IRON MAN (SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Iron Man?

22%
35%
28%
7%
1%
4%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for TV/DVD
1%
TOO IRONY!
No votes

Total votes : 68

Postby max314 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:59 pm

JpPrewitt789 wrote:http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/

Sitting at a comfortable 83% over at RT. Only 6 reviews as of this post though. 5/6 still ain't too shabby.

Hm...even the more positive ones worry me slightly.

Gosh, I so want this movie to kick ass. But the writing talent (or lack thereof) that is working on this movie gives me some cause for concern. I have a feeling that Downey Jr. will provide a cool, quirky performance that will sit well with Summer audiences. But I don't think the narrative will be all too hot.

Let's have a look at those reviews you so kindly linked us to on RT:

"In place is a talented cast, an interesting director, an established lead character, and a wealth of plots from the comics ready to be mined for future storylines. Despite Iron Man's problems, it will definitely leave you wanting more."
-- Orlando Parfitt, 'IGN Movies UK'

What this tells me is that Iron Man as a movie doesn't work perfectly. In fact, there are some glaring flaws. What it says is that this Iron Man movie is more of a promise of what's to come in future Iron Man movies instead of standing on its own two feet as a solid piece of entertainment.

In other words, the movie has potential for the series, even if the movie itself doesn't live up to its potential.

"Handsome and Charismatic, Robert Downey Jr. renders a dominant performance, treating the comicstrip character as a dramatic actor, which compensates for the movie's flaws and elevates it above the standard of a slickly produced popcorn summer fare..."
-- Emanuel Levy

This is what I call the "Equilibrium Syndrome".

A fairly average movie saved only by a top class leading man.

"It’s not sure where to go once the final Iron Man suit is constructed, and seems in a rush to get there, but Downey Jr and the supporting cast are so perfectly placed we're already looking forward to the bound-to-be-better sequel."
-- Dan Jolin, 'Empire'

Sounds like the last half of the film is somewhat lacking in direction.

Assuming, of course, the Mark III is created by the half way point. Which I suspect it will be if it's following the movie structure used by other superhero movies like Spider-Man and Batman Begins.

"Light on both CGI and moral quandaries, [it posesses] neither the zip and sparkle of a Spider-Man nor the brooding existential subtexts of Batman Begins."
-- David Jenkins, 'Time Out'

I think that translates roughly to "it lacks both style and substance, and never seems to find its own identity to distinguish it from existing superhero movies".

These were all things I was concerned about before the film's release, and it seems that some of my fears are being realised.

Nonetheless, I suspect it will be worth the price of the popcorn, which is all I realistically expected in the first place.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby papalazeru on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:05 pm

That's some nice first postings there Max.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DennisMM on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:08 pm

Light on CGI? Someone page Dino for riotous laughter, please.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby max314 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:37 pm

papalazeru wrote:That's some nice first postings there Max.

That's very kind of you to say so :)
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:46 am

Very interesting analysis Max. Most of the reviews acknowledges that the movie has flaws, but I think it swill still do very well at the box office and since I've seen about 65% of the movie through one bonus clip or another, I'll probably still enjoy it.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby max314 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:49 am

Yeah JP, I suspect it will be a fun film worth the price of admission. But I always felt that the pre-release hype was a bit strange since all I really saw was a fairly generic-looking superhero film.

Hey, as long as Downey makes me laugh, that's all I'm after :D
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:49 am

max314 wrote:
JpPrewitt789 wrote:http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/

Sitting at a comfortable 83% over at RT. Only 6 reviews as of this post though. 5/6 still ain't too shabby.

Hm...even the more positive ones worry me slightly.

Gosh, I so want this movie to kick ass. But the writing talent (or lack thereof) that is working on this movie gives me some cause for concern. I have a feeling that Downey Jr. will provide a cool, quirky performance that will sit well with Summer audiences. But I don't think the narrative will be all too hot.

Let's have a look at those reviews you so kindly linked us to on RT:

"In place is a talented cast, an interesting director, an established lead character, and a wealth of plots from the comics ready to be mined for future storylines. Despite Iron Man's problems, it will definitely leave you wanting more."
-- Orlando Parfitt, 'IGN Movies UK'

What this tells me is that Iron Man as a movie doesn't work perfectly. In fact, there are some glaring flaws. What it says is that this Iron Man movie is more of a promise of what's to come in future Iron Man movies instead of standing on its own two feet as a solid piece of entertainment.

In other words, the movie has potential for the series, even if the movie itself doesn't live up to its potential.

"Handsome and Charismatic, Robert Downey Jr. renders a dominant performance, treating the comicstrip character as a dramatic actor, which compensates for the movie's flaws and elevates it above the standard of a slickly produced popcorn summer fare..."
-- Emanuel Levy

This is what I call the "Equilibrium Syndrome".

A fairly average movie saved only by a top class leading man.

"It’s not sure where to go once the final Iron Man suit is constructed, and seems in a rush to get there, but Downey Jr and the supporting cast are so perfectly placed we're already looking forward to the bound-to-be-better sequel."
-- Dan Jolin, 'Empire'

Sounds like the last half of the film is somewhat lacking in direction.

Assuming, of course, the Mark III is created by the half way point. Which I suspect it will be if it's following the movie structure used by other superhero movies like Spider-Man and Batman Begins.

"Light on both CGI and moral quandaries, [it posesses] neither the zip and sparkle of a Spider-Man nor the brooding existential subtexts of Batman Begins."
-- David Jenkins, 'Time Out'

I think that translates roughly to "it lacks both style and substance, and never seems to find its own identity to distinguish it from existing superhero movies".

These were all things I was concerned about before the film's release, and it seems that some of my fears are being realised.

Nonetheless, I suspect it will be worth the price of the popcorn, which is all I realistically expected in the first place.

lets break down your analysis of the reviews at Rottentomatoes......

first one; you say that if a reviewer claims a movie "leaves you wanting more" that must mean the movie is incomplete and can't stand on its own as a film. you gotta be kidding me, right? if people like something, they want more of it. it is why we have sequels. for instance, movies like "Fellowship of the Ring" may leave the audience wanting more, but for all the right reasons and that does not mean they aren't excellent stand alone films as well. i mean, come on, you don't hear people saying, "you know, that film didn't feel complete to me, it was a miss. I sure would like to see another one like that"

second review. the review used the term "slickly produced popcorn summer fare", which you then converted to "average" in your assessment, and that simply doesn't add up. what the reviewer is saying is that the movie is not only well-made visually and technically, which is what most movies of this genre shoot for, but that Downey's performance gives it some added depth. so, not only will audiences get a well-made comic/action film, they get one with some acting meat as well.

the reviewer who said it was "light on CGI" must have been comparing it to Attack of the Clones.......

oh yeah, i almost forgot, welcome to the Zone

:wink: :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby max314 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:31 am

Peven wrote:lets break down your analysis of the reviews at Rottentomatoes......

first one; you say that if a reviewer claims a movie "leaves you wanting more" that must mean the movie is incomplete and can't stand on its own as a film. you gotta be kidding me, right? if people like something, they want more of it. it is why we have sequels. for instance, movies like "Fellowship of the Ring" may leave the audience wanting more, but for all the right reasons and that does not mean they aren't excellent stand alone films as well. i mean, come on, you don't hear people saying, "you know, that film didn't feel complete to me, it was a miss. I sure would like to see another one like that"

Yes, it's entirely possible that the film itself was very good on its own accord.

But the reviewer doesn't say that the quality of the film itself was a reason to want more. Rather, it was "a talented cast, an interesting director, an established lead character, and a wealth of plots from the comics ready to be mined for future storylines".

In other words, the ingredients are there for good future films (cast, possible storylines, etc), even though Iron Man itself has definite "problems".

That's what I took from it.

second review. the review used the term "slickly produced popcorn summer fare", which you then converted to "average" in your assessment, and that simply doesn't add up. what the reviewer is saying is that the movie is not only well-made visually and technically, which is what most movies of this genre shoot for, but that Downey's performance gives it some added depth. so, not only will audiences get a well-made comic/action film, they get one with some acting meat as well.

The review simply stated that Downey's performance "compensates for the movie's flaws and elevates it above the standard of a slickly produced popcorn summer fare". Meaning that Downey's performance is the only thing that keeps it from becoming another one of those "all flash, no substance" (i.e. "slickly produced") type Summer movies.

Which means that the script is distinctly average at best.

That was my interpretation of it.

the reviewer who said it was "light on CGI" must have been comparing it to Attack of the Clones.......

Haha...no doubt :lol:

oh yeah, i almost forgot, welcome to the Zone

:wink: :D

Ah, thank you kind sir :)
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:57 am

from comingsoon.net

"ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! just got back from the New York junket for Marvel Studios and Paramount's Iron Man, and while we certainly don't want to spoil anyone's funny if they've been dying to see the movie and be surprised, there's a nice little tip of the hat to Terrence Howard's James "Rhodey" Rhodes own armored incarnation. When we spoke to Howard earlier, we had to ask him what his thoughts were for his character's development in potential sequels, and always being the intelligent and consummate actors' actor, Howard shared his abundant thoughts on where he thinks things should go.

The real question on everyone's mind after seeing the movie is when we'll see Rhodey don the armor. "When Rhodey continues in his emotional evolution," Howard said quizzically. "He has to be willing to take off his suit as a lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force first, and that is a hard thing to let go of. Tony has already let go of his billionaire suit that he wore, the money-hoarding individual, and you gotta get naked to get into that suit, and Rhodey has to get naked first." (I guess that answers a question that's always been on Jerry Seinfeld's mind.)

"Tony is still pulling Rhodey up," he continued. "'You don't see it as clearly as I see it now, but here, take a look.' 'Cause Rhodey's killed a thousand people with his planes, dropped bombs, and bears no responsibility for it, but when that comes to face him, which hopefully they will do once Rhodey puts on that helmet that Tony has that's been geared towards his patterns and picks up on some of those things that Tony's responsibility and what he's done. The computer in that helmet records the brain waves, and begins to jar Rhodey and the changes begin to happen in him. He'll be a little more human."

Howard doesn't want to rush his character's transformation though. "The question is whether we will take the time to put on the Iron Man suit first and then have to fight with Iron Man to take it off me and then ultimately build a new suit for Rhodey or whether they go right into the second one of them building the suit. I would prefer to wait for the third one. I'd prefer to let it grow a little bit and then after the third one, they could go into its own franchise of War Machine later on. I don't want to introduce War Machine too early for my own monetary benefits."

Howard didn't want to be around to watch Robert Downey Jr. go through everything that was involved with turning into Iron Man i.e. putting on the suit, etc. but he has some ideas how he could make his own transition easier. "Give me a couple drinks and I'll sit there and y'all can make the suit for me, but I think what I would have them do for me is just make a full body cast of me and have that as a mannequin and make it to fit this mannequin. I don't think Robert demanded that yet... but Robert isn't as smart as me sometimes." (The last bit was said with that glint in Howard's eyes when he's making a joke.)

Earlier, director Jon Favreau said that he was pretty sure a potential sequel would introduce War Machine and Iron Man's arch-nemesis The Mandarin (also hinted in the movie). "I think you gotta go with War Machine, you gotta give Terrence more to do," Favreau told us. "He really had to be patient in this one, and he really could have been Tony Stark if we wanted to go against the grain of what was in the books. He characterizes that, and once you break him out of the role that he was relegated to in this one, I think he could go toe-to-toe with Robert, and it could be a cool buddy set-up. Then you need some bad guys, and I think the bad guys are going to be tech-based for the most part, seeing what's worked about this film."

Make sure to go see Iron Man when it opens on Friday, May 2 to make sure that sequel happens. (Or if you can't wait that long and need to be the first person on your block to see the movie, it has previews in some areas on Thursday at 8pm.) Look for a lot more with Favreau and the cast of the summer's first big movie right here on ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! in the next couple days!"

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby max314 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:59 am

Sequel sounds promising! :D
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:56 am

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:58 am

I just read their reviews earlier, sounds like its one of the best super hero films so far. 8-)

WTG FAVS & CO!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 am

And in the Dark Knight TB Herc says Iron Man was better than Batman Begins... er, skepticism levels rising...

Still, I'm jazzed about this, hopefully I'll be able to see it TOMORROW and come back online for a review. I promise I won't lie this time...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby travis-dane on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 am

HOLY MOTHER OF A FUCK!
Glad I took a vacation.....
GTA4 and IRON-MAN!!!!!!!
Even my girlfriend wants to see IM!
Thats the power of Robert Downey Jr.!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:05 am

I have to say I thought Batman Begins was better than all the previous films.

I really like the fact Iron Man is a super hero that could maybe exist in our world too. Thats one of those aspects I was talking about that gives the movie a special quality.

I just hope its the kind of movie we can watch years from now and still enjoy it alot.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Beyond the RAVES for RDJ and co on the acting, and Favs directing, the highest praise (among really high praise) in my eyes is the following from Mori's review:

Moriarty wrote:ILM’s work here, combined with Stan Winston’s work, is just as seamless as when they teamed up for JURASSIC PARK in 1993. There are many sequences where I’m not exactly sure what is what. Could be practical. Could be CGI. Beats me, and frankly, I don’t care. By the end of the film, I believed in IRON MAN. I believed that he could exist in our world. And that he would make it better if he did.

I LOVE that. As someone who has railed against Spider Man again and again for what I feel are just some really bad effects (in all 3 films, not just Spidey 3), I was hoping and praying that this would look REAL. Iron Man, more than any other character, perhaps, must look and "feel' TANGIBLE. That Gumby-looking Spidey shit isn't going to work here. He's wearing a metal suit, and while the Mark III is of lighter weight it still must have substance or the audience will immediately be lost (or at least I will be).

It sounds like they got the CGI right. With the other pieces in place i CAN'T fucking WAIT to see this.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:01 pm

I wish Lecko were around to drop a review.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby papalazeru on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm so going to see this this movie this weekend.

I don't think a review in the world could stop me.
Mind you, I was well up for FF2, until I read the early stuff on AICN.....and they were right.

papalazeru

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:27 pm

I haven't been in a theater for nearly a year. I will be seeing Iron Man Saturday.

At RT it's at 93 percent with 30 reviews now.
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:32 pm

By looks of this I'm betting Tony is the new Capt. Jack.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu May 01, 2008 4:09 pm

IRON MAN HAS CHOSEN BURGER KING, AND THIS IS WHY (SPOILER-FREE)

I went to the Burger King after the film and got a neat little punching-action Iron Man figure.

The movie itself is solid solid solid. That said, the marketing was way overdone, they were really worried about this film making money obviously... they shouldn't have been so worried though. It kicks ass. We've seen this sort of film before, true, and Robert Downey Jr.'s performance, while excellent, is by no means of "Jack Sparrow" calibre. We've also seen most of his performance from the trailers (I've only seen the two trailers, prolly a couple of times each, but they give away the entire film).

But yeah, although I can't fault the movie for very much, it lost a bit of steam due to the over-exposing marketing as well as the timing of it... we've seen loads of superhero characters brought to life already, and a couple of series have even been closed off by now, so Iron Man's origin story, while really well-done, doesn't bring *that much* to the table if we're gonna get really picky.

Still it's an awesome joy to watch in the theater... where it's somewhat hampered by being *too* classic, it's by the same token empowered. The film stands on solid ground, from the story to the pacing... the action, the romance, a well-balanced and seamless blend of classical story elements.

The effects are also seamless. Remember how the tagline for Donner's Superman was something like "You will believe a man can fly"? Well after Iron Man I believe we can have a flying man in a robot suit. It's like watching Robocop get his hands on the Rocketeer jet pack.

So really all you're getting from the film is having the trailers played out in longer sequences, some nice character work and humor interspersed within the plot, but you know what? It works in this case. The experience is more than worth it.

There are two things I wanna add though, regarding what I expected and potential sequels (which there'd better fuckin' be!!):

1. *KINDA SPOILER, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE FILM* I thought Tony would've been crippled at the end fight, especially since he seemed to get pounded pretty badly by "Iron Monger." That could've made a great lead to a sequel that'd deal with alcoholism as a consequence of his disability and also all the talk of "accountability" in the film would've ended on a bittersweet note... that Tony finally "pays" for what his weapons have been doing to people.

2. I walked out of the film thinking that it is an awesome prelude to a series of remarkable superhero films... what's great with the character of Iron Man is that he retains his flaws even as a hero, and at the end you can only wonder where he will go next and what obstacles he will face. Unlike mega-super-powered heroes you're not limited to thinking that some villain will come along that'll match him for power. It's a suit... a dude with a big gun could take him on. Something can malfunction. Maybe he's caught without it. Even though it is a fantasy setting, there's something non-fantastical about it, and that is one of the key elements that gets you invested in the character.

Awesome.

8/10 (very good - excellent)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Great review, Pacino. I can't wait to see it!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu May 01, 2008 5:00 pm

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Thu May 01, 2008 5:08 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Great review, Pacino. I can't wait to see it!

I second that emotion!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Thu May 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Thank you, pacino! Tony being just a guy with a fancy machine has often been used to dramatic purposes in the comics. In the movies, at least now, he's got a big problem - it takes half an hour to put on the suit!
DennisMM

Postby Zarles on Thu May 01, 2008 6:38 pm

Pacino wrote:8/10 (very good - excellent)

Wow! On the Pacino-to-everyone-else translation scale, that's like a 47. Can't wait!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 01, 2008 6:42 pm

I don't trust anyone I don't know.

Pacino, I'm going to see this film thanks to you.

papalazeru

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 01, 2008 6:46 pm

Zarles wrote:
Pacino wrote:8/10 (very good - excellent)

Wow! On the Pacino-to-everyone-else translation scale, that's like a 47. Can't wait!

hahaha, no kidding.

Pacino: i've read a couple of reviews (including by my local Seattle Times reviewer) saying that while they really liked it, it suffered somewhat for "origin-itis", that is to say that the pacing at the beginning is a little too slow, maybe clunky....basically it takes a while to get going.

Personally I don't mind some fricking character development...especially when it's my favorite character that they are developing...but I'd be interested in your perspective on this? Did you nearly fall asleep or anything? Must not have based on the 8/10.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu May 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Heheh, yeah don't get too excited by my score guys, I'm not THAT cranky am I? :)

About "origin-itis," the pacing was really fine... Downey Jr.'s charm as well as the dynamic with some of the supporting characters keep the set up from being dull. In fact that was to me the most interesting part...

Again, somewhat spoilery territory, can read this bit after you've seen the film: I would've liked a bigger payoff at the end of the film, especially in terms of Tony Stark's evolution... however, there's still something at the end that's a pretty big surprise. Still, the trailers gave so much away that it was a bit difficult to appreciate the "villain" in the story. If I had to pick at something in the film it'd be that the main villain didn't really feel that villainous after all.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Zarles on Thu May 01, 2008 7:22 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Heheh, yeah don't get too excited by my score guys, I'm not THAT cranky am I? :)

Yes.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Heheh, yeah don't get too excited by my score guys, I'm not THAT cranky am I? :)

About "origin-itis," the pacing was really fine... Downey Jr.'s charm as well as the dynamic with some of the supporting characters keep the set up from being dull. In fact that was to me the most interesting part...

Again, somewhat spoilery territory, can read this bit after you've seen the film: I would've liked a bigger payoff at the end of the film, especially in terms of Tony Stark's evolution... however, there's still something at the end that's a pretty big surprise. Still, the trailers gave so much away that it was a bit difficult to appreciate the "villain" in the story. If I had to pick at something in the film it'd be that the main villain didn't really feel that villainous after all.

Yes you are!

i'm not reading the spoilery bits until later, but thanks! That makes me feel better.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Thu May 01, 2008 11:15 pm

Just so you guys know, RT is promoting Iron Man as "the best reviewed movie of the year", and as of now, the best reviewed Superhero movie ever, sitting pretty with a 95%. The former champ, Spidey 2, has a 93%.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby bamf on Fri May 02, 2008 2:20 am

Oh the satifaction that came after the credits end. I wasn't completely satisfied then....ahhhh... This will be a fun one to write about.

Here is a shot of the Suit from The Arclight

bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 02, 2008 3:14 am

My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri May 02, 2008 6:13 am

HA, I should've stuck around after the credits!! Thanks for the link RS!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby dimnix on Fri May 02, 2008 7:42 am

this. movie. fucking. rocks.

Shaping up to be a good year, fellas.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Fri May 02, 2008 8:33 am

They're already setting up for Iron Man 2 (obviously)...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/01/iron-man-2-in-2010/

I was always more of a DC guy (mainly because of Batman), but you have to hand it to them, Marvel's got their shit together.

And that bit with Fury was awesome RS.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby DennisMM on Fri May 02, 2008 11:36 am

You should always stick around until the credits are finished, even if you just sit in your seat and let your eyes unfocus while they run. These days you never know what might happen.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri May 02, 2008 1:25 pm

I caught a screening of this last night and fucking loved damn near everything about it.

SPOILERS

I don't feel I need to say anything more about the casting than has already been said. All the pieces are exactly right and the characters all feel more rounded and three-dimensional than other movies of the type. Robert Downey, Jr. most definitely is Tony Stark, and his success here proves the gutsiest casting moves are often no-brainers.

I've never gotten bored of origin stories, as they're often the best story a given superhero has. And here, with Tony's, they've gotten everything right. The updates and modifications all work, and I bought into every piece of his development. I know the relationship with Obadiah and Obadiah's "turn"/reveal will be a sticking point for some, but it worked for me. Jeff Bridges is the right kind of charming maniac who can go either way, and I think he makes the character as believable brining Tony pizza as he does kicking ass in the Monger suit.

Speaking of which, the first beat in the Iron Man/Iron Monger battle where Tony slams into Obadiah, takes him through a wall, through another wall, out into the street, through a semi-truck, crashing into the street while a car flips off Obadiah's arm--well, superhero movies don't get better than that, and not nearly enough of them push for that kind of scope.

Otherwise, I'd say some of the action elements weren't staged as well as they could have been. They are effective, and I really like how Favreau plays things out in wide shots so we can see what the hell is going on, but part of me wished for a little more flair. I also thought that for a guy who's championed practical effects so much, Favreau relied an awful lot on a CG Iron Man--sometimes during sequences when I don't know if he needed to. The CG Iron Man looked great though and felt very much a part of the space he was in, so it's easy to forgive. These are two minor quibbles though, things I chalk up to personal preference.

The prominent set-up of SHIELD was my most unexpected delight. I'd heard about the Nick Fury cameo and I figured they'd have to do something along these lines to start building the world for the Avengers, but the way they worked it all in felt natural and clever, and I loved it.

When Superman Returns came out, I gave it a 9/10 because I was so hopped-up after seeing Superman return. Upon repeat viewings, that movie is more a 7/10 to me. Well, Iron Man is a very solid 9/10, and I think it will only improve upon repeat viewings now that all of my expectations are out of the way.

This is one hell of a start to the summer.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby travis-dane on Fri May 02, 2008 1:49 pm

RogueScribner wrote:YouTube link of Nick Fury in Iron Man

Get it while it's hot!

I love it when the "geeks" clap and scream:"OH YES!".....

Jackson looks like SHAFT(with an Eyepatch)! Come on guys......
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 02, 2008 2:58 pm

travis-dane wrote:Jackson looks like SHAFT(with an Eyepatch)! Come on guys......

or, like, um, Nick Fury in the Ultimate Universe?

'cuz, you know, they based Nick Fury in the Ultimate Universe on SLJ.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri May 02, 2008 3:04 pm

In The Ultimates and since then, anyway. No one remembers the original Ultimate Fury.

DennisMM

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri May 02, 2008 4:48 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Speaking of which, the first beat in the Iron Man/Iron Monger battle where Tony slams into Obadiah, takes him through a wall, through another wall, out into the street, through a semi-truck, crashing into the street while a car flips off Obadiah's arm--well, superhero movies don't get better than that, and not nearly enough of them push for that kind of scope.

Otherwise, I'd say some of the action elements weren't staged as well as they could have been. They are effective, and I really like how Favreau plays things out in wide shots so we can see what the hell is going on, but part of me wished for a little more flair.

See I liked the scope of the battles and everything and felt that they were directed with a nice sense of care to show the true scale of everything going on. You dont see this enough in modern action films and I was happy to see it done correctly here. The Host is the best recent example of what I want from an action scene and while this is no where near that good it still managed to give a proper context to the goings on and I'd rather that than some ADD cut shot stuff.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri May 02, 2008 5:09 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Speaking of which, the first beat in the Iron Man/Iron Monger battle where Tony slams into Obadiah, takes him through a wall, through another wall, out into the street, through a semi-truck, crashing into the street while a car flips off Obadiah's arm--well, superhero movies don't get better than that, and not nearly enough of them push for that kind of scope.

Otherwise, I'd say some of the action elements weren't staged as well as they could have been. They are effective, and I really like how Favreau plays things out in wide shots so we can see what the hell is going on, but part of me wished for a little more flair.

See I liked the scope of the battles and everything and felt that they were directed with a nice sense of care to show the true scale of everything going on. You dont see this enough in modern action films and I was happy to see it done correctly here. The Host is the best recent example of what I want from an action scene and while this is no where near that good it still managed to give a proper context to the goings on and I'd rather that than some ADD cut shot stuff.

Right, and I don't mean to imply that I was hoping Michael Bay had shot the last act or anything. I really do think Favreau did a nice job, but some of the basic staging of the final sequence felt good--not great--to me. I don't know how to further explain it, which is why I think it's just personal preference.

And again, I think this is a minor quibble on my part when the rest of the movie works so damn well.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri May 02, 2008 5:26 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Right, and I don't mean to imply that I was hoping Michael Bay had shot the last act or anything. I really do think Favreau did a nice job, but some of the basic staging of the final sequence felt good--not great--to me. I don't know how to further explain it, which is why I think it's just personal preference.

And again, I think this is a minor quibble on my part when the rest of the movie works so damn well.

Yeah I can see that. I suppose I went in expecting Michael Bay and when I got something good it surprised me. As you said it was by no means great but I was satisfied with what was given.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri May 02, 2008 5:30 pm

I loved this film, especially the last 30 seconds after the credits.

RDJ is swarmy, witty, and oozing charisma. That's Tony Stark. Rhodes looking at the Mark II and saying "Nah, not this time" put a smile on my face.

Agreed about the comments regarding the action. Felt a little claustrophobic at first with the Mark I suit. I guess Favs was trying to mimic the tightness of the caves with the confines of the suit to get the viewer to feel tucked into the scene. Or maybe not.

Anyway, loved it, loved it, loved it. 9/10.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri May 02, 2008 5:33 pm

RogueScribner wrote:YouTube link of Nick Fury in Iron Man

Get it while it's hot!

I loved the code name for the film.

lol

Thanks for this. I saw it in the theaters and had the same reaction as the folks in the video.

Sue me.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby travis-dane on Fri May 02, 2008 7:03 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
travis-dane wrote:Jackson looks like SHAFT(with an Eyepatch)! Come on guys......

or, like, um, Nick Fury in the Ultimate Universe?

'cuz, you know, they based Nick Fury in the Ultimate Universe on SLJ.

OH!they based a comic book character on Shaft.....

Sorry guys,it looked lame to me.
It was a letdown for me to see Fury this way.....
I did not know,or care how Fury looked in one of MARVEL's gazillion "Reimagining/New Begining/Alternate Universe/Fourth Dimension/Reboot" thingy........

The "Jackson=cool dude" thing is getting really old....
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri May 02, 2008 8:13 pm

travis-dane wrote:The "Jackson=cool dude" thing is getting really old....

I'm with you on this Travis. It's the same thing over and over.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri May 02, 2008 9:15 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
travis-dane wrote:The "Jackson=cool dude" thing is getting really old....

I'm with you on this Travis. It's the same thing over and over.

See, I agree with that sentiment, but I still think Jackson's cameo works because of his persona, because of his place in the zeitgeist. It means something that it's Samuel L. Jackson in Tony's apartment instead of just some dude. In that brief moment Joe Public takes away a whole lot more about who Nick Fury is than "oh, it's that one guy" or "who?"

That aside, I think Jackson makes a really credible Fury.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion