Are you an albums man or a track man?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Albums man or Singles man?

Who needs to hear their "jazz" cover of God Save the Queen? If you buy a single you just get the killer tracks and skip the filler tracks. Single's man all the way.
9%
An album is more than just a collection of songs, it's one big song. And who listens to just the first 30 seconds of a song? Album's man all the way.
79%
I'm a woman!!!
12%

Total votes : 33

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:56 pm

A great single is better than a good album, but a great album is a transcendent experience. Unfortunately, there aren't that many great albums anymore, just lots of songs thrown together to surround the singles that eventually will be released.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:40 am

You need to talk to Tony and Doglips about that. I personally believe it's getting better over the last two years or so... If you're talking pop, though, sure, but that's been the way for a long while.

That said, when bands like Green Day and My Chemical Romance (no matter my personal feelings for them) release concept albums, you can't help but feel a tiny bit impressed. Well, I can't at any rate.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:35 am

Peven wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Now it's the albums! Back in the day (not that I would know) the single was king.

Anyway I would much rather see the artists full spectrum of creativity than just one hit song.

what do you mean, "back in the day"? if you mean the 50's, or early 60's, i'd say you're right, but starting in the mid 60's and then throughout the 70's the album ruled. where i lived, during the 70's, there was a rock radio station that based their identity on playing entire albums, not just singles. try finding a station that does that nowadays. currently, i'd say that singles are the way of things, for the most part, because of the way people can cherry pick what they want with i-tunes and other similar sources.

Thats exactly what I meant the 50's and 60's. I should have been clearer, but alas I was intoxicated.

As for itunes and such driving a singles market. I think thats more of the "radio friendly" type bands where as the other groups are still putting out albums.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:51 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Peven wrote:[quote ="stereosforgeeks"]Now it's the albums! Back in the day (not that I would know) the single was king.

Anyway I would much rather see the artists full spectrum of creativity than just one hit song.

what do you mean, "back in the day"? if you mean the 50's, or early 60's, i'd say you're right, but starting in the mid 60's and then throughout the 70's the album ruled. where i lived, during the 70's, there was a rock radio station that based their identity on playing entire albums, not just singles. try finding a station that does that nowadays. currently, i'd say that singles are the way of things, for the most part, because of the way people can cherry pick what they want with i-tunes and other similar sources.

Thats exactly what I meant the 50's and 60's. I should have been clearer, but alas I was intoxicated.

As for itunes and such driving a singles market. I think thats more of the "radio friendly" type bands where as the other groups are still putting out albums.[/quote]

i also think it depends on what age demographic you are talking about. i can see college age folks and older appreciating the good albums coming out, but i'm telling you, as the father of 2 highschool kids, the teens these days hardly know what the hell an album is, and their world consists of singles on their i-pods and mp3 players. another 10 years and they'll be 20-somethings and that sort of approach to buying and listening to music is going to be even more of a force in the market, because that is what they cut their musical-listening teeth on, thats what they know.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:05 pm

No contest for me. Has to be albums. A single is a great taster, but an LP is the full course and when it's a classic, a full course and a desert.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:56 pm

It's hard for me to decide. I do enjoy the experience of listening to an entire album, but I can also spend hours just randomly clicking on songs I like on iTunes.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:52 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:That said, when bands like Green Day and My Chemical Romance (no matter my personal feelings for them) release concept albums, you can't help but feel a tiny bit impressed. Well, I can't at any rate.

oops.

i thought you said de-pressed.

heh.
my bad.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:11 am

BUMP because I changed the thread title to what I was really trying to ask to begin with. The old title used to be: "Are you an albums man or a singles man", but I didn't really want to get into a 7 inch VS 12 inch debate (cue a havoc comment any second...)
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:40 am

Album man.
Most of the music I listen to is the whole album. Sure, I'll skip a track every now and then, but usually the whole album gets a listen. Looking back on this thread, I agree with those who say the album captures a whole mood. On top of that, for me the whole album is a bookmark in my life.

Pearl Jam's album "Ten" is the last couple of years of high school for me. It's an album that's absolutely sacred to me, and I can't even name a single recent PJ song.

The Police's "Synchronicity" is 3rd grade - when my brother was a senior in high school and would play the entire album all day long.

U2's "The Joshua Tree" - 7th grade. Love that fucking album front to back.

Talking Heads "Naked" - Another 7th grade classic.

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" - when I was 19 and started smoking a shitload of pot.

Phish - "A Picture Of Nectar" - See above.
Blues Traveler - "Travelers & Theives" - See above.
Primus - "Pork Soda" - See above.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

But yeah - the good albums.. the really good, timeless works of art... they are bookmarks in my life to when they impacted me the most. If I only like a single track from the band, it may be a great song but it doesn't say a whole lot about that band in my opinion.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:57 am

as someone who is a fan of the concept album, imo Pink Floyd is the KING of albums. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish Your Were Here, Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut.

of course, a nod must be made in the direction of the Beatles and Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, and The White Album.

now, Dire Straits didn't make concept albums, but they did pack them pretty well with good songs instead of just a single or two, and Mark Knopfler on the guitar is money.

these three bands are my own personal top 3 partly because i can pop in an album/cd, hit play, and walk away without worrying about selecting individual tracks.

the one newer group that has put out an album i loved and wore out was Maroon 5's "Songs About Jane". when it came out i would not only listen to it straight through, i would listen to it straight through 2 or 3 times in a row.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:37 am

Albums.

For the last few days I've had a cassette of Siamese Dream playing on a loop in my truck. Now, the singles from that record - and even in the early 90s it wasn't too common to have four singles from a rock record - are fantastic and speak very well to the varied sounds on the album, but there's just something about listening to whole thing front to back. The way it ebbs and flows and pulsates on that narcotic undertow the band is desperately lacking these days is amazing. A phenomenally sequenced and just downright dynamic album. Go get yourself a CD copy and listen to it with headphones. Aural bliss.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Music