Forgetting Sarah Marshall

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:30 am

Forgetting Sarah Marshall Trailer...

New Apatow and etc. Comedy...









































ETA: Kristin Bell in a Bikini...
User avatar
havocSchultz
is full of stars...
 
Posts: 15695
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am
Location: living amongst a hazy nothing...

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:12 pm

havocSchultz wrote:Forgetting Sarah Marshall Trailer...

New Apatow and etc. Comedy...




At the risk of sounding like a negative-nelly.... that looks super-alf. Talk about retreading old plots. DUH-NO-SHIT-SPOILER ALERT: sarah marshall decides she wants to be with our protagonist after all, but he has finally gotten over her, thanks to super hot mila kirshni-whateverhernameis. END HMM-SEEN IT-BEFORE-SPOILER
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15784
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:19 pm

so sorry wrote:


At the risk of sounding like a negative-nelly.... that looks super-alf. Talk about retreading old plots. DUH-NO-SHIT-SPOILER ALERT: sarah marshall decides she wants to be with our protagonist after all, but he has finally gotten over her, thanks to super hot mila kirshni-whateverhernameis. END HMM-SEEN IT-BEFORE-SPOILER


Image

You're probably right on that count, my friend. I'm a little easier on formulaic stuff (most of the time) as long as it's well-told, but I'm still not sure what to make of this one.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13995
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:32 pm

Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:


At the risk of sounding like a negative-nelly.... that looks super-alf. Talk about retreading old plots. DUH-NO-SHIT-SPOILER ALERT: sarah marshall decides she wants to be with our protagonist after all, but he has finally gotten over her, thanks to super hot mila kirshni-whateverhernameis. END HMM-SEEN IT-BEFORE-SPOILER


Image

You're probably right on that count, my friend. I'm a little easier on formulaic stuff (most of the time) as long as it's well-told, but I'm still not sure what to make of this one.


I'm not usually bothered by the formulaic stuff either. Maybe its the actor (who ironically plays "Marshall" on How I Met Your Mother)... this seems to be an extension of his TV persona. Maybe I've very recently seen this "formula". And maybe I've seen the formula done so much better (yes, I haven't seen this yet, so I don't know, it might be better).
Or maybe I have a black heart.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15784
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:31 pm

SPOILER!

from the New York Times interview with Jason Siegel...

[quote]THERE’S no way to talk about Jason Segel’s performance in “Forgetting Sarah Marshallâ€
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:36 pm

wow. now there's a selling point to get asses in the theater.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15784
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Hilarious music video from Sarah Marshall's rocker boyfriend here.
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:54 pm

so sorry wrote:wow. now there's a selling point to get asses in the theater.


female asses.

I normally can't stand ubiquitous marketing campaigns, but I gotta admit, the "I'm so over you Sarah Marshall" adverts that I've see festooning taxi cabs, buses and train platforms have done their job. I've been asked by lots of my less film savvy film friends (and less savvy friends in general) about what the hell the advert was advertising.

I think this has a good chance of cleaning up at the B.O. this weekend, at any rate.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Vegeta on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:56 pm

I'll probably see it, and I am you're average (less-savvy) gomer.
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Vegeta wrote:I'll probably see it, and I am you're average (less-savvy) gomer.


I may as well, just 'cuz I can pick up some cred with the special lady when I want to go see something foreign and arty.

and for, Veronica.

Image
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:08 pm

Veronica you dubious stoner you!
Image

Ill be seeing this over the weekend.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:10 pm

it's like she's a Talking Heads song!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Veronica you dubious stoner you!
Image

Ill be seeing this over the weekend.



You have to tell me where that pic is from! :lol:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:06 am

She looks like Eugene Levy with a blonde wig.


In that pic of course.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:11 am

RogueScribner wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Veronica you dubious stoner you!

Image

Ill be seeing this over the weekend.


You have to tell me where that pic is from! :lol:


THIS will explain everything (sort of)
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13995
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby buster00 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:57 am

Image

I'm already completely sick of the squiggly, jiggly animated font that they're using in the title card on the trailers.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Image

They're clearly trying to set up a comparison, using nothing more than the movie's logo.

It's if to say, "If you loved Hip Comedy A, you'll love Hip Comedy B!"

I kept seeing the "Ren & Stimpy" font plastered all over the '90s, and I'm witnessing the same phenomenon today.
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:05 am

buster00 wrote:Image


Ugh. I have to say, even though I'm a Juno fan, anytime I see movies for sale at Starbucks next to the packaged biscuits and indie-rock compilations...I become less of a fan.

/threadjack
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Postby buster00 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:09 am

But you've noticed the wiggly, jittery, "drawn-by-a-junior-high-student" lettering in both trailers, right?

I'm not crazy, goddammit! It's there! I've seen it!

Please validate me!

Or at least my parking!
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:29 am

No I feel you, buster. I think you see it a lot in posters for comedies (40-Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up, Juno/Little Miss Sunshine/Superbad) because I think whoever designs them are trying to promise you the same "feeling" of going to the movie and having a good time, assuming that you did in the first place.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13995
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:49 am

And now Mike Leigh is using it for Happy-Go-Lucky.

Image

Damn you for pointing this out ;)
User avatar
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:47 am
Location: nodnoL

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:03 am

It's better than bold red lettering of the type you see with say, Dr Doolittle 8 or something. But yes, it's called having no original bones in the marketers body.

This film has Russell Brand in. The collective population of Britain want him dead, myself being one of them, for being an utter gentleman. And yet he still manages to get his hideous "comedy" persona all over the fucking shop.

His shows are consistently cancelled yet he keeps cropping up because someone, somewhere finds him funny. I've never wished for someone to actually die on stage, but there's a first time for everything...
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 am

Ribbons wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Veronica you dubious stoner you!

Image

Ill be seeing this over the weekend.


You have to tell me where that pic is from! :lol:


THIS will explain everything (sort of)


OR THIS! She's in leather!
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:57 am

Yeah it's from Reefer Madness, which was pretty funny but nowhere near as great as I had hoped.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:46 am

[quote="Keepcoolbutcare"]SPOILER!

from the New York Times interview with Jason Siegel...

[quote]THERE’S no way to talk about Jason Segel’s performance in “Forgetting Sarah Marshallâ€
Last edited by havocSchultz on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
havocSchultz
is full of stars...
 
Posts: 15695
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am
Location: living amongst a hazy nothing...

Postby papalazeru on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:55 am

Ok ok. I saw the 'Kirsten Bell in a bikini' line and I thought, why not give this a go.

To my suprise, I think I actually like the look of this film.

I hope the best jokes aren't wasted in the trailer, as so often happens.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm getting all sorts of Heatbreak Kid-remake and Modern Romance-for-the-new-millennium vibes off the ads. You could not drag me to this except to satisfy the burning desire of a woman with whom I am infatuated. Since there's no one like that - at least close enough to travel for a movie - I won't be seeing it.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:22 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:This film has Russell Brand in. The collective population of Britain want him dead, myself being one of them, for being an utter gentleman. And yet he still manages to get his hideous "comedy" persona all over the fucking shop.

His shows are consistently cancelled yet he keeps cropping up because someone, somewhere finds him funny. I've never wished for someone to actually die on stage, but there's a first time for everything...


I don't have any familiarity with him outside of this. But come on! That's fucking funny. He has that dopey, self-righteous douche-bag rocker thing down PAT.
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:34 pm

He looks and sounds like someone who would have got to the semifinals of Rock Star: INXS.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 pm

I'll say up front that I'm not a big comedy genre fan, and I don't feel I have a handle on this Apatow character, he's usually listed as a producer and I'm not sure how involved that makes him in any of the many movies his name seems to end up on. I liked 40 Year Old Virgin and Superbad, but wouldn't watch them again. I didn't really like Knocked Up and I haven't seen any other Apatow flicks or television programs to my knowledge.

I just watched the trailer and this one definately looks really lame. Maybe the one thing all these Apatow branded comedies have in common is that they're all about the great victory of a manchild who bumbles around in immature hijinks and ends up with some perfect looking one dimensional female character. And I guess that's just not something I don't feel like seeing as often as it's produced. These movies need either start writing stronger female characters or stop being about romance. Same goes for Kevin Smith.

I'll exclude 40 Year Old Virgin from that, because I thought Keener's character was well developed and pretty realistic in terms of portraying the type of batty lady who is available at that age. But most comedies just write horrible female characters.

Count me out for Sarah Marshal.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Postby JustinG on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:20 pm

the ads are everywhere. how much did they spend on this?
JustinG
GLIB
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:04 pm

havocSchultz wrote:But is 3 minutes of it really that much...?


Leading scientists say yes.

take that, tantra!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I'll say up front that I'm not a big comedy genre fan, and I don't feel I have a handle on this Apatow character, he's usually listed as a producer and I'm not sure how involved that makes him in any of the many movies his name seems to end up on. I liked 40 Year Old Virgin and Superbad, but wouldn't watch them again. I didn't really like Knocked Up and I haven't seen any other Apatow flicks or television programs to my knowledge.

I just watched the trailer and this one definately looks really lame. Maybe the one thing all these Apatow branded comedies have in common is that they're all about the great victory of a manchild who bumbles around in immature hijinks and ends up with some perfect looking one dimensional female character. And I guess that's just not something I feel like seeing as often as it's produced. These movies need either start writing stronger female characters or stop being about romance. Same goes for Kevin Smith.

I'll exclude 40 Year Old Virgin from that, because I thought Keener's character was well developed and pretty realistic in terms of portraying the type of batty lady who is available at that age. But most comedies just write horrible female characters.

Count me out for Sarah Marshal.


Count me out for Brand alone.

I'm the opposite to you, I really love 40yo virgin, and have seen it many times. These kind of comedies really get under my skin - Knocked Up really, really chimed with me as well. I'd disagree his female characters aren't strong, they're the catalysts for change in the males and in the latter she's dealing with a hell of a lot.

I do agree it would be nice for more to be made of them in the film, so that they share the focus, however. Certainly neither of the girls in either of those films are one-dimensional - I doubt any of my female friends would look upon it so highly.

Comedy in the cinema is currently treading a real high probably not seen since Woody Allen's golden days. It's nice to see some intelligence in these films too.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:07 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Count me out for Brand alone.

I'm the opposite to you, I really love 40yo virgin, and have seen it many times. These kind of comedies really get under my skin - Knocked Up really, really chimed with me as well. I'd disagree his female characters aren't strong, they're the catalysts for change in the males and in the latter she's dealing with a hell of a lot.

I do agree it would be nice for more to be made of them in the film, so that they share the focus, however. Certainly neither of the girls in either of those films are one-dimensional - I doubt any of my female friends would look upon it so highly.

Comedy in the cinema is currently treading a real high probably not seen since Woody Allen's golden days. It's nice to see some intelligence in these films too.


I guess I'll agree with you on Woody Allen, I really like his films. And I think we kinda agree that the female characters in most comedy movies are just there as catalysts for the male characters. And I think female audiences don't mind that the female characters are so flat because they like the overall movie and like laughing at the male characters act like dumbasses.

Like I said, comedy isn't my favorite genre. I liked more comedy movies ten years ago when there was stuff like Rushmore and Big Lebowski coming out, these days we get a lot of these manchild romantic comedy movies and there's only so much of those I can take.

It's not that they're inaccurate, because I actually know lots of guys in the late twenties through thirties in bad physical shape with immature obsessions and no life direction who find reasonably attractive successful women to love them. I guess since fewer women these days want to have children they date adult men who they can mother as well as shag and get the best of both worlds. I just don't feel like watching a movie about this as often as they seem to produce them.
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:It's not that they're inaccurate, because I actually know lots of guys in the late twenties through thirties in bad physical shape with immature obsessions and no life direction who find reasonably attractive successful women to love them.


my ears are burning...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby papalazeru on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:39 pm

If you're getting bombarded with ads all the time, I can understand why you're pissed off with it.

It looks like a weak, light hearted comedy and something which I could have a simple good time to.

If I wam bombarded day in day out, I wouldn't watch it either.

Eh Atomic? How's your campaign going for No More Heroes?

;)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Well, you're not playin' it it's your loss. I'll sit here and have candy thrown in my eyes whilst I pretend to masturbate with a lightsaber. You watch the ad for this piece of schmoe as long as you want. ;)
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:But is 3 minutes of it really that much...?


Leading scientists say yes.

take that, tantra!


The enlightened know it's all about pacing yourself.


GITTES
they screw for a while.
-- and then they stop and they
read a little Confucius and they
screw some more and they stop and
they smoke some opium and then
they go back and screw some more
and they stop again and they
contemplate the moon or something
and it makes it more exciting.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:59 pm

forget Sarah Marshall, it's CHINATOWN...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:07 pm

You win the interwebs for that sentence.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:07 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:This film has Russell Brand in. The collective population of Britain want him dead, myself being one of them, for being an utter gentleman. And yet he still manages to get his hideous "comedy" persona all over the fucking shop.

His shows are consistently cancelled yet he keeps cropping up because someone, somewhere finds him funny. I've never wished for someone to actually die on stage, but there's a first time for everything...


I don't have any familiarity with him outside of this. But come on! That's fucking funny. He has that dopey, self-righteous douche-bag rocker thing down PAT.


Didn't notice this, but you'd have a hard time finding any english peeps here or anywhere that isn't a chav or humour deficient that actually likes the gentleman. I'm totally serious. He's about as infectious as Zane Low.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Vegeta on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Caught this yesterday afternoon. Fairly funny, rom-com with your typical Apatow style language and gross-outs. I will say this, if I were to get dumped by Kristen Bell then fall into Mila Kunis's arms (or visa-versa) there would be no complaints. Both women are absolutely stunningly beautiful in this film. Yow-za! I am not going to go into great detail about the film... everyone knows the story line, and the jokes are your typical Apatow stuff (about 3/4 hit their mark). Segal's character is pretty fucking pathetic and somewhat annoying (especially in the first half) and there is some acting on his part (and a couple of scenes) I didn't quite buy. The Brit gentleman is this film is pretty hysterical and the Apatow alum are all pretty good. I will say I like both Kunis and Bell in this film, yet Segal was somewhat meh... especially seeing his schwanz about 27 times (e-gads it was snicker worthy once or twice).

Vegeta gives Forgetting Sarah Marshall 3 out of 5 punches.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby Conroy420 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:39 pm

The least funny of the recent Apatow flicks (havn't seen WalkHard) but still really solid for one time watch.

It doesn't have the replay value of Superbad, Knocked Up or $0 Year Old Virgin, but I laughing pretty hard at times.

The character of Aldos Snow was pretty great, got fairly substantial laughs.

Surprisingly, the lead, Jason Segel, had the weakest performance. The supporting cast, like Bell and Kunis, were just superior than him and it showed.

O yah, and Bill Hader is the fucking man.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:06 pm

Postby Vegeta on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Good, I am not the only one who thought Segal was weak. Not horrible or anything, just not good.
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:03 pm

I saw it today and had a really good time. The story wasn't deep or anything (I think 40YOV and KU tried for a little substance with the wackiness whereas this film didn't), but it was consistently entertaining, especially once they get to Hawaii. I'm going to echo Veg's comment about Bell and Kunis looking stunning in this film. Albus Snow was hilarious and while Jason Segel was definitely the weak link, I don't think he detracted from the happenings any. He had some choice moments, though again to echo Veg, I didn't need to see the dude's schlong 27 times! Oy. Even my gf said, "Enough already!" ha ha

I give it a solid 7/10 If you liked Apatow's other offerings, you'll enjoy this.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:32 pm

I enjoyed it a lot (although maybe just because I saw it with an audience). I liked how there weren't really any good guys or bad guys in the movie and despite the fact that a lot of the humor is over-the-top, it felt organic. Although like Knocked Up there's an extremely rapid epiphany/montage that maybe was a little underdeveloped. Some great cameo performances, especially Paul Rudd, whose line delivery always cracks me up.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13995
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:01 am

I caught it this afternoon (my sister is a ginormous Russell Brand fan) and thought it was pretty damn funny. I think there's an extra edge watching this film as a chick -- it's so refreshing to see a romantic comedy with a man in a puddle of his own tears rather than a girl.

The ticket was worth it just for the Dracula song -- not so much the musical as his impromptu performance in the bar. And Paul Rudd, who is always my favorite in any Apatow venture. I thought my sister was going to expire at his musings on the redhead.

I couldn't get Brocktune's old complaint about Kristen Bell's eyes out of my head the entire time though...I started fixating on them. Darn you, Brock! I was also semi-distracted with the truth that if Brand ever touched me, I'd have to burn off all my skin.

Anyway, I thought it was a good laugh -- at least a 6/10, a decent way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:13 am

What's Brocktune's complaint about Bell's eyes?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 am

RogueScribner wrote:What's Brocktune's complaint about Bell's eyes?


He kept claiming she was crosseyed. I think it was Brock in the old Fanboys thread anyway -- it was someone!
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:25 am

Ah. I don't think I ever noticed that. I'm always too distracted by her gummy smile. :-P
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:57 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:I caught it this afternoon (my sister is a ginormous Russell Brand fan)


Oh FUCK. It's spreading. Maybe he's gone airborne.

There must be some way we can contain it...
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Next

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron