Juno

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:45 am

Nordling wrote:yeah, this is going to wind up in my top ten of 2007.

Me too Nordling, me too!

Loved this film. Page is outstanding. Oscar time!!! Loved the music, very refreshing stuff to listen to.

It was funny - it seemed like me and a bunch of grandmothers. At one point in the movie I overhead an elderly lady behind me say - "I have no idea about my granddaughter's sexual activity". I just smiled.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:13 am

Damn you Diablo Cody! Stop making me fall in love with you more and more every day. It's just not fair.

Saw this last night, and while I do think it's a good movie, I couldn't help but want Juno to just SHUT UP for a minute. Yes, we get that you're smart and precocious and ever-so-cool, but you know what else? It gets really annoying to have those facts jammed down our throats every 2 seconds. The writing in this movie is really top-notch and rather intelligent, but I do think the dialogue could've been toned down a bit. Sure, maybe that's what teenagers are like, and maybe that's how the character was written, but as ever-present dialogue for a main character that you kinda have to pay attention to in a movie like this one, it got really old and a little annoying kinda quick.

Everyone's talking award nominations for Ellen Page, and while she was exceptional, I think Michael Cera blew her the fuck away by bringing the exact opposite of what she was doing - a quiet, sustained, subtle performance that was ten times as powerful. If he doesn't screw up somewhere and end up becoming a Beck impersonator, I can't wait to see what this guy does in the future. He's awesome. Excellent supporting cast, too - Bateman, Garner, Simmons, all of 'em.

Overall, I think I give it about a 7 or an 8. It got a little too cutesy-wootsy-schmoopsy-boopsy for me at times, especially with the soundtrack. Wes Anderson uses the same kind of music in his same kind of movies, but he still has the ability and good sense to throw in a Stooges song here and there to liven things up. I mean, come on - Juno goes on and on about old-school punk, but we never get to hear any of it on the soundtrack? I liked a lot of the music and I LOVED the animation in the opening credits, but I just think a bit more contrast and color could've been brought in here and there to spice things up a bit. Maybe we'll get some of that in the Megan Fox cannibal movie.

Damn you, Diablo Cody. Damn you.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:04 pm

Also, Juno's chemistry teacher was played by Cut Chemist. Heh.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:30 pm

Juno's dialogue is a defense mechanism. She's actually a fairly fragile girl, as realized at the abortion clinic, and with Jason Bateman's character as well as at the hospital and with Bleeker. I loved how her tough talk stance melted towards the end.

Juno took the pregnancy as an opportunity to create the perfect home, something she felt she could orchestrate. The fact is, that really doesn't exist, and in the end, you have to stick with the person who you feel understands you the most, even if it leaves you vulnerable. I loved Jennifer Garner in this - the scene where she plays with the little girl in the mall won me over hard. I found a lot in common - too much, really - with Jason Bateman's character. And Ellen Page is destined for an Oscar nomination.

I'm giving it some time, but I think I preferred JUNO over KNOCKED UP, which is saying something.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Zarles on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:52 pm

I understand that it was a part of her character, but all I mean is that after a while, the rapid-fire nature of it all really started to get on my nerves. It almost got to Kevin Smith Land where all a character seems to want to do is cram as many jokes into the shortest amount of time possible. I get how it fit into the context of the situation, but as an audience member, it became really grating and tiresome to have to listen to.

Knocked Up was more well-rounded as a film, but I'll give the charm vote to Juno for sure. Burl's still correct in his 'it tried too hard' verdict, but it gets a lot of points for that in the process.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:17 pm

Zarles wrote:
Everyone's talking award nominations for Ellen Page, and while she was exceptional, I think Michael Cera blew her the fuck away by bringing the exact opposite of what she was doing - a quiet, sustained, subtle performance that was ten times as powerful. If he doesn't screw up somewhere and end up becoming a Beck impersonator, I can't wait to see what this guy does in the future. He's awesome. Excellent supporting cast, too - Bateman, Garner, Simmons, all of 'em.

Cera and Garner were standouts for me as supporting cast. I really was surprised at Garner's performance. She was really quite good.

I see what you are saying Zarles about Juno's character always being sarcastic, talkative, etc. I noticed that as well. As Nordling points out that is her way of dealing - always throwing a funny slant to anything.

There were a couple of scenes that really took my breath away - even brought a tear to my eye. The scene with her father when he clearly shows his disappointment with her when she tells him of her pregnancy. At that moment there was silence - Juno said nothing - but her face said everything. That to me was brilliant acting.

Another scene where she leaves the adopted couples house in tears and pulls to the side of the road and just breaks down. That was a heartbreaking scene and really shows the range of this girl's talents.

Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:22 pm

I didn't quite get Jason Bateman's last few scenes. Did he decide to leave his wife because Juno made him realize that he really didn't want to become a father after all? The dance scene in his house with Juno was really awkward.

I can't decide if the movie was trying to villainize Bateman's character for doing what he did, either. Sure, he married his wife and therefore made a commitment to her, but things change. Not everything always works out the way you think they will. Sure, he might've had a few immature reasons for doing what he did, but it was clear he was unhappy.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:24 pm

Zarles wrote:I didn't quite get Jason Bateman's last few scenes. Did he decide to leave his wife because Juno made him realize that he really didn't want to become a father after all? The dance scene in his house with Juno was really awkward.

I can't decide if the movie was trying to villainize Bateman's character for doing what he did, either. Sure, he married his wife and therefore made a commitment to her, but things change. Not everything always works out the way you think they will. Sure, he might've had a few immature reasons for doing what he did, but it was clear he was unhappy.

He seemed disinterested from the get go! He was. Their first meeting with the lawyer. He wasn't even there in the living room. He came down later down the stairs. To me, that said it all. His heart wasn't there.

As for his connection with Juno - he found someone who was clearly interested in his music, playing the guitar, horror videos, comics. None of which his wife showed interest. He formed an attachment to Juno because of this. Bateman and Garner were two different people with different paths.

The dance scene - a simple flirtation. Odd, awkward, all of the above. Bateman is not interested in his wife, he befriends an attractive teenager that shows interest in everything he does. I can see it - don't necessarily like it - but I can see it. It's not a sick perverted thing like Spacey in American Beauty though.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:30 pm

Yeah, Mark was an extremely lonely man. That dance was him reaching out to a kindred soul. Not appropriate, but understandable.

I don't think the film sets him up as a "villain." How Mark acts is something that people do every day. Juno has this fantasy set up in her head, and again, that's just not how life works. Sometimes things don't fit.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Nordling wrote:Yeah, Mark was an extremely lonely man. That dance was him reaching out to a kindred soul. Not appropriate, but understandable.

I don't think the film sets him up as a "villain." How Mark acts is something that people do every day. Juno has this fantasy set up in her head, and again, that's just not how life works. Sometimes things don't fit.

I agree. Her visits to Mark's house, unscheduled. Asking if Vanessa was around. Even her stepmom's conversation with her about the situation not being appropriate.

Again though - this is Juno reaching out to someone. Allowing her to forget about her troubles. Sure you can be somewhat 'slightly' attracted to someone that allows you to forget about your troubles and shows interest in similar things that you do. This 'friendship' really didn't bother me - it was all very justified. It made sense.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:16 pm

Didn't you all just love the ending????

Juno rides her bike to Bleeker's house - they play guitar and sing the song together, that is sung through the entire movie by Kimya Dawson.

The camera slowly moves away from them - then the track team runs by.

Perfect!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:25 pm

Good points. I just wasn't sure at the time if the movie was trying to cast Mark in the 'bad male figure who leaves' role, but I guess not.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Zarles wrote:Good points. I just wasn't sure at the time if the movie was trying to cast Mark in the 'bad male figure who leaves' role, but I guess not.

