping cart!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Theta on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:43 pm

I was shocked this was hitting disc myself, especially since it flew so low under the radar. At a guess, I'd say Francis has finally mellowed out, or at least realized the cat's been out of the bag for decades and it's not worth fighting anymore.

Either way, I pick it up Tuesday.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

WHOA

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:19 pm

I finally watched this last night and it was spectacular. It is the perfect compendium to the "Complete Dossier" DVD. This documentary really showed more about the insanity and process of a creative mind gone mad.

It was spectacular to see this finally. I loved George Lucas and John Milius' interviews too. They have such a different persepective and style than Francis.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone who likes the Coppola movies.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:51 pm

i've been waiting to see this for a long time. it's at the top of my netflix queue now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:53 pm

Anyone who hasn't seen this movie yet, should watch the movie first, not the DVD behind the scenes and stuff, in my opinion. I think it ruins the film and potentially overhypes it or makes your expectations and even overall enjoyment on it. It should be watched after the movie, and even after you've finished your own reflections on it.

The movie is simply one of the most remarkable, exceptional and extraordinary films I've ever seen. Yes I meant, 'EVAAAHHH!!'. It is virtually my favourite film in actual fact.

Noooowwww.... one question I have about this DVD - is it the same documentary 'Hearts of Darkness' that I already have on VHS, or is it an 'additional' documentary or behind the scenes commentaries to Hearts of Darkness as I already know and own?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:55 pm

It is the same as your VHS only remastered in 5.1 surround plus a new feature length documentary called "CODA... 30 years later" about Francis making YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH, the new film he's made digitally.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:57 pm

Cheers dude! Guess I wont be bothering with it now then! Haha!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:12 pm

It's even in 4:3...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Return to DVD / Blu-ray