CLOVERFIELD (OMG! IT'S HERE! SPOILERS! AAAAH!!1!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

4 Leaf Clover or Fetid Field?

Slusho!
21%
16%
19%
12%
13%
2%
4%
1%
6%
it drank my milkshake/it really was a lion
6%

Total votes : 85

Postby Zarles on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Saw it for a second time tonight, and for me, it's teh fuckin' sex0rz. I LOVE this movie. I know I'm a totally unapologetic Abrams fanboy, but I could watch this thing over and over. The scene where the monster swats the copter out of the sky is just the best thing ever.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brownkidd on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 pm

Hey, ain't it coolsters. This is actually my first post here. I caught the matinee of Cloverfield this morning and thought it was awesome. It actually made my girlfriend sick because she's alight and motion sensitive. Weird.

Anyway, I pretty much sum up all the plot points of the movie in chronological order on my site which you can read here ----->http://albotas.com/2008/01/spoiler-alert-im-totally-about-to-ruin-cloverfield/. It's a pretty long writeup and I use the eff word a LOT.

SPOILER ALERT!
Here's an excerpt:

"Cut to screaming and running. The little monsters are jumping on everyone and they’re punching and kicking them. A few take the cameraman’s crush down, but Rob saves the day. Good ol’ Rob. Then one takes the cameraman down. Blood on the lens, nice. The cameraman’s crush saves the day. Good ol’ cameraman’s crush.

Now we’re on a platform and running through a door. I’d like to point out that the graphics are so good here that you forget it’s CG. Maybe the grainy camera effect helps. Some little monster guys try getting through the door and our homies slam the door on one of their heads. It’s pretty intense. When that’s over with they bust open a Dasani machine because Coke pays the bills. Bottles of Dasani, labels facing the screen, everywhere. We get to see how fucked up the cameraman’s crush is. She’s pretty fucked up and that’s a fact. It’s okay, Dasani’s made from the tears of Jesus Christ so it’s probably a good idea to pour it on those wounds.

Wow… this write-ups really dragging out… maybe I should just save the rest so you can see the movie…

Nah."

If you're really bored with some time to kill and want to ruin the movie for yourself, or just relive it all through someone else's eyes you might get a kick out of it. Enjoy. :D
brownkidd
GLIB

Postby brownkidd on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:00 pm

Also, did anyone catch the DHARMA Initiative logo in the bottom left before the movie started?

SPOILER ALERT!

Cloverfield dies at the end.
brownkidd
GLIB

Postby bamf on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Absurd! Preposterous! Complete and utter nonsense I say! It is beyond creditability that any woman would allow herself to be recorded via video at 6:45 in the morning still in bed with a smile on her face! Besides that, Cloverfield is pretty much ten gallons of kick ass. Did I buy into the hype machine? Was I a victim of the vast Slusho* marketing conspiracy? No, I’ve successfully stayed in the dark on this one and that’s a good place to go next.

When I was closing my eyes and covering my ears every time a Cloverfield spot came up on T.V. I was constantly reminded of another event film Independence Day. Back then we called it ID4, now I call it something Roland Emmerich did. I’m not embarrassed to say, but rather soft to reveal that I talked up ID4 like it was the greatest film ever made. I was fully taken by the promotional juggernaut that that movie was, right down to watching the mock news reports running on Fox (too easy). After watching my VHS home version I had a decidedly different opinion on that second rate effects blow hard which was summed up nicely when two years later David Duchovany relieved his bladder on the poster in the X-files film.

There are films that will live forever in your head solely on the theater experience that you have. I’m not calling Matt Reves Cloverfield an ID4, because it is damn good. It’s not that I wouldn’t want it in my home theater library either; I just wouldn’t want to see it in anything less than a true theater setting.

Cloverfield is a genuine ride. I mean that in the truest sense of the word “rideâ€
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Zarles on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Well put, bamf. I agree.

Where did you see any Easter eggs?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:50 pm

In the background you can when they frame up the camera right you see alot of two digit numbers i.e. Lost. When they race up the stairs I pretty sure they covered 15, 16, and 42. But this is coming from someone who has never watched the show, I just know about the numbers through trickle down spoilerdom of the show in season one. I'm sure there is way more.

I can't wait to uh...chew on the monster stuff once more zoners have seen it. That fucker was angry.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Zarles on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:54 pm

The only relevant number I saw on the stairs was 47. Alias fans know that number very well.

Believe me - I'm as big of a Lost nut as you can get. I was looking for other stuff, and I didn't see any. I'd love to be proved wrong, though.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:55 pm

I must be wrong then. I assumed it cause there were random numbers everywhere.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Zarles on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:57 pm

You may be right. I can't wait until the DVD comes out so we can get some screencaps going.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brownkidd on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:16 am

I didn't stay for the whole duration of the credits. Did I miss anything?
brownkidd
GLIB

Postby bamf on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:23 am

Only a damn good score. It was like Bernsteins opening to "West Side Story" on the juice. Good stuff.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Fawst on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:25 am

At the end of the credits, there is apparently a quick scene of someone finding the camera? I didn't stick around.

SPOILER (yah, I'll still say it)

Did anyone catch the fact that it is indeed an alien? At the end, when the camera cuts back to Rob and Beth's tape, when the camera is facing the ocean, you can see something fall out of the sky and land in the ocean. I guess that kinda seals it.

Ok, review time.

No, I'm too jazzed from watching it to really review it. Let's just say, I'm surprised and absolutely pleased at the set of balls on this one. It cuts to the bone. There were sequences where I was completely slackjawed, just staring in awe. And (spoiler) the offscreen "I love you" between Rob and Beth just before the Hammerdown... so perfect. Those are the situations you never want to face in life. Yah, getting eaten by a big fucking alien/spider/corpse/cat/lizard/thing is pretty shitty.

What a great fucking movie. I can't wait to see it again. Yes, the women in this WERE beautiful. Marlena was god damn gorgeous, so sad to see that she uhh... went "poof."

Beth's apartment! WOW! Of all the scenarios I had in my head, that was absolutely not one of them. Bra-fucking-vo. I want to go back right now, too bad I have to be up early.

Next time I watch it, I'll be in full-on easter egg mode. I want to catch all the Alias and Lost references :)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:29 am

Fawst wrote:At the end of the credits, there is apparently a quick scene of someone finding the camera? I didn't stick around.

I stay till the house lights go up, this wasn't in mine.

No, I'm too jazzed from watching it to really review it. Let's just say, I'm surprised and absolutely pleased at the set of balls on this one. It cuts to the bone. There were sequences where I was completely slackjawed, just staring in awe. And (spoiler) the offscreen "I love you" between Rob and Beth just before the Hammerdown... so perfect. Those are the situations you never want to face in life. Yah, getting eaten by a big fucking alien/spider/corpse/cat/lizard/thing is pretty shitty.

Spot on.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Zarles on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:59 am

Hurray! More reviews, please. :D
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:20 am

I may give it a "proper" review later, but for now, I loved it. I bought into the hype, I let it suck me in, and I went for the ride. I came out worse for wear on the other side, but it was worth it. I think in the back of my head, I was fully aware of what just about everyone's fate would be (SPOILER! Lilly being the only survivor (essentially) threw me for a loop. I didn't see that one coming.), but it still hurt to lose people. I have to say, now that I've seen the movie... the trailer actually DID show too much! Marlena explosion? Check. Lady Liberty's head? Check. Helicopter ride? Check. Helicopter crash? Check.

I get that they had to give us something to put asses in seats, but... meh. Marlena and the statue were the two I'd want taken back. Can you imagine, when taken into context, how fucking CHILLING that scene with the head would have been? I mean, god damn...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brownkidd on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:21 am

Now posting my ENTIRE review/summary of the film.
SPOILER ALERT!! I RUIN EVERYTHING!!

[size=59]First off, let’s get the trailers out of the way. The only big trailers were for Ironman which looks mighty badass. I’m a huge Robert Downey Jr. fan and he fits the Tony Stark character well. The second big trailer was the teaser for the upcoming J.J. Abrams-directed Star Trek movie. Not much to see save for some construction dudes working on th U.S.S. Enterprise followed by the tag-line, “Under Constructionâ€
brownkidd
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:43 am

Just got back!

Changing shirt before going back out because THE FICKING CLOVERFIELD LION JUMPED OUTTA THE SMOKE AND MADE ME SPILL MY CHERRY COKE

it loses one review point for making me spill.

OMFG

Brain...still processing images.

stomach...still processing shaky cam.

Not shakespeare....HELL of a lot of fun.

9/10

whoever gave it the 4: EXPLAIN YOURSELF

craziness.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:58 am

Thanks for the detailed review/synopsis, brownkidd. Very useful. However, I'm curious. Did you ingest every user-submitted review ever posted on AICN before synthesizing that?
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:00 am

btw, it's not a Lion...It's a "LLAMA"

I know...i didn't see it coming either!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby brownkidd on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:02 am

DennisMM wrote:Thanks for the detailed review/synopsis, brownkidd. Very useful. However, I'm curious. Did you ingest every user-submitted review ever posted on AICN before synthesizing that?

Um... no. Hahah. I've actually never read the reviews or forums here before. I normally just check the front page and bounce.

I typed it up as soon as I got back from the theater. And it shows. Editing's for girls and commies. And people who get paid. :P
brownkidd
GLIB

Postby instant_karma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:06 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:btw, it's not a Lion...It's a "LLAMA"

But is it HUGE?!?!?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:06 am

brownkidd wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Thanks for the detailed review/synopsis, brownkidd. Very useful. However, I'm curious. Did you ingest every user-submitted review ever posted on AICN before synthesizing that?

Um... no. Hahah. I've actually never read the reviews or forums here before. I normally just check the front page and bounce.

I typed it up as soon as I got back from the theater. And it shows. Editing's for girls and commies. And people who get paid. :P

I was just joshin', man. It was a good piece. Sorry if it came over serious.

These people will tell you that, apart from a few typos, I get really anal over my reviews.
Last edited by DennisMM on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:07 am

instant_karma wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:btw, it's not a Lion...It's a "LLAMA"

But is it HUGE?!?!?

It's pretty good sized. Maybe not..y'know "Guiness Book" worthy...but sizable. And it spits. Feisty.

heheheh, I just re-read this, we need a Havoc joke right about now...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:22 am

brownkidd wrote:I didn't stay for the whole duration of the credits. Did I miss anything?

The moment that the credits stop rolling there is crackling audio and then a voice says:

"It's still alive"

That's all you missed. No video or anything and it is only a split second.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:43 am

I hated it. Absolutely hated it. I gave it a 2 only b/c I didn't want to give it the cutesy/jokey rating and there was nothing lower than that.

This film was cheap. Forgetting the 15-20 minutes of fluff that started the film, we get an invocation of 9-11 to start the "real movie." An hour later, we get the off-camera I Love You, seconds before a horrible non-monster related death...b/c again, the monster is so ineffectual/impotent, your heart strings need to be tugged by realistic horrors.

This film had 2, count 'em, TWO scenes that worked as part of a "monster attacks city" movie. 1) Bitch blows up. 2) Monster bites helicopter.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter b/c Cloverfield wasn't a "traditional" monster movie...that it was intimate, raw...real. The kind of "real" where handheld cameras not only have unbelievable battery lives, but can also survive chopper crashes, being gummed to death by a monster, and strategic bombing.

This is of course the same real that allows cell phones to work underground when they wouldn't work above ground due to THE MASSIVE DESTRUCTION. Or the Monster that always happens to be EXACTLY where our main characters are, but just right out of frame. Nevermind that Hud's entire reason for filming EVERYTHING was so people would know what happened. There's always something more important to see...like the floor. Or that wall. Anything to keep the monster off camera until the moment where it gums Hud to death.

Oh, yeah, and when your friends are dying by the handful all around you, who doesn't turn to the retard with the camera and say "YOU ARE BEING AN ASSHOLE!!!"

And how many times can a giant fucking monster...and the US Army, silently sneak up on you? Three times, apparently....

What J.J. Abrams did with this movie is shit in his hand, hide it behind his back, then try to convince you it was a bar of gold. And after handing that shit to you, he shot your dog and said "Wow, that shit was pretty emotional, huh?"

Nope. Still just shit. Cloverfield was shoddy, cheap, and a filthy cheat. I honestly hope it bombs.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby bamf on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:53 am

I could try too make excuses for battery and cell usage...so why not??

The cell thing I figured up top was the tower system being overloaded by calls, so nothing was going out. But sure, underground?? Ok, conceded the point.

Battery life, it's 70 minutes long right? At full charge before the party, I'll buy it. I would imagine if the government edited it down it would have been done with Windows editor, and we would have seen plenty of wipes :wink:

Really though, I know we can go round and round on this. Arguing logistics about a film where a big f'ing monster from the deep or beyond comes with obvious malice intent. I'll suspend my disbelief.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:27 am

Super Happy Mega Fun Slusho Happy Time!

Doesn't hurt that I want Lizzy Caplan to have, like, 10,000 of my babies. The chick that plays Lilly can have the next 10,000.

Also doesn't hurt that there's a giant monster kicking the shit out of Manhattan. I enjoyed the fuck out of this movie. Definitely going to have to see it again.

If the camera has a big battery and the LCD screen is closed it is possible for it to last the length of the tape. I was more skeptical of Rob taking fully charged cell phone batteries off the shelf of the electronics store.

Seeing as how just about every other Abrams Repertory Company player was involved I was kinda surprised that Michael Vartan's character didn't come back from the dead with some big reveal. That said, spectacular work by Michael Bonvillain and Michael Giacchino.

Yeah, I liked this movie.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:45 am

WalterBunny wrote:
TheButcher wrote:I popped about 6 Dramamine pills.
My son even took one.

So, did it help? I may need to know again in the next day or so!

It did help a little. It also made me really sleepy.
I suggest sitting in the back. I sat in the third row which was way too close.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fawst on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:52 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I was kinda surprised that Michael Vartan's character didn't come back from the dead with some big reveal.

You know, as I was cutting out the rest of your message to quote only this, it occurred to me that you were making a joke, and Vartan wasn't in a scene that I missed while blinking. You had me for a moment!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:53 am

TheButcher wrote:
WalterBunny wrote:
TheButcher wrote:I popped about 6 Dramamine pills.
My son even took one.

So, did it help? I may need to know again in the next day or so!

It did help a little. It also made me really sleepy.
I suggest sitting in the back. I sat in the third row which was way too close.

My local theater has stadium seating. Two rows right up front, ground level, another row two-rows-length behind it. That's where I was, off-center. I LOVED it that close. My fiancee got the shaky-sickness. I think seeing it that close was the best way to get really into it.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:24 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:I hated it. Absolutely hated it. I gave it a 2 only b/c I didn't want to give it the cutesy/jokey rating and there was nothing lower than that.

This film was cheap. Forgetting the 15-20 minutes of fluff that started the film, we get an invocation of 9-11 to start the "real movie." An hour later, we get the off-camera I Love You, seconds before a horrible non-monster related death...b/c again, the monster is so ineffectual/impotent, your heart strings need to be tugged by realistic horrors.

This film had 2, count 'em, TWO scenes that worked as part of a "monster attacks city" movie. 1) Bitch blows up. 2) Monster bites helicopter.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter b/c Cloverfield wasn't a "traditional" monster movie...that it was intimate, raw...real. The kind of "real" where handheld cameras not only have unbelievable battery lives, but can also survive chopper crashes, being gummed to death by a monster, and strategic bombing.

This is of course the same real that allows cell phones to work underground when they wouldn't work above ground due to THE MASSIVE DESTRUCTION. Or the Monster that always happens to be EXACTLY where our main characters are, but just right out of frame. Nevermind that Hud's entire reason for filming EVERYTHING was so people would know what happened. There's always something more important to see...like the floor. Or that wall. Anything to keep the monster off camera until the moment where it gums Hud to death.

Oh, yeah, and when your friends are dying by the handful all around you, who doesn't turn to the retard with the camera and say "YOU ARE BEING AN ASSHOLE!!!"

And how many times can a giant fucking monster...and the US Army, silently sneak up on you? Three times, apparently....

What J.J. Abrams did with this movie is shit in his hand, hide it behind his back, then try to convince you it was a bar of gold. And after handing that shit to you, he shot your dog and said "Wow, that shit was pretty emotional, huh?"

Nope. Still just shit. Cloverfield was shoddy, cheap, and a filthy cheat. I honestly hope it bombs.

I can see each and every one of your points.

Still had a blast though. Couldn't help it.

The batterylife cell phone thing...It's a fucking monster movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it...or don't.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:31 pm

This is all very interesting. Alot of mixed reviews.

My next door neighbour's teenage son went - he took a bunch of his friends. They all HATED it. Teenager's too - usually they just eat up these monster movies!!!

I still plan on seeing it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:34 pm

metro systems do have cell reception. atleast in DC you do. Verizon paid a shit-ton to make cells work there.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Vegeta on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:13 pm

*shields eyes from rest of thread*

Okay, I am going to see Cloverfield in about an hour and a half. Be back to report...
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby The Ginger Man on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I can see each and every one of your points.

Still had a blast though. Couldn't help it.

The batterylife cell phone thing...It's a fucking monster movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it...or don't.

I'll admit that the battery life of a video camera could maybe run for 80 minutes, even if you're using the video playback and light fixture. That didn't really bug me, was just a slight nitpick. The camera's ability to survive chopper crash, monster gumming, and bombing...that part I found to be waaaaaay to0 unbelievable.

And the cell phone underground thing...ok. I lived in NYC for 3 years. The guy I saw it with lived there for 10. And when that cell phone started ringing in the subway, we both groaned out loud. Cuz that shit doesn't happen...especially on the 6. We also groaned when the characters magically went from the Lower East Side to 59th St in what seemed to be the span of 1 or 2 subway stops. But hey, I'll admit that I only know these things b/c I lived in NYC. Anyone else in America would probably never notice.

Although my friend, who lived through 9-11, was sooooo pleased to see the director blatantly go for the 9-11 gut punch just to make his monster movie more "scary." And by pleased, I of course mean pissed and offended.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:34 pm

Cell phones, camera life...yadda. Monsters don't usually attack Manhattan either, so I guess I just don't have a problem with suspending a little reality there.

The Ginger Man wrote:
Although my friend, who lived through 9-11, was sooooo pleased to see the director blatantly go for the 9-11 gut punch just to make his monster movie more "scary." And by pleased, I of course mean pissed and offended.

Now THIS is interesting. I'll agree there were direct parallels, but what stood out to your friend (who was actually THERE for 9/11, unlike me)? Other than the obvious, that is: mass destruction in NY. To me it was the smoke/dust rolling down the streets, the people running in terror, among other things. Very reminiscent of the 9/11 footage. There were specific mentions of "terrorist attack??" on the roof at the beginning, but that's completely natural in a post 9-11 America and it would have been insulting our intelligence NOT to have someone mention the possibility.

I'm not disagreeing...but what specifically bugged your friend?
Last edited by Lord Voldemoo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Strabo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:36 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:What J.J. Abrams did with this movie is shit in his hand, hide it behind his back, then try to convince you it was a bar of gold. And after handing that shit to you, he shot your dog and said "Wow, that shit was pretty emotional, huh?"

This is exactly what I was expecting. Thank you for saving me eight bucks.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby brownkidd on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:40 pm

DennisMM wrote:
brownkidd wrote:

I was just joshin', man. It was a good piece. Sorry if it came over serious.

These people will tell you that, apart from a few typos, I get really anal over my reviews.

Hahah. No offense taken.

I just realised that this movie would have been better with more exploding people.. like if instead of going into a tent to explode if that chick would've exploded while everyone was just chillin' and drinking Dasani.
brownkidd
GLIB

Postby WalterBunny on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:42 pm

Here's something that one of my friends pointed out. I'm not sure about it, but I'll look for it when I go back to see it again.

He said in the very last scene, before the credits, that takes place at Coney Island a month and a half before all the shit went down, if you watch the background and ignore Ron and Beth, you can see something fall from the sky and into the sea.

Maybe the lion was Superman...?
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:49 pm

I am going to check it out for the third time today!

I totally dug the hell out of this flick.

And by the by, Cloverfield opened HUGE. 16.75 million on Friday. Check the B.O. thread for more!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Wow, teh glibs are out in force for this one! I had no idea editing was for girls. :roll:

Searching around the net today, and I found that one of the main reasons the Statue's head was used so prominently in the movie's ad campaign and defining scene was because Abrams is such a fan of Escape From New York. He said he always felt cheated that the Statue was featured so prominently on the movie's poster, but not in the film itself, so he used it in Cloverfield to make up for that. Neato.

Maui, teenagers are idiots. I saw it for a second time yesterday, and the entire back two rows of the theater were filled with them. By the time the movie was over, every other person in the theater wanted to kill the little bastards as they walked out. YELLING during the movie, throwing shit, you name it. Awful.

Leckomaniac wrote:And by the by, Cloverfield opened HUGE. 16.75 million on Friday.

YAY.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Went and saw this at a matinee this afternoon. Excellent survival horror.

One of the things I found interesting about Cloverfield is it didn't feel like a movie. It felt like you were literally watching unedited footage in the raw. Thus explaining why there was an obvious disconnect from the characters. I didn't feel that much for them, but their obvious terror. You only knew enough about them to get names and some of the relationships. Therefore, when they were killed I wasn't bothered one way or another (except for Hud, cause he rocked). This was a lot like watching the news on 9/11. Just standing there kind of slackjawed, the main difference was we knew this was just a movie. If you saw this exact same shit unrolling in real life we would all be stopped in our tracks like the people in the electronics store. Just rattled to the core.

All in all, I thought it was a good film experience. The subway lull came at just the right point as the shaky cam was starting to really get to me and I needed a break for the end. Sure there were leaps of logic, the camera surviving all that crap (not to mention battery life), cell phone calls in subways, the lunacy of climbing into a building that is leaning on the building you're in and being able to actually navigate the leaning one, and a big fucking monster thing attacking New York City on May 23rd. They're all leaps... you bought the ticket, take the ride.

The monster itself remided me a lot of the thing in "The Host" only way bigger. The lice spider's looked exactly like bobcat sized versions ot the spiders in "Starship Troopers". I just felt that the monsters skin needed to not look so smooth if it had all these little things all over it, that and you would think it would looked injured and fucked up from all the buildings and bombings. Oh well, can't get everything you want.

In the end I think that Cloverfield is a must see in the theatre and probably only needs to be seen once. I just don't think I'll need to see it again after the expereince. I already know exactly what's going to happen and how, there's no real character development, so it's just a really good stand alone thriller.

Vegeta gives Cloverfield 4 out of 5 punches (or an 8 on this scale):
ImageImageImageImage
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Zarles on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:07 pm

If you saw this exact same shit unrolling in real life we would all be stopped in our tracks like the people in the electronics store. Just rattled to the core.

I think that was one of my favorite parts. When LOOTERS are stopping dead to watch something on a television in the store they're looting, you know it's gotta be some serious shit. Great reaction shot.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:21 pm

Zarles wrote:
If you saw this exact same shit unrolling in real life we would all be stopped in our tracks like the people in the electronics store. Just rattled to the core.

I think that was one of my favorite parts. When LOOTERS are stopping dead to watch something on a television in the store they're looting, you know it's gotta be some serious shit. Great reaction shot.

That was one of the highlights of the film, just a total omg moment that you could really feel. :shock:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Zarles on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:27 pm

One of my favorite images is when the monster's foot stomps on the tank and smashes it. It's quick, (it's when the camera quickly pans left and shoots under an overpass as the characters are running to the military helicopters) but it was really Godzilla-ish. Good stuff.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Zarles wrote:One of my favorite images is when the monster's foot stomps on the tank and smashes it. It's quick, (it's when the camera quickly pans left and shoots under an overpass as the characters are running to the military helicopters) but it was really Godzilla-ish. Good stuff.

Tons of great visuals in this film...
The building collapsing down the street after the statue of Liberty's head lands.
The Stealth bombers bombing teh monster.
The many slick between building shots of the military and the monster.
...many more.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Zarles on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Or when the mini-monsters show up when they turn on the nightvision on the video camera! :shock:

There was an audible GASP in my theater when that happened. The main beastie was very successful, but I think the little guys were really a great idea. If they hadn't been included, it would've been much easier for the characters to hide. None of the dark scenes would've been nearly as effective if there was only Big Bad for the audience to be worrying about.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WalterBunny on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Zarles wrote:Or when the mini-monsters show up when they turn on the nightvision on the video camera! :shock:

The great thing is that this sequence, and the part where the beastie bursts forth from the smoke to grab the helicopter, they were both scenes that I knew were going to be "jump" scenes. I'm a jaded horror film buff, so I knew that those sequences were going to be "jumps."

And they still worked on me.

So that's how the film has my heart. Things like that.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Zarles on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Yeah. I could see the fight scene in the tunnels coming, but the big fucker jumping out of the smoke truly shocked me. The mini-monsters jumping right at the camera with the nightvision on was a nice touch, too.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:12 pm

I am going to repost what I wrote in the B.O. thread because I think it deserves being discussed here as well:

leckomaniac wrote:Well, and here is the thing, the reaction to the film here in the Zone has been quite positive. And I think it is an excellent film. HOWEVER, I have seen it three times already and I can tell you that in all three viewings the reaction in the theatre has been VERY negative. A lot of groaning at the end and a lot of people walking out saying "It was alright" and "that ending sucked!"

I called my little brother in the suburbs and asked him how the theatre reacted and he had a very similar experience. So, I am not sure that the reaction to the film outside of the Zone is as positive as you make it out to be.

I guess we'll see how the film holds up during the week and into next week. And I think the size of its drop off from Saturday to Sunday and Sunday to Monday will be an early referendum on its appeal to the masses.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? How well do you think this film will hold up after the initial "Wow" has worn off?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion