Power Ballad Dust-Up Round II! X-Tians don't Cry!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Power Ballad ho down Rd. II!

Guns 'N Roses - "Don't Cry"
40%
Night Ranger - "Sister Christian"
60%

Total votes : 10

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:43 am

I never said that and I don't even remember the song. Stop making fun of me just because I really like Power Ballads.

*mopes*
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Zarles on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:43 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Zarles wrote:Def Leppard - Photograph?

burlivesleftnut wrote:Sorry Zarles, the song was recorded before Rick Allen lost his Arm. Photograph is definitely not a power ballad.

Crap.

EDIT: Don't stop believin', burl.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:58 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Just a ballad, Dennis. John Waite was never known for rocking out. In fact all he he was known for was Missing You... which is a BALLAD.

Why does a power ballad have to be associated with a hard rock band? The Wiki entry's list of power ballads begins with The Raspberries, who were not hard at all. REO was not a hard-rocking band by any means. Waite's '70s band The Babys, while playing plenty of ballads, also rocked. Listen to "Wild Man," "Midnight Rendevous," "Head First" and "If You Could See Me Fly" and say Waite's music wasn't as hard as REO's. Jebus, "If You Could See Me Fly" sounds like The Who!

"Missing You" has a softer sound than The Babys tough material but a harder sound than some of their ballads and harder sound than a typical pop ballad. It's also got a big mix and tortured vocals about love. It's a power ballad. For that matter, by the standards set here (including the loose tempo regulations) The Babys' "Every Time I Think of You" is a power ballad!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:14 am

Ballad.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:43 am

Duck season!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:49 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:wait a minute, Journey's "Don't stop believin'" is way more up tempo than "Come Sail Away". Does that mean that KCBC's whole face-off is a sham??¿ This whole power ballad thing is sounding dodgier by the post.

i only mention that, I don't know...in the first post?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:00 am

Like I can remember that far back. You also put that bit of doubt 3 paragraphs down on your post. My ADD can't possibly hold that far down a post.

There hasn't been one song mentioned in this thread that hasn't been contested whether its a power ballad.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Round II!

this time, due to popular demand, with "snippets" and videos!

the Night Ranger power ballad "classic"* "Sister Christian"

vs.

Guns N' Roses not so classic and frankly baffling decision to go all power ballad-y "Don't Cry".

you can find "snippets" of both songs, and indeed both versions of G N' R's put a magnum in my mouth and pull the trigger till it goes click opus here.**

Videos too!

X-Tian!

Look! Shannon Hoon!

Now, sure, in terms of videos, the pretty, cinematic opus of "Don't Cry" wins handily - even without the brief catfight that sent my teenage hormones a raging, for what it is (bloated commercial), it's not too shabby. And it's kinda fun to see how videos had evolved over the 7 years between the songs. While even seeing that Night Ranger vid kinda makes me want to change my vote, I can't, for the following reasons...

It made no fucking sense in any well ordered universe for Gun N' Roses to even sink to the depths of power ballad-om. If one of the definitions of what makes a PB a PB is true, "the insistence of record company executives who may have coerced their signed hard rock and heavy metal bands to include a powerful ballad on an album based upon the possibility that the power ballad would attract a larger listening audience than the band's typical music. The potentially larger listening audience could then lead increased album sales",*** then why in the holy vagina of Mary would G N' R, who sold roughly a gajillion copies of their debut album that was lacking in all things power ballad ("Sweet Child O'Mine" being the closest, and it's not even all that close), why in Cthulu's good name would they ever descend to such depths?

Since there was certainly no studio pressure on Axl and Co. to record a PB, then...then...Axl actually LIKED power ballads!****

And that's just disturbing on every level of disturbdom.

*classic 'cuz it's over 20years old.

**big ups to the leftnut!

***wiki

****goes to prove that cocaine is indeed a hell of a drug...especially when mixed with heroin. Cocaine fueled APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION - you've got to be strung out of your gourd to go from that level of insane crazy genius to the depths of the still most disappointing double album I've ever heard, USE YOUR ILLUSION.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Ugh... I freaking hate both of these shit-turd songs.

But I REALLY dislike G&N, so Sister Christian it is for me.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:09 pm

so sorry wrote:Ugh... I freaking hate both of these shit-turd songs.

But I REALLY dislike G&N, so Sister Christian it is for me.

oh come on now, "Sister Christian" is fun for drunken sing-a-longs!

at least it has that going for it.

plus, one can enjoy it ironically.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Has anyone outside of America even heard of Sister Christian? - I think, like so many eighties 'hard rock' and 'metal' Night Ranger toured Asia a lot, and that's why I know of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they never made it to the UK.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:31 pm

tapehead wrote:Has anyone outside of America even heard of Sister Christian? - I think, like so many eighties 'hard rock' and 'metal' Night Ranger toured Asia a lot, and that's why I know of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they never made it to the UK.

Listening to it now

God bless you tube.

You'll always lose to INXS.

:wink:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 pm

tapehead wrote:Has anyone outside of America even heard of Sister Christian? - I think, like so many eighties 'hard rock' and 'metal' Night Ranger toured Asia a lot, and that's why I know of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they never made it to the UK.

dunno.

I consider the Power Ballad to be a distinctly American thang...like jazz, but with a lot more suck.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:40 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

dunno.

I consider the Power Ballad to be a distinctly American thang...like jazz, but with a lot more suck.

So Queen is an American thing?

They didn't make power ballads?

Neither did INSX?

papalazeru

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:43 pm

I assume the youtube video is of Don't Cry [Original Version] from Use Your Illusion I and not Don't Cry [Alternate Lyrics] from Use Your Illusion II, right?

Either way, I have to vote Sister Christian...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:I assume the youtube video is of Don't Cry [Original Version] from Use Your Illusion I and not Don't Cry [Alternate Lyrics] from Use Your Illusion II, right?

Either way, I have to vote Sister Christian...

Nope.

Wouldn't midn listening to link to other songs. I'm quite enjoying the one I found.

papalazeru

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:47 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:I assume the youtube video is of Don't Cry [Original Version] from Use Your Illusion I and not Don't Cry [Alternate Lyrics] from Use Your Illusion II, right?

yessir.

and Burl, kindly gent that he is, put up both versions for one's listening pleasure.

did they do a vid for the version on USE YOUR ILLUSION II?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:52 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

yessir.

and Burl, kindly gent that he is, put up both versions for one's listening pleasure.

did they do a vid for the version on USE YOUR ILLUSION II?

I don't think so. Which is a shame, because IMHO, I prefer the alternate lyrics from Illusion II. I missed that Burl had both versions up. Go him!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:53 pm

papalazeru wrote:So Queen is an American thing?

no, jackass, I just don't consider any Queen song to be a power ballad. They did exactly what they wanted, and wrote proper ballads, but not power ballads.

plus, one of them was queer, which allowed them to be campy.
Camp is pretty much the exact opposite of power ballad-om, where sincerity really, really matters.
"We Are the Champions" isn't exactly a love song, is it? So that's out.
Queen is, for this discussion, out.

papalazeru wrote:They didn't make power ballads?

Neither did INSX?

um, INXS started off new wave, and was never a hard rocking metal band, were they?

you, sir, need to go to Power Ballad school!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

dunno.

The distinctly Honky contribution to the musical arts of the 20th C.

Probably the closest relation we had in Australia was the like of the Divinyls, or, perhaps closer to the formula, Uncanny X-Men.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:I don't think so. Which is a shame, because IMHO, I prefer the alternate lyrics from Illusion II. I missed that Burl had both versions up. Go him!

heh, he put that one up first, and it took me a minute to realize that wasn't the version I so despised from my youth...

it was the other version, which I despised even more!

so I asked him to put up the original, he, of course, responded snarkily but eventually complied, and now we get both ear bleeding versions!

we're going to do that from now on, put up links for the songs and, if we can find 'em, the videos too.

if your music collection lacks power ballads, consider this the one-stop thread for filling that glaring musical gap...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:00 pm

I think I just lost a few teeth and want to start playing a blanjo.

papalazeru

Postby DennisMM on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:11 pm

"Don't Cry" is just so over the top, especially the video, that I had to choose Axl's shakiness. "Sister Christian" is so clean and pure that I've always hated it. I also hated that every fifteen year old girl in America adored it and so I heard it ten times a day no matter where I was. Also, I can't make heads or tails of the lyrics of "Sister Christian."
DennisMM

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:24 pm

I go with the Night Ranger!

GnR just hasnt got the goods to deliver against what is a great ballad sing-a-long!

They shouldn't have been making ballads in the first place!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:19 am

DennisMM wrote:"Don't Cry" is just so over the top, especially the video, that I had to choose Axl's shakiness. "Sister Christian" is so clean and pure that I've always hated it. I also hated that every fifteen year old girl in America adored it and so I heard it ten times a day no matter where I was. Also, I can't make heads or tails of the lyrics of "Sister Christian."

Yeah seriously... the lyrics toxian are teh dumb.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Zarles on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:44 am

Yay! Round 2. :D

I went with teh Ranger of Night. Great song to begin with that was only made more classic with a fantastic movie appearance. FTW!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:27 am

This is crazy. Am I going to have to log in as Kirks 20 other alts to get Don't Cry to the top? AM I?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:57 am

I voted "Don't Cry", but mainly because Weird Al did an awesome commentary/parody of it.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Previous

Return to Music