Nah, I didn't think so. I liked his character. He clearly wasn't meant to be married and having a kid. Obvious. As for his wife - that was all she cared about - having a child. Mark was nice, funny, intelligent, creative. I didn't see that in Vanessa's character. She was the glamorous, rich girl who was only meant to be a Mom - and that's ok. However, having two complete opposites wed - there really can be no positive outcome there. Different goals, different dreams. I didn't see him as the bad guy - just a lonely soul stuck in a situation he didn't want to be in.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:32 pm

I think the one thing that I take away from this film - and I hope that teenage girls take from it as well - is that no matter how bad things get, you can rely on the people you love. I loved the scene where Juno tells her parents she's pregnant. Sure, they're upset... sure, they're disappointed. But they would never think, not ever, that they wouldn't back Juno or support her. They react initially as most parents would, but in the end, they decide to support their daughter. That's an incredibly healthy family they have there, and I hope it would bring some comfort to a girl in trouble that her parents might not be the unsympathetic beasts that they seem to be.

Granted, I'm not a woman and I'll never know that kind of pressure, but I am a parent, and if my daughter came to me with the same problem I hope I take it as well as J. K. Simmons did.

Plus, I love Juno's dad... "I'm gonna punch that Bleeker kid right in the weiner."
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:38 pm

Nordling wrote:I think the one thing that I take away from this film - and I hope that teenage girls take from it as well - is that no matter how bad things get, you can rely on the people you love. I loved the scene where Juno tells her parents she's pregnant. Sure, they're upset... sure, they're disappointed. But they would never think, not ever, that they wouldn't back Juno or support her. They react initially as most parents would, but in the end, they decide to support their daughter. That's an incredibly healthy family they have there, and I hope it would bring some comfort to a girl in trouble that her parents might not be the unsympathetic beasts that they seem to be.

Granted, I'm not a woman and I'll never know that kind of pressure, but I am a parent, and if my daughter came to me with the same problem I hope I take it as well as J. K. Simmons did.

Plus, I love Juno's dad... "I'm gonna punch that Bleeker kid right in the weiner."

Yeah, that was funny. The Dad was great. The stepmom was too. The way she stood up for Juno at the ultrasound appointment. I had a hard time believing that the ultrasound tech would be so mean spirited though - however, it's always possible.

I think this movie does raise some good points as you have mentioned Nordling. Something all parents should see. I was sitting in a theatre mostly full of grandparents. Surprising yes - but I felt as though they were there to perhaps get a handle on what it's like to be a teenager nowadays and how perhaps they could better relate to their teenage grandchildren. Different times indeed for teens growing up nowadays.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Zarles wrote:I LOVED the animation in the opening credits.

Super cool with her carrying the Sunny D jug!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:17 pm

Nordling wrote:I'm giving it some time, but I think I preferred JUNO over KNOCKED UP, which is saying something.

Oh big time - no comparison for me. Juno is a far superior film.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:23 pm

Maui wrote:I had a hard time believing that the ultrasound tech would be so mean spirited though - however, it's always possible.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer here, but I think that was one of the instances of the movie trying too hard. I think that scene wanted to be the one in Knocked Up where Seth Rogan bitches out the doctor for splitting to a bar mitzvah in San Francisco. There wasn't really a need for it. I think it was mainly done to flesh out Juno's stepmom's character and give them more of a bond with one another in a dark-humored, sarcastic way.

I dunno. I guess it worked, but it felt like a bit much. The scenes with Juno and her dad worked perfectly, though. JK was great all around.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:39 pm

Zarles wrote:
Maui wrote:I had a hard time believing that the ultrasound tech would be so mean spirited though - however, it's always possible.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer here, but I think that was one of the instances of the movie trying too hard. I think that scene wanted to be the one in Knocked Up where Seth Rogan bitches out the doctor for splitting to a bar mitzvah in San Francisco. There wasn't really a need for it. I think it was mainly done to flesh out Juno's stepmom's character and give them more of a bond with one another in a dark-humored, sarcastic way.

I dunno. I guess it worked, but it felt like a bit much. The scenes with Juno and her dad worked perfectly, though. JK was great all around.

Too much, I agree.
Maui
WoWie

Postby LeFlambeur on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:42 pm

Not to get to off track here, but watching Juno I observed that its fairly safe to say that Wes Anderson's influence has finally eclipsed Tarrantino's in what is often referred to as "indie" film. Its a mistaken identification (any film with as much product placement as Juno should be disqulified from the term automatically) often used to distinguish "quirky" takes on mainstream material. Anyway, I really liked Jason Reitman's previous film, the hillarious, sophistry laden Thank You for Smoking. Given that film's visual adroitness, and heavy doses of irony, I never would have guessed that this was from the same filmmaker. The only real consistancy that I could see, was a few traces of Wes Anderson influence, which as I said earlier, has become pervasive in this "type" of film. Actually come to think of it, Juno (the charachter) is a bit remenicent of Ghost World's Enid, albeit a more naieve, less misanthropic one. Unlike Enid, the artist outsider who spends her days wandering through America's cultural wasteland, Juno pop cultural savvy is supposed to be more charachteristic of the contemporary average teenager. I don't know how truthfully this is potrayed, the dialogue sounds more written than naturalistic. The acting is appropriatly restrained, everyone seems to trust the material to be funny on its own without having to phone in the punchlines. So yeah, not bad.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:44 pm

Nordling wrote:Plus, I love Juno's dad... "I'm gonna punch that Bleeker kid right in the weiner."

Juno was my family's Christmas day movie and my dad laughed hardest at this line. We both have a deep love for JK (Oz may still be my favorite HBO show).

And my mom's been recommending Juno to every person she talks to. If Juno's box office spikes in Iowa, its all her.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Nordling on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:55 pm

Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to surprise this weekend at the box office. I think it'll open in the top 5. It was sold out when I went, and the word-of-mouth buzz coming out of it was palpable.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Maui wrote:There were a couple of scenes that really took my breath away - even brought a tear to my eye. The scene with her father when he clearly shows his disappointment with her when she tells him of her pregnancy. At that moment there was silence - Juno said nothing - but her face said everything. That to me was brilliant acting.

Yeah, that was a really moving scene for me as well, mostly due to Ellen Page. I loved the part at the beginning where she's like "I'm not looking for anything, except for maybe mercy. Like it'd be sweet if nobody hit me."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Zarles wrote:Damn you Diablo Cody! Stop making me fall in love with you more and more every day. It's just not fair.

Saw this last night, and while I do think it's a good movie, I couldn't help but want Juno to just SHUT UP for a minute. Yes, we get that you're smart and precocious and ever-so-cool, but you know what else? It gets really annoying to have those facts jammed down our throats every 2 seconds. The writing in this movie is really top-notch and rather intelligent, but I do think the dialogue could've been toned down a bit. Sure, maybe that's what teenagers are like, and maybe that's how the character was written, but as ever-present dialogue for a main character that you kinda have to pay attention to in a movie like this one, it got really old and a little annoying kinda quick.

Overall, I think I give it about a 7 or an 8. It got a little too cutesy-wootsy-schmoopsy-boopsy for me at times, especially with the soundtrack. Wes Anderson uses the same kind of music in his same kind of movies, but he still has the ability and good sense to throw in a Stooges song here and there to liven things up. I mean, come on - Juno goes on and on about old-school punk, but we never get to hear any of it on the soundtrack? I liked a lot of the music and I LOVED the animation in the opening credits, but I just think a bit more contrast and color could've been brought in here and there to spice things up a bit. Maybe we'll get some of that in the Megan Fox cannibal movie.

Damn you, Diablo Cody. Damn you.

I would agree with a couple of points here, mainly that the dialogue could have been toned down at times (especially Alison Janney's protracted dressing-down of the sonar technician, for... what? Making a true observation?). I don't think it's a huge offense because I think that screenwriters in general don't really try to give characters their own "voices" as much as they should; it's just that with writers like Tarantino or Whedon or Sorkin, or Diablo Cody, who have very idiosyncratic voices themselves, it stands out more. I also think that the actors here do a lot to ameliorate any problems that I might have otherwise had with the script, especially Michael Cera, who it seems to me actually went against the grain of his dialogue a lot of times and in the process crafted a very self-conscious and sweet performance.

Nordling wrote:Yeah, Mark was an extremely lonely man. That dance was him reaching out to a kindred soul. Not appropriate, but understandable.

While I sort of agree with this, especially your analysis of the film, I would say that there was an intentional "role reversal"-type story structure in that Vanessa wasn't seen as especially sympathetic at the beginning of the film, and by the end Juno had (arguably) come to like her more than Mark.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:41 am

Yeah! Juno is finally playing at my local theater. I will probably see it tomorrow!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Zarles on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:47 am

Ribbons wrote:I also think that the actors here do a lot to ameliorate any problems that I might have otherwise had with the script, especially Michael Cera, who it seems to me actually went against the grain of his dialogue a lot of times and in the process crafted a very self-conscious and sweet performance.

I'll say it again - Michael Cera was easily the best part of this movie. All the flashiness of the rapid-fire dialogue of all the other characters just kinda cancels itself out after a while, and the only one who's really left standing is Michael. Once again, I did like this movie, but my main issue with it is its overuse of quirkiness. I found it to be most similar to a Wes Anderson film, but with a Wes movie, the characters' quirks are a layer or two beneath the surface. In Juno, they're right up in your face at all times, and for me, it got tiresome to have to deal with them all at once.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:53 pm

Oh my blog!

I fucking loved this movie. I loved it all the more because I honestly wasn't expecting to. Seemed like the indie-darling du jour, relying more on quirky set design and glib zingers than actual character and story development. That's the way it started out (intentionally, I'm sure.) Sitting through the first ten minutes I had the distinct feeling of, "Oh here we go again. Sarcasto-teen speed talks her way through pregnancy and I'm supposed to roll over and drool." But then as Nordling pointed out, Juno breaks down, loses her cool, and we see how real she is, how vulnerable. Diablo Cody tricked us! Made is think she had nothing to say when really she had everything to say...on love, growing up, being a girl/woman.

I thought the Mark/Vanessa storyline was great. And as for the discussion about Mark above, what I took from it is that he isn't a villain, but Cody does somewhat condemn his character in the end for selfishness and a delayed adolescence. After that situation blows up at their house and Juno goes to find Paulie, she says to him, "You're the coolest person and you don't even have to try." The implication there being that he's the opposite of Mark, who does try, very hard. He's someone who doesn't know who he is or what he wants, whereas the characters in Juno that walk away happiest are the ones who can make tough decisions. Juno chooses to keep the baby, Vanessa chooses to raise the baby, Juno's parents choose to stand by her.

The more I think about this movie the more I love it. Definitely going back for another showing.

It's also completely hilarious. Cody's dialogue actually grew on me. Juno is generally a riot, but my favorite line is when she's in labor and asks her stepmom why she can't get the painkillers, to which her stepmom replies, "Well, honey, because doctors are sadists who enjoy watching lesser people scream in pain."

It's funny because it's true.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Zarles on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Meh. I'd watch Little Miss Sunshine ten more times before I'd watch this one again. For all the kvetching that goes on here about LMS and how badly it wanted to be the indie darling movie, I think Juno does precisely that more than a few times over. I liked it, but the more I think about it, the more Ellen Page's delivery irritates me. I get why the precociousness and Kevin Smith-like delivery is there, but that doesn't stop me from being annoyed by it.

Michael Cera's performance was great, but it almost seemed to be an in-movie reaction against all the constant quirkiness he was surrounded by. It's like he was subconciously trying to tell everyone around him to shut the fuck up simply by not talking so goddamn much.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:26 pm

I enjoyed the movie, but no one talks like that in real life. Most of us mortals here on Earth are lucky to get a zinger or two into a conversation and this movie had conversations layered with them. Entertaining, yes, but realistic, no. Not a movie I'd rave about and tell other people to see, but it was cute, hilarious at times, and I wouldn't shy away from watching it again.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Zarles on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:44 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I enjoyed the movie, but no one talks like that in real life. Most of us mortals here on Earth are lucky to get a zinger or two into a conversation and this movie had conversations layered with them. Entertaining, yes, but realistic, no.

Yeah. For as outlandish and silly as LMS got, at least the conversations that the characters had sounded somewhat realistic.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:45 pm

Zarles wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I enjoyed the movie, but no one talks like that in real life. Most of us mortals here on Earth are lucky to get a zinger or two into a conversation and this movie had conversations layered with them. Entertaining, yes, but realistic, no.

Yeah. For as outlandish and silly as LMS got, at least the conversations that the characters had sounded somewhat realistic.

"Realistic" in movie lingo could of course be synonymous with "trite."

Juno is miles better than Little Miss Sunshine, imo.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Nordling on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:49 pm

I never got my intelligence insulted in JUNO the way I did in LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE. I'm supposed to believe a teenager who was studying to be a pilot had no idea he was color blind? I like LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, but it's cotton candy. Dissolves in your mouth. JUNO has more staying power.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Well, I just think there's a line between witty and absurd. It's obvious a lot of effort was taken to craft the dialogue of this movie. It went beyond a heightened or stylized reality and into its own universe. It's a fine movie taken on its own terms, but the dialogue wasn't realistic or very believable.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Zarles on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:57 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Well, I just think there's a line between witty and absurd.

Pretty much. I kept waiting for a drum roll after every snappy one-liner in Juno. Oh, she's 16 and pregnant, but she asks for a Maker's Mark at her adopting family's house! Wackity-schmackity-doo! So, you like card tricks?

I was with it for a while, but then it just got grating. We get it already, Juno - you're the coolest one in the room, and we're going to hear about it until you FINALLY get humanized with ten minutes left to go in the movie. It just bothered me.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:35 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I thought the Mark/Vanessa storyline was great. And as for the discussion about Mark above, what I took from it is that he isn't a villain, but Cody does somewhat condemn his character in the end for selfishness and a delayed adolescence. After that situation blows up at their house and Juno goes to find Paulie, she says to him, "You're the coolest person and you don't even have to try." The implication there being that he's the opposite of Mark, who does try, very hard. He's someone who doesn't know who he is or what he wants, whereas the characters in Juno that walk away happiest are the ones who can make tough decisions. Juno chooses to keep the baby, Vanessa chooses to raise the baby, Juno's parents choose to stand by her.

Interesting comparison of Mark and Bleeker Dale; I hadn't thought of that before.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 pm

Zarles wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Well, I just think there's a line between witty and absurd.

Pretty much. I kept waiting for a drum roll after every snappy one-liner in Juno. Oh, she's 16 and pregnant, but she asks for a Maker's Mark at her adopting family's house! Wackity-schmackity-doo! So, you like card tricks?

I was with it for a while, but then it just got grating. We get it already, Juno - you're the coolest one in the room, and we're going to hear about it until you FINALLY get humanized with ten minutes left to go in the movie. It just bothered me.

Just watched this- and I'm with ya guys on this one. We get it already. Thought that a few times throughout the movie. The dialogue- entertaining at times -but definetely a bit forced. Sort of Gilmore Girls in movie form but not so witty after all.

There were a few things that I liked (yes- the Vanessa/Mark-thing in the second half of the movie was pretty honest), but in the end this seemed like a movie that couldn't really decide on what it wanted to be.

At times is was trying very hard (as said above) to be a Wes Anderson-style comedy. But in Anderson's movies- the drama is present- but never spelled out. That's what's makes them so enigmatic.

Juno, on the other hand- had liberal infusions of television drama (not necessarily bad though, granted) at times - and that, IMHO, did not make for a good combination.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:10 pm

Juno was the bastard love-child of Rushmore, Ghost World, and Freaks & Geeks.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Saw it, and throughly enjoyed it.

Going through a pregnancy right now may have had an effect on my like of the movie, but I can't say for sure. I thought Ellen Page did good, and I really loved her character's dialogue. She reminded me of several former students of mine wrapped into a messy little package.
The Mark/Vanessa story was just tragic on all ends. Spouses who don't even communicate their true feelings on life... sad. Mark's turn towards the creepy side with Juno was just sad and pathetic. I thought he'd be the perfect father for Juno's child being a kindred spirit of her's. I was a little bummed that Bateman and Cera had no time together on-screen, but such is life.

But... my favorite two characters were Juno's parents. Allison Janney has always done a great job putting some sass/attitude into a character.... but J.K. Simmons... WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?!? I absolutely LOVED his character!! I don't know how much of that has to do with me knowing him as a sadistic rapist skinhead from the show Oz, but I absolutely loved his performance. He and Janney had great chemistry and stole every scene they were in.

My only complaint, and it's a weak one... is that I thought the soundtrack was extremely overrated. I thought the duet at the end was cute, but I don't find the words "genius", "brilliant", or "amazing" alongside simple folk songs such as these. But then, I have no taste. :roll:

Great movie.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 pm

I saw this over the weekend and absolutely loved everything about it. The acting, starting off with (as stated above) J.K. Simmons and Allison Janney fit perfectly with the characters. I wanted a little more Michael Cera, but I can just pop Superbad in the DVD player for that.

The music was touching and sweet. Just like Juno herself. It isn't the best soundtrack ever for a movie, and I don't know if I'll ever pick up anything by Kimya Dawson, but it went with this film. Nice symmetry.

Overall, Jason Bateman's Mark getting all creepy and leaving Vanessa was something I didn't see coming. Obviously he didn't want the baby when Juno went there to sign the paperwork, but I didn't expect him to just up and leave his wife so he can try his hand as a performer. For someone who let Vanessa run the show, I was surprised to see him rebel because of Juno's "financially secure with corporate-sponsored opinions" comment. Especially when his selling out allowed him to live a life of luxury and continue to "somewhat" make music.

Anyway, this will definitely be in the top 10 of movies that I've seen in 2008. I'll give it 5 stars and recommend it to everyone.

Favorite line: "Juno was Zeus's only wife. She was very beautiful, but very mean. Like Diana Ross!"

EDIT-sellout is a word filter?
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby junesquad on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:37 pm

This movie has mixed reviews. Honestly, I only want to see it because Jennifer Garner is in it... I'll probably wait till it comes out on video or gets demoted to the $2.50 theater.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby critch on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:00 pm

I hated this movie. Can anyone explain how Juno, so incredibly smart and everything, so sure of herself that she decided to sleep with the guy a entire year before, didn't use protection? Didn't get on the pill (I'm sure her parents would be cool with it, apparently they didn't care about much.)

I hated how everybody had the same exact voice, I hated that voice.
critch
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:02 pm

junesquad wrote:This movie has mixed reviews. Honestly, I only want to see it because Jennifer Garner is in it... I'll probably wait till it comes out on video or gets demoted to the $2.50 theater.

Jennifer Garner was actually pretty decent in Juno... if you have to decide between Jennifer Garner films of 2007, Juno or The Kingdom, Juno is definitely the right choice!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:06 pm

Maybe Juno erronously believed you can't get pregnant your first time. Maybe she tried to time it right before her period. Maybe she acts smart but is really just a stupid kid like everyone else.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
junesquad wrote:This movie has mixed reviews. Honestly, I only want to see it because Jennifer Garner is in it... I'll probably wait till it comes out on video or gets demoted to the $2.50 theater.

Jennifer Garner was actually pretty decent in Juno... if you have to decide between Jennifer Garner films of 2007, Juno or The Kingdom, Juno is definitely the right choice!

June likes Garner normally I think. I don't think that can be said of most of us sans Alias of course.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:12 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

June likes Garner normally I think. I don't think that can be said of most of us sans Alias of course.

I like Garner sans "Alias!" Although she has made a couple of bad movies in the interim.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Cool. I just havent heard her really discussed here besides Alias, which I know a lot of people like, myself included.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Garner surprised me in 'Juno'. She was really quite good.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Maui wrote:Garner surprised me in 'Juno'. She was really quite good.

Yeah she managed to turn what could have been a very "one-note" character into someone human.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby judderman on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:30 pm

I just had my first geek revelation.

Something about one of the lines has been picking at the back of my mind for weeks, and now I finally figured it out. When Juno goes into labour, she calls out "Thundercats are go!" I couldn't figure out why that didn't jibe with me, until I realised it should have been "Thunderbirds are go!" Thundercats say "Thundercats ho!"
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby critch on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Maybe Juno erronously believed you can't get pregnant your first time. Maybe she tried to time it right before her period. Maybe she acts smart but is really just a stupid kid like everyone else.

All things being equal, I'll just go with the writing sucked and this wouldn't have happened in anything resembling reality. Then again, there's nothing resembling reality in this movie, and not one single character I didn't want to smack the crap out of by the end.
critch
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion