Most shocking movie moments

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:00 am

It is a great little moment tho, isn't it? Ha, just me and my sense of kitsch.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:34 am

Most shocing movie moment was whenit ended, and every Star Wars geek that exited the cinema killed themselves, or vowed to do the impossible and get a girlfriend to bring meaning to their lives again.

BTW, has anoyone doen a Best Movie Death thread. I seem to remember somethign along these lines, but can't find it when I do a search.

I wanna start one.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:40 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
John-Locke wrote:The Fire Extinguisher in Irreversible.
Stop hammering him in the face with the bottom of the extinguisher, no stop. Seriously stop, he's already dead, stop.

It was yet another gratuitous moment in a truly gratuitous film, but the brutality of it messed with me for some reason.

Yeah, dude, that totally messed me up. And the infamous rape scene didn't give me as much pleasure as I thought it would. Wow, that was brutal stuff.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:41 am

Go for it.

I don't remember seeing one previously, it's a good topic.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:34 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:or vowed to do the impossible and get a girlfriend to bring meaning to their lives again.

IPAMPILASH! A subtle anna hilarious jab from a the Kirk... nice one, eh paisan?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby darthevilbob on Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:30 pm

I think the phantom menace was just one horrible big shock (hope im dreaming) kind of experience.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:25 pm

Ok, you made me do this. But, on my first viewing of ROTS I just wanted to leave the theatre and for the film to end and the whole last chapter part of my life to be over. I'd just watched the Interpreter before it (it was a double bill)*.

The film came on at twelve midnight, Ok, groovy. Yeah thats nice, woooo, oh no, Hayden's acting is better than Mcgregors , why are the robots talking in a different "stupid" voice. Whats with all this pantomime acting of Palpatine, hoking around the stage following Ani and Obi. Is that a last minute post-production tacked on little walkey talkey thing R2 has there. WTF is that dream sequence!

I found the experience awful and embarrasing. I guess I knew how the TPM haters felt. By the time Nooooooooo occured I really no longer cared, I just thought please end I want this to be over. Not something I ever thought I'd feel.

That was a shock to me, then watching the film with my parents on the small screen I actually found myself enjoying it. I think it was alot to do with the films pace, seeing it for the first time was maybe too much to take in, it just dived straight into most scenes. I need another viewing really, but I really think that the film will only be able to give me a visual fix, nothing more.

*on an interesting note, it was strange to see a v.similar scene in The Interpreter and ROTS, where a confrontation is made with a senior political figure by two people in a private room. In Sith, Hayden and Mcgregor, in The Interpreter it is Kidman and Penn, and the choice is raised as to whether to kill or put the corrupt figure on trial. Pollack goes for trial, Lucas goes for death. Spooky. Has anyone else noticed this little parallell, very suitable for the zone too...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:35 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Is that a last minute post-production tacked on little walkey talkey thing R2 has there.

its a supercool cell phone. it was necessary for him to have one, or else how was he going to talk to obi wan and anakin. duh.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:43 pm

LOL. C3P0 usually takes care of that sheeit for him, so I guess its a reasonable asumption to presume he has one. But, I think that whole little comedy skit was a rehashed editing idea. I dread to imagine the creative license Lucas uses in post I really do, sure he can give nice little extra touches but sometimes it looks clear where he has gone a bit over the top and taken a liberty. It's sad as it can take the soul out of a performance, but then again there wasn't much soul on display.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:52 pm

i know. it kills me. fuck lucas. when he dies, imma exhume his corpse, and fuck him in whats left of his neck sack.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 pm

Brocktune wrote:i know. it kills me. fuck lucas. when he dies, imma exhume his corpse, and fuck him in whats left of his neck sack.

Fucking corpses is Adam's job. Badumpbump!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:33 pm

its funny because its true
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:21 am

Ribbons wrote:
Brocktune wrote:i know. it kills me. fuck lucas. when he dies, imma exhume his corpse, and fuck him in whats left of his neck sack.

Fucking corpses is Adam's job. Badumpbump!

Then Alonzo can turn them into art.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:29 am

Which in turn leads me to dig up Hans Buttgereits, Nekromantic, described as corpse fucking art, it features scenes of sex with dead bodies and the film climaxes with a man coming blood.

Another great of his is das todesking, a film which dwells on sucide spots with fictional accounts of potential suicidee's. Not one to cheer up your afternoon, but a fascinating film none the less. Check them out if you haven't seen em, be shocked!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Brocktune on Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:21 am

nekromantic is fuckin gross. the day i actually enjoy watching 2 people stick a broomstick in a rotten corpses pelvis, and fuck it all night is the day the armies of darkness march the face of the earth.

now if im actually participating, its a different story.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:34 am

That image will stay with me for a while, providing countless sniggers, cheers.

magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:27 am

City of God had a few shocking moments, mainly involving that evil little gangster Zé Pequeno... but one image I can surely remember is when they shot that little 10 year-old boy in the foot, and you see him huddling in the corner of a battered wall, clutching his foot, quietly sobbing. Perhaps not shocking, but certainly very heartening. Sorry, I have to go cry now.
Last edited by Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:43 am

Good one Pacino, I really thought Ze would not shoot and then BLAM.........It was most definitely very shocking......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:52 am

speaking of evil little gangsters...

The whole "Do I amuse you?!" scene with Pesci in Goodfellas. Starts out funny, then you start to realize just how fucked up Tommy is. Also in Goodfellas, when ******SPOILER********* Tommy gets whacked.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:10 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:speaking of evil little gangsters...

The whole "Do I amuse you?!" scene with Pesci in Goodfellas. Starts out funny, then you start to realize just how fucked up Tommy is. Also in Goodfellas, when ******SPOILER********* Tommy gets whacked.

How about Tommy shooting Spider?
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:14 am

Brocktune wrote:nekromantic is fuckin gross. the day i actually enjoy watching 2 people stick a broomstick in a rotten corpses pelvis, and fuck it all night is the day the armies of darkness march the face of the earth.

now if im actually participating, its a different story.

Hey, Brock! Maybe you could enjoy watching it for just a little bit? I'd give anything to see the armies of darkness marching the face of the earth...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:18 am

thomasgaffney wrote:I'd give anything to see the armies of darkness marching the face of the earth...

That wouldn't be too hard to do, just shutdown the internet across the globe.

Ok, I'm reaching a little far with that one... recall that episode of Simpsons when Itchy and Scratchy was banned and all the kids went outside to play...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Re: Most shocking movie moments

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:47 am

Man-in-the-Box wrote:
Premiere magazine�s new �25 Most Shocking Moments in Movie History� list. The top 10 are:
6. �Reservoir Dogs� (Michael Madsen�s Mr. Blonde slices off a police officer�s ear as he dances to
Steeler�s Wheel�s �Stuck in the Middle with You�)

Discuss.

That's probably the most iconic scene in Reservoir Dogs, but to be honest, I think the most shocking moment in the film is when Tim Roth's character shoots Mr. Blonde to keep him from setting the cop on fire.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chilli on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:36 am

I'd say the most shocking bit is seeing Mr. White kill two people he's very close to in order to save the life of Mr. Orange, while we know that the two men he's shot WERE in the right on that occassion. Very clever manipulation of audience loyalty, as Mr. Orange is so far undercover he condemns two men to death to save his own ass, when he knows that he's dying anyway.

Not saying anyone in that end scene is a saint, but in terms of the betrayal its shocking that an upstanding chap like Orange doesn't say something.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:19 pm

The part in Deep Blue Sea when Sam Jackson became a shark snack.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:25 pm

I was pretty shocked when DiCaprio got capped in THE DEPARTED. I didn't see it coming. And by some "new character". Loved the ending though.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I was pretty shocked when DiCaprio got capped in THE DEPARTED. I didn't see it coming. And by some "new character". Loved the ending though.

