Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby buster00 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:41 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Paul Pope pencils a portion of Lone Ranger #11!

I frakkin love Paul Pope. Might have to pick this issue up.

I hear lots of positive things about that Lone Ranger series. If Dynamite was able to snag Pope to work on it, it must be good.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:49 am

buster00 wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Paul Pope pencils a portion of Lone Ranger #11!

I frakkin love Paul Pope. Might have to pick this issue up.

I hear lots of positive things about that Lone Ranger series. If Dynamite was able to snag Pope to work on it, it must be good.

I know burl is a huge fan.

Plus, Cassaday does the covers. That is some primo-talent right there.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:12 am

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:57 pm

The last time Chaykin did new pages for an AF! (don't forget the exclamation point!) collection the new pages turned out to be mere filler crap. I hope this material is worth the time and money.

However, as I said somewhere (Random?) AF! is one of the best comics EVAR. Get it, people.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:29 am

DennisMM wrote:The last time Chaykin did new pages for an AF! (don't forget the exclamation point!) collection the new pages turned out to be mere filler crap. I hope this material is worth the time and money.

However, as I said somewhere (Random?) AF! is one of the best comics EVAR. Get it, people.

I am REALLY anticipating reading this. Dennis' praise is, in my book, some of the highest praise a book can receive. BRING IT ON! The only question is: do I want to splurge and buy the HC or do I wait for the two TPBs to be release in the winter?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:52 am

Well ... I just looked and I can't find my AF! - Hard Times TP. I may have donated it to a book sale because the extra pages were just filler crap. More disturbingly, I can't find my copies of AF! #1-12. They should be here, but the place is such a shambles even now. If they don't turn up, that hardcover may be in my future.

The pic clicks through to a full-size scan. Low res, I'm afraid, because old four-color comics turn into pop art or total mud at higher resolutions. This page was nothing special. Until he got lazy and eventually stopped drawing the book, Chaykin was filling most issues of AF! with this level of work. The early issues were drawn on duo-tone chemically activated boards, which allowed for carefully placed fine shade effects without cutting and laying down benday.

The hell with finding my comics. If he's really brought the level of facsimile (as he keeps calling it in that Newsarama piece) up to 21st century standards, this is going to be one of the most beautiful archive books ever released.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Siegel Heirs Awarded Action #1 Copyright.

Interesting development, to be sure.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:20 am

Ellis is off of Thunderbolts:

straight from his newsletter Bad Signal -

"So it got out on Friday that I'm leaving THUNDERBOLTS
with issue #121 (I think that Christos Gage guy is taking
over the book). I imagine most of you know why I only
do short stints on company owned work. If you don't,
then there's a short statement here:

CLICK! (OR READ BELOW!)

-- W"

The tenor -- and, frankly, the informedness -- of online comics conversation over the last five years has changed to the point where I probably need to explain once again why I don't stay long on company-owned works.

It's as simple as this -- if I don't own it, I'm not going to spend my life on it. Joe Quesada and Dan Buckley know that, they're fine with that, and they hire me on that understanding. EDITED TO ADD: I am work-for-hire exclusive to Marvel, and I move between projects at Marvel with their agreement. I think a few people forgot that.

Or, if you like: you can only paint someone else's house for so long before you start thinking that it might be nice to own your own house one day.

I'm okay with painting other people's houses for short periods, because I'm good at it and it pays well and on nice days it's fun. But I never ever confuse painting a house for owning that house. And if I spent every waking hour painting other people's houses, I wouldn't be able to build houses of my own.

The more creators who only took on housepainting as a part-time gig, the healthier this medium would be.

For those of you who harbour a wish to write comics, consider this today: you're either on this side of the line, with me and Brian K Vaughan and Garth Ennis and Grant Morrison and Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction... or you're not.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:39 am

Deal with this

GEOFF JOHNS WRITES FINAL CRISIS: LEGION OF 3 WORLDS!

Um...

Can I get an amen?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:55 am

Loving the Ellis blurb about why he does short stints! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:18 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Deal with this

GEOFF JOHNS WRITES FINAL CRISIS: LEGION OF 3 WORLDS!

Um...

Can I get an amen?

I never really read much LoSH stuff, but I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up when the tpb comes out.

I wish I could still afford to buy monthlies...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Wow. Perhaps Johns can make sense of the dirt they've done the LSH. I suspect it will make more sense than whatever Morrison gives us with Final Crisis itself.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Worst news I have heard in a LONG time:

Bru and Fraction Leave Immortal Iron Fist!!!!!!

This just kills me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ironist on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:16 pm

DC released their July solicits
All-New Atom and Catwoman
have been cancelled.
Fuck.
The Ironist
GLIB

Postby DennisMM on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Worst news I have heard in a LONG time:

Bru and Fraction Leave Immortal Iron Fist!!!!!!

This just kills me.

Ellis made brief mention of this in "Bad Signal." He said anyone who expected them to stay was naive, as the money is not in "painting other people's houses," as he puts it. This assumes that one's primary consideration in creating comics is ownership. For some it is, for some it isn't.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31 pm

Oh this is just bad ass. Galaxy Quest returns:

CLIK ME!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Sat May 17, 2008 11:08 am

Time for some reviews of some comics coming next week.

Ultimate X-Men: March on Ultimatum

Okay, I have not been following any of the ultimate U stuff, and this is issue #94, so it is safe to assume I know next to nothing about the series continuity or plot thus far.

That does not matter. Because this single issue kicks thirty-two flavors of ass.

Colossus is Dumbledore? He is a drug addict? He is not going to let anyone stop him from saving his boyfriend? Holy fuck this is awesome. If you are reading this title or not, this issue will blow your mind. unikrunk is no onboard the ultimate x-men boat; let's fuckin' roll.

X-Men: Divided We Stand #2 (of 2)

Waaaaaaaay better then the first one. Very good stuff.

X-Factor #31

Not that great. The story is limp-dick with a shoe-horn, but the pencils and inks are great. This book is the reason you don't date strippers. I will leave the deduction to you, dear reader.

Wolverine Origins #25

So, I dropped this title a few months ago, the story was not going anywhere. I pick up this issue, and it is still treading water. If you like this series, you will like this issue. If not, well, you know.

FF #557

Really? This is what the FF is about? Boring shit-fest.

Ultimate FF #54

Now this, I like. Check it out.

Captain America #38

Even for a funny book, this is contrived crap. Sorry, it just is.

Avengers: The Initiative #13

Pretty okay. More fun then I thought it would be, and the art is great.

Iron Man: Director of Shield #29

Holy fuck, way to make a boring ass book, dudes. Everyone involved here should be dragged out behind the chemical shed. You know what goes down behind the chemical shed? It ain't nice.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 19, 2008 5:43 pm

DC's August Solicits.

This is the planned break for Final Crisis between issues #3 and 4.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Marvel's August Solicits.

Runaways and Spidey Loves Mary Jane re-launching with new #1's?

Interesting.

How out of control does SI look? I mean, how many tie-in's could there possibly be?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Flash Gordon

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 21, 2008 12:00 pm

Flash Gordon returns to comics!
[quote]Ardden Entertainment, jointly owned by Rich Emms (previously EiC at Markosia) and Brendan Deneen, has landed the rights to Flash Gordon. The deal will see Ardden bringing the popular science fiction property to comic books once again with new adventures promised to thrill old and new fans alike.

“Having been through the self-publishing/small press set-up myself, and knowing that we needed something really great to kick start this venture into gear, I looked at trying to land Flash Gordon this time last year,â€
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 21, 2008 11:05 pm

Sounds like they overthought this version. Flash a professor, Dale a spook, Zarkov a (more obvious) nutcase). As the original was underthought in some ways - they just lifted the leads from Buck Rogers and tweaked them a bit - it should balance out. It doesn't, but it should.
DennisMM

Postby yorrick brown on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:23 am

Marvel Confirms The Stand Adaptation
Marvel Comics Post-Apocalyptic Stephen King The Stand
Funny how you may not even be aware how much you’ve been waiting for something until it finally happens. Case in point, Marvel’s recently announced comic translation of Stephen King’s epic end-of-the-world novel, The Stand.

The project was first mentioned during New York Comic Con 2006 (read about it here), and since Marvel has never officially said yes or no if they were doing it, until now. Roberto Aquire-Sacasa (Marvel Knights 4, Fantastic Four) will be writing it, with art handled by Mike Perkins (Captain America). The unexpurgated version of The Stand will be the source material the creators will be working from, with six five-issues miniseries planned to encompass the entire sweeping adventure. Will it be enough? Executive Editor Ralph Macchio (!) hopes so.

â€
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:30 am

Sounds like it could be a cool book, there's a thread for it here if you want to discuss it further, Yorrick!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby yorrick brown on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:34 am

sweet,thanks.
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Darwyn Cooke's PARKER

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:55 am

From Newsarama and Comic Book Resources:

The opening minutes of Comic-Con 2008 saw perhaps the most exciting announcement for fans of crime fiction in months” Darwyn (JLA: The New Frontier) Cooke will adapt the first four “Parker” novels by Richard Stark (Donald Westlake) as a series of graphic novels for publisher IDW. The titles, which have a “mild continuity” as Cooke explained, will be: The Hunter (aka Point Blank), The Man with the Getaway Face, The Outfit, and The Mourner. The first title, according to Cooke, is targeted for a late 2009 release, with the successive three titles coming out in two year-intervals after that.

While comics adaptations of prose fiction can take many forms, Cooke said that the "Parker" series of graphic novels would leave much of Westlake/Stark's source material untouched. "The concept here is to simply edit the existing novel to remove visually descriptive passages and any narrative that can be expressed through pictures," Cooke told CBR. "It is my hope to keep every word of Westlake/Stark's dialogue intact, making minor changes only when the adaptation process demands it.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Comic Book News & Previews

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:53 pm

osnap... sounds awesome.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

The Incredibles by Mark Waid

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:45 pm

From CBR: The Incredibles by Mark Waid:
BOOM! Studios announced Wednesday at Comic Con International in San Diego that Editor-in-Chief Mark Waid will be writing "The Incredibles," the first planned series in line of Pixar licensed comics, as well as "The Muppet Show."

As to further announcements on creative teams for the Pixar books, Waid said that nothing has been finalized as yet. "We do know that Darwyn Cooke is doing the covers to 'The Incredibles,' which we're really excited about."

Waid said that the first "Incredibles" miniseries will focus on the family and team dynamics of the characters. "The first approved story arc is that Mister Incredible is slowly losing his super powers. And he's definitely trying to keep this a secret from the rest of the family," the writer said. "He's given them lecture after lecture about how important each of them really is in the field, and how everybody's a team member, and he's the leader and so forth--so he feels terribly emasculated and terribly out of place, as if suddenly he weren't part of the team."

The writer expressed great admiration for the original "Incredibles" film, as well as the creators responsible for it. "'Incredibles' had charm, and even though it was a comedy by and large, it treated the notion of super heroics, and the notion of what it takes to get out there and put on a suit and fight crime and fight for good, it treated those ideas with respect," Waid said. "Clearly the guys who were involved in 'The Incredibles' loved superheroes and it shows."

Waid hinted that this and other series in the line could feature characters original to the comics. "Disney's been very good about encouraging us to create new villains and new characters," he said. "Nothing can be named yet, but yeah, we're trying to draw from and help them build those universes

Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:08 pm

THIS is brilliant. For those who haven't paid attention, Marvel has slowly been building up their interstellar/cosmic characters over the last few years. It begain with Annihilation which found Marvel's cosmic heroes at war with Annihilus (god don't even know if I am spelling that right). This lead into another slough of minis centered around Annihilation Conquest, which had the intrepid cosmic heroes return to fend the universe from the techno-organic mother fuckers The Phalanx who got all up in the Space Knights' (ROM) asses and started to conquer the universe. This ultimately lead to the current cosmic titles Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy, both written by the same writing team of... some guys from the UK. Danny somehing and something Abnet. Anyway, they manage to be funny, tell interesting stories, and give great characterization. For instances, I says, I didn't know half these cosmic people when I plunged into the first Annihilation, but now I can't live without me some Gamora, Drax or Starlord. These guys just bring them to life!

On the other side of the universe, a Species conspicuously missing from the pages of Annihilation was the Shi'ar, but that was because the old X-Men related aliens were embroiled in some tough cosmic comeuppance of their own. Turns out that Scott and Alex Summers had a secret third bro named Gabriel. This is a guy that was kept secret from them by Prof X. Well Gabriel was born a slave on the Shi'ar homeworld, and eventually found his way to earf to be part of the first wave of mutants to visit Krakoa to save the original X-Men. Yeah you know the second team a little better (Wolverine, Storm, Banshee, etc... look up Uncanny 94 for more information). Gabriel's plight was brought to light in X-Men: Deadly Genesis, which is a damn good read, but the comic ended with Gabriel, who can manipulate energy, giving the X-Men a big fuck you and then flying off-world to punk some Shi'ass.

This lead to the kind of boring year long X-Men storyline The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, which produced two interesting outcomes: Gabriel claimed the throne of the Shi'ar Empire, and after Corsair (Summers' Dad) is killed, Alex Summer (AKA Havoc) takes of the mantle of leader of the Starjammers (think interstellar pirates/do-gooders). Havoc, with one of Marvel's Green-Hair's, Polarus, have dedicated their lives to murdering Gabriel Summers, otherwise known as Vulcan, because... well Vulcan is a dickhead. Nuff said.

Oh-kay taking a breath.

MEANWHILE, we have a little something called a Skrull Invasion, and one of the first casualties was Black Bolt. We still don't know wtf happened to Black Bolt, but apparently he's coming back. Secret Invasion is leading directly into a new Cosmic dogpile called War of Kings, which will finally find the ALL the cosmic character converging in one event. Click on the link for more info, but I couldn't be more excited about this. Dan Abnet and Andy Lanning (the writers of all these cosmic goodies) have really done a masterful job in creating an exciting out world atmosphere to these books that I would compare to Green Lantern Corps, but a thousand times more accessible and less incestuous. One of the cool things about these cosmic titles, is that they have been building on top of each other since the start of Annihilation. I don't think reading every mini is necessary to pick up and enjoy Nova or Guardians of the Galaxy, but your should check them out anyway. They are terrific stories, with terrific art.

Anyhoo, I am excited. Click on the link above to read the CBR interview.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:46 pm

Batman by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert!
A final video was shown, when DiDio said "Before we finish, I wanna talk about 'Batman RIP.' That story comes to a conclusion in November. Following that, we're gonna go through a two part story looking at what Gotham has become, written by Denny O'Neil. My voice is hurting, we're just gonna roll a little video ..."

Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert are on board for the series in January 2009, which got huge applause from the fans and closed the panel.

From Comic Book Resources: CCI LIVE: DC One Weekend Later

A little more from Newsarama: SDCC '08 - DC Nation 2, Neil Gaiman to Write Batman
He then showed a video, saying "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" and "Neil Gaiman, Andy Kubert, January '09."

Not only is "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" a deliberate reference to Alan Moore and Curt Swann's classic "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", the story is also a reunion of the "1602" creative team.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:53 pm

TheButcher wrote:Batman by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert!
A final video was shown, when DiDio said "Before we finish, I wanna talk about 'Batman RIP.' That story comes to a conclusion in November. Following that, we're gonna go through a two part story looking at what Gotham has become, written by Denny O'Neil. My voice is hurting, we're just gonna roll a little video ..."

Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert are on board for the series in January 2009, which got huge applause from the fans and closed the panel.

From Comic Book Resources: CCI LIVE: DC One Weekend Later

A little more from Newsarama: SDCC '08 - DC Nation 2, Neil Gaiman to Write Batman
He then showed a video, saying "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" and "Neil Gaiman, Andy Kubert, January '09."

Not only is "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" a deliberate reference to Alan Moore and Curt Swann's classic "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", the story is also a reunion of the "1602" creative team.

Not to mention Denny O'Neil! Awesome!

DC had a KILLER con.

-Flash: Rebirth was made official!
-Neil Gaiman + Andy Kubert on Batman
-Kevin Smith Batman Mini
-Milestone Characters!
-Archie Superhero Characters!
-Dan Jurgens Writing Booster Gold!

I attended all of the DC panels and I was absolutely blown away by what I saw/heard.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Batman: Battle for the Cowl

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:04 pm

BATBEGONE 1
Right then.

San Diego announced the Neil Gaiman/Andy Kubert two-part Batman story "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader." Now, we know that the original "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow by Alan Moore, Curt Swan, George Perez and Kurt Schaffenberger capped the end of the pre-"Crisis" Superman, telling his final tale, before John Byrne revamped the character with the "Man Of Steel" mini-series. So what can we expect from the Batman after such a career capping tale?

Well this one rumour rocketed from the San Diego convention floor before anyone’s hangover could stop it. Apparently it was all the talk of certain Batman cognesti after a particularly heavy night in the bars on Sunday night with certain DC creators.

I understand that following the events of "Batman RIP," both main Batbooks will be put on hiatus for a short period, replaced by a new title, "Battle Of The Cowl" by Grant Morrison.

We’ll see a struggle for the legacy of the Batman after the events of the "Batman R.I.P" storyline, between the likes of Robin, Jason Todd, Nightwing, Damien and who knows, maybe Azreal and Bat-Mite while they're at it.

So "Nightwing" will be renamed "Red Robin" while "Robin" becomes… "Batman And Robin."

It looks like Nightwing will be the new Batman with Jason Todd becoming Red Robin.

Remember last time I had a Batscoop this strong, about half was bang on the money (Morrison to write a Batman death story, a replacement to takes his role, Alex Ross to design the new character and covers) with about half being off (Bruce Wayne becoming a New God and fighting Darkseid in hand to hand combat).

Let’s see if I have a better strike rate this time.

source: CBR Column: LYING IN THE GUTTERS VOLUME 2 COLUMN 168
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Totally saw that. Should be real interesting stuff. Batman is going to have a big year. I, for one, can't wait!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 am

As long as there are no clones or deals with demons I'm in.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:11 pm

So...where does this leave The Dark Knight Returns, continuity wise?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:So...where does this leave The Dark Knight Returns, continuity wise?

It's still non-canonical and is essentially an Elseworlds story.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:As long as there are no clones or deals with demons I'm in.

I can handle demons and clones. It's freaking late books and fill-ins that piss me off.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 am

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:So...where does this leave The Dark Knight Returns, continuity wise?

Such a weird question. Obviously not a big comic reader, I guess.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:27 am

AICN Comic Con coverage... about COMICS!!!

I'm too out of the loop to really follow these articles, but this one has purty pictures of hotness in costumes... see red-devil-girl and Tank Girl, HELLO!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:39 am

Fried Gold wrote:

It's still non-canonical and is essentially an Elseworlds story.

That's a shame. I always felt it should've been canonical as it wraps things up quite nicely.

burlivesleftnut wrote:Such a weird question. Obviously not a big comic reader, I guess.

Actually I am sir! I just never thought of TDKR as being an Elseworlds story. Blinded I have been by the fanboy within :-P
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:35 am

Does anyone have any further information on Joker, the new story by Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo's 'Joker'

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:36 pm

From Newsarama: Exclusive Image Preview: Dracula Meets the Wolf-Man

From Newsarama: WWC: The Vertigo, Er, Brian Azzarello Panel
Joker: The Dark Knight will be out in October 2008, with art by Lee Bermejo, and will focus on the inner workings of the Joker’s gang and the criminal underground in Gotham City. It is a 128-page hardcover graphic novel.

“There’s no Batman. I didn’t want to muck up the story with that [guy],” Azzarello said. Instead, the series will try to understand why anyone would want to be in the Joker’s gang. It will feature many of the familiar villains from the Batman world, but will run on the premise that these characters would be doing anything possible to avoid Batman’s attention while they worked on their nefarious plans.

It will be written from the point of view of a character in the Joker’s gang. “I think portraying the Joker’s point of view would do a disservice to that character. As soon as you get inside his head he would lose so much power,” Azzarello said.

“He’s not funny but he thinks he’s funny,” Azzarello continued. “He’s that guy, and you know that guy,” Dennis agreed, “Except this guy thinks it’s funny to smash a bottle in your face.”

Azzarello said that he and Lee Bermejo came up with the idea in a bar in San Diego. “We had finished Lex Luthor and were just sick of working with each other, and then we started talking about this. And we weren’t going to do this and then Lee got fired off of Hellboy and he needed work.”

More Bermejo Joker art here: http://samurainoirtoybox2.blogspot.com/2008/01/joker-brian-azzerello.html

2008 PREVIEW: LEE BERMEJO’S
JOKER SKETCHBOOK
The artist teams up with Brian Azzarello for DC’s stunning all-new graphic novel
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/006857028.cfm
By Brian Cunningham

Posted December 26, 2007 9:05 AM

Lee Bermejo wants it known he did not copy the Heath Ledger visual from “The Dark Knight.”

“I actually drew an image for a Batman website in 2005 that pretty much established the look of the Joker as I draw him,” says Bermejo of his forthcoming Joker graphic novel in collaboration with writer Brian Azzarello. “I was about 40 pages into drawing this graphic novel when they released the first image of Ledger.”

“I hate when people say this, because it always sounds like hyperbole, but it’s the best work of Lee’s career,” says Azzarello. “And if only the bastard had kept up the same level, I wouldn’t have had to say that. People are going to be blown away by it.”

Bermejo says the story, told through the eyes of a Joker henchman, “features pretty much every major Batman villain and deals with the relationship between the Joker and all these crazy baddies that run around and do terrible things.”

JOKER
“I tried to figure out what would make the Joker frightening to me if he really existed,” Bermejo says. “One of the points of the story is that the guy’s ugly outside and in, so I just scarred him up. After I established the smile I wanted to reinforce the fact that the guy was probably not attractive even before the Chelsea grin so I gave him bad skin and of course the big, beak nose. The hair, posture and attitude is just a twisted, drugged-out version of Christopher Walken.”

As to how Joker got those scarred lips? “Kids, don’t play with cutting blades…” he jokes. “Actually, I would rather not say what happened. I think any element of the Joker’s backstory should not be touched with a 10-foot pole. The less you know, the better.”

HARLEY QUINN
“Visually, I threw her in a vinyl outfit and made her look as much like a junkie as possible. Harley Quinn is like a stripper to me. I don’t want to know her name, I don’t want to hear about her life, and I sure as hell don’t want her to talk. Just dance, baby…”
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks Butch - sounds like it'll certainly be worth a read.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

SUPERMAN: RED SON

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:41 am

SUPERMAN: RED SON
From Newsarama: SDCC 08: From Paul Levitz's Point of View
NRAMA: I thought that it was odd that Superman: Red Son was listed at the show as an upcoming Motion Comic, although it wasn’t mentioned in the original news about the project. It seems to be an off choice to include in the initial wave, that is, a non-canonical, and even non-iconic Superman story which recasts Superman as a different character...

PL: We’re trying an eclectic mix of things – a bunch of short stories, a bunch of things that are more animation friendly like Mad Love. I don’t have any memory of who had picked Red Son as a possibility, but it was an acclaimed Elseworlds story, and the gang took a look at it, Richard picked it apart, and felt that it would translate well into the medium – so we’re doing it.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Raziel on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:27 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Lucha Libre

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:04 pm

From NEWSARAMA:
Masked Macho Mexican Mayhem - Lucha Libre

Lucha Libre the comic is a humorous take on the pop culture aspect of the sport of Mexican professional wrestling that shares it's name. Often displayed in a humourous light such as in Nacho Libre and the animated cartoon ¡Mucha Lucha!, the comic is a humorous take of normal people like you and me whose lives are permeated by the Lucha Libre culture of masked wrestlers and over-the-top technical moves and motion. The book follows 3 paths – the adventures of the Luchadores Five, Tequila and the Tikitis. You don't have to know who El Santo is.... but it makes it even funnier.

From Mexico to LA and into your local comic store (with a stop in Europe), Lucha Libre is published by Image Comics, with several issues out and the first collection due in stores on November 5th. In addition to collecting the first five issues, Lucha Libre, Vol. 1 will also have behind-the-scenes artwork from writer Jerry Frissen and artists Bill, Fabien M., Gobi and OHM. For more we talked with writer Jerry Frissen and toy-maker Robert Silva, who has a big role in the Lucha Libre success.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Butch - there were some exclusive panels from Joker on MySpace the other day and an interview with Azzarello. Did you catch it? Tried finding linkage but it seems to have vanished!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Butch - there were some exclusive panels from Joker on MySpace the other day and an interview with Azzarello. Did you catch it? Tried finding linkage but it seems to have vanished!

I missed them.
Check out Newsarama's exclusive preview here: Brian Azzarello's 'Joker' OGN
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books