Samurai Champloo

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Samurai Champloo

Postby Bean on Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:22 am

Samurai Champloo

Anyone watch this? It airs on [adult swim], it's the most kick-ass anime on that 'channel'.
Bean
AIRWOLF

love it

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:48 pm

Its from the same guy who made Cowboy Beboop. I just love the style of the Champloo. Its great. Anyone ever notice how the guy who does the voice for Moogin. Is like the voice for the badass in everything now?
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:27 pm

The style is simply breath-taking at times! And Moogin's voice is the original, don't care if anyone is copying it now :P
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:29 pm

I like the show, but it really seems to go no where. Every week starts off EXACTLY the same.

"Oh I'm so hungry..."

Loved the Marijuana Field fight though.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Bean on Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:11 pm

Oh man I loved that episode! Although it made me want to smoke at midnight real bad... :P
Bean
AIRWOLF

Very cool show.

Postby Pissed-Off Crawdad on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:58 pm

It gets better, too. Vol. 4 is out in stores now, but I don't think they've started airing it on Adult Swim yet.
Pissed-Off Crawdad
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:33 am

Thanks for the recommendation. Absolutely stunning fight scenes.

If anyone is into manga, it bears a striking similarity to "Blade of the Immortal". Not that that's a bad thing, just pointing that out.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:19 am

When the hell are the new episodes being aired?
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:29 am

This best be as good as you putzes make out, I'm downloading the first 26 episodes now (Japanese with Subs)and should have them all by Sunday.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:32 am

Hey remember I said it was repetitive. So don't lump me in with those other putzes.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:32 am

26!

Fuck, I'm only up to 16!

I thought anime gave you a headache?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:46 am

I feel like giving it a try, it is a Samurai after all.

It will become a slowburner probably, maybe one or two episodes a week, I honestly dont know what to expect from it.

If it's shit I can always just delete the files, no harm done.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:50 am

i love me some Champloo...

the opening sequence and music alone are worth the price of admission... beautiful!

i'm wondering if they will make a movie ala COWBOY BEEBOP... anybody have any news on that?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:39 pm

Up to episode 19.

I'm really digging the stand alone episodes. They show off the shows anarchic, punk tendencies really well. The pro-graffitti yet pro-literacy episode 18 had me ROFL.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:49 pm

I"ve watched the first two episodes today, if you are watching the Dubbed English version you are missing out on some great Voices here, although I thought it might be a bit more bloody, I like cartoons with tons of blood, other than that I'm totally diggin it. Thanks for the recommendation.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:54 pm

I watched the dubs with Y.T. (she's dyslexic and has trouble keeping up with dialogue heavy subtitled films) then watch them in Japanese.

I know I'm a dumb-ass american and all, but why assume I'd go with dub?
I told you about The Blade debacle. I'm down with Jarmusch's argument that you should watch films subtitled because the native language is part of what makes the film. That and even if you don't understand the language, language is universal, hence one can pick up inflections and meaning just from listening.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:58 pm

Hey I just thought the Dubbed ones were the ones they showed on TV in the States, I did say if & it wasn't directed specifically at you.

Dumb-ass American, your words not mine ;)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:10 pm

how many X's do I have to say I don't have TV, ya dumb stoner!

Why do you think I can't join in on the Rome love, why I haven't seen second season Galactica, why I have to pay frakin' i-tunes money so I can watch Lost season 2, why I'm gettin' really impatient waiting for the Wire Season 3 and Deadwood Season 2?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:18 pm

Keepcool, what are you trying to say? If you don't have time to watch the shows, just TiVo them.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:19 pm

But I wasn't talking to you I was talking to people with TV's who haven't bought import DVD's i.e.,Not You.

But I am a dumb Stoner, thats for sure.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:51 am

I finished watching Samurai Champloo last night, what a great ending to the series. KC let me know when you have seen them all so we can talk spoilers.

Who do you prefer Jin or Mugen or are you all about Momo San, the flying Squirrel?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:25 pm

John-Locke wrote:I finished watching Samurai Champloo last night, what a great ending to the series. KC let me know when you have seen them all so we can talk spoilers.
Who do you prefer Jin or Mugen or are you all about Momo San, the flying Squirrel?

They've released 5 DVD's here in the States, so I'm upto episode 20.

You said before that there were 26 available at BitTorrent, so is that it? Did the show end it's run or are there more episodes? Disc 6 is coming out on Nov. 22nd, so I'll be upto episode 24 on the 23rd.

Early on, I was a Jin man, but now, all Mugen, all the time.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:32 pm

Yeah the story ends on episode 26, it was very very satisfying. The last three episodes are all the same story.

I'm getting Cowboy Bebop now.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:12 pm

I wanna get into Cowboy Bebop. I've seen a couple episodes on adult swim and dug 'em. And the one with the assassin clown dude was creepy as all get-out
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:17 pm

Adam Balm, that is the best sig pic EVER! FAMILY CTHULU!!! help!!!

i'm PAMPILASHING all over the place!!!

John-Locke, please say you won't be keeping that avatar up. it makes me feel sad inside.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:18 pm

Ribbons wrote:I wanna get into Cowboy Bebop. I've seen a couple episodes on adult swim and dug 'em. And the one with the assassin clown dude was creepy as all get-out

COWBOY BEEBOP absolutely rules. the Cowboy Beebop Movie ("Knockin on Heaven's Door) is aces too. it takes place before the end of the series and is super cool...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:23 pm

I was't going to keep the Avatar up past tonight but with the responses I'm getting I may keep it just to make you poor fools suffer.

Is it really that disturbing?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Flumm on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:29 pm

In a word. Yes.

Sos mate.

I can't stop looking at that weird eye though, it's like it's morphing into a fish eye or something. Or it's a little baby stuffed olive, gestatating malevolently under his eyelid, waiting to reek vengance apon the cocktail guzzling, pizza munching, olive oil drenching scum of the universe.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:55 pm

John-Locke wrote:I was't going to keep the Avatar up past tonight but with the responses I'm getting I may keep it just to make you poor fools suffer.

Is it really that disturbing?

yeah, actually. don't get me wrong, i love the gore and trauma and deformity and stuff, but only when it's fake. when it's real (as it was in that picture) it's just kind of sad. i have lots of zombie friends with like their jaws blown off and limbs missing, but they're already dead, they don't miss 'em, they're kinda cool with it. but this guy, i don't know, i just feel sad for him. that's all. call me mr. senstive zombie

i had the same reaction to the pics of the Harlequin Baby (hit link and scroll down the page for one of the most horrifying and depressing things i have ever seen in my entire life and/or undeath...)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:59 pm

Now that is sick, it looks like it's inside out.

Thanks for ruining my day ;)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:06 pm

John-Locke wrote:Now that is sick, it looks like it's inside out.

Thanks for ruining my day ;)

No problem! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! Mwoo ha ha!!! :twisted:
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:44 pm

Cowboy Beebop is the shit. That series is the one that turned me on to Anime. Ok i'm going to say this both Cowboy and Samurai both end about 20 something episodes in. Either the guy is a genious for ending these series before the concept gets old or he sucks for depriving the world of two awesome shows.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:55 am

Coldfire24 wrote:Cowboy Beebop is the shit. That series is the one that turned me on to Anime. Ok i'm going to say this both Cowboy and Samurai both end about 20 something episodes in. Either the guy is a genious for ending these series before the concept gets old or he sucks for depriving the world of two awesome shows.

yeah, i'm a freak for COWBOY BEEBOP. the intro music / montage alone is worth all the praise in the world. it's beautiful and monumentally cool. the SAMURAII CHAMPLOO intro is awesome too...

you know what though? i'm glad that these stories end. actually thats one of the things i love about anime/manga -- the stories are usually finite. i like having an ending. i like consequences. i like that characters die and stay dead. this pretty much only happens in anime/manga. ending shows before they get stale elevates them into legend. american comics/cartoon artists still need to learn this....

Anyways, i'm hoping for a SAMURAII CHAMPLOO movie. please, please, please!!!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:23 am

Zombie, without going into detail in fear of Spoilers, where would you see the movie for Samurai Champloo going? I mean their story is told, you know a lot about each characters History. Maybe they could do a series based on the Detective & the remaining characters could pop in through coincidence?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:55 am

John-Locke wrote:Zombie, without going into detail in fear of Spoilers, where would you see the movie for Samurai Champloo going? I mean their story is told, you know a lot about each characters History. Maybe they could do a series based on the Detective & the remaining characters could pop in through coincidence?

i actually haven't seen all of the shows, so i'm not sure how it ends... (please no spoilers!!!)

the Cowboy Beebop movie came out after the series was over and told a story that happened somewhere between, like, episode 23 and 24 (i think).

it could be done. most of my reason for wanting to see a movie is because the animation quality will be better. the show has excellent animation, but the movies typically have bigger budgets. you know what i mean?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:03 pm

bump

I ended up downloading both the first episode of Samurai Champloo, and Samurai Jack today, and I was really impressed by both.

It's difficult to seperate them at this point, and to choose a favourite, but I think they were both very strong openers, and they really seemed to set the styles and directions of the shows up commendably well for 20 something minute shows.

It's a beautifull twist of fate, that two shows named Samurai, not only happen to be viscerally different, but both brilliantly entertaining, huh?

Both are gonna ger repeat veiwings before gearing up and plunging in for the rest of the episodes. Hopefully they will maintain the high standards I've seen already, and be something to savour in the coming weeks.

And thanks guys, it seems yet again I benifit from your cultural savvy. Tis much appriciated!

:roll: :D
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:13 pm

I been doing some catchup on animation. I watched the first episode of Samurai Champloo so far, and have four more in the oven. The animation is really beautiful, and the two swordsmen look like they're going to make an interesting odd couple. I'm watching these subbed, and pretty much agree with the notion that part of the experience is listening to a foreign language. So far so good.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:08 pm

Samurai Champloo was quite good but suffered a bit too much Bebop'itis with the filler for my tastes, as amusing as it was.

Favourite episode was probably the 2-part Mugin pirates bit.. enjoyed that more than the final even i'd say
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:28 pm

I just finished episode 9, and along with the first episode, this is probably my favorite so far because of how crazy everything gets. From mysterious forest demons, to revolution, to crucifictions, and ending in a great big psychedelic climax where everyone, literally everyone's bonkered on opium and starts partying with dancing frogs!!

I agree that some episodes feel like filler, but nevertheless every odd episode seems to have some nice character moments, mostly coming from secondary characters, but even the principal players get their share of reveals. I find the pacing to be similar to LOST, actually, which is at the same time frustrating but nevertheless leaves you yearning for what follows!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Return to Animation