Joss Whedon

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Joss Whedon

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:19 pm

Joss posted this over at Whedonesque and I figured I'd share it with you all. He talks about the futures of almost all of his upcoming projects.... including an OFFICIAL Buffy comic HE'S WRITING HIMSELF!! SUPERSHINY!!

Joss Whedon wrote:Subject: Joss to never learn how to work site! Man is complete Melvin! Mock him!

It's true! I want to post, but I suspect my post will appear as the actual link to my post. And this after having my own password e-mailed to me 17 times. But just so you know, I happen to be a swell cook. And when the internet has a 'smell' function, you'll be able to tell that I... oh God. That's a horrible thought. 'Smell' function? From every computer? I think I just destroyed society as a concept. Anythough, I'm counting on some administrative muckity to turn whatever this comes out as into a real post. From me to you, sweet thang. (That only applies to those of you that are sweet and thangy.) (But the others can read it too.)

So what's up? Not sleep, sleep's not up... But I've been wanting to check in and let you know what's going on with me, Joss Whedon. In fact, there's even a tiny scoop or two in here!

Well, first of all, what a blast I've had with the release of Serenity! $267 million at the box office -- in Des Moines alone! Ten sequels lined up, March declared "National Serenity Awesomeness Month", Nathan made President for Life of Canada AND Greece (his will be a bloody and righteous rule), and Summer's feet to be exhibited at the Tate, when she has time to stand around at the Tate. (She should bring a book.)

So, okay, maybe SOME of my expectations were a hair unrealistic, but I'm so proud of the movie and all my peeps, and we'll drag it into the black (or take it out to the black) soon enough. That's DESPITE the Scrooge-like apathy of people like Mike Alward -- only one theater? Spread the wealth, pal! On the closest I ever get to a serious note, somebody should link his name to the Serenity site, 'cause they've been up in trying to find ways to bring people in and I think Mike really went to the mattresses there -- to be rewarded with a fair amount of snark here.

I know there's been some debate about the DVD art. Just remember it's what's INside that counts, as I used to remind girls in high school constantly. CONSTANTLY - until I realized that I was empty inside. Empty and homely. Man, that's a rough combo. Where was I? O yea, the DVD. I will admit there were a few better quotes they could have used to sell the film, among them:

"A brilliant film with heart, humor, and outstanding action. It should sweep the Oscars." -- Ron Notmadeupperson

"I've never seen a better film. In fact, I've never seen any film." -- President Abraham Lincoln

"I want to take this film and cover it in oil and rub it all over my body" -- Name Withheld (but it was Tim)

"This film has... events..." -- David Denby

"And this isn't my nose, it's a false one!" - A Witch

And now on to the rumors and allegations section. Many of you want to know what the future holds. Anxiety, hurricanes, and Male Pattern Baldness. But maybe also some art-stuff, which is really what you guys are into. No, I don't know anything about sequels, or spinoffs, or Nathan's President for Life gig. I'll keep my ear to the ground of course, but for now I'm just going to rest on my laurels (I have two). Oh! Oh! But I will tell you that Brett and I are talking about another three part comic, and it's gonna be a hoot. Takes place during the show, and has some sweet character deaths -- I mean moments! ("And what brings you to our ship, FutureTara..?") Sorry. Horrible taste. (Empty inside!) But wait'll you see the cover...

Speaking of Darkhorse Comics, they are starting a new Buffy comic, and as I understand it, it will take place after the end of Buffy and Angel and be canon in the Buffy world. And I understand it that way 'cause I'M WRITING IT. I'm kicking off the book with a four issue arc that finds Buffy -- you guessed it -- living in Italy with The Immortal. (Scott -- don't be mad I spoiled the announcement -- saying it means I have to finish it.) Then I'll be overseeing the book more closely, to make sure it remains true. Gonna be interesting. And it just might tie in to...

The infamous Spike movie. Still haven't finalized anything, but I feel that very soon I'll be able to go to James and say something a lot more interesting than "Wouldn't it be cool if..." 'Course, I just hope he's free some time this decade. See how my peeps is all actifying! Tomorrow night is AMIAS, (that's alias with Acker in it.) Happy. And totally jealous.

See, the Buffyverse glows in my brain with a new, overreaching arc that will include the comics, Spike, and more. It's taking shape and soon you will know its name. And you will tremble.

Then of course there's a little thing called X-Men, who are apparantly supposed to become astonishing again real soon. I miss me my Cassiday. Can't wait to see the fan response when I kill Wolverine and replace him with fan-fave Marrow.

Well, I certainly can't say much more, except that Wonder Woman is finally kicking ass that is not my ass, as in, I'm loving this script. She's saving the world in a tiara, people; this is why there's a me!

Oh, and there's nothing on TV tonight. TV has been cancelled. Talk amongst yourselves. La la la la la....

Thanks for keeping the faith, bringing the news (I really do learn stuff here) and carrying the banner (That's for us Newsies fans.) (Yes, I just typed that.) It's been a bewildering few months, but the important thing is, the work continues. There's a lot I'm looking forward to. 'Cause remember:

There was a show. Not that many people saw it in broad terms, but it was beloved. Full of humor, love and pain. And though it was a hard-sell emsemble piece with no huge names it in, it got made into a (roughly) 40 million dollar pic -- and with the cast intact. That doesn't happen a lot, but it should, and it did with this film. That's right. I just cannot wait to see RENT.

Stay crunchy, even in milk...

-joss.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:23 pm

here's why i like whedon. he's hilarious, and it comes off effortless.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:33 pm

I know. He's throwing em out like he doesn't want em.

When Buffy was on, I watched it. I critised it, but I watched it, all of it, from beggining to end. But I've never considered myself a Whedonite, or what ever lil word I'm meant to put there, because I just watched teh shows, and that was that. Now I'm getting an insight into the guys brain, and I'm finding myself thinking... "...maybe he will like me more than the rest of them..."

The guys damn talented. No bones about it.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:39 pm

MasterWhedon... Love the new av... :wink:
Very cool...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:44 pm

Flumm wrote:Now I'm getting an insight into the guys brain, and I'm finding myself thinking... "...maybe he will like me more than the rest of them..."

LOLZORS!! It's funny 'cause it's true...

I've never considered myself a die-hard fan of anything, in the sense that I never lose reason or control of bodily functions because of my love for Star Wars or the Buffyverse or Serenity/Firefly, etc. But I am a huge, geek-like fan of all those things and more.

I deeply, deeply adore the stuff Joss has done, and I find it incredibly rewarding when a guy can create a show that touches you so deeply, then turn around and seem like he could be your best friend, just so funny and casual and natural.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:44 pm

Flumm wrote: Now I'm getting an insight into the guys brain, and I'm finding myself thinking... "...maybe he will like me more than the rest of them..."

hahahahah!

god, it's so true.

we're such LOSERS.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:45 pm

Thanks, Athena. I'm trying to prepare for the 11 11 11 11 11 11 11, or whatever the hell it is.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:48 pm

I've got this debate in my head, whether I should actually go and buy the huge Buffy Boxset, but the answer to my debate is almost inevitable. I can feel it in the back of my head, slowy rising through the murky depths to the surface, waiting to pounce and render my wallet incapable of resistance.

Yeah Whedon, like the new AV.

:wink:

Mine is feeling bigger and clunkier with every day that passes.
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:49 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Thanks, Athena. I'm trying to prepare for the 11 11 11 11 11 11 11, or whatever the hell it is.

Oh yeah.. What else you got up yer sleeve... Fireworks? I love fireworks... Is it fireworks???
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby bluebottle on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:50 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I deeply, deeply adore the stuff Joss has done, and I find it incredibly rewarding when a guy can create a show that touches you so deeply, then turn around and seem like he could be your best friend, just so funny and casual and natural.

Well, we've discussed it before, but he has this uncanny ability to write the "thrown together family" really well, and he makes you feel like you're a part of that family.

and i agree, reading his personal stuff makes you like him more because you always feel like he doesn't take himself too seriously and he's just having a good time and appreciates that you're even paying attention.

of course, i'm sure what appears "effortless" is in fact very difficult for him. in my humble experience, stuff that looks effortless usually takes the most effort.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:06 pm

Flummage, I already broke down and bought the set. Let your credit card weep with mine. You know you wanna...

Athena, if by "fireworks" you mean "raging optic beams that can incinerate steel", then yes, I've got those.

And Blue, I feel like you're a part of my "thrown together family." Y'know, the small Canadian we keep under the stairs.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:07 pm

hahaha!!!!

(feed me)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:10 pm

Bluebottle wrote:here's why i like whedon. he's hilarious, and it comes off effortless.

One could a say a the same a thing about a you too, eh paisan?

Dino <3 Blue
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:36 pm

See, the Buffyverse glows in my brain with a new, overreaching arc that will include the comics, Spike, and more. It's taking shape and soon you will know its name. And you will tremble.

I just urinated a little. I really like the buffyverse, this is great news.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:48 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I've never considered myself a die-hard fan of anything, in the sense that I never lose reason or control of bodily functions because of my love for...

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I just urinated a little.

Oh, Moo...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:49 pm

Well, at least I'm not wearing any pants...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:51 pm

That's, umm... comforting...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:25 pm

I want wonder woman! I don't care about any more buffy stuff, sadly, but I do want to see Wonder Woman.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:27 pm

Burl, I believe this is more up your alley: http://members.fortunecity.com/muscular1/solos.htm

EDIT: WHAT. THE. FUCK? My pictures won't stay... Had to resort to links...
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:28 pm

Flumm wrote:I've got this debate in my head, whether I should actually go and buy the huge Buffy Boxset, but the answer to my debate is almost inevitable. I can feel it in the back of my head, slowy rising through the murky depths to the surface, waiting to pounce and render my wallet incapable of resistance.

Yeah Whedon, like the new AV.

:wink:

Mine is feeling bigger and clunkier with every day that passes.

DO IT Flumm, DO IT.
Then turn round go right back in the shop and buy the Angel Boxset too. It's even better.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:32 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Burl, I believe this is more up your alley:

EDIT: WHAT. THE. FUCK? My pictures won't stay...

worst hero ever
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:35 pm

Seriously though, I can't wait either...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:23 pm

Who is that, Wonder Man?

lol.

Seriously, a name?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:41 pm

Wonder Man, aka Simon somthing...was an Avenger and Avenger: West Coast. Had a relationship with the Scarlett Witch, when she wasn't screwing the robot.

That's all I remember.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby bluebottle on Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:12 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:here's why i like whedon. he's hilarious, and it comes off effortless.

One could a say a the same a thing about a you too, eh paisan?

Dino <3 Blue

awwe! i <3 dino.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:46 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Wonder Man, aka Simon somthing...was an Avenger and Avenger: West Coast. Had a relationship with the Scarlett Witch, when she wasn't screwing the robot.

That's all I remember.

Oh yeah. Did he die trying to save her and she went back to the robot (Vision, right?) anyway?

LOL. That's the stuff songs are made of.

"I died for my lady so she can screw an android."

I smell country music CHART TOPPER!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:04 am

Speaking of Joss, he made a cameo tonight on Veronica Mars as the manager of a rental car counter, who apparently is "a nazi who couldn't find his ass with a mirror and a miner's hat".

Always good to see Joss, even for a brief cameo. I know he loves VM, which means everyone who likes Joss should start watching it immediately, as I have.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:31 am

Yeah, he wrote the DVD review for Veronica Mars in Entertainment Weekly. Gave it an A and pretty much hyped the cream filling out of Rob Thomas (or gave him a tongue lashing, if that's what you want to call it). It was interesting to see Joss tone down his wacky writing style for a column.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Joss Whedon

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Nothing like bumping an 8 year old thread...

Really a pretty cool feature on life as a member of the Whedonverse. It's a little sugary, but is essentially just Joss and some of his "go-to" actors in their own words. If you're into Joss and his gang of actors it's definitely worth a read:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/what-its-like-to-live-in-the-whedonverse
Lord Voldemoo

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:25 pm

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/joss-whedon-wants-more-female-superheroes-who-would-you-pick/#/10

Joss Whedon says we need more female superheroes. I'm glad I finally found someone out there who's with me on this subject. I'd love to see more superheroines on the big screen and not for the usual reason of male fantasy/gratification/titilation. I genuinely want to see a film where these characters get to shine. We've had some in background roles, and they suffer the usual problems such as poor writing, bad costuming, or horrible miscasting that shorted out the good intentions and left us wondering what happened.

The usual excuses, not to mention the ones Whedon cites, are always trumped in the following 3 course meal of stupidity:

Supergirl bombed
Elektra sucked
Catwoman sucked

True on all counts, but that's not a substantial enough basis to refute any further attempts to make superheroine films. You can name any 2-5 films of any certain genre that are terrible and that never stopped Hollywood from making more of them. Should we have not had Star Wars because Zardoz, Dark Star, and Plan 9 From Outer Space were terrible? Or, to be more modern, shouldn't the godawful Captain America(1990) movie and The Return Of The Incredible Hulk have permanently derailed The Avengers?

Let's hope Hollywood can get its act together, see that there's free money lying around to be made if done right, and get these characters some real screen time.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:42 pm

One of the biggest and simplest explanations for why there are less female superheroes on film is because, well, there are less female superheroes. It's the law of averages. Percentage-wise there are probably very few that aren't token characters (but don't quote me on that).

But all the other reasons stated are valid as well. It's funny how people use phony explanations to justify a decision when something isn't marketable (example: "Catwoman sucked"; Catwoman is not every character any more than Steel is).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:16 am

Joss Whedon: Exclusive Saturn Awards Interview
VIDEO: Joss Whedon describes his feelings about the defunct Wonder Woman movie and says Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are “a huge part” of Avengers 2.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:15 am

Joss Whedon Trashed the Original Avengers Script
"You don't have anything," Whedon told Feige, of the script that X-Men screenwriter Zak Penn had written. "You need to pretend this draft never happened."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Joss Whedon's Batman

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Joss Whedon ‘Desperately’ Wanted to Make a ‘Batman’ Movie
‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ director Joss Whedon reminisces about his love of Batman and wanting to make a Caped Crusader movie for DC.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Director Discussion