Tie-ins: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:11 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
king_of_nowhere wrote:anyway, Aladdin for the MEGA DRIVE kicked ass.

If I remember right, it was made by the same guys who did "Earthworm Jim".

Yeah, Dave Perry coded it in 3 months or something, right before he left Virgin & started Shiny.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby vicious_bastard on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:18 pm

Nordling wrote:There was a side-scroller for ALIEN 3 that was actually pretty kickass. Guns galore, unlike the movie.

Yeah - I had that on the Amiga. The Blues Brothers was a pretty nifty platformer too. Goldeneye on the N64 takes the prize though - best multiplayer ever.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:54 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:
Nordling wrote:There was a side-scroller for ALIEN 3 that was actually pretty kickass. Guns galore, unlike the movie.

Yeah - I had that on the Amiga. The Blues Brothers was a pretty nifty platformer too. Goldeneye on the N64 takes the prize though - best multiplayer ever.

I wasted months of my life playing Goldeneye multiplayer with friends. Oddjob was the fucking man in that game.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Nordling on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:56 pm

I always liked the STAR WARS sit-down coin-op where you flew an X-Wing at the Death Star battle.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:57 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I wasted months of my life playing Goldeneye multiplayer with friends. Oddjob was the fucking man in that game.

You only liked oddjob because you could karate chop everyone in the chinese balla, eh Tony?

;)

If you played at Jaws, headshots were much easier but on stairs people would see you coming a mile away.

I had a 48 hour stint on Goldeneye with 1 friend. We had health and armor on full and afterwards we came out with scores of 250 to 200. I won! Proudest fucking 2 days of my life. You do not know how many Grenades and head shots it take to kill someone on that level. And of course the levels of choice were Facility (the toilets hehe!) and archives.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:59 pm

papalazeru wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I wasted months of my life playing Goldeneye multiplayer with friends. Oddjob was the fucking man in that game.

You only liked oddjob because you could karate chop everyone in the chinese balla, eh Tony?

;)

If you played at Jaws, headshots were much easier but on stairs people would see you coming a mile away.

Heh, Oddjobs height made him much harder to "boomheadshot!11!1"
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Nordling on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:01 pm

Two words for GOLDENEYE...

Proximity mines.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Nordling wrote:Two words for GOLDENEYE...

Proximity mines.

Now your talking. Battles with just those. Endless fun.

I don't think there was a bad level in that game. Although I remember beating the Caverns on the hardest difficulty was almost impossible. I had actually completed everything on that. All cheats.

I think The Control Room was probably the toughest because you had protect the chick while she was on the computer.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Nordling wrote:I always liked the STAR WARS sit-down coin-op where you flew an X-Wing at the Death Star battle.

Yes, awesomeness.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:07 pm

Nordling wrote:Two words for GOLDENEYE...

Proximity mines.

Ohohoho yes. The sheer joy of watching one of your mates walk right into one you'd planted under the walkway has been unsurpassed since.
TonyWilson

Postby Nordling on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:09 pm

Screw one. I'd drop 5. The ensuing conflagration was beautiful. Smelled like... victory.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:10 pm

Nordling wrote:I always liked the STAR WARS sit-down coin-op where you flew an X-Wing at the Death Star battle.

How about Rogue Squadron, that was a great series. The voice-acting was so good you might have thought they got the original actors for it.

Then you have the very underated Shadow of the Empire.

Battlegrounds....Pod-racing.....some great ones.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:11 pm

When it comes to SW games, it's difficult for me to be impartial. Hell, I even loved MASTERS OF TERAS KASI.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:15 pm

Nordling wrote:When it comes to SW games, it's difficult for me to be impartial. Hell, I even loved MASTERS OF TERAS KASI.

heheh.

There have so many Star Wars games we should start a new thread just about them. A few fantastic ones, a few so-so, a number of horrible (many of the PC games).

I still love KOTOR. Dark Forces was great too. X-Wing and TIE-Fighter sucked away much of my childhood. Anyone else ever use the cheat codes to make your x-wing invulnerable and then blow up star destroyers??
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby vicious_bastard on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:17 pm

papalazeru wrote:

;)

I had a 48 hour stint on Goldeneye with 1 friend. We had health and armor on full and afterwards we came out with scores of 250 to 200. I won! Proudest fucking 2 days of my life. You do not know how many Grenades and head shots it take to kill someone on that level. And of course the levels of choice were Facility (the toilets hehe!) and archives.

I blame that game for my failing a year of university. We went as far as to get several TVs linked up to the one console and blacked-out all but our own sections of the screen. SO much better when people can't see you lying in wait in a different corner of the screen or zoom straight to where you have just spawned. I'm getting delayed withdrawal symptoms right now.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:18 pm

Oh, I totally failed my first (and only) year of college due to a free coin-op of TRON that was in the student lounge. It got rigged so we could play it for free and I skipped tons of classes playing the lightcycles.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:19 pm

I kinda dig Star Wars Battlefront II for PS2.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:21 pm

What about Friday the 13th?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:22 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:What about Friday the 13th?

The NES game where you had to run from cabin to cabin & they all looked the same?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Nordling on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:23 pm

Ugh, that one was terrible.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:25 pm

Game, set, WAITFORIT... Match.

Worst tie-in ever.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:27 pm

Fawst wrote:Image

Worst tie-in ever.

Yo! sucked! for sure.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:27 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:What about Friday the 13th?

The NES game where you had to run from cabin to cabin & they all looked the same?

Yeah that game was pure suck. and a hard suck at that.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:29 pm

And I actually liked the Friday the 13th game. It scared the shit out of me when Jason would show up randomly. The worst part about that game was trying to get past Jason's mother's flying head.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:29 pm

My goodness, okay so I just wiki'd a few from my collection.

A few obscure titles for everyone to think about.

First, Battle for Naboo which was appearantly a big deal because of the draw distance it was capable of for the N64. I never really cared for it though. The ground vehicles sucked.

Then you have Rogue Squadron 3 which people didn't care for. I loved it. It took the battle of Hoth that we all played a million times, and gave it new life. First you did the typical protecting of the base. But then! It put you on the ground as Luke. Then you got to fly the X-wing and protect the transporters. *drools* And one level allowed you to control an AT-AT.

And don't forget Lego Star Wars. The original trilogy is so much fun. And funny!!!!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Fawst wrote:Image

Worst tie-in ever.

What the hell was that?
Was it like Paperboy but with pizzas?

EDIT:

Oh, i just checked wiki. That looks & sounds awful.
They should've went with the Paperboy idea.

EDIT 2:

Wiki
Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:36 pm

Please answer Fawst. I'm very interested to find that one out too.

papalazeru

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:40 pm

Yeah that game was really well made, it was for the SNES. Speaking of which, the Star Wars games for the SNES were pretty damned fun too, particularly Empire Strikes Back if memory serves.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:

Yeah that game was really well made, it was for the SNES. Speaking of which, the Star Wars games for the SNES were pretty damned fun too, particularly Empire Strikes Back if memory serves.

Oh yes. The music was literally astound with good use of the DSP chip.

papalazeru

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:47 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:

That was listed on Cracked's Ten Hardest Old School Games list here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:54 pm

The short version is that it was a character like Ronald McDonald (or more to the spirit of the character, the Hamburglar) for advertising of Domino's Pizza, a delivery pizza chain here in the US. I seem to remember a promotion where Domino's promised to sell pizzas that didn't have any bubbles in the crust, and the Noid represented pizza places that did? Something like that? Point is, he was kind of a villain character, and they turned him into the protagonist of a shitty localization of a Ninja game from Japan.

Side note: the guy who "created" Domino's is a religious whack-job. He created a closed-gate community for Christians only, or something like that, and does lots of donations to pro-life groups. Oh yah, and their pizza sucks.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

That was listed on Cracked's Ten Hardest Old School Games list here

HAHAHA, then maybe I was referring to Return of the Jedi for the SNES, I can't remember anymore...

Thanks for that link though, I totally agree about Punch Out and Ninja Turtles. I was pretty young (about 9) when I played those games, and never made it past that crazy Indian guy who'd start flying all over the ring in Punch Out. I think I'd made it pretty far in Ninja Turtles but gave up after some point... back then there were a lot of really difficult games, and making it to the end was a real accomplishment. Nowadays it's just a matter of putting in the hours, anyone can finish most modern console games.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:10 pm

Fawst wrote:The short version is that it was a character like Ronald McDonald (or more to the spirit of the character, the Hamburglar) for advertising of Domino's Pizza, a delivery pizza chain here in the US. I seem to remember a promotion where Domino's promised to sell pizzas that didn't have any bubbles in the crust, and the Noid represented pizza places that did? Something like that? Point is, he was kind of a villain character, and they turned him into the protagonist of a shitty localization of a Ninja game from Japan.

While we're at crappy tie in games for food products I have to add 'Stoppt den Callipo Fresser'. Sideway scrolling helicopter that had to evade obstacles and collect ice cream to save the world, or something like that.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Al_Shut wrote:While we're at crappy tie in games for food products I have to add 'Stoppt den Callipo Fresser'.

Yeah, I remember that one!
Damn, I didn't want to remember it. :P
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fawst on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:50 pm

Well, if Seventh Heaven taught us anything, it's that Ice Cream, like time, heals all wounds. I'm sure it can save the world in the hands of a helicoptor pilot confined to X and Y-plane movement.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:50 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:HAHAHA, then maybe I was referring to Return of the Jedi for the SNES, I can't remember anymore...

Thanks for that link though, I totally agree about Punch Out and Ninja Turtles. I was pretty young (about 9) when I played those games, and never made it past that crazy Indian guy who'd start flying all over the ring in Punch Out. I think I'd made it pretty far in Ninja Turtles but gave up after some point... back then there were a lot of really difficult games, and making it to the end was a real accomplishment. Nowadays it's just a matter of putting in the hours, anyone can finish most modern console games.

I remember beating both of those games, but yeah they were tough. Im not sure how old I was at the time.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Empire Strikes back was tough, but only because Vader was a GOD at the end. Super Star Wars at least gave you a fighting chance to win (especially if you did the "jump in the pit to get 3 lives, die, repeat" trick. Empire and Jedi were insanely hard.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:09 pm

ZOOL
Possibly the most product placement in a game ever.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby LaDracul on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Let's see what else...

Even though I'm from the US, I saw footage of games based on "The Young Ones" and "Little Britain" online and I have to say, why did they even bother? It's like how that "Family Guy" game looked terrible (Though the sub plot of Peter thinking Mr. Belvedere wants to kill him and a minigame about firetrucks in the wild, the brilliant non sequitir gag from the episode "Petarded" DOES make me want to rent it to try.), yet it was still made. -sigh-

And how is the XBOX version of "Eragon" different? I know there's another level to it...but how does it suck?
Last edited by LaDracul on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:18 pm

gotta second, KON. E.T. for the atari. that one was bad.

though, this isn't necessarily a movie tie-in. but it was for a band. Journey: Escape. That was kinda fun. It went kind of like Asteroids.

darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:30 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:Journey: Escape. That was kinda fun. It went kind of like Asteroids.

Hehehe... even a better, eh? was a the original arcade game, eh? The Dino, he remembers it a 'cos it used a the digitized, black anna white photographs of a the band members for a the heads onna the little animated bodies, eh?

From a the Wikipedia entry onna the game:

Although they have cartoon bodies, the faces of the members are shown as black and white photographs, taken of the band while on tour. The photo technology was originally to be used in another game, which would take photos for the high scores. However, the game in question failed location testing when one player flashed at the camera.

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Putzes...

ETA: Goddamn... I think a the parentheses, they mess uppa my URL, no?

ETA: KON, thank a you for a the tinyURL, eh? Anna after alla the bad things I said about a you inna the Mod Room, no? :wink:
Last edited by DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby LaDracul on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Speaking of awful band tie-ins, there was an N*SYNC game that blatantly ripped off "Burgertime" in one level.

-sigh-
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:51 pm

An NSYNC game?
was this arcade or what?
Link? Screen shots?

EDIT:

Ah, on the GBC
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby LaDracul on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:56 pm

This was for Game Boy Color and was a series of mini games that revolved around each guy-

Though a game based on that one Backstreet Boys video where they're the monsters would've been excellent... Hmm, though the idea of a game with a Gothic Lolita heroine versus a group of bishounen monsters sounds like it would be a great game...though there is a DS game that's sorta like it in Japan...wish they'd bring it here...

Instead, there was just a puzzle game for the PC where it was just a jigsaw puzzle you had to complete. Though when they had "The Backstreet Project" website, they had this game almost like Balloon Pop which was addicting...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:01 pm

While we're on the subject of musicians making games...

Shite!

Also, those terrible "make a video" boy band games for the SEGA CD/MEGA CD.

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:18 pm

LaDracul wrote:And how is the XBOX version of "Eragon" different? I know there's another level to it...but how does it suck?

Graphically it's awful.

The combo system is awful. (how many "combos" are there, 3-4?)

The levels are short. The only reason they feel long is because they have been artificially lengthened by making enemies take so much damage.

The dragon flying levels are a series of rail shooting button mashing. And they're so glitchy. You might not make contact with a wall, but the game seems to think you did.

Voice-acting, while done by the actors, isn't any good. And that might be the part they put the most effort in.

The extras were pretty good. They showed making of stuff. BUT! They almost talk about how they felt they were making this game that was going to be an amazing experience. And clearly they were wrong.

That level inside the castle that takes an hour to get through. Yea that one didn't help me enjoy it any more. The repetition helped me lose my mind.

The gameplay balance. You didn't really have a need to use your sword for much of the combat because you could just sit back and shoot arrows. They worked much better then anything else. The designers probably didn't want them to be that powerful.

The final boss was as lame a boss as you could find. Very stripped down stuff.

The level design was okay but the stealth portion did nothing for me. It wasn't so much stealth as, find an alternate path that saves you 2 minutes. Plus sometimes you could skip about 45 minutes of useless combat by just running through to the next checkpoint without dying. Sometimes you had to fight for 45 minutes.

I went through the game on the hardest difficulty so maybe it's better when it's easy? I found all the eggs to. I pretty much did everything I could in that game.

I'm not a fan of it :wink:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:23 pm

godzillasushi wrote:I'm not a fan of it :wink:

Man i couldn't tell. Thanks for the summary. :wink:
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:25 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:I'm not a fan of it :wink:

Man i couldn't tell. Thanks for the summary. :wink:

I'm just doin' my part man. My dream is an end to bad gaming, and that begins with convincing people not to buy bad games.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:38 pm

Movie tie-ins are an automatic "No-Buy" policy for me. Even the absolute best movie-to-game ever, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. Rented it, loved it, beat it, got it for free from a friend who actually didn't like it. *shrug*
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:43 pm

I'm in a weird way opposite. If it's from a franchise that I love, sometimes it's difficult not to. I have some vague hope that the game may actually turn out to be good.

Escape From Butcher Bay is outstanding, though.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Games