Good call on that one; and not just because he's arguably the main character of the film, but the way the moment is presented. The tension just builds during the stand-off on the rooftop between DiCaprio and the Anthony Anderson character, until you're so convinced that Anderson is going to do something stupid that when he lets the two into the elevator, it's like a huge relief, and all the tension just disperses. Then the doors slide open and he gets a bullet right in the brainpan. Credit to Scorsese and his editor Thelma Schoonmaker on that scene.

The last ten minutes or so of The Departed always remind me of Hamlet, in that everbody suddenly bumps one another off.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I was pretty shocked when DiCaprio got capped in THE DEPARTED. I didn't see it coming. And by some "new character". Loved the ending though.

I saw that coming a mile away, possibly because I had already seen Infernal Affairs :-P
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Al_Shut wrote:

I saw that coming a mile away, possibly because I had already seen Infernal Affairs :-P

That... that might do it... :oops:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:27 pm

It was SHOCKING, I tells ya!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:30 pm

buster00 wrote:Image

Dude looks a little like Brittany Murphy.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby buster00 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:50 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:

"And when they finally pulled Brittany's body...from the twisted...burning...wreck...it looked like...THIS!"

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:11 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Thats no man baby. Thats Large Marge.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Thats no man baby. Thats Large Marge.

By Jove, I think he's right! I think I must have blocked that hitchhiking scene out of my head as it freaked me out so much as a kid.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby WalterBunny on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:22 pm

One of the few scenes that has ever shocked me was the ending of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. When Henry pulls over to the side of the road to dump off that large suitcase, and you know what's in it...

That movie did all sorts of things to fuck me up.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:17 am

The following post is brought to you by SPOIL.

- End of Angel Heart, when Rourke's character has the series of breakthroughs. Realizing you fucked your daughter, and then shot her in the cooch. Shock Level: 8/10

- The Thing, when Macready is testing the blood. Being tied to a bench with fucking Tetsuo over there? That's a 9/10, and a wee bit of poo loosed in your pants.

- Last Tango in Paris. The butter. Brando ass fucking Maria Schneider...Shock Level: 6 /10

- Last Tango in Paris, discovering that until shooting, Maria Schneider's character was a 17-year-old boy. And that is the movie Brando signed on for. Shock Level: TILT

- Rosemary's Baby; the entire reveal sequence. 8/10, good job creepy old people!
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Most shocking movie moments

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:13 am

Oldboy! The reveal that he fucked his daughter! Thats fucked!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 am

unikrunk wrote:- Last Tango in Paris, discovering that until shooting, Maria Schneider's character was a 17-year-old boy. And that is the movie Brando signed on for. Shock Level: TILT

Are you serious? Where did you get this info?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:29 am

minstrel wrote:
unikrunk wrote:- Last Tango in Paris, discovering that until shooting, Maria Schneider's character was a 17-year-old boy. And that is the movie Brando signed on for. Shock Level: TILT

Are you serious? Where did you get this info?

From the [very lovely] horse's mouth:

Maria Schneider, RE: dairy products, wrote:When they told me, I had a burst of anger. Woo! I threw everything. And nobody can force someone to do something not in the script. But I didn't know that. I was too young.

So I did the scene and I cried. I cried real tears during that scene. I was feeling humiliation. Then six or seven years ago I heard that the character I played was supposed to be a boy. That maybe explained it.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Chilli on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:41 am

Aye, read that meself a few days ago.

Never got around to that film, and that reveal... lets just say if its on, I'll watch it, but I won't push myself to watch it.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:58 am

It's not a "reveal" so much as a buttery back-door violation :lol:

Personally Chilli, I wouldn't bother with LTIP, I found it crushingly inconsequential.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:29 am

So not just inconsequential then?
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:37 am

No: crushingly so.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion