Stray Film Thoughts/Questions

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Michael Keaton was awesome!!!

You wanna get nuts?!?!!? Come on!!! LET'S GET NUTS!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Keaton is probably 2nd best Batman, imo.
Maui
WoWie

Stray Film Thoughts

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:56 pm

I did not care for the Godfather....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:04 pm

I hate the incomplete sentence in JAWS when Hooper is inspecting the remains of the girl in the office. He holds up her arm and states "This is what happens......".
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:12 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I hate the incomplete sentence in JAWS when Hooper is inspecting the remains of the girl in the office. He holds up her arm and states "This is what happens......".

"...when you fuck a stranger in the ass..."
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Stray Film Thoughts

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:20 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I hate the incomplete sentence in JAWS when Hooper is inspecting the remains of the girl in the office. He holds up her arm and states "This is what happens......".

"...when you fuck a stranger in the ass..."

DAMNIT DONNIE YOUR OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:44 pm

now this is what this thread should be about!

kudos for making me change the title, Rogue.

my contribution - after 8 1/2 & PEEPING TOM, after the Hitchcock retrospective here at the flophouse, after revitalizing the Preston Sturges lovefest...I really, really haven't liked any "new" movie too much lately, the lone exception being HUKKLE.

Where do you go from the masters?

down.

very far down.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:54 pm

Hukkle was fun. Things always look better in retrospect.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:05 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Things always look better in retrospect.

Tell that to Uwe Boll...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:39 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Hukkle was fun. Things always look better in retrospect.

I dunno...do you mean the newer films I'm not feeling now will play better given time, or the older films that I've been grokking only seem better with the passage of time?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:06 am

Just watching MONSTER HOUSE on TV. What an awesome little movie. So bummed I missed this one in the theatres. Wasn't it in 3-D as well? I wish I would have seen that!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Just watching MONSTER HOUSE on TV. What an awesome little movie. So bummed I missed this one in the theatres. Wasn't it in 3-D as well? I wish I would have seen that!

I saw this in theatres AND own it! There was a digital 3D release, I didn't see that one. :(

Zemeckis/Spielberg did good with this one.

I loved when the house came alive.
Maui
WoWie

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 am

It's a girl house!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:27 am

RogueScribner wrote:It's a girl house!

It is, and she's in a super bad mood.
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:06 am

Maui wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:It's a girl house!

It is, and she's in a super bad mood.

They should've just waited 5 days or so and then tried to go in again...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:57 pm

with, mayhaps, some apologies to THE RUINS and, almost certainly, FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON, have the last couple weeks of new releases been the absolute dregs or what?

i thought Jan & Feb were the more fucktarded months for film, but at least some genre fare gets shat out the Hollywood poop shoot then...the last couple weeks, though, have just been sad.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:with, mayhaps, some apologies to THE RUINS and, almost certainly, FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON, have the last couple weeks of new releases been the absolute dregs or what?

i thought Jan & Feb were the more fucktarded months for film, but at least some genre fare gets shat out the Hollywood poop shoot then...the last couple weeks, though, have just been sad.

Really, really depressingly bad. I feel so lost when there is nothing...NOTHING...I want to see at the theater. And everything I've given the benefit of the doubt has been trash.

Thank god for the New Bev! Good time to enjoy the oldies on the big screen.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:38 am

Shakes the Clown committed the cardinal sin of clown movies: it was neither funny nor bloody!!! Unless said humor and blood appeared after the 35 minute mark 'cause that's when I quit watching.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:43 am

I forgot how awesome Back to the Future is.

The Watermelon Man was funny.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:with, mayhaps, some apologies to THE RUINS and, almost certainly, FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON, have the last couple weeks of new releases been the absolute dregs or what?

Flight Of The Red Balloon was amazing. I thinks we need a Hou or atleast a Taiwanese Cinema thread for him and Edward Yang.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:52 pm

So how flippin' cool was that still they posted from The Fury on the main site?

Before you scroll down...it's kinda NSFW...

Haven't seen this one but I definitely am gonna seek it out now.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:57 pm

That's crazy! I've never seen the film...anyone else?? Should i be checking this out?

I'm talking the original, not the stupid remake...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:That's crazy! I've never seen the film...anyone else?? Should i be checking this out?

I'm talking the original, not the stupid remake...

yes The Fury is a fun little movie, I just watched it on TCM or AMC the other day and it's fun, not great, although John Cassavettes and Kirk Douglas are awesome in it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:36 pm

and I just wanted to say that I watched Return to Me today on AMC and Carol O'Conner was freaking awesome, was that his last performace?

btw Return to Me is the David Duchovney/Minne Driver love story, his wife died donated her heart, she got her heart, they meet fall in love blah blah blah
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Bloo wrote:and I just wanted to say that I watched Return to Me today on AMC and Carol O'Conner was freaking awesome, was that his last performace?

btw Return to Me is the David Duchovney/Minne Driver love story, his wife died donated her heart, she got her heart, they meet fall in love blah blah blah

haha yeah I've seen that one. It's kind of like that Inarritu movie 21 grams...except with 100% less despair and depression.

And thanks for the info on The Fury!

At this point I think I'd watch anything with John Cassavetes. I saw a trailer for this movie Devil's Angels with him that was pretty awesome. It looked like that to Easy Riders is what Altamont is to Woodstock. Crazy fucking biker movie.

Anyone seen it?
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed May 07, 2008 12:45 am

4 Months 3 Weeks & 2 Days made me long for the days when you could smoke in the theater. Maybe it was the characters smoking, or a number of exchanges in which the main character tries to acquire a certain brand of cigarettes in a communist state or maybe it was the fact that 432 is the most enervating, harrowing movie experience since Children of Men, but 20 minutes into this film, and I needed a smoke bad. The long takes that the film primarily consists of don't seem as show-offy as Children of Men at first. A highly calculated drabness in the films color palate adds to the general hypnotic suspense induced by the subject matter and its presentation.The camera is often held at a fixed point long enough for the implications of the actions to register, and for the sinking realization of what you are going to witness to set in. No matter how much rhetoric you want to put around it, performing an actual abortion is an ugly thing and to its credit, the film doesn't shy away from it, containing an extended take of an eerily humanoid fetus on the bathroom floor that would be almost enough to give David Cronenberg an onset of nausea. Aside from the sexual exploitation by the aborter of the two girls that is meant to underscore the inevitable subjugation of women in a male dominated state where they don't have full control of their bodies, the only other real political bent inherent in the film may stem from its approach. The set, unflinching camera helps to underscore both the horrific nature of abortion as well as its inevitability, both in the film, and perhaps in society at large. Still, as rigorous and viscerally effective as it is, the territory has been more thoughtfully and artfully explored in Mike Leigh's Vera Drake, and its quasi-realism seems simple minded next to the parabolic, darkly comic, and improbably sympathetic Romanian film The Death of Mr. Lazerescu.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 5:54 am

LeFlambeur wrote: the fact that 432 is the most enervating, harrowing movie experience since Children of Men, but 20 minutes into this film, and I needed a smoke bad.

sweet comparison, just for the long takes or for the similar humanist take on humanities reactions to oppression as well? Interesting how one revolved around a birth, the other...err, not, but still both had the feel the other could fit comfortably in each other's respective film universes (well, once again, aside from the pregnancy angle). Since I figure I have your attention Flambe, do you watch Battlestar Galactica at all? They had a plot revolving around, with humanity on the cusp of extinction, whether or not to continue to allow a woman's right to choose. Great show, I think you'd dig it.

LeFlambeur wrote:containing an extended take of an eerily humanoid fetus on the bathroom floor that would be almost enough to give David Cronenberg an onset of nausea.

nah, he'd of shot the little bugger in some kinda twisted sexual connotation.

LeFlambeur wrote: Still, as rigorous and viscerally effective as it is, the territory has been more thoughtfully and artfully explored in Mike Leigh's Vera Drake

really? 'Cuz, lover of Leigh that I am, I can't gird myself up enough to rent it, but if it comes so highly praised...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 6:03 am

hey, so, question, one for some reason I can't psyche myself up enough to bother answering for myself...

what film has the first B00M H34D7H0T in cinema history?

I caught a sweet one the other day, circa 1940, in Hitch's, first 27minutes or so aside, rip snorting, brazenly Propagandic (but, you know, for the good guys, so it's cool) suspense action thriller that no one can figure out how to make anymore FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT?

but I'm wondering, is that the 1st, maybe?
Does Hitch have directorial copyright over that rich cinematic tradition as well?

was there one in SCARFACE? MOST DANGEROUS GAME? Some German Expressionist masterpiece? Another Hitch film?

help this otiose film buff out here...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 07, 2008 6:06 am

Le Voyage Dans La Lune (1902) has the first headshot... via rocket to the moon's face!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 6:22 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Le Voyage Dans La Lune (1902) has the first headshot... via rocket to the moon's face!

judges?

oooh, sorry.

but points for wit awarded to team Pacino!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed May 07, 2008 6:27 am

Hell, I bought it. But, there is always Battleship Potemkin from 1925. BOM glaZEZ shot!1
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Peven on Wed May 07, 2008 7:29 am

what about opinions on the best usage of said shot? i have almost zero technical knowledge myself, but does that intro shot of Rhett Butler in GWTW qualify, because that is one of the all-time best intro shots, imo.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed May 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote: the fact that 432 is the most enervating, harrowing movie experience since Children of Men, but 20 minutes into this film, and I needed a smoke bad.

sweet comparison, just for the long takes or for the similar humanist take on humanities reactions to oppression as well? Interesting how one revolved around a birth, the other...err, not, but still both had the feel the other could fit comfortably in each other's respective film universes (well, once again, aside from the pregnancy angle). Since I figure I have your attention Flambe, do you watch Battlestar Galactica at all? They had a plot revolving around, with humanity on the cusp of extinction, whether or not to continue to allow a woman's right to choose. Great show, I think you'd dig it.

The comparison was mainly in how the long takes are utilized, I think the other elements are probably coincidental, though an excellent piece comparing the two could probably be written. Both follow the people who help the pregnant girl for example, one looks to a grim future, the other to a grim past in each case to consider the present. In both the visual styles work to impress a sense of realism, by preserving the unity of space and time, and using a relatively gray visual pallate. But CoM's visuals were flashier, placing itself in a more Kubrickian, visionary sci-fi disposition, where 432 set itself up in the neo-realist, Euro-ghetto art mode. It was that element, the way that each film self-conciously positioned itself stystically and sticking to it completely, occasionally to the detriment of the material, that put me off a little bit to both films, good as they each were. But I digress...

Also, its always tough for me to start TV shows. Battlestar Galactica (like the Wire) has come highly reccomended to me for some time, but I just can't bring myself to pick them up. Alot of it has to do with the fact that I don't have cable, but it is also that there are alot of great films that I want to see and only so much free time to do it in. I'm not especially busy or anything, but I like to get in as much as I can. Very often I find myself hesitant to pick up anything over 3 hours, let alone a multi-season TV series.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Thu May 08, 2008 12:45 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Le Voyage Dans La Lune (1902) has the first headshot... via rocket to the moon's face!

judges?

oooh, sorry.

Approves.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu May 08, 2008 1:12 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:Hukkle was fun. Things always look better in retrospect.

I dunno...do you mean the newer films I'm not feeling now will play better given time, or the older films that I've been grokking only seem better with the passage of time?

El lateo reply, but I definitely feel that films get better over time, maturing like wines. Also, there is that great line from "12 Monkeys" where Bruce and Madeline are sat in the cinema and Bruce muses on how movies change, as you have changed, when you watch them.

I think the main thing is the hype machine and marketing, which ain't necessarily what the actual film is about, so when the "shock and awe" dies down, you are left with a movie that you can judge on your own terms rather than a marketed "imposed" one. 24 Hour Photo for instance was something that seemed to be twisted from an indie perspective into a Hitchcockian psycho thriller.

I love 70's movies, put any old crappy one on and I just get off on that sense of time and place, in time, modern films become capsules of their time, rather than post modern ento nuggets and Uwe Boll will emerge as a revolutionary pioneer.

or maybe not.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 08, 2008 1:26 am

buster00 wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

judges?

oooh, sorry.

Approves.

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 08, 2008 7:02 am

Ribbons wrote:
buster00 wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

judges?

oooh, sorry.

Approves.

I miss Linda Lovelace...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby magicmonkey on Thu May 08, 2008 7:24 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
buster00 wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

judges?

oooh, sorry.

Approves.

I miss Linda Lovelace...

yeah... and hit the moon instead...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 11, 2008 2:10 pm

Okay, Netflix keeps pimping this Malcolm McDowell movie If... to me. What say you, Zone? Should I give in and get it? Is it any good?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Sun May 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Ribbons wrote:Okay, Netflix keeps pimping this Malcolm McDowell movie If... to me. What say you, Zone? Should I give in and get it? Is it any good?

It's a complete masterpiece. Go for it, Ribbons. Keepcool wrote an excellent review of it a while back, maybe he could dig it out, I'll have a quick search for it too.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TonyWilson on Sun May 11, 2008 2:55 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:If....

my new favorite teen/growing up/coming-of-age movie...

ever. Sorry Dazed and Confused, but it was about the time when a NEVER better (goddamn did Clockwork typecast him for all eternity) Malcolm McDowell fencing session with his mates morphs into an allegorical/metaphorical/surreal 1930's swashbuckling free-for-all that I realized that this wonderfully anarchistic, indict-the-system, up-with-the-'yoof film had everything I could ever ask for and then some - everything I would ever try to say/do in a film I might try to make about growing up has been said and done better in this film than any I could ever imagine.

just a balls-to-the-walls defiant perf by McDowell, all brash insouciance and calm, you-can't-touch-me-so-don't-dare-try-to-break-me sheen of teen Esprit de corps. His mates, one loyal I would even imagine beyond death, one pretty darn Dumbledore and hot and bothered, would indeed flock to him, the boner inducing lass would 'prolly shag the shit out of them, and the angelic Bobby Phillips who's ('prolly) happy to be in a College of unrequited male lust but who knows enough to know that he's way fucking better than lewd, crude sexual advances of the "Whips" and eventually finds solace, comfort and love/lust in the waiting arms of McDowell's Dumbledore mate...

i mean, damn, when McDowell shows up in school, pins a black revolutionary firing a machine-gun on his wall and preens in the mirror {can't even paraphrase, damned gf returned the flick before I could get all the quotes I wanted} with the velveteen touch of a dandy/randy/revolutionary mod, well, I knew I was in for something special.

and it just got better and better after that.

a truly remarkable, brave flick.

Brits, Canadians and cinephiles have 'prolly seen it already, but anyone who hasn't should, ASAP.

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 11, 2008 3:18 pm

I don't own the DVDs of the Indiana Jones films, although I've seen one at the cinema, so I might be wrong about this BUT...are the Indy films in widescreen?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun May 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I don't own the DVDs of the Indiana Jones films, although I've seen one at the cinema, so I might be wrong about this BUT...are the Indy films in widescreen?

My DVDs are, so I can only assume they were always widescreen.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sun May 11, 2008 3:26 pm

And after that, maybe give Oh Lucky Man! a looksie. McDowell, who wrote it partly based on his own life, claims it's a sequel to If...

By the way, just in case you think your television's playing up or there's something wrong with the DVD, If... switches between colour and black and white because Lindsay Anderson ran out of money while filming.

(Props to him for coming clean and not spouting the bullshit most filmmakers would come out with. "It was shot that way to reflect the characters emerging from their monochromatic cocoon into a beautiful land of butterflies." Heh.)

EDIT: Fried & WPAO, you insensitive bastards! We're trying to have a conversation here...

:wink:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 11, 2008 6:53 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I don't own the DVDs of the Indiana Jones films, although I've seen one at the cinema, so I might be wrong about this BUT...are the Indy films in widescreen?

In that case why do the BBC keep showing out of date 4:3 copies of the them?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun May 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:

In that case why do the BBC keep showing out of date 4:3 copies of the them?

Because they're a bunch of cheap bastards :evil: Had the same conversation earlier with my sister.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 11, 2008 7:03 pm

The combination of this Indy thing, endless adverts for Lloyd Webber musicals and them showing Pluto Nash the other day surely means I can claim a refund on my TV licence.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun May 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The combination of this Indy thing, endless adverts for Lloyd Webber musicals and them showing Pluto Nash the other day surely means I can claim a refund on my TV licence.

Evidently you've not seen the new 'We know where you live, there is no escape' TV Licence adverts the BBC are showing now. Talk about fucking Big Brother...
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Stray Film Thoughts

Postby bastard_robo on Mon May 12, 2008 2:20 am

How is Joe Don Baker still alive?
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DaleTremont on Mon May 12, 2008 1:00 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:And after that, maybe give Oh Lucky Man! a looksie. McDowell, who wrote it partly based on his own life, claims it's a sequel to If...

By the way, just in case you think your television's playing up or there's something wrong with the DVD, If... switches between colour and black and white because Lindsay Anderson ran out of money while filming.

(Props to him for coming clean and not spouting the bullshit most filmmakers would come out with. "It was shot that way to reflect the characters emerging from their monochromatic cocoon into a beautiful land of butterflies." Heh.)

Aha! Thanks for the clarification, Sepp. It's those switches that made me rate it a couple points lower than I might have otherwise. Jeez...the days I spent agonizing over the common denominator in those black and white scenes and all to no avail...
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion