IRON MAN (SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Iron Man?

22%
35%
28%
7%
1%
4%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for TV/DVD
1%
TOO IRONY!
No votes

Total votes : 68

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri May 02, 2008 9:15 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
travis-dane wrote:The "Jackson=cool dude" thing is getting really old....

I'm with you on this Travis. It's the same thing over and over.

But he has this wallet!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri May 02, 2008 9:30 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
travis-dane wrote:The "Jackson=cool dude" thing is getting really old....

I'm with you on this Travis. It's the same thing over and over.

But he has this wallet!!

Shut yo mouth!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 02, 2008 11:16 pm

Iron Man was barely a blip on my radar a year ago. I had cursory knowledge of the character so when Robert Downey, Jr. was cast I pleased. But outside of some Avengers and Civil War stuff, I wasn't really familiar with the character or the world he inhabitted.

So I went into this movie like most folks will, I guess: with out any preconceptions about what I'm going to see, just hoping for a good time. I will say that the commercials and trailers for this film spoil pretty much every cool thing about the movie. So while I did enjoy myself, I wasn't ever surprised by anything that happened.

That being said, this is a good movie and I think anyone who has enjoyed the likes of X-Men, Spider-man, or Batman Begins will have fun with this movie. The entire film is an origin story and that suits me just fine. I like Tony Stark. I don't know if I'd like him in person, but as a character who experiences one helluva growth spurt (but never loses his sensibilities) he is very compelling. I loved how matter of fact his last line was at the end press conference. That was probably my favorite moment in the whole film. :)

RDJ was great and he is surrounded by a competent cast. Really, this is his show and everyone else is just trying to raise themselves to his level. I liked the humor and drama and most of the action was fun to watch. The end fight . . . eh, it was okay, I suppose, but I wish there was more to it. Really, the last act seemed a little tacked on just to have an excuse for Iron Man to punch someone. The movie definitely dropped a notch or two because it didn't stick the landing, but there was enough cool gymnastics before it that I didn't mind so much.

I look forward to a sequel and hope that Iron Man finds himself facing an adversary worthy of his attention.

8/10
Last edited by RogueScribner on Fri May 02, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 pm

Realize too that this could have been a film starring Nicholas Cage as Tony Stark, perhaps directed by Nick Cassavetes.

Josh Whedon would have rocked by Favs did good. VERY GOOD.
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby DennisMM on Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 pm

While I enjoy having SLJ in the role, he seems awfully flat in his 15 seconds. I know Nick is level headed and cool, but show a little emotion, Sam! He's mocking Tony anyway. A mocking tone would have been nice.

AVENGER (singular) Initiative?
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri May 02, 2008 11:28 pm

DennisMM wrote:While I enjoy having SLJ in the role, he seems awfully flat in his 15 seconds. I know Nick is level headed and cool, but show a little emotion, Sam! He's mocking Tony anyway. A mocking tone would have been nice.

The Avenger Initiative is just a title.

Originally, I think Cap is the one who started the "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE" battle cry and the rest is history.

Anyone care to confirm that?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Zarles on Fri May 02, 2008 11:35 pm

Tomorrow night for me, and I'm stoked as fizzuck to hear that the Nick Fury/SLJ scene got used at least somewhere in it. I'll be back in roughly 24 hours.

'TONYYYYY!!!? WHERE IS MY SUPER SUIT!?'
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 03, 2008 2:12 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
DennisMM wrote:While I enjoy having SLJ in the role, he seems awfully flat in his 15 seconds. I know Nick is level headed and cool, but show a little emotion, Sam! He's mocking Tony anyway. A mocking tone would have been nice.

Originally, I think Cap is the one who started the "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE" battle cry and the rest is history.

I'm just thinking that as they're playing to geeks with SLJ in the first place they might have used the comic book title. Avengers come in New, Mighty even Avengers: The Initiative. It seemed odd, is all.
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat May 03, 2008 3:10 am

MasterWhedon wrote:See, I agree with that sentiment, but I still think Jackson's cameo works because of his persona, because of his place in the zeitgeist. It means something that it's Samuel L. Jackson in Tony's apartment instead of just some dude. In that brief moment Joe Public takes away a whole lot more about who Nick Fury is than "oh, it's that one guy" or "who?"

That aside, I think Jackson makes a really credible Fury.

whatevs to that zeitgeist action there ZombieWhedonSolutions...

it sets up a fucking Avengers movie.

and that's why people cheered.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 03, 2008 4:12 am

DennisMM wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

I'm just thinking that as they're playing to geeks with SLJ in the first place they might have used the comic book title. Avengers come in New, Mighty even Avengers: The Initiative. It seemed odd, is all.

The Avenger Initiative seems to imply the name of the recruitment program, not the name of the team itself, no?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ironic name on Sat May 03, 2008 4:41 am

that ironman sum bitch is great!
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 03, 2008 4:45 am

Yes, I understand that, pacino. It just seems wrong to avoid the use of the team name when they are talking about building the team. I'm just being wonky about it.

Why are they called The Avengers, anyway? They weren't avenging anything.
DennisMM

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 03, 2008 4:58 am

Maybe they will be environmentalists in the movie and will avenge the raping of mother nature? :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Flumm on Sat May 03, 2008 5:17 am

The fall of the bowler hat, campy, imperialist do-gooding and deadly karatechops delivered with a lusty irreverence and sardonically-coutured panache?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 03, 2008 8:00 am

Flumm wrote:The fall of the bowler hat, campy, imperialist do-gooding and deadly karatechops delivered with a lusty irreverence and sardonically-coutured panache?

THAT Avengers movie already came out... maybe this is the long-awaited sequel!?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Vegeta on Sat May 03, 2008 9:43 am

I am totally stoked! Will be catching Iron Man in a couple of hours... yeah!!!!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat May 03, 2008 10:49 am

I saw this last night. I went to a 21+ screening in Sherman Oaks where they allow you to drink alcoholic beverages. So what I remember was really good. :(

I will have to see it again so I know how it ends. I don't remember anything after he went back to Afganistan. But I do remember wishing that bearish Afgani would imprison me!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

IRON MAN (SPOILERS!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 03, 2008 11:38 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I saw this last night. I went to a 21+ screening in Sherman Oaks where they allow you to drink alcoholic beverages. So what I remember was really good. :(

I will have to see it again so I know how it ends. I don't remember anything after he went back to Afganistan. But I do remember wishing that bearish Afgani would imprison me!

ARCLIGHT?

Probably one of the best theaters in SOCAL to watch a movie.......

As for me..

SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck me what a movie!

Its been said before already on this thread.. Casting is perfect.

But I think that the real applause gose to Fav's for taking something risky like IRON MAN, and knocking it out of the park, past the freeway, and through the window of hot young couple in the middle of doing the nasty!!!

I always loved Fav's movies.. The man was a bomb ready to go off, and with iron man, the trigger has been pressed!

I await anthing this man puts out!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Zarles on Sat May 03, 2008 11:50 am

Who would've thought that Favreau would've been the one to do this movie? I love Swingers, too, but come on - who saw him doing anything but quirky indie movies just like it?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

IRON MAN (SPOILERS!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 03, 2008 11:52 am

Zarles wrote:Who would've thought that Favreau would've been the one to do this movie? I love Swingers, too, but come on - who saw him doing anything but quirky indie movies just like it?

I agree to an extent. I always thought that Favureau would be like Wes Anderson,
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby buster00 on Sat May 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Iron Man is wicked awesome! 10/10! Among the very bestest of all superhero films!

And, for the record, it's already raked in $38 million!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Sat May 03, 2008 1:18 pm

Saw this last night. Loved it. RDJ seems like he was born for the part and I hope he'll stick around to do a few of them. Hell, I even liked Gwyneth Paltrow which I think may be a personal first. Red hair suits her.

I thought Favreau did an excellent job, especially with the action stuff. I'd been kind of dreading a Transformers style clanging balls of random metal type affair for the final showdown, but the action was very clearly framed and edited. The motorcycle smack was a particular favourite for me.

As soon as the credits finished rolling, and SJ had done his cameo, I was ready to sit right down and watch part two. Everybody concerned has set the bar very high for themselves and also for the rest of this summer's event movies.

Speaking of the post credit scene, don't audiences know by now to stay after the credits with these event films? There was only about six people left from a sold out theatre to catch the Nick Fury cameo. Fools!!!!
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 03, 2008 1:48 pm

Yeah, there were a couple hundred people in my theater when I saw it and all but about a half dozen of us were gone by the time SLJ appeared onscreen. People have no patience anymore!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby buster00 on Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Besides, the first part of the end credit sequence was very well rendered.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 03, 2008 2:22 pm

I only stay during end credits when the music is good... Iron Man's biggest fault was the music, it was shit. Pure. Forgettable. At times painful. SHIT.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 03, 2008 2:24 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
I only stay during end credits when the music is good... Iron Man's biggest fault was the music, it was shit. Pure. Forgettable. At times painful. SHIT.

No Sabbath then?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 03, 2008 2:24 pm

Yeah!The movie rocks!
Just saw it and enjoyed it very much!

BUT the SLJ cameo was even worse on the Big Screen,I just then saw that he wears a black turtleneck pullover!
Come on people,if you dont have time to do it right,dont do it at all........

The rest of the movie was amazing.....

And the Dude was really menacing and creepy.....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 03, 2008 2:26 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

No Sabbath then?

The song is good but I'd already gotten sick of it from the trailers...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I only stay during end credits when the music is good... Iron Man's biggest fault was the music, it was shit. Pure. Forgettable. At times painful. SHIT.

Where are all the good Main Titles gone?
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 03, 2008 2:30 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
king_of_nowhere wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

No Sabbath then?

The song is good but I'd already gotten sick of it from the trailers...

SPOILERS!
He was turned to steel
In the great magnetic field
/SPOILERS
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 03, 2008 2:32 pm

IPAMPILASH!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 03, 2008 2:46 pm

If he's made of iron then why the fuck does he need boots made of lead?

Also, they told us fairies wear boots.
So it's really Iron Fairy?

I'm guessing that wouldn't have sold too well.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sat May 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Just saw it. Effin amazing. Better than Spidey 2, but I understand the gripes with the score. Kind of generic, nothing to really associate the character with.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 03, 2008 7:11 pm

I don't understand these comments that state Iron Man was better than Spider-man 2. I wouldn't even say it was better than Spider-man. IM was a good movie; a very good movie even. But the crème de la crème? Really? I don't think it carried the same weight as the Spidey, X-Men, Superman, or Nolan's Batman films, frankly. Outside of Stark, the rest of the world was pretty 2-dimensional. Maybe they'll flesh things out in the sequel.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable. A complete change from FF2 and Spidey 3....

It's half smart, doesnt' ask too much of the audience and the thrills are quite spectacular. I only noticed the one bad SFX and that's it but it's forgivable.

Enough intelligence to build a sequel but enough fun to know that they could ruin it too. A bit of a double edged sword but I think, through the learning curve, they will come out well.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Vegeta on Sat May 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Saw Iron Man today... Freaking Excellent! Total 100% entertaining film. Great balance of funny, drama, action, romance, thrills, and heroism! Loved it. I know it is in poor taste to compare films... but this is the best superhero introduction movie since Batman Begins. Ofcourse, Iron Man, has a completely different tone and in many ways is more entertaining than Batman Begins (it blows X-Men and Spiderman out of the water). Can't wait to see what they do in Iron Man 2.

Vegeta gives Iron Man 5 out of 5 punches or 9 out 0f 10 on this scale.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Vegeta on Sat May 03, 2008 7:48 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I don't understand these comments that state Iron Man was better than Spider-man 2. I wouldn't even say it was better than Spider-man. IM was a good movie; a very good movie even. But the crème de la crème? Really? I don't think it carried the same weight as the Spidey, X-Men, Superman, or Nolan's Batman films, frankly. Outside of Stark, the rest of the world was pretty 2-dimensional. Maybe they'll flesh things out in the sequel.

As a hero introduction film, Iron Man is way better than Spiderman, Donner's Superman, and X-Men (IMO) and on par with Batman Begins. I won't compare it to the 2nd or 3rd films, because it's not the same type of movie. I was thoroughly entertained, heck, I didn't even look at my watch once. That's quite a compliment to a film where I am from. :-P
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat May 03, 2008 8:03 pm

Iron Man did the best job in handling the visual effects. I never stopped and thought that something looked out of place because of some CGI.

The story was solid and Jeff Bridges was a great villain. He really brought a sense of weight to his character that made me really feel like he had to be stopped. This is one of the biggest problems in super hero movies. In the cases of Doc Ock, The Green Goblin, Metamorpho, The King Pin, The Pheonix, Lady Death Strike, Striker, Magneto, while osme of these characters were very well played, their character foil were all pretty similar and their final confrontation with the heroes were pretty forced.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

IRON MAN (SPOILERS!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 03, 2008 8:29 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Iron Man did the best job in handling the visual effects. I never stopped and thought that something looked out of place because of some CGI.

The story was solid and Jeff Bridges was a great villain. He really brought a sense of weight to his character that made me really feel like he had to be stopped. This is one of the biggest problems in super hero movies. In the cases of Doc Ock, The Green Goblin, Metamorpho, The King Pin, The Pheonix, Lady Death Strike, Striker, Magneto, while osme of these characters were very well played, their character foil were all pretty similar and their final confrontation with the heroes were pretty forced.

What fucking movie was Metamorpho in??????

On a side note... There is ONE! one thing that bugs me about 99% of Superhero movies made in the last decade have done that just irk the shit out of me..

Its fine that the movie kills off the bad guys, but (with the exception of Batman Begins) WHY, WHY do the filmmakers feel the fucking need to UNMASK every masked fucking hero during the FINAL BATTLE?????????????????????

I don't fucking get it and it bugs the shit out of me!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Via email:

Leckomaniac wrote:Quick review: this movie was awesome!

RDJ's Tony Stark instantly catapults him into the ranks of Johnny Depp and Capt. Jack. It is quite something to behold. Paltrow's Pepper Potts (try saying THAT ten times fast) is charming and gorgeous. Her scenes with Tony are exceptional. The special FX are nearly flawless and provide the adequate sense of "awe."

The film doesn't break any new ground and it adheres to most of the rules, but it is damn fun. My only gripes are the absolutely GENERIC score by Zimmer (talk about phoned in) and the narrative technique they used to open the film. It is straight out of a TV show and it really didn't work for me. It just felt entirely unnecessary. Basically, the film begins cold and then at the crucial point stops and pulls one of those "36 hours earlier." What is this Heroes?

Other than that, the film works an every conceivable level. Kudos to all involved.
DennisMM

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 03, 2008 8:36 pm

It might have something to do with the eyes. The eyes can be the most expressive part of a person and during a final battle seeing the struggle the hero is going through ups the tension for the scene. I'm sure studios/directors have done tests to see how dramatic a masked hero can be and it's likely they found unmasked heroes are easier to empathize with. Plus the climax of the final fight is usually the climax of the film and it'd suck for the lead actor if he didn't get his moment in the sun.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

IRON MAN (SPOILERS!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 03, 2008 8:43 pm

RogueScribner wrote:It might have something to do with the eyes. The eyes can be the most expressive part of a person and during a final battle seeing the struggle the hero is going through ups the tension for the scene. I'm sure studios/directors have done tests to see how dramatic a masked hero can be and it's likely they found unmasked heroes are easier to empathize with. Plus the climax of the final fight is usually the climax of the film and it'd suck for the lead actor if he didn't get his moment in the sun.

FUCK EM!

They're getting paid to be the character, NOT THEMSELVES!

I don't want to see TOBY MAGUIRE standing tall after the final fight with Goblin, I want FUCKING SPIDER MAN!

Its something that really brings down a film for me.. and bugs the shit out of me to no end.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: IRON MAN (SPOILERS!)

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat May 03, 2008 8:49 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:It might have something to do with the eyes. The eyes can be the most expressive part of a person and during a final battle seeing the struggle the hero is going through ups the tension for the scene. I'm sure studios/directors have done tests to see how dramatic a masked hero can be and it's likely they found unmasked heroes are easier to empathize with. Plus the climax of the final fight is usually the climax of the film and it'd suck for the lead actor if he didn't get his moment in the sun.

FUCK EM!

I don't want to see TOBY MAGUIRE standing tall after the final fight with Goblin, I want FUCKING SPIDER MAN!

Its something that really brings down a film for me.. and bugs the shit out of me to no end.

The only time Batman took off his mask at the end of the movie was in Batman Returns, but his awesome "split down the center" speech amde up for that. I don't think Daredevil did either, but Ben Affleck can't emote anyways.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sat May 03, 2008 8:59 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I don't understand these comments that state Iron Man was better than Spider-man 2.

It's just that some people think that Iron Man was better than Spider-Man 2 :-P

I think that the thing that put Iron Man over SM2, for me, at least, was the action. Seeing Stark build all of the complex machinery and then using it to kick ass was just very cool to see.

IM isn't over SM2 by a lot, but I still think it has the edge.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 03, 2008 9:17 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

FUCK EM!

The only time Batman took off his mask at the end of the movie was in Batman Returns, but his awesome "split down the center" speech amde up for that. I don't think Daredevil did either, but Ben Affleck can't emote anyways.

Kingpin unmasked DD in their fight... He even laughed at him for being blind.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:The only time Batman took off his mask at the end of the movie was in Batman Returns, but his awesome "split down the center" speech amde up for that. I don't think Daredevil did either, but Ben Affleck can't emote anyways.

Yeah, The Fleck was unmasked for the final fight. Kingpin pulled his mask off and said "I don't believe it, the blind lawyer from Hell's Kitchen?!?, yadda yadda."

Not to get too Comic Book Guy up in this, but I think it was important in the Spider-Man movies because you don't really get a look at his face at all in costume. All the actor has to work with is his voice, and Tobey Maguire's isn't very emotive to begin with. So when Spider-Man's holding up a wall and saying "MJ, in case we die, I want you to know I love you" or whatever, it definitely wouldn't have had the same weight with his mask on, in my opinion. With characters like Daredevil and Batman you can see over half their face anyway, and in Iron Man there were a lot of camera shots where you could see Stark inside the suit, and even then they had him take off his helmet, so. It's a cliche, but I think in a lot of cases the movie's better for it.

Anyway, I liked this movie quite a bit. I think certain moments needed to be beefed up for Punky Power, but overall very mature and fun. Favreau showed the exact right amount of psuedo-science to make you believe in the suit without cluttering up the film, which was probably a tricky thing to figure out. Also, the character of Tony Stark was an interesting one because of RDJ (who was perfect in the role) and because he was very well-written. By the end of the film, he's still an asshole, but you do understand he's grown as a person in certain ways.

I also liked the nod to comics history, where up until... not that long ago, I don't think (Anyone? Dennis?), Stark used to claim Iron Man was his bodyguard.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sat May 03, 2008 9:37 pm

I heard a couple people coming out of the theaters saying that they "ruined" the movie by having Stark confess to the press at the end. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, but seeing the press enter complete pandemonium mode for .5 seconds before the credits rolled was kind of funny.
--

In my opinion the best part of the movie was the following...

*Iron Man flies off, leaving Rhodes alone in Stark's garage. Rhodes glances at the Mark ll suit.*

"Next time, baby."
---

...I peed a little.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat May 03, 2008 10:15 pm

bastard_robo wrote:

FUCK EM!

An actor needs their face to emote otherwise it's mime-time in a costume. You might like that Power Rangers aesthetic but most people don't and will not connect with a faceless hero.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 03, 2008 10:19 pm

Ribbons wrote:I also liked the nod to comics history, where up until... not that long ago, I don't think (Anyone? Dennis?), Stark used to claim Iron Man was his bodyguard.

Until a few years ago, more or less, he made the claim. At one point he was revealed as Iron Man, then used a mind control device to make everyone on Earth forget. Later he outed himself, then simply told the world he was quitting and claimed someone else was now in the armor. He came out fully when he backed the registration during Civil War. Captain America has gone through several exposures, too.
DennisMM

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

FUCK EM!

An actor needs their face to emote otherwise it's mime-time in a costume. You might like that Power Rangers aesthetic but most people don't and will not connect with a faceless hero.

Thats why you spend half the movie building the charecter...

Hell, in just about every case, in these super hero films, you get about 40% of the movie with the actor in the suite, the other 60% is showcasing the actor as the Alter Ego of said character..

Which is fine, but fuck.. its a super hero movie, and I want to believe in the fucking HERO, the alter Ego.

Spider man 2, when the mask is taken off, its not SPIDERMAN fighting Doc Ock anymore, its PETER PARKER in the rest of the outfit trying to convey to doc not to be evil..

Thats were it ruins it for me.

The Person/Persona is a MAJOR difference. As Bill stated in Kill Bill, Peter puts on his costume and BECOMES spider man (and sups puts on the Clark gear blah blah) In the comics, the unmasking during a major fight or reveal is a HUGE thing. In the movies, it seems to happen so goddamn often that it loses its touch after a while.

(maybe thats why I didnt give a fuck when Sandman learned who Spidey was in PT 3 because half of NEW YORK already knew what Pete looked like in the suit)

I'm seeing a super hero movie, I want as much of the HERO portion as I can get. Maybe thats why X-Men worked so well for me was that they just use CODE NAMES instead of Secret Identities. Same with FF. Works for me because they don't Hide their identities.

Ghost Rider.. Johnny Blaze beats fucking Darkheart, not GHOST RIDER.

DD. Matt Murdock beats Kingpin, not DD

Fuck.. batman has to give away his identity to just about every piece of ass he screws!

Im just saying that it TAKES away from the hero dynamic.

Yes I like that I can relate to the Heroes of the tails, BUT I also like more that they do the fantastic things that they do more than their every day quirks.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion