Stephen King's "The Mist" (SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Hit or Mist? Wait...Mist or Miss? I'm no good at these...

22%
22%
26%
16%
4%
2%
No votes
2%
No votes
6%

Total votes : 50

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:13 am

That's not hard since The Shining, while a great film, is a terrible adaptation of the book.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:36 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:That's not hard since The Shining, while a great film, is a terrible adaptation of the book.

I've been hearing plenty of that over I Am Legend.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:35 am

The Vicar wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:That's not hard since The Shining, while a great film, is a terrible adaptation of the book.

I've been hearing plenty of that over I Am Legend.

I hope so. I'll take a bad adaptation that's still a good movie anytime. Atleast that way there's some redeeming quality. If it's just a bad movie and nothing like the story than what's the point?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 pm

Nordling wrote:The ending is supposed to upset you. If it didn't it wouldn't be a successful ending. On one level I was fairly rocked to my core, and on another I was admiring Darabont for having the balls to go there.

Really? Because the group I saw it with a) all saw that it was coming, and when Jane did the deed, b) someone said "God it would be hysterical if the Mist went away right at this moment".

So the four of us erupted into laughter at the supposedly shocking ending.

I will say the rest of the movie was pretty good, but tarnished imo because of the religious bitch. Her control over everyone was just so unrealistic and thoughtless, and really comes out of no where.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:27 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote: Her control over everyone was just so unrealistic and thoughtless, and really comes out of no where.

That's a good one...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16 pm

I saw The Mist earlier today, and I thought it was a fairly solid film, marred only by 3 things: Marcia Dumbledore Harden's over-the-top portrayal of the religious zealot, some hackneyed dialog (in some parts), and some crappy CGI (with caveat). Great concept though, and a nice execution overall.

This was the first thing I think I've ever seen Thomas Jane in (never saw The Punisher and have no idea what else he'd been in) but I thought he did a really good job of, as bastard_robo put it, trying to cope with this fantastical horror that he's only imagined on canvas.

Andre Braugher has gotten really studly?? I hope it was a studly suit because he looked pretty trim in FF2.

I thought most of the supporting characters were really well done too, although at first I thought the little Truman Capote-looking clerk was a little too "sage" and "odd" for a small town grocery clerk, but as the movie progressed and we learned more about his character I bought it.

I even liked the kid, who didn't come even close to being as annoying as dozens of other child actors would have been in the role. Either that kid is a genius, or Frank Darabont is a genius director, or they really scared the shit out of that little kid because when he was whimpering and cowering in fear, I believed it.

But yeah, Ms. Harden's character was just too over-the-top for me. I think it's one of those things where on paper, it reads well, but the way she played it was really grating and unbelievable. Be that as it may, I was able to buy into the fact that the townspeople would move to "her side" as quick as they did simply because they were scared shitless and she seemed to be prophetic enough and the bug-nasty DID spare her as she prayed to God. In a micro-hysteria situation, I can see people getting all wacky like they did. Ultimately, I didn't HATE her character, which I think was the desired effect though. I just wished she had less screen time.

As for the CGI, I REALLY wished they spent more time on it. Considering that the mist was used to conceal the creatures, when they were revealed it should have been shocking and horrifying. Instead you just think "ugh, look at the film grain on this process shot... get ready for a CGI effect." There was one scene where you had Tom Jane chasing after a flaming pterodactyl in the store, and it just looked so bad, with cheesy particle flame FX that (dare I say it) looked like they came right out of the ol' off-the-shelf 3D animation software toolkit, i.e. "my first candle" tutorial.

I also wasn't crazy about the design of the insect creatures, i.e. the flying insects and the spiders. I remember in the story they are described as being almost comical, so I understand what they were going for, but watching them on screen all I could think of were the little spider guys from The Outer Limits:

And this was made all the more frustrating after watching that one shot at the end, that ONE GLORIOUS SHOT of the FUCKING MASSIVE creature walking across the landscape in front of the land rover. That one shot almost made up for all the crappy CGI that came before it. That was truly a fantastic shot... just a jaw-dropping moment where you can barely imagine it even though it's right there in front of you. I loved it! Worth the admission price right there. It's a moment like that where CGI works best, showing you something almost Lovecraftian in it's horror and scale, otherworldly and yet being as real as the nose on your face despite being completely fake. The camera angle, the audio FX, the use of the mist and the little flying creatures all around its underside, etc. Oh man, it rivaled that scene at the end of Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" where the tripod was dying and leaning against the building with the birds flying around it. You got a real sense of scale there, and this was no different. It's never fully seen in the book but it's described as being big enough to make a blue whale look like a trout, and they NAILED IT! It was a moment of beauty, horror, and astonishment all rolled up into a scene that practically halts time. I just wish the rest of the CGI was done so well.

As far as the ending goes, again, I think I like the ending in the short story as far as print goes, for its ambiguity, but for the film, having them ride off into the Mist would have been seen as a cop-out I think. In this case, I think having Jane "spare" his 4 companions of the horrors of being savaged by the creatures only to find that if he had just waited a little longer, etc. Jane's performance sold the ending for me as well. As someone said, a nice Twilight Zone ending (maybe to complement the Outer Limits creature design).

The Vicar made mention of the ending on the previous page of reviews, and compared the father's actions with that of the man in McCarthy's "The Road". Inevitable comparisons will be made, and Vic said the last thing vision of him that his daughter would see was him going down fighting. In this film though, I could believe the father's actions in killing his own son to honor his promise not to let the monsters get him. As horrific as it must seem, how could you go down fighting, with the last thought in your head being "what will they do now to my child?" Controversial, and as Nordling said, most audiences won't want to go there... Darabont takes us where McCarthy couldn't.

After Dino making such a big deal of it too, I was glad to see Jeffrey DeMunn last until the end of the film. I liked the way he played his character, which was more subtle than his character in King's "Storm of the Century", where he was a little too much "Pepperidge Fahms" for my liking. But he was great in this.

Overall, a good, solid film that could have used a little more time in the editing room and a little more work in post. But a really good concept and execution for a King adaptation either way.

7.5/10
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:40 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:As for the CGI, I REALLY wished they spent more time on it. Considering that the mist was used to conceal the creatures, when they were revealed it should have been shocking and horrifying. Instead you just think "ugh, look at the film grain on this process shot... get ready for a CGI effect." There was one scene where you had Tom Jane chasing after a flaming pterodactyl in the store, and it just looked so bad, with cheesy particle flame FX that (dare I say it) looked like they came right out of the ol' off-the-shelf 3D animation software toolkit, i.e. "my first candle" tutorial.

So prove it!! :wink:

I'm with you on all counts, sir. I felt much the same about the movie. I've got overwhelming respect for Darabont taking us to the lengths he took us (and to the studio for letting him go so far), but unfortunately it wasn't a seamless ride. The technical blemishes were too significant to ignore. Sure, it all got the job done, but this movie deserved better than those really, really terrible tentacles.

The obscured creatures in the mist were f-ing perfect though.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:35 am

This movie had a miniscule budget ($18 mil) so some of the FX looking rough is to be expected.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 am

$18 million? That's insane. If that's the case then I'm impressed with what they did.

It's a shame they weren't able to spend more on the FX then.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:03 pm

The little nerdy Capote looking dude did play Capote last year, I believe.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:47 pm

The Vicar wrote:The little nerdy Capote looking dude did play Capote last year, I believe.

:lol: You're right! He was in "Infamous", the "other" Truman Capote biopic last year!

Perhaps I should bump this thread?
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:09 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:$18 million? That's insane. If that's the case then I'm impressed with what they did.

It's a shame they weren't able to spend more on the FX then.

Yeah it is a shame it couldn't have been like 30 something but of course then it probably wouldn't have turned a profit.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:06 pm

I saw this a couple weeks ago.

I was pretty pleased with it. I really liked how it was more about how being in a situation like that was affecting the people rather than the actual event.

I was also glad that the director had the balls to take the movie in the direction it went in at the end of the movie, even though I kinda saw it coming. I haven't read the short, so I don't know how it compares.

