Sweeney Todd

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:02 am

I'm glad you didn't like it Vicar, 'cause now I WILL seek out a version *cough*thereareways*cough* of the Hearn/Landesbury performance.

I'd give Burton's Sweeney Todd a 5/10.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Vicarious on Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:04 am

I liked it, but was disappointed. The music and visuals were outstanding, but the story wasn't very good and I think the gore was overdone. I don't have anything against onscreen violence, but showing it all only detracted from its power. It could have used a little more subtlety.

Sweeney Todd gets a generous 8/10 from me. I was really looking forward to this, and I was underwhelmed.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Vicar on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I'm glad you didn't like it Vicar, 'cause now I WILL seek out a version *cough*thereareways*cough* of the Hearn/Landesbury performance.

It will be a very different experience, I promise you.
Its just quite disappointing - all the pieces were in place
for something special.

I'd send you my DVD tomorrow if you're keen.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I'm glad you didn't like it Vicar, 'cause now I WILL seek out a version *cough*thereareways*cough* of the Hearn/Landesbury performance.

I also find it very interesting that you'd never seen The Todd ( the musical, not the Zoner ) and gave this production about the same score I did.
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:03 pm

I am frustrated to know more elaboration and even a review from the 86845 number on this one too though. 5/10 just begs more information.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Wiccan Woman on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:30 pm

I wanted to love Sweeney, I truly did.

I love the Hearns/Lansbury version. I've loved watching Depp's talent develop. I've loved watching Tim Burton go from a transvestite to Corpse Bride.

I didn't like this film all that much.

The believability of the story rests solely on the passion of the actors and the singing. It's what sells the show. That passion is what is missing from the film.

Depp has a very pleasant voice, but the ST role requires the power of a 'from the balls' voice. The kid who plays Toby already has that kind of voice, and he hasn't even hit puberty yet, lol!

Although Depp tried for the passion, frankly, I got tired of watching Johnny furrow his brow intensely.

Helen BC was an good Mrs. Lovett, but not great. However, to be fair, there's only Angela Lansbury to compare to. Not an enviable task, but Helen took it on, and did a good job.

Too much gore. We didn't need to be sold on the horror, fer crissake.

They didn't sing the title song. WTF??????? Thanks for the premature ejaculation, Burton. That's how I feel - completely frustrated. For that, you get a 3 / 10.
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:57 pm

Wow, no one really likes this.

I will definitely wait for DVD.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:21 am

I'm honestly a little suprised by a lot of the reviews on here so far. Just figured from how well it seemed to be received at BNAT and other critical reviews that this movie should have been pretty good.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:08 am

I'll be getting this on DVD. I doubt I'll see it before then.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:28 am

I was supposed to volunteer yesterday afternoon, but they had plenty of people already so I chose instead to drag my gf to Sweeney Todd.

I've seen the video of the stage version back in high school (more than a decade ago); I only have the vaguest of memories of it, but I've also read the play and always that it was a good thematic match for Tim Burton. So I was excited when I learned he'd be making this his next film.

I don't really have time to launch into a full review right now (I'm at work), but I will say that while a lot of the right pieces seemed to be in place, I think the approach to the material missed the mark a bit. I think this movie lacks the flair of the stage version. For all the gloom and doom inherent in the story of Sweeney Todd, the execution should have been more fun than depressing. That's pretty much the key missing ingredient right here: fun.

That's not to say this movie is a mess. It's beautiful to look at, it certainly has its moments, but it never really gels into a cohesive whole. In the end I think the creative forces behind this movie took things a bit too seriously and they forgot to have a romp with the material. It's not bad, just not fun.

6/10
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Nordling on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:06 am

You people are going to regret not seeing this in the theater later. I thoroughly disagree with most of these assessments. You shouldn't be so married to the stage play. I went and saw this last night and loved it even more the second time.

It's not a play. It's a movie. In the play, the Ballad works. Here, it doesn't. With that, some things need to be cut. We don't need a ballad telling us things we already saw, but the music of the song accentuates the scenes that need it. The blood flows like a beautiful river, and I can't imagine people not laughing at the sheer joy Burton takes into becoming a full-out gorehound., Towards the end of the film Depp's Todd becomes just as iconic a movie monster as Dracula or Michael Myers. There's a moment at the climax when I heard the entire theater last night gasp.

Depp's voice to me is fantastic. The supporting characters sing perfectly to suit the story. HBC's voice is weak, but she makes up for it with her acting. And I don't get the not-fun bit when Sacha Baron Cohen is a blast to watch, and as a horror fan I thought the gore was Hammer-perfect.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby junesquad on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:00 pm

It is hard to respect a creative work if you hold it accountable to a similar work in a different medium. The Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Rent... etc... all wonderful movies, but different from the Broadway show. You really have to approach it almost as two different stories and let it be what it is. I, for one, am still dying to see this movie.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:15 pm

This film did to the play Sweeney Todd what I Am Legend did to Matheson's masterpiece just a week or so before. Will Smith was talking about how they were going to take this "quiet personal story" and blow it all up.

We are aware that this is a film, really. For one thing, you can't meet the actors after the show backstage.

But when you make fundamental changes in the essence of a property, I get to complain about it. I think the ensemble chorus work is an integral part of the piece, and when you kick out that support and replace it with NOTHING, you've diminished the work.
Of course it could have been made to work. Not by Burton, but I could have made it work fer Crom's sake. Wouldn't have been hard at all, and the thing would have flowed properly, as it was written to, instead of feeling like scenes were bumping into one another, which they were. Their connective tissues were removed...they weren't naturally written to run as Burton ran them.
The reason I was pimping this so heavily was based on my love for the 1982 production, which I find a superior theatrical experience. I'll take George Hearn's Todd over Depps any day. There is a passion in the stage version that was not there in the film. And how many musicals omit the title song? WTF?
If my first and only exposure to Sweeney Todd were this film, I'd never have the passion for it that I've had for the stage version. That show was a superior show to the one Burton filmed.
I'd been telling people that they might really like this, based on the hope that Burton wouldn't lose too many of the elements that spun the thing into magic on the stage.
They did.
If people who never seen the play go out and love this, then may Crom piss on their neighbor's cat. Sondheim is a goddam genius. It's a pity more of his music didn't survive in this film.

And for the record, turning Sweeney Todd into, in the last few minutes of the film, a brainless splatter fest is not an improvement on the script. It really isn't.
But I guess that's what's expected these days.

Sweeney isn't supposed to be a cartoon character.
The Vicar

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:44 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I am frustrated to know more elaboration and even a review from the 86845 number on this one too though. 5/10 just begs more information.

I had a lot to say on the film Kirk, but I'm at my folks' home these days for the holidays, so not too much time to Zone unfortunately. But I can say a few more words...

My main gripe has nothing to do with the source material since the film was my first exposure to the Sweeney Todd story. Rather, it's that the film is a tired regurgitation of Tim Burton's entire film career, except devoid of life.

Tim Burton has made this film before, and furthermore he made it with Johnny Depp in the starring role (on more than one occasion). Sweeney Todd is the last nail in the coffin of Burton/Depp collaborations, which have been getting more and more tiresome with every new film they do together.

I don't like musicals, I have a problem with the format, so I become extremely critical when a musical is short of brilliant. Sweeney Todd is far from brilliant. The singing is dire, and even though that likely stems from the source material, the extremely uninteresting color palate (or lack thereof) just makes everything seem so murky and dull that, tied with the grim music, the experience as a whole is very tiresome.

On top of that the performances are mostly shoddy, with the exception of the two leads and Ali G. But still, overall the acting leaves a lot to be desired. It's very stagey and hasn't been sufficiently adapted to the film medium.

The actual story was interesting, and even though its surprises could be easily guessed in advance, there's still a poetic moment at the end that uplifts the entire film and keeps it from being a total disaster.

A crappy film with good production values and decent performance work would normally get a 3 or 4, but coupled with a fairly satisfying ending it earns a 5/10 from me.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:29 pm

I'm not married to the stage version; I barely remember it. I just have feelings and ideas associated with it that I thought would blossom as I watched this movie. They didn't.

I'm a huge Burton and Depp fan, especially together (though I didn't dig Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Corpse Bride all that much), so I was all kinds of excited going into this movie. By the end of it, I was just like, "Well, that's it then" and left. I didn't even stay through the credits as I normally do.

The movie seemed very structured and deliberate and not organic or wild in the least. This movie needed a little chaos, a little passion, to truly work. I think I read that this movie was rushed through production and they even cut out a musical number to keep on schedule. Perhaps if the filmmakers took their time with it, it could have been better. As it is, it seems a rather literal translation of the text, lacking the energy of the stage production.

Again, not bad, but I really failed to connect with this movie. And I was all ready to fall in love with it too, no expectations other than hoping for greatness.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:12 pm

I caught it this afternoon and I really liked it. I had no familiarity of the story or songs outside what was in "Jersey Girl" and I resisted the temptation to read up on it. Maybe my expectations had been lowered because of this thread, but it managed to fulfill them.

The costumes and make-up were fantastic--the set design was a little sparse, but I actually found it a relief not to be immersed in the black-and-white, twisty-shapes of Burton's world. I think it's a credit to him that he was willing to just paint a gin-soaked London street. I'm dying to know how they did Depp and Bonham-Carter's make-up. It strengthens my resolve to never tan again so I can always look like a Burton character.

I was expecting more of a cat and mouse game between the judge and Todd, more build-up, so that was slightly disappointing. But there's also alot of satisfaction in a quick and dirty revenge.

All the singing was fantastic. I'm surprised Bonham-Carter is getting such criticism here, as I thought she was really good. She's not a powerful voice, but it's soft and wheedling, it makes the ending more of a shocker.

It's definitely not one of Depp's showier roles in alot of ways, but I think the strength is his sinister restraint. He could have gone very over the top but he didn't. It's amazing, his face is everywhere nowadays and he still manages to disappear utterly under a wig and Goth make-up. His final scene is just heartbreaking.

The young actors were terrific--Tim Burton has a real knack for picking kid actors, it's a shame those who cast kid-centric pictures like "The Golden Compass" don't have his eye.

But, I can see *why* people were disappointed. For me, it's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" in reverse. I was incredibly psyched for that film and found it very weak, whereas everyone else loved it. It's grown on me, but it was not the take I had wanted to see from Burton. So I get where people are coming from. There's no in between with Burton, that's for sure.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:06 pm

This movie was awesome. I am glad that someone invented a character who wants to totally slash the throats of a bunch of Londoners. That's something I can identify with.

Anyway, best costumes, productions design, and score this year. "Bloody" good time.

See what I did there? That's a little hint about the movie because it's really fucking bloody.

heh.

Bloody.

Good.

Time.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Maui on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:11 pm

Even though there are mixed opinions here in the thread - I think I'll still go see it on the big screen and form my own opinion. I won't have the original version to hinder my viewing experience :)
Maui
WoWie

SWEENEY TODD (n/w BNAT!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:05 pm

saw this Sunday.. Liked it, but didn't Love it.

I'd say on par with Burton and Depps other works.. I'd put this behind Sleepy Hollow... (bout the third down, as Ed Wood is their best collaboration ever!)

The thing that kept me from loving it was how the musical numbers were played out.. There was no smooth transition and the pauses in the middle for the regular dialog just kept distracting me. Not to mention, that Johnny isnt that greatest singer out there either

I would still highly recommend it
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:33 am

hmph, I thought everyone did a great job with the singing. No, they weren't broadway players, but I bought their singing with their characters.

I especially loved the scene where Beedle Bedford kicked the shit out of Antony. That was HOT.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:40 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:This movie was awesome.

co.
bloody.
sign.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:54 am

:D
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:22 am

I was surprised how powerful Depp's voice was. From the trailer I expected him to sound rougher.

Maybe it's because I can't sing at all that everyone sounds Broadway worthy to my ear.

But frankly, that Broadway style often comes at the cost of no emotion. They want us to know they have fantastic voices, so they belt it out and lose the meaning of the song. Granted, when you're sitting 100 rows back, it's not such a big deal, but up close? Or listening to the album at home? Then there's a lot to be said for using actors over professional singers.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chilli on Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:29 am

Interestingly mixed reviews. Can't wait to catch this meself, looks rather intriguing.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:44 am

I really liked this film. The beautiful rich dark sets, the story, the singing.

Johnny Depp really did an excellent job as did the entire cast. I didn't know Borat could sing.

Mrs. Lovett's pies were nasty!
Maui
WoWie

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:50 am

Yes I liked the one with the roach. But maybe that's just my own personal fetish.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:51 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yes I liked the one with the roach. But maybe that's just my own personal fetish.

hahahah

Depp's voice - I had no freakin' clue the guy could sing so well! Hot damn!
Maui
WoWie

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:58 am

I was surprised as well. The previews really only showed the scene of him walking around asking who was ready for a shave and all, and I was underwhelmed by his singing there, but over all he did a fantastic job. He had such a menacing growl when he sang. My only problem with his performance has nothing to do with him really, but he seemed kind of ONE NOTE. He constantly had that scowl of vengeance on his face, and I would have liked to see a little more humanity in there. But, perhaps that was the point. He had no humanity left, hence his sudden condemnation of the homeless shrew.

What did you think of that last image? I am still haunted by it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:02 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I was surprised as well. The previews really only showed the scene of him walking around asking who was ready for a shave and all, and I was underwhelmed by his singing there, but over all he did a fantastic job. He had such a menacing growl when he sang. My only problem with his performance has nothing to do with him really, but he seemed kind of ONE NOTE. He constantly had that scowl of vengeance on his face, and I would have liked to see a little more humanity in there. But, perhaps that was the point. He had no humanity left, hence his sudden condemnation of the homeless shrew.

What did you think of that last image? I am still haunted by it.

Yeah he had a scowl through the entire movie but I just don't think even seeing a wee bit of a smile on his face had any place in the movie. Even when they had that silly scene with him on the beach with Mrs. Lovett and the boy - still scowled. No happiness there for Sweeney - just revenge!

The last scene - really disturbing. Tragic!! It needed to end that way. I think some of the folks in the theatre wanted to see Joanna and the boy run off into a field of daisies - not appropriate for such a sad, tragic end.
Maui
WoWie

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:11 am

I actually would have liked to see Joanna and Antony's storyline finish, but you're right, it would have robbed us of the ending. Perhaps they should have edited her rescue into a predecing scene, but that is just a nit.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:20 am

i, too, wondered about that plot thread. But the final image was a very dramatic one. Downright tragic.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:23 pm

RogueScribner wrote:i, too, wondered about that plot thread. But the final image was a very dramatic one. Downright tragic.

That was another story taking place in the movie - Joanna and her admirer. The singing at the window, his love for her, rescuing her from the 'blonde' room. The movie needed to end in it's tragic way - but just maybe that 'Joanna' story needed an ending. I had a group of teenage girls sitting in front of me. When the scene with Depp faded to black - they all went "AWEEEEEEEEEEEE". It was evident they were interested in the young romantic story and wanted to see atleast an embrace. I for one was satisfied with the grim ending. Formed my own opinion that they made it out ok and rain through a field of daisies in a cut scene.
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:41 pm

The sub plot with Joanna & Anthony was poorly, poorly done. Rendered almost unnecessary in the film version.

I urge you to check out the 1982 DVD version of the stage show & discover all the missing/neglected elements of the play.

Still waiting to see if Pacino gets it, likes it, doesn't b4n me for foisting it on him.
The Vicar

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:14 pm

The Vicar wrote:The sub plot with Joanna & Anthony was poorly, poorly done. Rendered almost unnecessary in the film version.

I urge you to check out the 1982 DVD version of the stage show & discover all the missing/neglected elements of the play.

Still waiting to see if Pacino gets it, likes it, doesn't b4n me for foisting it on him.

Ok, will do Vic. I read all your comparisons to the Lansbury one as well as Wiccan Woman's posts. I have nothing to compare Burton's version to - I'll see if I can get the DVD.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:24 pm

RogueScribner wrote:i, too, wondered about that plot thread. But the final image was a very dramatic one. Downright tragic.

The final image was the highpoint of the movie.

There were moments of brilliance in S.T. when I saw the movie I thought could have been. The "By The Sea" sequence was without a doubt my favorite...I think because it finally showed the sly, twisted humor that was missing from the rest of it. Grim is much more effective when you have something light to compare it to. That might have been one of my biggest disappointments. Tim Burton is usually so good at finding the humorously ironic within the horror. Didn't see too much of that a la casa de Sweeney though.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:27 pm

DaleTremont wrote:

The final image was the highpoint of the movie.

There were moments of brilliance in S.T. when I saw the movie I thought could have been. The "By The Sea" sequence was without a doubt my favorite...I think because it finally showed the sly, twisted humor that was missing from the rest of it. Grim is much more effective when you have something light to compare it to. That might have been one of my biggest disappointments. Tim Burton is usually so good at finding the humorously ironic within the horror. Didn't see too much of that a la casa de Sweeney though.

True, the only time the entire theatre chuckled were those "by the sea" scenes.
Maui
WoWie

Postby LeFlambeur on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:48 pm

I caught this a couple of times and thought it was okay. After the impersonal Planet of the Apes and the candy-coated Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I have to say that its nice to see Burton playing it down and dirty again. Sweeney Todd is his gothiest live action film since his adaptation of Sleepy Hollow. But unlike Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd doesn't feel as visually controlled. Which is unfortunate because it is a musical, and living in the (post?) music video era, I think one can expect a bit more technical precision in how music is utilized in film. Not to say that the musical numbers are bad (at least it never descends into the kitchen sink incoherence of Moulin Rouge).

If nothing else Sweeney Todd beats out Eastern Promises for best barber chair bloodletting of the year, but this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Cronenberg's similarly bleak, nearly as cartoonish, England based effort would have fit nicely with Burton's film on a double bill. Both films evoke vaguely similar reactions in their gruesome depictions of violence, and both films feel like the work of strong directors working in a more relaxed, lower key than the material calls for.

I've never seen the stage production of Sweeney Todd, though I've heard a few of the songs before and was aware of what it is about. The story feels like a half-baked mixture of Dickens, Dumas, and Poe. For me Sweeney Todd seemed here to sit somewhere between dark comedy and high tragedy without really fulfilling the obligations of either. Maybe its because we have seen so many good films lately about the futility and nihilism of vengeance, but the whole revenge angle never attains the operatic pull that you feel it should. Musicals these days are also plentiful, but decent movie musicals are rare, and Sweeney Todd is just that, and unfortunately little more.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:01 am

SPOILERS

I saw it tonight and really liked it. I will preface my remarks by saying that I haven't seen the stage play, and I don't typically care for comparisons between the two mediums anyway.

I really enjoyed the music. I do like that gothic pounding score interlaced with the lighter, more whimsical notes throughout. Less heavy-handed than Phantom but with the same brooding, menacing tone. The singing was better than I expected, particularly Depp. His voice helped carry a number of the musical pieces...which can be horrible if poorly executed. HBC was...ok. She certainly couldn't do it on stage, but in film it was serviceable.

Todd WAS GRIM, and I really liked that. Before hearing more about the performance I was a little worried he'd try to really chew the scenery here, but he didn't. He was understated and tortured and quietly raging but externally cold. I thought it was extremely effective. If he'd gone with Sweeney Todd meets Jack Sparrow it would have failed horribly for me. His playing the role in such an understated manner made his brief forays into true overt rage much more powerful, particularly the wonderful solo he performs when he decides that everyone in London deserves to die. It also made scenes like his bathing suit in the "By The Sea" sequence that much funnier.

And the film WAS funny. It simply wasn't as wacky as many of Burton's other films. There was a fair amount of black humor here, I thought. I think what is throwing a lot of people is that most of the humor didn't come from Depp. It came from Helena Bonham Carter. She was really quite funny, especially when playing off of Todd. I also found her scene/duet with Toby pretty touching and that much more ironic and tragic given her ultimate choice regarding the boy. I really liked her performance, singing notwithstanding.

The final scene IS going to stick with me for awhile. The close-up of her face, with his blood running between her lips was pretty startling and tragic. I'm really, really glad they ended the film there and didn't cut away to Anthony and Johanna running away together. I was expecting them to, but was pleasantly surprised that they allowed the film to end on that tragic note, where it really should.

I have nits, of course, but those above have already covered them extensively. In the end, though, I really enjoyed it.

And Giles was in it.

7.5/10
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Zarles on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:56 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:This movie was awesome.

Yes. Yes it was.

I giggled like a bloody little schoolgirl from beginning to end. The main reason I liked it so much is that it felt like nothing else I've seen in years. The world NEEDS more dark, gothic musicals like this one. There were times where I didn't feel like I was watching a movie at all, but more like I was behind the scenes at a circus freakshow. Those of you putting the original version(s) of Sweeney Todd up on their respective pedestals have every right to do so, I'm sure, but keep in mind that this isn't a remake. It was never meant to be that at all. I hate the word "re-imagining" too, but it's really the only one I can think of to describe this movie.

I have no idea where all this hate is coming from. 5/10? Please. I'd give it a 9 with no regret whatsoever. This is Burton's best film since the days of Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:46 pm

The 5/10 came from the fact that the first hour was a plodding, dull mess. The film's premise, which can be stated in two short sentences, took one whole hour to lay out which consisted of songs about meat pies and razor blades. Very cute, but the way it was filmed was dull dull dull. ZZzzzZZzzz...

The latter parts were a step up, but by then I had already lost interest. Still, a 5/10 means it could've been worse, eh.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:17 pm

I saw this movie last night and I can only say that it was mildly entertaining. The story itself was fine. I liked all the plot elements and the acting was fine, but the pacing was all off. I don't know who has the final decision on where each scene is going to be cut, Tim Burton or his editor, but whoever it is should be shot. Oh wait, I mean have his throat slit by a dull razor.

There were some scenes that could have been brilliant if only they weren't cut so quickly. Not to give anything away, but scenes that should have been important pivotal moments in the film were shot with the same briskness as that whole throat slicing montage. The only relationship that seemed real to me was between the meat pie lady and the gin soaked boy. Everything else was paint by numbers. The judge was an asshole, but I'd believe he was more interested in banging that sailor boy over Sweeney's wife or daughter. You have to do more than look through a peep hole to qualify as an obsessive pervert in my books, buddy.

I do have to give Burton credit on one thing. the man can shoot cleavage. If he spent as much time on developing the emotional connections between his characters as he did setting up those magnificent cleavage shots, then I probably would have loved this movie.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Zarles on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:32 pm

I thought the pacing was fine. The parts that weren't that interesting were moved along by the quicker pacing, yet still kept as a pertinent piece of the story.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:49 pm

well all the pertinent pieces of the story were there, for sure. It just seemed like they were put there in order to cross out a check list more than considered for the relevance of the story in whole. The scenes that are supposed to establish the love between Sweeney and his wife didn't leave much of an impression with me. If it wasn't for the song being sung about how in love those two were, I wouldn't really get that impression form what I saw. All the evidence that the Judge was in love with Sweeney's wife was just a quick scowl from the shadows in the arrest scene and Rickman pulling out a bouquet of flowers for 10 seconds in some other flashback sequence. A few more seconds on building tension with Rickman and the flowers would have made a world of difference for me.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby junesquad on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:24 pm

I purposely waited for the release of the new Sweeney Todd to watch George Hearn and Angela Lansbury's version. Lansbury will always have a soft spot in my heart. I loved her in everything I saw her in and will always have that Grandmother feel towards her.

I loved the movie, but hated that they had to show the burn scene at the end. My wife's little brother died in the film, so that kinda killed it for her. It was amazing to see that Depp played the role similarly to the way that Hearn did, but Depp made the role his bitch. Depp came back with a total slam dunk.

However, Lansbury and Helena Carter took very different approaches to the role of Ms. Lovett. I enjoyed Carter's approach to the role and bought it more seriously as if the role were an actual portrayal, but Lansbury's approach was much more humorous.

Rickman... sad disappointment... I really didn't feel like his role, but I don't think it was his fault. I feel that he did the best he could with the role and script the way it was.

I missed the opening ballad, but I understood why they left it out. I'd give it 8/10 stars.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Will Scarlet on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Loved this movie. Like many others I came into this with no previous experience with the story of Sweeny Todd. I was surprised to find out how many of the songs I had actually heard at some point in my life without knowing they had any connection with this story.

This is all the dark black and white and weirdness that I like from Tim Burton. I was very pleased with the singing and very surprised at how well Depp sounded. Deliciously creepy. WE NEED MORE MUSICALS! And creepy ones are even better!

I'm beginning to think I like actors who sing far better than I like singers who try and act. The up close and personal aspect of film lets me enjoy the nuances of emotion in facial expression --- and I think this makes film versions of musicals more real, as silly as that may sound -- It certainly beats being blown out the back of a theater by a singer determined to reach the back row and forgetting the emotion he or she must get across in the song.

W.S.
Will Scarlet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby junesquad on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:39 pm

Will Scarlet wrote:I'm beginning to think I like actors who sing far better than I like singers who try and act. The up close and personal aspect of film lets me enjoy the nuances of emotion in facial expression --- and I think this makes film versions of musicals more real, as silly as that may sound -- It certainly beats being blown out the back of a theater by a singer determined to reach the back row and forgetting the emotion he or she must get across in the song.

W.S.

I agree wholeheartedly. The performances put forth by the actors may not have been TOP QUALITY in terms of musical abilities, but they sure as hell sold the movie. The actors made it realistic and the music was a bonus to the story. I loved it.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:32 pm

It was ok.

Though I found myself enamored of the love story of Anthony and Johanna. Well, maybe because I was enamored of him. (He looks a bit like JRM.)

But it wasn't Burton's best. I want to see the production where the play is performed by inmates at a mental institution (And Pirelli is played by a WOMAN.) and that will be coming to Chicago this spring. I hope I get to see it...

Though tonight, I'm going to try to watch the one with Ben "My career is circling around the U-Bend" Kingsley....
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Bayouwolf on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:09 pm

Finally got around to seeing this, and I gotta go with the overall consensus,

Depp is a dull shell of the Todd. By the time his ultimate demise comes, you really don't care anymore... Bad from Johnny, bad form...

HBC gives a fairly good performance, bringing a darker side of Lovett that Landsbury didn't. It ain't better, just different.

Alan Rickman is Alan Rickman that sings. yawn.

Musically, it falls flat. Both in the omission of the chorus, and the actors themselves. It would've been nice to have at least one refrain, but alas...no.
This is a film that should have been greater than the sum of it's parts, and ultimately ends up falling as flat as Sacha Cohens singing voice.
5/10 at best.
Worth a DVD rental, but not a staple for the collection.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:39 am

Bayouwolf wrote:5/10 at best.

Anna the Hollywood Foreign Press, she would a disagree with a you, eh?

Golden Globe Winner for a the Best Musical or a the Comedy, hehehehehe...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:49 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Bayouwolf wrote:
5/10 at best.

Anna the Hollywood Foreign Press, she would a disagree with a you, eh?

Golden Globe Winner for a the Best Musical or a the Comedy, hehehehehe...

And what, pray tell was it up against???

Across The Universe
Charlie Wilson's War
Hairspray
Juno

Even I would've picked it to win.

JUNO frefuxsake...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion