ONCE Discussion

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

ONCE Discussion

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:44 pm

ONCE

…and but so I’m not even sure that if I’d of heard the music of Glen Hansard (of The Frames) and Markéta Irglová (Czech pianist, they’re now dating, so both literally and figuratively they’ve “made musicâ€
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:50 pm

This indie Irish musical is the best film I've seen so far this year. It's no-budget, handheld cameras, and about as lo-fi a movie as it gets. But the sweeping emotion of it affected me more than any other movie this year. The songs are beautiful, the story is wonderful, and the characters feels real. I was moved to tears at least three times seeing it, and anyone who is awed by the act of creating art can appreciate this movie. It played at Sundance and won the Audience Award. Truly wonderful. Don't miss it.
Last edited by Nordling on Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:53 pm

Great film. I would definitely put it up there as one of the best films of the year thus far. It was briefly talked about in the 2007 movie journal thread.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Ive been trying to catch this, but haven't had a chance so far.

Nice to see a discussion on it sprout up.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nordling on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:21 pm

I just wish more people were talking about it. It's frustrating to me how people are talking about seeing RUSH HOUR 3 when they have genuine film magic playing elsewhere.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:26 pm

Nordling wrote:I just wish more people were talking about it. It's frustrating to me how people are talking about seeing RUSH HOUR 3 when they have genuine film magic playing elsewhere.

Is this limited release? I can't seem to find it anywhere. :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Gimme some more links and info on this movie guys. I need to know more.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nordling on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:36 pm

Well, it's 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. It won the World Audience Award at Sundance. It's playing on about 150 screens here in the States. I wish it would open wide, but this is a fragile, fragile film. It won't play for the unwashed masses, but for those people with a romantic heart and a love for music, it's going to own your world.

Read some reviews here if you like... but I actually suggest you go in blind.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:16 pm

Keepcool's been championing this movie around here for a couple of months now, and I've kept that recommendation in mind ever since (especially 'cause his last recommendation to me turned out to be so outstanding). I'm curious to see what he'll be posting in here. [/pressure]
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Jeebus H. Cripes I was welling up just watching that fucking trailer. That music sounded about as depressing as it gets...
Turns out its playing at a theater only a few miles away from me.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Does anyone have a link to a good quality *cough*quicktime*cough* trailer?

so sorry, you should totally go see it, it has the KCBC hairless nutsack stamp of approval!

EDIT: And don't forget to take your loved one!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nordling on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:24 pm

I wasn't depressed at the end of it. I was exhilarated. This is what movies are about, to me.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:25 pm

Hah my friend just recommended this to me a minute ago. He saw it saturday and then immediately bought the soundtrack.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:50 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Does anyone have a link to a good quality *cough*quicktime*cough* trailer?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/once/
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Does anyone have a link to a good quality *cough*quicktime*cough* trailer?

That's a very powerful trailer.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Cool trailer, but there's a shot in it that totally spoils the ending.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:48 pm

Maui wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Yeah, wow. Seconded.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:52 pm

Nordling wrote:Cool trailer, but there's a shot in it that totally spoils the ending.

Well NOW it does... :roll:

JK...Kinda
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
Maui wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Yeah, wow. Seconded.

Yeah well the film looks terrific and rather nice. It's got my attention now anyway, critic slurping one liners or no critic slurping one liners.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nordling on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:59 pm

Again, I don't want to overhype the film. It's very small, intimate really, and doesn't reach for any grand statements about the nature of music, creation, or love. It's about two people, and their connection. But I found it incredibly powerful and moving.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:44 am

ONCE is, as Nord stated, amongst the best films of the year...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:21 pm

This is such a beautiful story, like Nordling says, it's small and intimate - but definitely one of the best films of 2007. The music is breathtakingly emotional. It brought tears to my eyes.

A MUST see.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Quint on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:55 pm

I saw this at Sundance... was one of my first Sundance movies, actually, and a total surprise. I knew nothing about it at all other than I believed it to be an Irish Musical... It totally was not Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

I've done my best to pimp it on the site... my review from Sundance was glowing, I interviewed Hansard and Irglova as the film was beginning its limited release and I posted about it every chance I could get. I still listen to the soundtrack at least once a week.

You guys are right. It's an amazing little movie.
Quint
AICN Crew

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:00 pm

I was noticing earlier today that the album art for The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and the Once soundtrack look very similar:

...I don't know whether that's intentional, but I thought it was worth pointing out.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Excellent. After reading through the thread a bit I'm very excited to see this. Neither this film nor The Frames were really on my radar at all until I saw them live a couple of weeks ago at Bumbershoot. They were fantastic! I need to try to watch this this week sometime.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:56 am

I'm in a hotel room for the next few days, and the Spectravision has Once!!!!

Too late for tonight, but I must see this tomorrow.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:20 pm

[quote="Keepcoolbutcare"]ONCE

…and but so I’m not even sure that if I’d of heard the music of Glen Hansard (of The Frames) and Markéta Irglová (Czech pianist, they’re now dating, so both literally and figuratively they’ve “made musicâ€
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nordling on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:39 pm

It's still my #1 of the year, and I've seen some phenomenal movies this year. 2007 is one of the best film years in a while.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:45 pm

I finally saw this last weekend and it will definitely make my top 10 of the year. I can't say anything that hasn't been said before.

Also, I'm a big folk fan in general so it had me from the first song.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby d_the_sandman on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:54 pm

I loved this movie. Definitely on my top 10 for the year, and I don't see that changing.

If nobody else wants to do it, I'll be the first to admit that in my personal opinion I didn't think the music was all that good (generally speaking).........and I'm sure that if most of you in this thread heard the songs outside of such an amazing film, like for example coming from the mouth of some random indie-pop songbird like Damian Rice or some shit, you wouldn't be as enthusiastic about it either. But the music was realistic for these characters to be making, which added SO much more to the movie than if they had been made to sing some polished pre-written songs by Cat Power or Fiona Apple, so I can't say it's a bad thing.

Anyway..........good thread.
d_the_sandman
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:56 am

d_the_sandman wrote:I loved this movie. Definitely on my top 10 for the year, and I don't see that changing.

If nobody else wants to do it, I'll be the first to admit that in my personal opinion I didn't think the music was all that good (generally speaking).........and I'm sure that if most of you in this thread heard the songs outside of such an amazing film, like for example coming from the mouth of some random indie-pop songbird like Damian Rice or some shit, you wouldn't be as enthusiastic about it either. But the music was realistic for these characters to be making, which added SO much more to the movie than if they had been made to sing some polished pre-written songs by Cat Power or Fiona Apple, so I can't say it's a bad thing.

Anyway..........good thread.

That's a good point sandman, and I'd probably agree... the music was good because it worked well in the context of the film and its characters... in fact, learning that the main players are professional musicians sort of takes away some of the film's magic for me. I didn't research this in any way, but that's what I gather from some of the comments in this thread.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby d_the_sandman on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:49 am

Yeah, they are both real musicians and are actually touring together right now, presumably while the movie is still free promotion. They just made a stop in Austin last month.
d_the_sandman
GLIB

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:59 am

I think the music works so well because the story is such a beautiful one.

If it was just music playing in the background - a regular soundtracked movie without the intimate story - would it have been anything extra special? - likely not.

This is also one of my top 10 ten movies for 2007!

Good point Sandman! :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:38 am

See, I love the music regardless. I'm becoming a fan of the Frames now.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:39 am

I saw this last night, and I gotta tell you guys. I don't think I have a soul. I was as bored by this as I was Amelie.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:44 am

TonyWilson wrote:I saw this last night, and I gotta tell you guys. I don't think I have a soul. I was as bored by this as I was Amelie.

I also saw it last night. Maybe I stole your soul from you 'cause I cried like a baby!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:46 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I saw this last night, and I gotta tell you guys. I don't think I have a soul. I was as bored by this as I was Amelie.

I also saw it last night. Maybe I stole your soul from you 'cause I cried like a baby!!!

Soul stealer!!!!

Bah, I get that objectively it's a worthwhile film but I was unmoved and found the natural approach to be too calculated in the end.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Nordling on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:47 am

I don't get that the natural approach was calculated. I just think they were broke as hell. :)
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Nordling wrote:See, I love the music regardless. I'm becoming a fan of the Frames now.

Yeah I do too Nordling. I burned most of their tunes onto CD after I saw the movie. I think the lyrics, the instrumental and the vocals all play nicely together - I wouldn't say that the lead singer is outstanding - but with the whole ensemble - it really works!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:53 pm

Glen Hansard was in THE COMMITMENTS as the band's guitarist, Outspan. In a way, ONCE is a sort of spiritual sequel to it; as in THE COMMITMENTS music inspired and changed these low-end Dubliners' lives, ONCE's music inspires a beautiful (if unrequited) love between two people, and both are changed by it at the end.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby DDMAN26 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Once-I didn't understand the hype at all with this movie. I thought the story moved very slowly. The songs were mediocore at best. And I thought the main actor wasn't that great of a singer. D-
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:21 pm

As someone who's always wanted to travel to Ireland, the fact that Dublin was almost another character in this movie certainly gave it a few extra points in my book. Sort of a musical, but sort of not, Once is so lo-fi that at times you take for granted just how well-made it is. Very charming tale, with a refreshing spin on characterization, dialogue, and the romantic/underdog formula in general, that warmed the cockles of my heart at times. Although I didn't find myself as moved by the story as some people, I get its appeal.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 pm

*breathes sigh of relief*

I thought I was the only one

I didn't dislike the movie, I just wasn't blown away the way some people were. I appreciate that they created something entertaining with zero budget, and for the first 30 minutes I was into it, but then it just kinda lost my interest. The songs are sweet the first time they're played, but then they're repeated again and again, wearing out their welcome (for me.)

A classic case of a movie that isn't at all bad, just didn't live up to the hype.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:58 am

Watching this movie I was at first a little annoyed by the poor cinematography, but slowly it occurred to me that perhaps a better shot movie wouldn't have worked nearly as well. The seemingly haphazard look of the film intially gives it a delicate, even precarious quality, as if the whole movie were just on the verge of falling apart. This left me not only rooting for the similarly disheveled protagonist, but the film itself. By the end you are pleasently suprised to find that the film has succeded in its modest, but perfectly admirable goals. Nothing it does is especially original. I've heard it more than once described as a sort of emo Brief Encounter, but its very unassuming nature is apart of its appeal, and I think its innocuousness has sheltered it from harsher criticism. Nobody really wants to kick down this quintessential underdog film, and really neither do I, but still...
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:56 am

"but still" what? You're gonna kick it down anyway? HEARTLESS!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:07 am

DaleTremont wrote:

*breathes sigh of relief*

I thought I was the only one

I didn't dislike the movie, I just wasn't blown away the way some people were. I appreciate that they created something entertaining with zero budget, and for the first 30 minutes I was into it, but then it just kinda lost my interest. The songs are sweet the first time they're played, but then they're repeated again and again, wearing out their welcome (for me.)

A classic case of a movie that isn't at all bad, just didn't live up to the hype.

PHEW!

Totally get what you mean. And I'm really really sick of this folky singer/songwriter music. Devendra Banhart has a lot to answer for - while his stuff is weird and creepy (the way all good folk music should be) there's been tonnes of undue hype given to people playing the most reactionary and twee music as people scramble to jump on the freak folk bandwagon.
TonyWilson

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:53 am

Pacino86845 wrote:"but still" what? You're gonna kick it down anyway?

No, its just that I have a few reservations about it is all.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Yes, but the performance by the Lawn Gnome was outstanding.
Maui
WoWie

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 pm

Maui wrote:

That's a bit harsh on Audrey Tautou. An elf or a pixie perhaps, but not a gnome...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Maui wrote:

That's a bit harsh on Audrey Tautou. An elf or a pixie perhaps, but not a gnome...

ahem, granted the gnome appears a bit flat here.

Maui
WoWie

Next

Return to Movie Discussion