I also thought there were some very solid performances throughout.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:38 pm

I kinda liked Marcia's perf.

it's a fucking monster(s) movie - look what she, as a human monster, was competing against? Kinda had to be ridiculously over-the-top batshit insane crazy (and yet convince both her sheep-like flock and we the audience of her utter sincerity), a bullhorn for the not-very-subtle-at-all real world tie-in to the religious right and how scared stupid (or scared, stupid) people flock to their self-aggrandizing, hypocritical, fire and brimstone rhetoric.

and that leads to this...I know others have mentioned how people cheered when she was killed, but it kinda made me a bit queasy when it happened at my showing. I understand the catharsis, the emotional resonance of the end to her tyranny...but I still think openly cheering for her death speaks volumes about people's own intolerance for those whose opinions they can't abide.

In a slightly different situation, what would've been next, shooting her followers? It's those easily led automatons, and those that cheer for the death of a really irksome person, that really put the fear of my fellow man into me.

and I don't give a fuck what any of you say, having Jane rescued just moments after he capped everyone was fucktardedly lame...have him wander about for a minute, screaming, while he (and we) wait for his seemingly inevitable demise and then dropping the proverbial bombshell would've not only induced seat grabbing tension, but not have made the ending come across like a ha-ha-GOTCHA moment.

but the flick was a satisfying monster mash with some political/social overtones, and that's about all I was hoping for.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:12 am

In a fairly weak year of horror films (though there was a lot on offer), I think I've found one that finally reached farther than simply "average."

The story is quite simple: an unexplained phenomenon creeps into a small lakeside American town, stranding several folks in a grocery store, and the ensuing events deal with these characters getting completely terrorized without any breaks or loosening of the rope tied around their collective throat.

The Mist is riddled with problems and implausible situations, shoddy writing and some heavy-handed directing. Nevertheless, there's such an old school charm to the film, and a boldness in the storytelling that just pulls you in and lets you revel in the over-the-top horror reverie projected in front of your eyes.

*SPOILER*

And the ending, as predictable as it might be in the brief moments leading up to it, still works. As Jane's character was firing the gun, I thought to myself that it would be pretty daring if they had him get rescued at that moment, but I didn't actually believe that it was gonna happen. It did, and I was genuinely impressed that such a dire tale ended even more horribly. Furthermore, thinking back on the people at the grocery store, the second twist is that in her own twisted way Marcia Dumbledore Harden's character was right all along, as will be evidenced when they are all rescued. In the end, Thomas Jane's character appears the villain, and Harden's character the righteous martyr who, in her death, has probably converted two dozen people. Her legacy will grow. Bad. Ass.

7/10 (Good)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:20 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:and that leads to this...I know others have mentioned how people cheered when she was killed, but it kinda made me a bit queasy when it happened at my showing. I understand the catharsis, the emotional resonance of the end to her tyranny...but I still think openly cheering for her death speaks volumes about people's own intolerance for those whose opinions they can't abide.

Normally I'd agree with you, but it's not about intolerance of her opinions or choices in life, it's about the fact that she was a ruthless dictator who was already active in one death, and was about to have a young child killed. When she was shot, teenagers sitting around all started applauding. I totally joined in. And also, we shouldn't forget that this is a movie. Maybe you were disturbed 'cause you were more enthralled by it than those who cheered, those who never lost the feeling of being spectators to something fictional. If I saw a killer get executed in front of me in real life, I wouldn't cheer or even feel joy.

I think it's the overall over-the-top design of The Mist that had people react like that... I liken it to the cartoonish violence in Kill Bill, for instance. The violence in that film was so absurd that you laugh and feel terrible at the same time. Well, Burl just laughed, but that's an exception.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:29 am

Pacino86845 wrote:but it's not about intolerance of her opinions or choices in life, it's about the fact that she was a ruthless dictator who was already active in one death, and was about to have a young child killed.

so would you have cheered had her followers been killed as well? I mean, you can't be a dictator without people following your dictates - and it's THOSE people that scare me, the easily led automatons who follow a magnetic personality.

I just think that if killing her gets the ok, the cathartic burst of joy, then when do you stop? Just at her 2nd in command, say, or do we clap and applaud if all of her minions get their just desserts?

{Eric Cartman}
It's wrong...WRONG!
{/Cartman}

Pacino86845 wrote:Maybe you were disturbed 'cause you were more enthralled by it than those who cheered, those who never lost the feeling of being spectators to something fictional.

yeah, the pill-popping pot-head is "enthralled", so enraptured by the purty images that he turns off his detached critical functions?

Idon'tthinkso.

If anything, my particular pre-film self medicating rituals and naturally semiotic disposition keep me from succumbing to identification...which is why cheering the death of an obviously crazy-coot-cunt freaks me out something fierce.

Can't have an emotional catharsis if your emotions are (literally) blunted...
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby judderman on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:36 am

Any news on when this is coming out in the UK? It's not listed anywhere.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:40 am

Do you not agree that cheering for something to happen in an over-the-top movie does not reflect how people will feel when the same happens in real life? My point is that I think you're taking people's reactions a little too seriously. Have you never had a sense of guilty giddiness at seeing bad guys get whacked in action films or horror films before?

Anywho, stopping at the head is enough. There have been numerous precedents for dealing with tyrannical regimes in history, as I'm sure you know. You kill those who were dishing out the orders, not those who would be accused of doing the wrong thing by following those orders. It's not a perfect answer, but it's how things get done and they work to varying effect.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:01 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Do you not agree that cheering for something to happen in an over-the-top movie does not reflect how people will feel when the same happens in real life? My point is that I think you're taking people's reactions a little too seriously.

I don't know...have you ever seen someone like that killed in real life? What makes you think people's reactions would be any different?
To me, it came across like simple pandering to the converted, a corrective liberal smackdown of the scary religious (not very)right and their wild posturing.

But, really, please, keep telling me how I feel about things is wrong and stuff, I'm sure you can convince me to feel as you do about the world - I will admit that I could've watched that movie at any other time and the reactions of the crowd might not have bothered me or I might've even cheered along with them...any other night, but that one.

On that one, it scared me.

Pacino86845 wrote:Have you never had a sense of guilty giddiness at seeing bad guys get whacked in action films or horror films before?

so she's "bad" 'cuz in an utterly horrible and unreal situation, she behaves as people are wont to do in such situations - panic and look to the inexplicable for reasoning and rational...or is she "bad" 'cuz people followed her? My point is that I never considered her "bad" - she's stupid, mean, petty, and is miles from her rocker - but how is her perfectly rational reaction to the unreal situation make her "bad"?

I mean, if that bitch would've opened up her stupid-hole in front of ME, I'd of gagged her...immediately.

When I get behind a baddies demise, there taint no "guilt" involved on my end - but then again, my uber-baddies aren't ladies one could easily gag to get to stfu...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:15 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Do you not agree that cheering for something to happen in an over-the-top movie does not reflect how people will feel when the same happens in real life? My point is that I think you're taking people's reactions a little too seriously.

I don't know...have you ever seen someone like that killed in real life?

Insofar as seeing televised executions, yes. I did not cheer and thought anyone who did was a dumbass. Which brings us to your very excellent point:

What makes you think people's reactions would be any different?
To me, it came across like simple pandering to the converted, a corrective liberal smackdown of the scary religious (not very)right and their wild posturing.

I guess I was being presumptuous, projecting my own reactions onto others.

But, really, please, keep telling me how I feel about things is wrong and stuff, I'm sure you can convince me to feel as you do about the world

Holy crappa, did I kill your dog or something? :(

I will admit that I could've watched that movie at any other time and the reactions of the crowd might not have bothered me or I might've even cheered along with them...any other night, but that one.

On that one, it scared me.

Further presumption by me, coupled with naivety w.r.t. humanity and mob mentality.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Holy crappa, did I kill your dog or something? :(

"My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me. WOOF!"
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:13 am

Hey, did anyone catch that when this comes out on DVD, there will be another version of it in black and white? According to Darabont, if there is a director's cut of the film, the B&W version is it. Pretty sweet :)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:17 am

A B&W version is a great idea, visually speaking. Where the effects looked somewhat shoddy, they will look better, and where they looked terrific, during "misty" shots, they will still look great, even having a lithographic quality.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:18 am

could be a mess load bloodier as well, ala "House of Blue Leaves" from KILL BILL...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:47 am

Pacino86845 wrote:When she was shot, teenagers sitting around all started applauding. I totally joined in.

DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:49 am

You know I was gonna say something about that point, but I don't mind looking like a douche actually.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:52 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:so she's "bad" 'cuz in an utterly horrible and unreal situation, she behaves as people are wont to do in such situations - panic and look to the inexplicable for reasoning and rational...or is she "bad" 'cuz people followed her? My point is that I never considered her "bad" - she's stupid, mean, petty, and is miles from her rocker - but how is her perfectly rational reaction to the unreal situation make her "bad"?

I mean, if that bitch would've opened up her stupid-hole in front of ME, I'd of gagged her...immediately.

When I get behind a baddies demise, there taint no "guilt" involved on my end - but then again, my uber-baddies aren't ladies one could easily gag to get to stfu...

This is easy. She's "bad" because she's calling for human sacrifice. That's a generally frowned upon activity and those engaging in it are most likely going to be viewed as an immediate threat. Human sacrifice is hardly a "perfectly rational reaction to the unreal situation".

I do agree that they should have shut her up earlier but by not taking that more fascist route they allowed her to whip up her followers into murderers.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dr William Weir on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Avoiding the rather large spoilers (this forum reeeally needs a spoiler tag) when's this due out in Europe?

I'm almost getting bored waiting. I could upload it to my servers, but I'd rather head on down to watch it on a screen with some Zoners at some point.
Dr William Weir
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:08 pm

Dr William Weir wrote:Avoiding the rather large spoilers (this forum reeeally needs a spoiler tag) when's this due out in Europe?

I'm almost getting bored waiting. I could upload it to my servers, but I'd rather head on down to watch it on a screen with some Zoners at some point.

That donna sound a very "Dr William Weir-ish", eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:13 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Human sacrifice is hardly a "perfectly rational reaction to the unreal situation".

any reaction to an unreal situation is perfectly rational.

and I call for human sacrifices every hour...hardly makes me "bad". Some idiots following along with my suggestion?

That's bad.

I mean, if she'd of been ripping hearts out of chests with her bare hands and doing the dirty work herself...ok, majorly major baddie proclivity, deserves to be put down with extreme prejudice.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:18 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Human sacrifice is hardly a "perfectly rational reaction to the unreal situation".

and I call for human sacrifices every hour...hardly makes me "bad". Some idiots following along with my suggestion?

That's bad.

I mean, if she'd of been ripping hearts out of chests with her bare hands and doing the dirty work herself...ok, majorly major baddie proclivity, deserves to be put down with extreme prejudice.

Sounds to me like a slippery slope. So Hitler or Gotti or Manson aren't "bad" because they directed others to kill but they themselves did not? (in this instance I am thinking more of Gotti after becoming boss rather than his earlier career when he most likely killed) :wink:
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Do I feel a capital punishment discussion coming on? :twisted:

The sword cuts both ways, don't it Keepcool? Crazy lady didn't physically kill anyone, but she orchestrated it by taking advantage of people's vulnerability/stupidity. Capote-looking guy's reaction could also be excused as a "rational" act in an "unreal situation," no? Maybe you don't see difference between him and the butcher (the dude who stabbed the young soldier in the gut), but I don't think crazy lady is completely absolved of responsibility just 'cause people were stupid enough to follow her.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:24 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Sounds to me like a slippery slope. So Hitler or Gotti or Manson aren't "bad" because they directed others to kill but they themselves did not? (in this instance I am thinking more of Gotti after becoming boss rather than his earlier career when he most likely killed) :wink:

Real situation's, CK, vs. unreal. I don't think one can judge Carmody's(sp?) actions the same way, though I do get your line of reasoning...

hell, I can even rationalize her follower's actions - caught up in an unbelievable moment, their puny minds did what they deemed was a life saving move - kill others to appease their bloodthirsty, morally righteous lord, the old "O spiteful one, show me who to smite and they shall be smoten!" defense.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:30 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:but I don't think crazy lady is completely absolved of responsibility just 'cause people were stupid enough to follow her.

so killing her is the answer?!?

and, what if, say another rose in her place? Off with their head as well? And then another, then another...

my solution, killing the followers rather than leaders, rids us of not only other mouths to feed, it will indubitably raise the collective IQ's of the general populace...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:33 pm

and christ on a gentleman, my queef was with cheering her death, not the killing itself.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:36 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I mean, if she'd of been ripping hearts out of chests with her bare hands and doing the dirty work herself...ok, majorly major baddie proclivity, deserves to be put down with extreme prejudice.

Cinematic precedence has a demonstrated that a the ripping of a the hearts outta the chests, she is a punishable by falling off of a the rickety rope bridge after it has a been cut with a the machete, falling down inna'to a the alligator-filled river, skidding your bald head onna the side of a the cliffs onna the way down, anna then being eaten by a the said alligators, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Sounds to me like a slippery slope. So Hitler or Gotti or Manson aren't "bad" because they directed others to kill but they themselves did not? (in this instance I am thinking more of Gotti after becoming boss rather than his earlier career when he most likely killed) :wink:

Real situation's, CK, vs. unreal. I don't think one can judge Carmody's(sp?) actions the same way, though I do get your line of reasoning...

hell, I can even rationalize her follower's actions - caught up in an unbelievable moment, their puny minds did what they deemed was a life saving move - kill others to appease their bloodthirsty, morally righteous lord, the old "O spiteful one, show me who to smite and they shall be smoten!" defense.

Good points.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:41 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:and christ on a gentleman, my queef was with cheering her death, not the killing itself.

I wasn't saying it was ok, but I was trying to point out that her killing could also be explained as an act that seems rational considering an "unreal" situation.

As for the reactions of audiences, to bring everything full circle, I suppose I should write some more.

First I didn't mean to tell you how to feel, I was simply trying to give the audience in your cinema the benefit of the doubt. Of course I was wrong, 'cause I assumed that the cheers were in the same spirit as those in the cinema I'd seen the film in. During my screening, my friend and I were surrounded by these teenagers that continually snickered and reacted to the film. And it wasn't obnoxious at all. I think everyone among the crowd I saw the film with sort of got the heavy-handedness and extremely exaggerated characters of The Mist. The thing is we didn't take any of it seriously, it was almost like watching a cult movie, which is why I think I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Now, I'm going to be presumptuous again, but if the audience was sort of mean-spirited in cheering crazy lady's death, then I could understand how that would be spooky. Again, I'm being presumptuous, I hope I'm getting what you meant by the reactions that spooked you out. Otherwise you'll have to elaborate so that my dumb ass can understand.

In any case, it's that sort of "satisfied" cheering, the vindication of one's own beliefs manifested as an act of violence that would be pretty alarming, and I guess I would feel the same way if I was in your place. Is that it? Am I close?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:18 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Cinematic precedence has a demonstrated that a the ripping of a the hearts outta the chests, she is a punishable by falling off of a the rickety rope bridge after it has a been cut with a the machete, falling down inna'to a the alligator-filled river, skidding your bald head onna the side of a the cliffs onna the way down, anna then being eaten by a the said alligators, no?

my Mola Ram reference adroitly acknowledged!

Pacino86845 wrote:I wasn't saying it was ok, but I was trying to point out that her killing could also be explained as an act that seems rational considering an "unreal" situation.

ok I get that, but it leads me to this...Carmody isn't "unreal" - people like that do exist, do have followers - which is why, despite the over-the-top obviousness and the up-in-your-face symbolism she represents, I don't think she was supposed to represent an "unreal" scenario.
She's real, in a way, thus making her and her followers all the scarier.

As for the reactions of audiences, to bring everything full circle, I suppose I should write some more.

Pacino86845 wrote:I was simply trying to give the audience in your cinema the benefit of the doubt. Of course I was wrong, 'cause I assumed that the cheers were in the same spirit as those in the cinema I'd seen the film in.

no, no, the reactions were 'prolly in the same vein...as I tried to explain earlier though, to me it felt like "red state/flyover country" exploitation.

Pacino86845 wrote:The thing is we didn't take any of it seriously, it was almost like watching a cult movie, which is why I think I enjoyed it as much as I did.

well I did take this monster movie seriously, because in spite of the heavy handed obviousness, there were real life implications...which is why I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Pacino86845 wrote:but if the audience was sort of mean-spirited in cheering crazy lady's death, then I could understand how that would be spooky. Again, I'm being presumptuous, I hope I'm getting what you meant by the reactions that spooked you out. Otherwise you'll have to elaborate so that my dumb ass can understand.

to me it screamed of a bloodletting - killing Carmody and what she represents came across to me as hypocrisy - I know I'm fed up with right wing bible thumpers and their fire 'n brimstone rhetoric, so I can only imagine that others are as well...but to cheer her death reeked of succumbing to the same base instincts as the followers of said bible-thumpers...it was, to me at any rate, highly disturbing to note that the cheer-ers were goose-stepping in line based on ham-handed storytellling manipulation.

Pacino86845 wrote:In any case, it's that sort of "satisfied" cheering, the vindication of one's own beliefs manifested as an act of violence that would be pretty alarming, and I guess I would feel the same way if I was in your place. Is that it? Am I close?

either that, or I could just have been in an even more alarmingly bitchy disposition than I normally am...

yeah, I know, I didn't think it could happen either!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:55 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Dr William Weir wrote:Avoiding the rather large spoilers (this forum reeeally needs a spoiler tag) when's this due out in Europe?

Dunno who that guy is but he's slipping, that's for sure.

So, any idea when the UK release for this is? I'm looking forward to seeing a King novel given some justice to on the silver screen...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:14 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
DinoDeLaurenti is wrote:

Dunno who that guy is but he's slipping, that's for sure.

So, any idea when the UK release for this is? I'm looking forward to seeing a King novel given some justice to on the silver screen...

Jesus H Ronnie Corbett?!?!! Where the fuck did you come from?
Blast...Past......Mein Leiben!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:23 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Dunno who that guy is but he's slipping, that's for sure.

That's a problem with alla these putzes onna the Zone using alla these "alt" IDs, eh? They canna keep uppa the "act", iffa you will, inna the conna'sistent manner, no?

Better to just a be a yourself, that's a what a the Dino, he says...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:42 pm

Yeah, you'd have to be rather special to keep it up for any length of time. :wink:

All I can find on a UK release, Weir, is that there isn't one yet. How odd is that?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Just seen this, this is proper old school Horror done right, made me feel like an 8 year old boy again. I saw the ending coming but it still worked, it's not high art, just a nice, tense and intimate character driven piece that played like a feature length episode of The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits or whatever and the ending fitted that kinda format.

It's classic King done right, definitely one of the best Horror's I've seen in a long long time, I know that's not saying much because there really hasn't been anything good for ages (that I can think of right now anyways) so all I can say is if you grew up on Horror films and want to feel like a Horror obsessed little boy (or girl) again go and check this one out.

9/10 for delivering exactly what it set out to do.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:28 am

How did you see it, screener copy?

I still cannot believe that this doesn't have a UK release date.

:? :evil:
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:07 am

I'm still fucking pissed this has no distribution here. AFAIK there's no screeners on the web either, so even if you wanted to be naughty you couldn't be.

DVD release in the states is 25th March (or so) so looks like I'll be on PlayUSA being impatient when it's released...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:22 am

I'll be right there too!

How on earth did this not get distribution?

King and Darabont! Have they not heard of Shawshank :evil:
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:53 am

I've no idea, I've searched for it numerous times on the web but there's absolutely no news on it. It's really strange.

Did it do that badly in the States?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:21 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:even if you wanted to be naughty you couldn't be.

I'm naughty
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion