There Will Be Blood (SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The black blood of the earth?!?

39%
25%
13%
11%
No votes
5%
if you rate it lower than 5, you suck!
7%

Total votes : 56

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 am

tapehead wrote:Get on the fucking train then.

I checked the nearest cinema showing it to me and it was Manchester, 50 miles away and 35 quid return on the train.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:13 am

Mate, I deleted that post as it seemed a bit harsh - I would say this is one of my top five for the last year's movies, if that helps, and if you decide you can get to it, you won't regret it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:19 am

It's cool, tape. Believe me if it was a case of a 10 or even 20 quid ticket I'd do it but 35 quid and 2 hours travelling is excessive for me at the moment.
I will endeavour to catch it on the bigscreen somehow, though.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:59 am

tapehead wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote: However, it most definitely has affinities to Von Stroheim's silent masterpiece Greed (do watch this film if you get the chance).

And although until I'd seen it I steered clear of reviews, this is the second time since then I've heard someone bring up the Von Stroheim movie. I've never seen it, I'm going to have to. It took me a good week or two to get my head together on the subject after watching TWBB - I found it difficult to actually be articulate on the subject without sounding as hateful and twisted a fucker as ol' Plainview himself, such empathy I'd developed for him in the course of viewing.

I know that Greed is periodically shown on TCM here in the UK, tape. It makes a fascinating companion piece I think to There Will Be Blood and is essential viewing even at nearly four hours long.
There might be an outside chance (no maybe more than that) to obtain a DVD copy of it on ebay. I'm not sure whether the copyright on it has elasped therefore making it "a public domain" movie. If such is the case then you should be able to pick it up for just a few quid - good luck.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Public Domain! I'm guessing you're right - there's a few sites that host these films...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:23 am

Oh yes, it was a masterpiece. Loved all of the reviews you guys wrote, I didn't read each of them fully, but the combination of reviews makes this one of the best threads in this place. Regardless of what your opinion was, if you wrote a review for this film in here, I drank it up!! *slurp*

I definitely felt that besides the Malick influence, there were influences from Shakespeare, Citizen Kane, and most notably Kubrick (so I concur with tapes and Whedo, of course). Any other influences that may have been brought up were beyond me 'cause of lack of knowledge of their respective sources.

The film was far more unsettling than I expected, or realized even as I stepped out of the movie theater. Only at home, late at night, did it occur to me that I'd been feeling literally sick in the stomach.

Such a compelling character Plaineview was, so uncompromising despite his humanity (which I agree with Burl and many of youse that actually Plainview didn't really HAVE any)... Plainview's humanity, what little shreds of it there may have been, simply emanated from his unfortunate biological disposition, that of a human of course. Despite that, his fierce business sense, ambition and intellect constantly worked either to snuff his compassion or to manipulate it so it serves the business.

Plainview was an ogre, hunched, squint-eyed, one eye partially open, glinting inhumanly, like a machine or perhaps a predator, posture of a vulture (like those vultures from Disney's Snow White, I couldn't shake that image, especially when he was on horseback).

Listening to the soundtrack, it should have been obvious to me before seeing the film that this was going to have the "Kubrick touch," the coldness that keeps us distant, perhaps for our own safety, and yet try as he may have, Anderson can't keep us from reaching into the character as much as possible, trying to get a grasp of Plainview's persona, to glean the most we can from the details. Do we admire the man, do we fear him, do we want to become him?

There Will Be Blood was incredibly funny, there was little doubt in my mind that this was a dark comedy, and it is one of the all-time best. I can't really think what else I would have wanted from this film, I know it can't possibly be perfect, and yet to me it reached so close that as I do to one or two films per year, I give it a 10/10. This is certainly the best 2007 film, in my opinion.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:28 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
tapehead wrote:Get on the fucking train then.

I checked the nearest cinema showing it to me and it was Manchester, 50 miles away and 35 quid return on the train.

It's on at Cineworld in Nottingham. I saw it ( and loved it ) today.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:32 pm

Cool, cheers mate. I'll check itout this week.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby burnhollywood on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:43 pm

Quickie Review:

Ending sucked.

All the same, 4 1/2 outta 5 stars for DDL's can't-take-a-bathroom-break performance and the first 90% of the movie.
burnhollywood
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:35 pm

worked better for me with a 2nd viewing, but I do empathize with that point of view.

Tapes - since Daniel could be thought to represent unfettered capitalism run amok, then Capitalism could be thought to represent the 3rd revelation.

money kills god, made both literal and figurative in the final act...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:07 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:worked better for me with a 2nd viewing, but I do empathize with that point of view.

Tapes - since Daniel could be thought to represent unfettered capitalism run amok, then Capitalism could be thought to represent the 3rd revelation.

money kills god, made both literal and figurative in the final act...

I like that, although especially considering that Plainview was mining for silver when he discovered oil, it might more specifically be the Industrial Corporation (which Plainview can be seen as a kind of John the Baptist figure heralding it's coming) that Anderson has on his mind in this movie.

@ KC - Kudos too for looking at the film again after the initial 'There Will be Blah' review.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:14 pm

tapehead wrote:@ KC - Kudos too for looking at the film again after the initial 'There Will be Blah' review.

well I figured me lady would love it...which she did.

and unlike Pauline Kael, I think re-watching films is essential for film criticism (of course, unlike her, I'm not a critic, but whatevs). Plus I'm so used to being wrong, and my innate wishy-washy, fickle, bong soaked mind needs to see films repeat times to grasp meanings and symbolism I indubitably missed the first time around...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LeFlambeur on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:32 am

tapehead wrote:I like that, although especially considering that Plainview was mining for silver when he discovered oil, it might more specifically be the Industrial Corporation (which Plainview can be seen as a kind of John the Baptist figure heralding it's coming) that Anderson has on his mind in this movie.

I don't know, I don't totally buy it. I mean, yeah there is the whole capitalist angle, but the problem with coporations is that their sole goal is the mindless pursuit of wealth, which is the end in itself. Plainview's motivations are different, he uses wealth to get away from (and occasionally stick it to) all the people he hates. This makes him more vicious than ruthlessly pragmatic. And since Plainview is the central protagonist, the films ability to work as a captialist critique is limited, if that's even its intention.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:10 pm

I mean in terms of his being so ruthlessly ambitious that he eschews any and all familial ties - Once Plainview is gone, his legacy would be a corporation. I'm not arguing that the film is a social critique, what we're talking about here is just an angle on a few of the elements included.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nordling on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:39 pm

2-disc DVD cover art.

Nice.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 pm

I saw the film earlier today. In short...phenomenal, in so many different ways.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I saw the film earlier today. In short...phenomenal, in so many different ways.

Awesome, can't wait to read your thoughts on it!!! (if you choose to write them up, that is)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm not sure I totally understand it on the first viewing but I did find it mesmerising.

Perhaps I need to pay closer attention to the script.

I wasn't sure whether Mr Gas Cannister was just pure evil or a man or principles, by the end of the film.

I had a feeling, a bit of both but it was all well played out. I did feel he was a man of conviction which played at opposites to Tommy Lee Jones character.

The title was well chosen though. Needs a second watch. I'm not intelligent to pick it all up first time round.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:49 pm

papalazeru wrote:I'm not sure I totally understand it on the first viewing but I did find it mesmerising.

Perhaps I need to pay closer attention to the script.

I wasn't sure whether Mr Gas Cannister was just pure evil or a man or principles, by the end of the film.

I had a feeling, a bit of both but it was all well played out. I did feel he was a man of conviction which played at opposites to Tommy Lee Jones character.

The title was well chosen though. Needs a second watch. I'm not intelligent to pick it all up first time round.

Wrong hole, foo'!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:54 pm

Ok. Maybe you need to PM me what I'm missing because it's going to be a while before I watch it again.

papalazeru

Postby Zarles on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm

IWALKEDINTOTHEWRONGTHEATERILASH!

Racist. ;)
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:01 pm

Zarles wrote:IWALKEDINTOTHEWRONGTHEATERILASH!

Racist. ;)

IFZARLESISCALLINGMEARACISTIDIDILASH!

:lol:

papalazeru

Postby buster00 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:09 pm

(*drinks papalazeru's milkshake*)
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:25 pm

buster00 wrote:Image

(*drinks papalazeru's milkshake*)

Hello yeah! Wrong hole.
Apologies

*Tsss of gas cannister followed by knock at door*

Hello?

*Ftumph!*

*no anwser*

papalazeru

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:11 pm

that's an almost excusable faux pas post...lots and lots of blood in NO COUNTRY...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks KCBC but not need to escuse my stupidity.

Life is like a box of chocloates no?

For me anyway.

:lol:

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:11 am

I'm definitely not convinced (at all) that Paul and Eli are twins.

I need to see this movie again - but unless I got hit on the head with a coconut, everything that I saw led me to believe that it was one person with a dual personality. Especially the scenes when Eli is harassing his father, as well as when Plainview is tormenting him in the bowling lane scene. It's a mind f*ck if you ask me. As well when Eli first comes to greet Plainview and HW when they are hunting for quail - he introduces himself, then there is a long uncomfortable pause. Just too many oddities not to ignore, imo. Definitely a crafty mechanism on Anderson's part to put this mystery into the story.

Where the heck does Paul go? Gone. Nowhere to be seen.

Cheesy as it might of appeared, we never did see a frame with both Paul and Eli in it, did we?

BTW, this movie is brilliant. 10/10
Last edited by Maui on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:18 am

I'll agree with the 'everything I saw' contention, but it is mentioned in the dialogue on several occasions.

I've read there was another actor in the role originally who was replaced while the production was already under way - I'd love to know who that was. maybe some 'alternate scenes' will surface at some point.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:21 am

tapehead wrote:I'll agree with the 'everything I saw' contention, but it is mentioned in the dialogue on several occasions.

I've read there was another actor in the role originally who was replaced while the production was already under way - I'd love to know who that was. maybe some 'alternate scenes' will surface at some point.

Yup, I read that too. Dano has very little time to prepare for the part.
Maui
WoWie

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:38 am

Saw this on Friday but it's the first chance I've had to get on here since!

Firstly 10/10! FUCKING LOVED IT! :-)

I'm sure theres lots I'd like to put about it. BUt for now I want to saysomething that, for me, has been missed in a lot of reviews:

DDL was incredible. One of THE great performances. BUT I falet Paul Dano was amazing! I thought he gave DDL a run for his money in some scenes! I liked him in Little Miss Sunshine, but that was a bit of an entry level performance... this was the fucking big time and he nailed it! So, while I may be a lone or peeeps may be wrapped up in DDL wonder land (and rightly so) I want to chuck a big thumbs up to ole Dano

oh, and of course my man, PTA! WHOOP WHOOP! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:02 pm

I just finished this and it was great, but I think No Country For Old Men was defo Best Picture. This movie jumped around a lot, I liked that NCFOM was fluid and handling one event.

That said, Daniel Day Lewis is the most incredible actor I've ever seen on a movie screen.

And there was beautiful direction and cinematography here.

So it was a great movie, 8 or 9 for me, but I don't see how this made No. 1 on so many top ten lists. No Country For Old Men was clearly the superior movie, at least in my eyes.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:03 pm

Saw this yesterday. 10/10 definitely, enjoyed it more then No Country and that was a stellar masterpiece. Probably the better picture overall as, to me, this one started to drag a little about 3/4 through. Nonetheless, the ending made up for it big time. I drink your milkshake! Holy crap, Lewis probably delivered the most amazing performance to date, ever.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Saw this yesterday. 10/10 definitely, enjoyed it more then No Country and that was a stellar masterpiece. Probably the better picture overall as, to me, this one started to drag a little about 3/4 through. Nonetheless, the ending made up for it big time. I drink your milkshake! Holy crap, Lewis probably delivered the most amazing performance to date, ever.

I don't understand how people are giving this a perfect score. What about it was better than No Country? I'm curious to know!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:53 pm

In no way I think it is better then No Country, they are two vastly different films. Country puts more emphasis on an overal theme, reflecting the characters inner-conflicts on our current society. TWBB moves much more like a traditional archplot. It tells one story, of a man consumed by greed. How it eats on him and how he uses everyone to achieve higher goals.

Personally I don't know what I find the 'better' movie, I love them both so much, but I found myself -- at least on a first viewing -- enjoying TWBB a bit more. Probably because it's a more accessible story and the exhilarating performance of Lewis.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Onion AV Article comparing the film to it's source material - spoilers, and pretty interesting.
Last edited by tapehead on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby doglips on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:04 pm

I'm reading Oil! at the moment, so I'm not going to read that till I'm done - Anderson obviously used the book as a starting point and inspiration, it's totally different to the film.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:18 pm

There is no consensus among writers or editors on the use of the serial comma.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby doglips on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:21 pm

Heh, you had to go to Wiki too......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:25 pm

yep.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:24 pm

doglips wrote:I'm reading Oil! at the moment, so I'm not going to read that till I'm done - Anderson obviously used the book as a starting point and inspiration, it's totally different to the film.

Curious about this book as well how it compares to the movie. There may be some resolves in the book, that weren't clear in the film.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:48 pm

doglips wrote:I'm reading Oil! at the moment, so I'm not going to read that till I'm done - Anderson obviously used the book as a starting point and inspiration, it's totally different to the film.

Done with the book? Curious with the Eli/Paul thing, you know.

Watching this movie for the 3rd time, it just gets better with each viewing. Plainview loved HW, no getting around that, in the capacity that he could. If you focus on their relationship in the beginning, when HW is a baby, even when they are travelling to various communities - you can see that it's there.

The train scene when he walks away - he doesn't look back, but you can tell on the train he is upset. I think this is what is so brilliant about DDL, he can emit that emotion, but in such a slight way, you question it sometimes.

The whole baptist scene where he keeps sceaming "I abandoned my son" - it's heartfelt, it's not just screaming for the sake of Eli and the congregation.

Ramble over.
Maui
WoWie

Postby travis-dane on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:57 am

There WILL be BLOOD!!!and a Milkshake....

Everything has been said.......

So I'll give TWBB.....

5 out of 5 Plainview Stars
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:03 am

I can see why DDL's performance was up fro an oscar.

To be honest, I think I need to watch it again to really appreciate it.

I love the last line of the movie,

"I'm finished"

I think the relationship between father and son was less clear then it should have been but that could possibly be because I wasn't paying that much attention to it at the start.

papalazeru

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:47 am

I'm on my third viewing. The first ten minutes or so I felt like I was watching 2001: A Space Odessey.
This is a good thing.

To be honest, I never bought the idea that Eli and Paul were the same person.

Paul Dano did such an amazing job, especially coming in so late in the game but.........

The soundtrack nails it for me. My Wife said it took her out of the movie but to me, it's the icing on the fucking cake.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:18 am

See...I thought the music was a bit Cliché with the Violins bending up and down.

The little jolly Shin dig at the end came a bit of a shock but welcome.

I did like the first 15 minutes of the film there was no talking. A nice interesting montage, up until him and his 'son' were on the train.

papalazeru

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:39 am

The music when the well blew his kid off his feet was crazy. It sounded like some kind of pots and pans symphony. I could see actual discomfort in the audience.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby travis-dane on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:26 am

The music is FUCKING A+!

I think Kubrick smiles up there while watching TWBB....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:03 pm

It's kinda wierd that people keep comparing this to a Kubric movie, especially since the content doesn't actually overlap with any specific Kubric flick. I get where you guys are coming from, in terms of the way the shots are framed and how some of the sequences are put together.

To me, it reminded me a lot of Bridge on the River Kwai, that whole idea of how men work together outside and bond (or don't) by working on a project together. And the way both movies were about slowly revealing characters and transforming them thoughout the movie. Especially the scene when the derrick blows reminded me of the climax of Kwai when they're trying to blow the bridge but Alec Guiness has become so attacted to the project that he's forgotten about the politics.

It definately goes more Citizen Kane-ish right at the end when Plainview is bonkers living in his mansion alone and playing with his rifle.

I saw this movie back in the cinemas in winter, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I picked up the DVD on the weekend but haven't gotten around to viewing it again.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby LeFlambeur on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:12 pm

I don't think There Will Be Blood was any more Kubrickian than his previous film Punch Drunk Love. In fact in terms of disposition, I think the two are very similar; with TWBB serving as a darker companion piece to PDL. I'm suprised the comparison hasn't been brought up more often. Both films display an originality and visual control not seen in PTA's previous films, and a far colder tone that some might describe as Kubrickian (especially in certian compositions and tracking shots). Both films are supposed to be funny I think, and both film's center around the crippled emotional lives of a single character. Despite Day-Lewis's more vivid characterization of Plainview, he isn't really any more explicable than Adam Sandler's modern entrepeneur Barry Egan. The key difference is that Barry discovers humanity, and Plainview discards it. And PDL is beneficient where TWBB is sadisitic, where PDL elates you with its technique, TWBB intimidates you with it. Simply because There Will Be Blood adopts the mould of a historical epic, and loads it with a bunch of ridiculous psuedo-satire sure to appeal to our worst sentimants toward our own country, doesn't make it any deeper than the former film, but it has certainly inspired a bunch of nonsense that PTA has finally attained masterhood, along with a few embarrasing John Ford comparisons. It a descent enough movie, but I still don't think that its the gigantic step foward or great American film, its been touted as -or that it is even superior to Anderson's far more enjoyable previous movies. Maybe a second viewing will magically change my mind.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:35 pm

So I had a conversation with my friend the other day about the whole idea of Eli not aging at the end of the movie.

The conclusion we came to was that, since he's such a man of God and such, PTA wanted to show the effects of being evil and degrading to others on Plainview and the best way to do that was to contrast it with the still-angelic Eli.

Or there's some Dorian Gray action going on we don't know about and Eli is really old and decrepit.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion