The Wire: Best TV Series Ever?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Best. Show. Evar?

You're goddamn right it is, nothing else touches it
62%
It's good, but I wouldn't go overboard with the praise, buddy
27%
Run-of-the-mill stuff
5%
Just another shitty cop show
6%

Total votes : 108

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:56 pm

Actually it will air the monday before on OnDemand!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Wrong Guy on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:54 am

Holy Crap this trailer is awesome! :shock:

Don't watch if you don't want some spoilerish stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7HoWd7mY8E
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:09 pm

BADASS!

You were right about the spoilery stuff though, I think I'd rather be surprised by a certain characters return to the mix.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:41 pm

The Wrong Guy wrote:Holy Crap this trailer is awesome! :shock:

Don't watch if you don't want some spoilerish stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7HoWd7mY8E

2 more weeks!!!!!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:03 pm

First episode is OnDemand now!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:40 pm

Does that mean people have seen it? What does it all mean, "on demand"?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Heh, I don't know whether you're joking, but just in case, this is OnDemand
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:52 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Does that mean people have seen it? What does it all mean, "on demand"?

Pacino, OnDemand is a feature alot of the US cable companies have now, if you have a HBO subscription you can watch certain eps of their shows whenever you want (kinda like PPV but free).

Season 5, episode 1 is on there now. I haven't seen it, I still have 4 other seasons to watch first. :P
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:54 pm

I wasn't joking, thanks for the info people! *scurries off to do illegal things*
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:45 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I wasn't joking, thanks for the info people! *scurries off to do illegal things*

You can't!!!! It's not "there" I've searched and searched.

::weeps::
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:42 am

I didn't have a problem finding it.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:06 pm

I didn't have a problem finding it but it's in fucking WMV format, funk dat shit
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:47 pm

I got it.

::beams::

Thge format isn't that bad surely? VLC plays it fine.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Solid Gold.

I'm in love with the newspaper story already. And everything else is just as compelling as before. I can't wait to see Marlo make a play at the co-op's shipment. And what the fuck is going to happen with Bu.. sorry, Reginald?
The theme tune is probably my second favourite after The Blind Boys Of Alabama/first season version.

Now on to episode 2!!!!!
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:40 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Solid Gold.

I'm in love with the newspaper story already. And everything else is just as compelling as before. I can't wait to see Marlo make a play at the co-op's shipment. And what the fuck is going to happen with Bu.. sorry, Reginald?
The theme tune is probably my second favourite after The Blind Boys Of Alabama/first season version.

Now on to episode 2!!!!!

I like the news story too. It was nice to see an old face from Homicide in the news room too.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 pm

So what episodes did air on demand? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7?
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:29 pm

I've only seen 1,2,5 and 7 around. I've wathced the first two and they are brilliant. I can't quite believe what just happned at the end of episode two. There have been a lot of holy shit moments on the show but this was something else.
Bad and terrible shit is going to happen.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:46 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:So what episodes did air on demand? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7?

Only episode 1 is ondemand. The rest have leaked from a critic screener.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:26 am

Tx, that explains 'it' :) *Scurries off to do more Pacino's...*
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 am

TonyWilson wrote:I've only seen 1,2,5 and 7 around. I've wathced the first two and they are brilliant. I can't quite believe what just happned at the end of episode two. There have been a lot of holy shit moments on the show but this was something else.

That moment you speak of makes sense in the context in which it was presented. After you mentioned something I was sort of waiting for what I thought would happen and while iI surprised with how it went down, I was not surprised at the event itself.
Last edited by stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:35 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I 've only seen 1,2,5 and 7 around. I've wathced the first two and they are brilliant. I can't quite believe what just happned at the end of episode two. There have been a lot of holy shit moments on the show but this was something else.

That moment you speak of makes sense in the context in which it was presented. After you mentioned something I was sort of waiting for what I thought would happen and while iI surprised with how it went down, I was not surprised at the event itself.

Yes, Stereo, quite right. At first it was just the shock of seeing him do it. But it makes perfect sense and what's more it's the exact kind of thing the character would do after being promised the new day by Daniels only to see it never happen.
It also fits perfectly into the newsroom storyline - if you check out the newspaper advert that's been on the hbo website you can see that the woman reporter has leapt on McNulty's scheme too.

EDITED FOR SPOILERS

Sorry people.
Last edited by TonyWilson on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyWilson

Postby anthonymous on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:40 pm

Could we be a little less spoilery please fellas? (or at least mark them). I've only seen the first ep but know more than I want to about the end of the second!

Thanks x
whatever trevor.
anthonymous
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:40 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I 've only seen 1,2,5 and 7 around. I've wathced the first two and they are brilliant. I can't quite believe what just happned at the end of episode two. There have been a lot of holy shit moments on the show but this was something else.

Yes, Stereo, quite right. At first it was just the shock of seeing him do it. But it makes perfect sense and what's more it's the exact kind of thing the character would do after being promised the new day by Daniels only to see it never happen.
It also fits perfectly into the newsroom storyline - if you check out the newspaper advert that's been on the hbo website you can see that the woman reporter has leapt on McNulty's scheme too.

where is this advert?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:43 pm

anthonymous wrote:Could we be a little less spoilery please fellas? (or at least mark them). I've only seen the first ep but know more than I want to about the end of the second!

Thanks x

i tried to keep it vague =/

my apologies
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:26 pm

It's the one on the frontpage of The Wire section on the HBO website. There were clearer versions in newspapers and magazines where the print was readbale. They are still online around somewhere.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:30 pm

TonyWilson wrote:It's the one on the frontpage of The Wire section on the HBO website. There were clearer versions in newspapers and magazines where the print was readbale. They are still online around somewhere.

Yeah I wish you could read the stuff on the hbo site.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:35 pm

[url=http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/01/predicting_the_wire_a_talmudic.html]Here we go, Stereo.
[/url]
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:40 pm

TonyWilson wrote:[url=http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/01/predicting_the_wire_a_talmudic.html]Here we go, Stereo.
[/url]

Thanks Tony. That's got some pretty cool stuff in there.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:57 pm

A nice recap/review of the wire:

Spoilers of past seasons and season five episode one found within.

pajiba wrote:"The Wire" - Season Five / The TV Whore
Jan. 3, 2008

"The Wire" is unquestionably the best show on television. I have no problem making this statement. I could also make a very strong case that's it's the best show ever -- no other show I can think of has ever tackled such real and important issues with the breadth and pathos and humor that "The Wire" hits us with in any given episode, let alone over the course of the past four seasons. Creator David Simon has said that the underpinning of the show is Greek tragedy, complete with tragic heroic destinies, non-black-hat anti-heroes, and gods in the forms of the well-rooted institutions (the police system, City Hall, the ranks of the drug trade, education -- whoever you work for, Simon says, "you're going to be betrayed").

Of course, what Simon and co-creator Ed Burns have put together far surpasses the best and most intricate of the Greek tragedies -- "The Wire" is really the Great American Novel for the 21st Century. It is so much more than simply another procedural and, in truth, "The Wire" is not really a cop show at all. Sure, the cops are some of the dominant characters, but it's not about them. It's about economics and politics and sociology -- it's about the modern American inner-city. That's why the show made the brilliant and surprising decision, after Season One, to turn away from just focusing on the failed drug war, giving us a new and mostly (but not entirely) unrelated storyline about the Baltimore docks. That Season Two storyline showed how the white working class faces many of the same societal issues as poor minorities, and that we're really talking about class here, rather than race. I was recently talking to a friend who said that this second season was, by far, her least favorite season. And I can understand that. But I think it was a brave and necessary season to sculpt the version of Baltimore being presented to us, because Baltimore is really the show's central character, a character far more important than McNulty or Stringer or Omar. Of course, Season Three turned back to the drug trade and the police focus on the Banskdale crew, while also exploring some of the failures and trappings of the political system and how the whole game is rigged to stifle reform. And then came Season Four and its exploration of the broken education system and how kids slip the cracks and find their home on the corners. And fucking hell, while every season has had its moments of heartbreak, no season was more tortured and painful than Season Four. Just fucking killed me, it did. Which is probably why it was also the funniest season to date. It had to be.

"The Wire," as brilliant as it is with its drama, is also a wickedly funny show, with some of the blackest humor you can find. "We couldn't show the real, because the real is too powerful," says Burns. "We soften it with humor -- you either laugh or you cry." And as I say, last season desperately needed the humor to keep you from hanging your head in eternal depression. For those who need a refresher before jumping into the fifth and final season, let's do a little recap of Season Four. (Obviously, don't keep reading if you're not caught up with Season Four yet -- instead, go rent yourself some DVDs and get caught the fuck up!) Coming off of the Hamsterdam drug legalization experiment, we found ourself focusing on quite a few plot threads in Season Four. Marlo Stanfield managed to take over most the Western Baltimore drug trade in the wake of most of Barksdale's crew being taken down. And when the Major Crimes Unit was actually up and running, it was focusing its efforts on Marlo and trying to figure out how he was keeping control without dropping bodies. Of course, Major Crimes was shut down for much of the season, as it wasn't reinstated until newly elected Mayor Tommy Carcetti started his "it's a new day" initiative. Speaking of which, you'll recall that much of last season also involved watching Carcetti pull off his from-behind campaign, taking over the mayoral chair and quickly learning that his reform promises may have been a little lofty given the state of the city's financial affairs, particularly the whopping deficit in the education system.

And it was that financially unequipped education system which really sat at the heart of the season, a world we took a look at via a few different channels. First, we followed former police Bunny Colvin (he of the Hamsterdam experiment), who partnered up with an academic book-type to take yet another innovative approach to reform, this time in the form of a class catered to the trouble makers and potential corner kids. And yet again, Colvin finds the system unwilling and unable to consider and accept true reform. Meanwhile, we also followed Roland Pryzbylewski, more former police, as he began his new career as a teacher, coming in all doe-eyed and full of gusto only to be relatively disillusioned thanks to the abysmal state of affairs in our inner-city public schools. Interwoven into both of these threads, and underlying what made this season the best yet, were the exploits of four of the kids in Prezbo's class. In a tragic numbers game, three of the four boys landed in bad places by season's end, despite all of them starting off full of potential. The only one to get out was Namond, the unlikeliest of the four to land someplace good, given his attitude and family roots (you'll recall that his pops was Wee-Bay, who has been serving a long sentence for being Avon Barksdale's gunman). Namond managed to escape the corner (for now, at least) thanks to Bunny -- while Bunny's attempt to help the many may have been kiboshed by the powers that be, he was at least able to free Namond from the bond of his family ties and adopt the boy into a stable middle-class suburban life. Namond isn't slated to be a regular character in this final season of "The Wire," and he may not even show up at all, so for now we can assume the he's may actually be one of the few "Wire" folk to wind up with a relatively happy ending. There's also a good chance we won't see Randy this season, as he's also not a regular anymore, but he was left in a much worse place at the end of the last season. While Randy started out as the one "most likely to succeed," things took a decided turn for the worse as the season progressed. His fall was first precipitated by the fact that he was just a kid who couldn't help violating the street ban on snitching when the alternative was getting into some trouble of his own, and it was then exacerbated by the unintentional foibles and idiocy of some of the cops (particularly the more-and-more infuriating and slightly despicable Herc). And when Randy looked up at Sgt. Carver in the penultimate episode to mockingly ask, "you gonna look out for me," well ... Jesus Christ. One of the most heart-wrenching television moments ever. And Carver actually tried to look out for Randy after a firebombing put his foster mother in the hospital, but like so many on the show, Carver found himself stymied by the system. Randy was left in yet another group home, getting his poor ass kicked yet again for being a "snitch" (the true irony here being, perhaps, the fact that he didn't actually rat out the murderers in question and merely told the adults shit which all the corner kids had known for months).

Equally depressing was the path of Duquan, our example of a kid falling right the fuck through the educational cracks. Duquan cam from an absolutely awful home life -- his family would actually sell his shit while he was away at school -- and had been held back a grade because of his lack of development. But Prez actually managed to connect with Duquan, and he started enjoying life and throwing around a smile that melted this miserable critic's heart. But then he was socially advanced to his proper grade in high school and while we the viewer understood why the strung out administration was basically forced to make this move, we also knew that it was anything but the right thing for Duquan. And when he bailed on high school before his first day, we were hit with more season ending tragedy, as Duquan started working a drug corner, with the only silver lining being that he managed to get a new home away from his family. That home was a new pad owned by Michael, the fourth of our original quartet, and the boy who ran the corner Duquan wound up working on. Michael's tough independence caught Marlo's eye early in the season, but Michael managed to turn down Marlo's employment opportunities. However, his home life became problematic when his step-brother Bug's dad returned home from prison, a man who we would learn abused Michael. The great tragedy of Michael's story is that he was given opportunities to be helped by both Prez and Cutty (the ex-con running a local boxing gym), but he was just unable to open himself up to them. Instead, he sought out Marlo, and in exchange for being trained up to be another corner lieutenant and hitman, Snoop and Chris killed Bug's dad.

The Fourth Season ended with Lester Freeman finally finding all the bodies dropped by Marlo and his people, bodies which Snoop and Chris had stuffed into a variety of vacant buildings (Bug's dad was not one of these bodies however, as -- in one of the many brilliant scenes where we are given exposition without a single word -- Snoop beat the living fuck out of him right in the middle of the street, working out rage from his own background of abuse). The finding of these bodies led to McNulty coming back to the Major Crimes Unit, and looked to be the driving force of Season Five.

And the first episode of Season Five picks up on that same plot thread, albeit some time later (the exact timing is unclear, but we look to be at least a few months on from last season's finale, up to a year later). Major Crimes has spent all of its time tracking Marlo and his boys, but it hasn't manged to make much headway (in fact, the Eastern/Western drug co-op manages to hold a meeting literally right under the cops' collective noses). The lack of progress is partially due to the fact that the current state of affairs in the police department is grim indeed. Since Carcetti turned down state funding to save the school system last season (a decision rooted in ego and his desire at eventually making a run for Governor), all available funds have since been diverted to address the school deficit. This not only means the Mayor has not been able to live up to his promises, but that he's had to tighten the police purse strings even further -- overtime isn't getting paid, shit's being limited everywhere, and it's been over a month since the cops have received "an honest paycheck." Unsurprisingly, they're none too pleased with the situation, and to say that the Western District is falling apart would be putting it mildly. And it should come as no surprise that this decline in the situation has a direct impact on our friends at Major Crimes and, by the end of the first episode, it's impossible to say how things are going to shake out over the course of the next nine episodes (sadly, this final season will only be 10 episodes, instead of the usual 12 or 13).

Much as the Fourth Season focused on the underlying thread of the education system, and so too will the Fifth Season tackle an institution, this time in the form of the media. This final season is essentially creator David Simon's own story, based in no small part on his time at the Baltimore Sun, the same newspaper we're introduced to in the premiere episode. Simon has said that this season is about "how far you can go on a lie," and that's flagged early in the first episode when Bunk notes that "the bigger the lie, the more they believe." This first episode does an excellent job of introducing us to the paper and the characters we'll apparently be following, without allowing it to overshadow the other things and characters we care about. As I've mentioned, we spend time with Carcetti, the Western and Major Crimes. We also spend some time with Michael and Duquan, who are up and running their corner full-steam, and who will apparently be regulars throughout this last season. Another possible storyline is only talked about, so it's unclear how much play it will get -- you may recall that Clay "Sheeeeeee-it" Davis was hit with subpoenas last season by Freeman (in fact, it was these subpoenas which lead to Major Crimes getting shut down early in the Fourth Season). Well he's now under full investigation, and the city attorney is about to put together a grand jury to hopefully bring charges against Davis. As I say, it was talked about enough in this episode that I suspect it'll be a significant plot thread, particularly in light of some more politician sketchiness which is unearthed in this episode.

All in all, this first episode was a perfect stepping stone into the Fifth Season. As with seasons past, it was like the first chapter in a book -- more about introducing the relevant characters, the state of affairs and the dominant themes than trying to make shit happen just for the sake of making shit happen. For example, we see that Bubbles is as together as he's ever been, yet we have no idea real hint or indication as to where his story might go this season or how important a part he's going to play in the final season (although he got enough screen time to suggest that he'll be with us for the long haul). This first episode was also funny -- no funnier than prior episodes which, as I say, are often riddled with the black humor. However, many have said that this season happens to the funniest yet, so one expects more laughs as the episodes march on (and given why they resort to laughs, this likely means more heartbreak as well). As the Fifth Season is going to act as a finale to the fantastic book that has been "The Wire," a finale reportedly (and unsurprisingly) complete with mostly less-than-happy endings, I suppose we should take as many laughs as we can get while the getting's good.

Look, there's really no point to anything I've rambled on about in this review, beyond this -- "The Wire" is the tits, the bees knees, the best that there ever will be. So far, the Fifth Season looks to take us out on the same high note we far-too-few fans have come to expect. If you're all caught up with the show and have the luxury of an HBO subscription, you have no business watching anything else. And if you're not caught up or you don't have the HBO, that's what the DVDs are for. Omar ain't whistling dixie -- rent that shit and watch each episode twice. Until you do, you truly don't understand what television is and what it can be.

(One last Third and Fourth Season spoiler -- as much as I miss Stringer Bell, his loss pales in comparison to the loss of Bodie last season. They could kill off everyone else in this final season, even Omar and Bubbles -- and I have no doubt we'll see at least one or two beloved characters kiss the sky -- and I'd still miss Bodie the most of all.)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Just finished the second episode, I am already crying at the thought of this being the last season. What a brilliant show.

It was soooo great to see Barksdale again and I realy love the newspaper storyline. The ending was a bizar McNulty thing, I can't realy place it yet. Gotta watch it again. So much going on!! Best show on tv, period.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby The Wrong Guy on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:11 am

This show is more awesome then all of the other cop shows ever made combined.

Seriously, it is. That's the conclusion I've made after having seen the first 2 ep's of season 5. Plus all the other previous seasons too, obviously.

Love the theme music. Loving Clark Johnson as Gus in the newsroom- "What kind of people stand around looking at fires? That's some shameful s**t right there!"-; loving McNulty back at his worst, loving Bunk at his best (the trick with the copier- priceless, even if it was taken from Homicide). Loving it all. 8)
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:25 pm

Watched the first episode last night, and we're off to a great start. I'd forgotten some details about the previous seasons, so thanks to stereos for posting the recap!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:40 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Watched the first episode last night, and we're off to a great start. I'd forgotten some details about the previous seasons, so thanks to stereos for posting the recap!

Yeah I had forgotten quite a bit as well. My memory is nto what it used to be that is for sure.

After the fifth season finishes I plan on watching the 5 seasons from start to finish, because I am sure there will be even more satuff that will become apparent viewing the series that way.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:55 pm

What does everyone think about Nultys decision?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:01 pm

McNulty's out of his fucking mind!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:McNulty's out of his fucking mind!!!

yeah but it totally makes sense for him to do this type of thing.

It will not end good, however.

I am glad to see Bubs doing well but he hasnt forgiven himself for getting his friend killed so hes going back to his old ways im sure.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Bunk's reaction to Lester joining in on McNulty's operation was priceless.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:48 pm

F'n EH! Simon is really making this season hurt!

Comment made after watching latest episode ondemand.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:50 pm

I got up to episode 7. Holy crap is shit going down. So much awesomeness my brain cannot handle it.

I honestly have no idea how I will wait for the last 3 episodes.

Simon is definitely going to go out on a high note!

Best TV series EVAH!!!!

You even get another Homicide cameo.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:23 am

Well my ass is still waiting for episode 4... meanwhile, episode three featured some terrific character work where it was lacking in plot advancement. Most of the episode focussed on McNulty's scheme (he's out of his fucking mind) which so far is playing out like we expected it to, down to the media's involvement. Omar showing up at the end, however, was priceless. I can't wait 'til he takes down Chris and Snoop, those scary cocksuckers!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:33 am

I've only managed to catch the first episode so far - how the hell are some people already up to episode 7???

Send me a PM if you know something I don't :wink:

Anyway, excellent start to Season 5, I'll be sad to see this show end....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:29 am

Episodes 1-3 have already aired, episode 4 aired last night on HBO OnDemand, and episodes 5-7 leaked (to the usual avenues) a few weeks ago.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:31 am

I watched episodes 4 and 5 last night, some pretty cool moments in 'em!!

Heavy SPOILERY stuff from episodes 4 and 5, and some speculation/analysis:

Sad to see Prop. Joe get taken out like that, but it was inevitable IMO, as I'd been discussing with a friend a few days ago.

It's seemed really suitable, the last cool thing Joe said when he was talking to his nephew, something along the lines of "Younguns losing sight of their history," because in some sense I think Marlo embodies that quite perfectly.

The older guys, Prop Joe especially, as ruthless as they were, always seemed to balance things out with politics. Politics played a detrimental role in how they went about their business, how they shared the pie, and it always made them seem approachable, like they could be reasoned with. They had some sort of code, and a person could work with that. But Marlo is a monopolist. And furthermore, Marlo has no politics, isn't interested in talk and camaraderie. Marlo's a war general, plain and simple. An aggressively ambitious young capitalist, a brilliant strategist, except completely devoid of flair or style, a cold character, lacking in character.

Marlo is a dictator, plain and simple, and because of this the man has got to fall, and he has to fall hard!!! I fuckin' hate Marlo, and I hate Chris and Snoop as well, which is why I got so giddy seeing Omar back on the streets, angel of death that he is. Michael is naturally the only member of Marlo's crew I feel any sympathy towards, and as a soldier he would likely get killed at some point. :(

But Omar has got to get rid of Chris and Snoop. I want to see them get royally PWNT by Omar. The ambush was an intense scene, watching Omar disappear, literally, into the night was amazing, a terrific way to build on the legend.

Otherwise this season there've been some nice cameos/nods to previous seasons: seeing Dennis and the boxing ring, Avon's brief appearance, Valchek's appearance, but most hilarious was Clay Davis busting out a 30-second SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT, LOL!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:06 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I watched episodes 4 and 5 last night, some pretty cool moments in 'em!!

Heavy SPOILERY stuff from episodes 4 and 5, and some speculation/analysis:

Sad to see Prop. Joe get taken out like that, but it was inevitable IMO, as I'd been discussing with a friend a few days ago.

It's seemed really suitable, the last cool thing Joe said when he was talking to his nephew, something along the lines of "Younguns losing sight of their history," because in some sense I think Marlo embodies that quite perfectly.

The older guys, Prop Joe especially, as ruthless as they were, always seemed to balance things out with politics. Politics played a detrimental role in how they went about their business, how they shared the pie, and it always made them seem approachable, like they could be reasoned with. They had some sort of code, and a person could work with that. But Marlo is a monopolist. And furthermore, Marlo has no politics, isn't interested in talk and camaraderie. Marlo's a war general, plain and simple. An aggressively ambitious young capitalist, a brilliant strategist, except completely devoid of flair or style, a cold character, lacking in character.

Marlo is a dictator, plain and simple, and because of this the man has got to fall, and he has to fall hard!!! I fuckin' hate Marlo, and I hate Chris and Snoop as well, which is why I got so giddy seeing Omar back on the streets, angel of death that he is. Michael is naturally the only member of Marlo's crew I feel any sympathy towards, and as a soldier he would likely get killed at some point. :(

But Omar has got to get rid of Chris and Snoop. I want to see them get royally PWNT by Omar. The ambush was an intense scene, watching Omar disappear, literally, into the night was amazing, a terrific way to build on the legend.

Otherwise this season there've been some nice cameos/nods to previous seasons: seeing Dennis and the boxing ring, Avon's brief appearance, Valchek's appearance, but most hilarious was Clay Davis busting out a 30-second SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT, LOL!

Some very good points Pacino.

I love the Omar stuff. Him hiding out in the Rico was a nice touch.
The Lester and Nulty scheme is pretty fn riotous as well.
Clay is one smooth motherf'er though isnt he. I love his little speeches.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:25 pm

Prop. Joe, Nooooo!

Of all the drug dealers, Proposition Joe was easily the most likable. He wasn't a power hungry megalomaniac like the rest, he was a business man. Major crimes could never get a beat on him, because the man did not want to make waves. He was all about keeping the peace and selling the best product at the best price. I hope Method Man gets it worse than Marlow. His cowardice sickens me. Wu-Tang sucks!
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Flumm on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:26 am

I couldn't believe my eyes when Omar went and launched himself over the balcony...

I loved that you feel it coming, too.

"No, there's no way he would... aren't we on the fith floor or som... nah! Wait, wait, ...Omar don't be stu.... OH NOES!!1"

I like the idea of it "adding to the legend", Pacino. I hadn't considered it from that angle. Given the nature of the show, all in all, I fully expect to see him hobbling, broken-limbed in some dingy hideout next episode, though. Perhaps overcoming his pride, and seeking help from one of our guys?

At the moment, as much as Marlow, Wu Taint and Shorty Round must get their just deserves, I'm kind of eager to see where this thing with McNulty and slimey reporter guy, Scott, goes. It 's felt like they've been subtly emphasising his (Scott's) doucheness all season, so it was interesting to see the way they finally showerd thier card in having him mirror McNulty in the meeting like that. Both subverting their chosen professions to meet their own needs, noble or selfish. A nice moment, I thought.

I'm struggling to think where that storyline's gonna go, however. It all seems too preposterous, that it just has to come falling down all around them somehow, hasn't it?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 am

Flumm wrote:I couldn't believe my eyes when Omar went and launched himself over the balcony...

I loved that you feel it coming, too.

"No, there's no way he would... aren't we on the fith floor or som... nah! Wait, wait, ...Omar don't be stu.... OH NOES!!1"

I like the idea of it "adding to the legend", Pacino. I hadn't considered it from that angle. Given the nature of the show, all in all, I fully expect to see him hobbling, broken-limbed in some dingy hideout next episode, though. Perhaps overcoming his pride, and seeking help from one of our guys?

At the moment, as much as Marlow, Wu Taint and Shorty Round must get their just deserves, I'm kind of eager to see where this thing with McNulty and slimey reporter guy, Scott, goes. It 's felt like they've been subtly emphasising his (Scott's) doucheness all season, so it was interesting to see the way they finally showerd thier card in having him mirror McNulty in the meeting like that. Both subverting their chosen professions to meet their own needs, noble or selfish. A nice moment, I thought.

I'm struggling to think where that storyline's gonna go, however. It all seems too preposterous, that it just has to come falling down all around them somehow, hasn't it?

Nice post Flummster!! Some insightful comments as well as PAMPILASH-worthy quips. How far are you into the season so far?

The fact that things were built up by McNulty and the douche journalist DOES seem preposterous, it may just be the most overblown thing the show has ever seen. We can only wait and see how everything plays out during the season.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Flumm on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:52 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Nice post Flummster!! Some insightful comments as well as PAMPILASH-worthy quips. How far are you into the season so far?

Cheers, matey.

Hmm, it's a good time to get some practice in putting thoughts to pixels, I suppose, considering what's coming up on the TV menu, geek-wise.

Good times ahead for coaxial zonage...

Anyway, I'm at the same as you, I think - episode five?

Pacino86845 wrote:The fact that things were built up by McNulty and the douche journalist DOES seem preposterous, it may just be the most overblown thing the show has ever seen. We can only wait and see how everything plays out during the season.

Yeah, the thing with this particular storyline is, as much as we've moments of character and place, in some ways, it's all felt very much of a prelude to it's later moments, whatever they may be...

The newsroom centered threads have been some of the most successful of the season, I would say, but at the same time... it feels like we've been building to something as much as living with it. I wasn't at all suprised to see the two worlds merge and McNnulty's (cockamamie) plan being folded into the floor of the newsroom and vica versa, I'm just still a little anxious as part of me knows, whatever broader themes it's symapthetic to about social-responsibility, or the interconnectedness of our actions and so on, this isn't the entirety of the idea at play.

I know that in the finale, people have to fall, propositions have to be declined, themes have to theme out and not everything goes the way you might want it to, quite deliberately so, I just hope it isn't all a prelude to something too bitter and tragical. Usually it might be something I would favour, but for some reason, I find myself wanting a little happiness for my puppets on a wire.

Anyways.

You were mentioning how it was nice to have a little room for characters from past seasons...

I have to say, I'm glad we got a little moment with Dennis there. Perhaps even a little redemption in the works? I tells ya, Dennis doesn't haven't to anything but look up with that broken, earnest, hang-dog sense of weariness about him, and it breaks my bloody heart, I swear.

Also, it just occured to me yesterday that we haven't had anything from Prez, it would be good to see him again. I think they've just about included most of the family in one way or another, save for a few of the extended Sobatkas, without it being too cutesy, and if we can still somehow have Herc in there in the proceedings somewhere, there's certainly room for ol' Roland.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Flumm wrote:Also, it just occured to me yesterday that we haven't had anything from Prez, it would be good to see him again. I think they've just about included most of the family in one way or another, save for a few of the extended Sobatkas, without it being too cutesy, and if we can still somehow have Herc in there in the proceedings somewhere, there's certainly room for ol' Roland.

I've already seen the first seven episodes at this point :D!!

This is relevant to mention now 'cause at this point the Prez cameo appearance has been totally set up by one element in particular. If my prediction is correct we should see him in episode 8.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Joe Dizzy on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:00 pm

The preposterousness of the McNulty scheme is intentional, I think. "The bigger the lie, the more they believe." as Bunk so eloquently put it in 5.1.

McNulty creating a serial killer to get the funds to go after Marlo is on par with Bunk and Landsman using a Xerox as a lie detector.
Joe Dizzy
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial