...and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (spoilers!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

How awesome is the new Indy film?

4%
12%
15%
21%
17%
9%
11%
3%
1%
3%
The Last Crusade was the LAST friggin' crusade, I ain't watchin' this!!!
No votes
Waiting for the Special Edition DVD with extended Cantina/Jabba's Palace scenes
4%

Total votes : 75

Postby travis-dane on Sun May 25, 2008 12:04 pm

This "conversation" over at CHUD sums up my feelings for INDY4 pretty well.....

http://chud.com/articles/articles/14873/1/TAG-TEAM-INDIANA-JONES-POST-MORTEM/Page1.html
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun May 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Ten points deducted for linking to CHUD! We're watching you!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Zarles on Sun May 25, 2008 12:55 pm

But George needs your money, travis! That's the only reason he made this movie, remember? Obligatory ;)

I really want an Indy animated series now. Or at least a new freakin' videogame. Emperor's Tomb was the shit.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Sun May 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Zarles wrote:
I really want an Indy animated series now. Or at least a new freakin' videogame. Emperor's Tomb was the shit.

Like this one?
Its using the same engine as GTA4, and the trailer is a year or so old, so I expect the finished product will be a lot more polished.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Sun May 25, 2008 3:34 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Ten points deducted for linking to CHUD! We're watching you!

:shock:
I thought we are friends with CHUD.....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sun May 25, 2008 3:46 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
Zarles wrote:

Like this one?
Its using the same engine as GTA4, and the trailer is a year or so old, so I expect the finished product will be a lot more polished.

God that is the most ANNOYING trailer ever. I thought that guy's voice would go away eventually...
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun May 25, 2008 4:03 pm

How does someone even talk that way for such a long time? It must be exhausting.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DaleTremont on Sun May 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Yahoo! News wrote:"Our movie-goers are teenagers who are completely unaware of what happened in 1957," St Peterburg Communist Party chief Sergei Malinkovich told Reuters.

"They will go to the cinema and will be sure that in 1957 we made trouble for the United States and almost started a nuclear war."

"It's rubbish ... In 1957 the communists did not run with crystal skulls throughout the U.S. Why should we agree to that sort of lie and let the West trick our youth?"

Ahh the ideological toll Spielberg films can take upon the impressionable Pinko youth. Maybe if they screened Schindler's List it would eradicate the growing anti-Semitism! Shit...or would it just turn them against Ralph Fiennes?

Tricky, tricky...
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 5:20 pm

Went and saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull this afternoon. What to say? Well, I'll say this much, no matter how the TOD vs TLC debate goes, KOTCS is by far the most inferior of the sequels. It's not even a contest.

Boy, the problems start right at the beginning for this movie and keep mounting as it moves forward. The opening sequence with the Russian convoy invading Area 51 (it seems implied by the big number 51 printed on the inside of the door of the warehouse), and dragging Mac and Indy out of the trunk would have been okay, if it wasn't obviously green screened. Right off the damn bat I am cursing George Lucas and his overuse of green screening. Might as well make all the farking actors glow at that point, since they stand out so much from the farking background anyways. Anyhow, I noticed that Harrison Ford didn't even sound that much like himself, when he spoke off screen the only reason I knew for sure it was him was he was the only person in the scene that didn't have an accent (Russian/English that is). Way to put your heart into the role Mr. Ford. I will say there were some bright spots in the warehouse chase, but also some eyerolling moments... just too many one liner jokes in there for me ("I thought that was closer..." ect.).
The nuke scene was so insulting to the audiences intelligence I just had to sigh. Oh the fridge is "lead lined"... yeah, that'll help :roll: . Things picked up a bit with the Feds and Mutt's appearance and for about twenty minutes there I thought that we had a decent Indy flick going on. Then I heard Indy scream at Mutt during the motorcycle chase: "Be careful, you're going to hurt somebody" and my hopes shattered...

Personal aside: Once about 10 years ago, some friends and I had a conversation about who was the most badass character on film. Sure Rambo came up, so did several of Arnold's characters, and John McClaine as well. My choice was Indiana Jones. Never has a character walked onto the cinematic landscape and so ruthlessly, effectively, and without remorse dispatch the bad guys as well as Indiana Jones. He had to kill and or maim 250 people in Raiders of the Lost Ark alone. This is a guy who giggled to himself while knocking Nazis off the side of a truck he was driving, all of which would see the infirmary or the morgue. And the whole time we were cheering him on and just rollicking in his kick ass ways. The man was a bad motherfucker before they made wallets that said "bad motherfucker"!

Now we have this farking nuetered version of Indy. He isn't even carrying his trusty revolver for Christ sakes. Regardless, it's all down hill from there. Now we get to South America and it's alien skulls, John Hurt jabbering in rhymes, and Marion all moon-eyed for the rest of the flick. Don't even get me started on the pompadoured monkeys and plant nut shots. Then we have an ending that is unbelievable beyond words (not in a good way either) and it all adds up to one gigantic disappointment. I know I sound like I completely hated it... I didn't, but I certainly don't think it's an Indiana Jones film. More like a good Mummy flick (meaning at best about half the film works, while the rest is meh to horrible). Seriously, this film is what I expect out of Michael Bay or Roland Emerich, not Steven Spielberg.

Also, I would like to add a "seconded" to burlivesleftnut's letter to Spielberg/Lucas from a couple of pages ago. As far as I am concerned it is obvious that neither Steve or George are trying anymore and the least I can do is not watch their new films. So, from here on in I will enjoy the cinematic gifts they have given me, but partake no more of the new, since clearly they have quit trying to produce quality films.

Vegeta gives Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull a very limp 3 punches (or 5 out of 10 on this scale):
ImageImageImage

Seriously, you're better off staying home and watching any of the three previous films.
Last edited by Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun May 25, 2008 6:32 pm

Amen Vegeta. I just saw 'Taken' with Liam Neeson at the cinema's and hell, that was more enjoyable then Indy. I dare say, he even was a more purposeful character. He was Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne, Bond and Indy combined! You should definitely go and see it as soon as it comes out.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Sun May 25, 2008 6:56 pm

Just saw it this afternoon...Vegeta, you are WAY to kind in your review.

I'd give it a 3/10, and also tell everyone left to wait until DVD.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 7:01 pm

so sorry wrote:Just saw it this afternoon...Vegeta, you are WAY to kind in your review.

Well, I didn't want to be a total hater. I can see some people (if they tried very hard and wore rose colored glasses) liking this flick, but IMO it feels a lot like the mess POTC 2 and 3 were than an Indy flick. There were a couple of scenes where I was like "oh, they got the magic going... crap, so close."
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Just got back from a late screening. Well, what can I really say that we've not already covered during this long ass thread? KOTCS has some major flaws, there's no getting around it. So I'll cover these first.

The Opening Scene
It really does feel as though we've come in halfway through the adventure. This sequence feels like something that should've been in the last third of the movie, building up to the climax. With that in mind, it's not actually a bad sequence - just out of place.

Marion
Frankly, I don't see how Marion's inclusion in the film is in any way relevant. She does nothing, she says virtually nothing and she doesn't really act as anything more than a catalyst for Indy to get onboard the mission in the first place. Karen Allen is truly wasted here - but the biggest problem falls to her acting. Where's the accent, people??

The Ox
Although later in the film, during the attempts to enter the temple, Oxley becomes a relevant character, everything before this point is not needed. Ox just spends it making strange noises or reminding us what Indy's real name is. He feels utterly pointless until the temple sequence. A real shame because so much more could have been done here. I cringe at recent rumours that Sean Connery would have been playing Henry Jones Snr in place of Oxley had he signed on to the flick.

The Ending
The wedding sequence is a sweet idea, something we've all probably wanted for Indy. But it just doesn't work. It's a dull sequence and not the right one for the film to go out on. Even 'The Kiss' doesn't work for me. It's not passionate, it's just goofy. Saving grace? Indy snatching the hat back from Mutt - a total 'Yeah, as if we would' from Spielberg there, not an indication of spin-offs to come.

Gophers
STOP LETTING LUCAS NEAR THE CGi 'CUTE ANIMAL' BUTTON!!! :evil:

So there it is - some major problems that needed work. But onto the good stuff that I feel makes the movie not only worth watching but keeps it a viable entry in the franchise.

Nuclear!!
The Doom Town sequence was excellent, it really was a tension building moment as Indy tries desperately to find some form of escape. Lead lined fridge? Yeah, I'll buy it. It gives us the opportunity for that wonderful moment where Indy is silhoutted (sic?) against the mushroom cloud and tower of flame - symbalising Indy being in a very different time and climate now, somewhat out of place in a world he perhaps doesn't understand the rules of anymore.

Grave Robbing
That sequence is beautifully paced. Anyone who says it's slow and boring needs to rewatch TLC scene in the sewer or the ToD sequence where Indy first gets his mits on the Sankara stones. It takes it's time in order to set things up and bring us deeper into the storyline. If only the film had been interspersed with more sequences like this, that had a slower and more intricate pace, the overall film would have been improved.

La Beef
I've disliked him with a passion in everything I've seen him in, but in KOTCS Shia has won me over. His chemistry with Ford is great, he plays the part well and he's a good character for the story and setting. Though I'd never pay to see him in a spin-off where he takes the lead, I would certainly not object to an Indy V with him and Harrison working alongside again. Kudos, sir!

"First Dad, then Marcus..."
The one truly touching moment of the film, beautifully performed by Harrison and the ever watchable Jim Broadbent. It really has the feeling of the the first three, it has the emotion and it was great to just have that moment of Indy looking at his Dad's photo and knowing what he was thinking and feeling. Really lovely moment.

The Bike Chase
Old school Indy kicks! Loved every minute of this sequence, it could have sat in either ROTLA or TLC easily. Love the moment Indy is pulled through the window and then proceeds to kick the shite out of everyone in the car before climbing back on the bike. Excellent 8-)

Visual
The look of the film is gorgeous. Spielberg did a good job here and I loved most of the imagery in the film. Lots of moments that you could freeze frame and have an iconic image.

Indiana
Ford is still Indiana Jones, just older and wiser. He is great and I've nothing more to say on it really, because he just was Indy. It was all there and he looked great. What more can be said?

Overall, this is an Indy film for a different generation. My teenage sister loved it completely and she's only seen the originals maybe twice each and didn't grow up with them either. It's also a different time and attitude for Indy himself to be in and I think that is relevant to the overall film. He's older, wiser and living in a decade of post-war paranoia. He's out of place and struggling to survive (as ever). Real shame they ditched the storyline of him being a suspected Commie, but otherwise I think the new setting was handled well. It was never going to be Raiders 2, nor should it have been, but KOTCS is worthy of being in the franchise. It's fun, it's action packed and there's some good laughs.

This is an Indiana Jones film. That's all I wanted it to be and that's all I got. So I'm a happy camper (with lots to think about).

7/10

P.S. - am I the only one who noticed that one of Indy's interogators in the men in black scene was Janitor from Scrubs?! :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Sun May 25, 2008 8:47 pm

I'll give it one big positive: the motorcycle chase was really well done, and felt like an Indy moment.

Marion was a mess of a character. Was she lobotomized or something? She had this idiot puppy dog look on her face the entire time.

Everything about this film, except one or two fleeting moments, was an ugly ugly mess.

Makes me appreciate The Phantom Menace a bit more now...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm

so sorry wrote:Everything about this film, except one or two fleeting moments, was an ugly ugly mess.

Makes me appreciate The Phantom Menace a bit more now...

:shock:

Whoa, now let's not say things we can't take back :wink:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby bastard_robo on Sun May 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Good god!

I've never heard such bitching over a few fucking Gohpers and some fucking MONKEYS!

They were just there! Yet everyone complaining about them is making them out like they ruined the fucking movie!

Indy was out int he fucking desert, there are gophers out there, much like there are a wide variety of animals in India!

END THE MADDNESS!

And really, the ending. Everyone can buy into SUPERNATURAL forces coming out of a box, or a knight who has lived for almost 2000 years in a fucking cave, but people cant accept beings from another world helping to create, at the time, one of the most advanced civilizations on the planet. Out of all the indy films, to me, this is the MOST plausible for some reason.

And the watching stuff happened. Thats about the last 30 seconds of that ending. Much like INDY tied to a pole as ghosts melt everyone else, or an earthquake sucking everyone down.

I don't know, the movie dose have its tone problems, but I think people are going way out of their way to nitpick the hell out of this film.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby so sorry on Sun May 25, 2008 9:35 pm

The ineveritable backlash of the backlash has begun!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby bastard_robo on Sun May 25, 2008 9:49 pm

it has. I can understand not everyone is going to like it. Theres a high expectation, but crap...some of the complaints are just stupid
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby tapehead on Sun May 25, 2008 10:01 pm

'Ouch! My Balls!'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: ...and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (spoilers!)

Postby Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 10:05 pm

bastard_robo wrote:it has. I can understand not everyone is going to like it. Theres a high expectation, but crap...some of the complaints are just stupid

Well crap... can you be a bit more specific? I've read the same criticism as you and it defintetly isn't all about gophers and monkeys (but egads they did suck :-P ). Most seemed to be about how actors and actresses roles were either pointless (Ox) or under utilized (Marion). Also how everything was greenscreened and looked like shit. Or how the story just was meh. Sorry, but magical Alien skulls that apperently turn into just one brain incenerating alien (even though there were 13 skeletons) that fly away (oh wait, they're not aliens, but interdimensional beings that exist in the space between space or some nonsensical crap) don't make sense or hold my interest. KOTCS just didn't work for me and a lot of other folks. Then add the wedding at the end and... egads, I could (and likely will at some other time) go on and on.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby slumber party69 on Sun May 25, 2008 10:55 pm

so sorry wrote:Just saw it this afternoon...Vegeta, you are WAY to kind in your review.

really that bad?,Has lucas left his dirty finger prints all over this?.
Got a headache?.
slumber party69
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 25, 2008 11:15 pm

Wow, today's batch of reviews are really scaring me off this movie! :shock:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 25, 2008 11:17 pm

The average review rating is still just above 6 here in the Zone. The new Indy flick couldn't even manage a 7. *sigh*
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 11:35 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Wow, today's batch of reviews are really scaring me off this movie! :shock:

Sorry Rogue, but it isn't all that great. Granted there are some fun parts and the motorcycle chase with Indy riding bitch with Mutt works quite well. Bits here and there work as well, but there is so much that sputters and fails (IMO) throughout that it pretty much comes away feeling very, very lackluster. The only way to know for sure is to see it, but I would have Raiders ready to go as a backup when you come home crestfallen.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 25, 2008 11:37 pm

Yeah, I was worried about this project from the beginning and now I think I'm definitely waiting for DVD. Too bad though. I would have loved to have been wrong.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Sun May 25, 2008 11:41 pm

You're not going to watch it at the movies, you're going to wait and watch it on DVD?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Sun May 25, 2008 11:43 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Good god!

END THE MADDNESS!

I don't know, the movie does have its tone problems, but I think people are going way out of their way to nitpick the hell out of this film.

Hallelujah and AMEN to that!!!

Glad someone feels the same way. To me- this particular instance of movie-dissection is a clear-cut case of losing perspective due to having a nose buried too deep in the prairy dog's fur, and spoils the hell out of a thoroughly enjoyable Indy-adventure.

As ToD and the Last Crusade both have plenty of faults as well, I don't see why anyone would have expected this movie to be perfect.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 11:50 pm

RogueScribner wrote:The average review rating is still just above 6 here in the Zone. The new Indy flick couldn't even manage a 7. *sigh*

Well, I don't quite trust the votes for 1, 2 and 10. 1 or 2 is like Uwe Boll territory and this KOTCS couldn't suck that bad on it's worse day. The 10 vote is highly suspect, because... well, KOTCS just isn't a 10, even on it's best day.
Last edited by Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Vegeta on Sun May 25, 2008 11:54 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:

END THE MADDNESS!

I don't know, the movie does have its tone problems, but I think people are going way out of their way to nitpick the hell out of this film.

Glad someone feels the same way. To me- this particular instance of movie-dissection is a clear-cut case of losing perspective due to having a nose buried too deep in the prairy dog's fur, and spoils the hell out of a thoroughly enjoyable Indy-adventure.

As ToD and the Last Crusade both have plenty of faults as well, I don't see why anyone would have expected this movie to be perfect.

Sorry, but I disagree... I personally don't care for TOD for similar reasons. In my book it goes something like:

ROTLA = 10+
TOD = 5.5
TLC = 7
KOTCS = 5
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun May 25, 2008 11:59 pm

Well, I voted a one.

This movie was ten kinds of stupid. I went in with optimism, understanding that it was "ok" and forgettable, but still kind of enjoyable.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I wanted it to be over twenty minutes in.

Harrison Ford wasn't Indy...he was cranky Ford in a hat, getting a paycheck.

Karen Allen wasn't Marion Ravenwood -- she was Marion filtered through the Ditzy and Dumb Machine that took Amidala's brains.

Cate Blanchett should be absolutely ashamed of herself -- first, for not managing to keep a credible accent (save for the scene in the tent), second for turning such a cheesy ass performance. When brilliant actors decide to have fun, they always suck.

Ray Winstone, surely you could have protested and won the omission of at least one Jonesie? I don't think I have a lot of confidence in you anymore, you've managed to be in THREE lousy adaptations of work I once enjoyed.

A few good action scenes, but lousy CGI, silly script, and actually more unbelievable than Temple of Doom.

Just a lame movie all around. My childhood wasn't raped but it was definitely molested. However, I think I will forget about it quickly.

So, what's next, George? More Star Wars? Indy V? There's gotta still be more lameness to come.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DaleTremont on Mon May 26, 2008 12:03 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:Well, I voted a one.

:lol:

I haven't seen it yet but I heart LS.

...that is all.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 26, 2008 12:05 am

This movie was ten kinds of stupid. I went in with optimism, understanding that it was "ok" and forgettable, but still kind of enjoyable.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I wanted it to be over twenty minutes in.

Harrison Ford wasn't Indy...he was cranky Ford in a hat, getting a paycheck.

Karen Allen wasn't Marion Ravenwood -- she was Marion filtered through the Ditzy and Dumb Machine that took Amidala's brains.

Cate Blanchett should be absolutely ashamed of herself -- first, for not managing to keep a credible accent (save for the scene in the tent), second for turning such a cheesy ass performance. When brilliant actors decide to have fun, they always suck.

Ray Winstone, surely you could have protested and won the omission of at least one Jonesie? I don't think I have a lot of confidence in you anymore, you've managed to be in THREE lousy adaptations of work I once enjoyed.

A few good action scenes, but lousy CGI, silly script, and actually more unbelievable than Temple of Doom.

Just a lame movie all around. My childhood wasn't raped but it was definitely molested. However, I think I will forget about it quickly.

So, what's next, George? More Star Wars? Indy V? There's gotta still be more lameness to come.

Can't argue with your points really at all. The "Jonesie" was annoying (I forgot about that until now).

I think Lucas has a crappy cartoon of "The Clone Wars" later this summer. Then if memory serves he is going to whore his Star Wars films yet again into a 3D version. God I hate that guy.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 26, 2008 12:05 am

DaleTremont wrote:

:lol:

I haven't seen it yet but I heart LS.

...that is all.

LOL, thanks. I just realized how grammatically bad that sentence is. ;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Mon May 26, 2008 12:10 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:So, what's next, George? More Star Wars? Indy V? There's gotta still be more lameness to come.

No, another Indy movie starring Shia! (I'm being serious)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cannes_film_festival_2008/news/1729138/

I'd love Shia forever if he actually turned down this offer, but I don't see that happening.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Zarles on Mon May 26, 2008 12:12 am

Told ya! :lol:
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 26, 2008 12:24 am

JpPrewitt789 wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:So, what's next, George? More Star Wars? Indy V? There's gotta still be more lameness to come.

I'd love Shia forever if he actually turned down this offer, but I don't see that happening.

George Lucas wrote:"I haven't even told Steven [Spielberg] or Harrison this but I have an idea to make Shia LaBeouf (who plays Mutt) the lead character next time and have Harrison come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). I can see it working out."

Maybe he'll invite the pompadour monkeys along too... we could only be so lucky. :roll:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 26, 2008 12:39 am

Vegeta wrote:
JpPrewitt789 wrote:

George Lucas wrote:"I haven't even told Steven [Spielberg] or Harrison this but I have an idea to make Shia LaBeouf (who plays Mutt) the lead character next time and have Harrison come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). I can see it working out."

Maybe he'll invite the pompadour monkeys along too... we could only be so lucky. :roll:

I want the monkeys to all have combs and they will comb their hair back in unison along with Shia.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon May 26, 2008 12:47 am

Vegeta wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:

END THE MADDNESS!

Sorry, but I disagree... I personally don't care for TOD for similar reasons. In my book it goes something like:

ROTLA = 10+
TOD = 5.5
TLC = 7
KOTCS = 5

Well, actually- we don't disagree that much at all then. Me too I liked the original film best- and I liked TLC heaps better than ToD.

Except maybe I liked KotCS a bit better than you- I will admit the alien story was a little weak, but I still liked the movie. That's why I find the nitpicking slightly overdone.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 26, 2008 1:11 am

tapehead wrote:You're not going to watch it at the movies, you're going to wait and watch it on DVD?

Yeah, I think I will.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 26, 2008 1:17 am

RogueScribner wrote:
tapehead wrote:You're not going to watch it at the movies, you're going to wait and watch it on DVD?

Yeah, I think I will.

Do you at least have a bitchin' sound system?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 26, 2008 1:18 am

Do you know one of the biggest plot problems for me?

The fact that the KGB's most notorious somehow managed to slip into the U.S. unnoticed.

Ms. Spalko wasn't exactly a master of disguise type -- so I would very much like to know how she, her Tomb Raider belt and her rapier, got here from the Soviet Union without raising a red flag.

I'm willing to believe the FBI is inept and all, but the fact that Indy's involvement with them is carried far and wide within hours, Cold War paranoia is at its height...but no one notices Ms. Spalko?

Please.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 26, 2008 1:19 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
JpPrewitt789 wrote:

I want the monkeys to all have combs and they will comb their hair back in unison along with Shia.

And I want there to be a little monkey temple with paintings of Shia, and their version of a crystal skull -- except made out of coconut. Or whatever they have in their jungle. Plant life is not my specialty.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:Do you know one of the biggest plot problems for me?

The fact that the KGB's most notorious somehow managed to slip into the U.S. unnoticed.

Ms. Spalko wasn't exactly a master of disguise type -- so I would very much like to know how she, her Tomb Raider belt and her rapier, got here from the Soviet Union without raising a red flag.

I'm willing to believe the FBI is inept and all, but the fact that Indy's involvement with them is carried far and wide within hours, Cold War paranoia is at its height...but no one notices Ms. Spalko?

Please.

Like that scene at the security gate, it seems as long as you don't talk, everyone will just assume you're a high ranking official. Next month I'm putting on a sailor outfit and I'm going to pilot a nuclear sub without saying a word.

The monkeys need a motorbike as well. I'm going to talk so much about monkeys in this thread that this and the space chimps thread will be indistinguishable.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 26, 2008 1:44 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

Yeah, I think I will.

Do you at least have a bitchin' sound system?

Do TV speakers count?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon May 26, 2008 2:13 am

Vegeta wrote:
JpPrewitt789 wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:

And I want there to be a little monkey temple with paintings of Shia, and their version of a crystal skull -- except made out of coconut. Or whatever they have in their jungle. Plant life is not my specialty.

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Ok, so all of the above makes it sound like i HATED it...i swear i didn't. There were less cringe-worthy moments than there were in the prequels. Many of the humorous moments worked pretty well without being over the top Lucas-stupid (plants to the nuts, monkey scene and snake/quicksand scene notwithstanding). As I said the chemistry between Ford and Shia worked. Unfortunately the chemistry between Ford and INDY was lacking.

I think the problem I had with it is the cringe-worthy moments that WERE in it were so cringe-worthy that I cringed into a little ball...

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Anyway...overall a few fun moments. A couple of nice nods back (Ark), but not quite as many as I'd feared (i thought it'd turn into a nostalgia fest). No real lasting power here though...and when I think about watching an Indy marathon with my kids someday I doubt it'll even occur to me to watch 4 movies instead of 3.

I was afraid of that too and was glad that happened, but I did feel that the Ark did not need to be seen. Anyone who is a fan is going to know what that warehouse is.

Lord Voldemoo wrote:edit: oh yeah, had Shia been allowed to put on the hat in the last shot I'd have changed my score to -3000/10

co-sign (see what I did there!)

I liked it overall as well and I did not want to come across as a hater. I think the reason that I was bored is that Harrison has some how lost his charisma that fueled his past movies. (I blame Six Days Seven Nights)

Lastly I cannot wait for the movie with Shia and the monkeys. Ha ha ha. Cause the monkeys had pompadours and he had a pompadour so he was king of the pompadour monkeys...Hahahahahahahahahaha....Oh man. I am writing to Lucas now and pitching the script idea!!

I am so unloved... :P
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 26, 2008 2:18 am

Oh, Bob -- monkeys are cool. Too cool to be reduced to an Indy prop...

And they weren't even REAL.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon May 26, 2008 2:24 am

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:

END THE MADDNESS!

ROTLA = 10+
TOD = 5.5
TLC = 7
KOTCS = 5

Well, actually- we don't disagree that much at all then. Me too I liked the original film best- and I liked TLC heaps better than ToD.

Except maybe I liked KotCS a bit better than you- I will admit the alien story was a little weak, but I still liked the movie. That's why I find the nitpicking slightly overdone.

I thought the movie was ok too. But I think we need to nitpick the snake scene. I really cannot believe that it would have been in any of the other movies. That was just ALF...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nordling on Mon May 26, 2008 2:32 am

I wrote a review for Harry, more of a RAIDERS/SKULL review, actually, and hopefully he'll post it. I may be doing more writing for AICN in the future.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon May 26, 2008 2:39 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:Oh, Bob -- monkeys are cool. Too cool to be reduced to an Indy prop...

And they weren't even REAL.

I am telling you. 2010 belongs to Mutt and the Monkeys!!! Heed my word...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 26, 2008 2:41 am

Ugh, I forgot about the snake scene...yeah, that was ALF. It is not possible to use a snake as a rope.

The other story issue I had a problem with was Indy's new James Bond background. The idea that he was a genuine spy was preposterous. If the government had called in a favor when, say, he was attending some symposium in the Soviet Union...ok. But the idea that he was somehow this kickass spy was just really out of character for me. A WWII hero, yes, but not some kind of Cold Warrior.

I also had a huge problem with why he would have ever been called into Roswell. When Spalko said he had identified mummified remains, I thought they would turn out to be something unearthed in Peru. Again, that would have been realistic and fit with his scholarly background. But WHY would he have been called to Roswell to identify anything?! Wouldn't you be calling in NASA or someone?

It was this kind of filler that just yanked me out within twenty minutes. It went against everything Indiana Jones ever was. I think I would have had a much easier time accepting and enjoying the movie (even the aliens!) if it hadn't tried to "catch" me up. I could have begun the movie happily thinking Indy had just been doing the same old all these years.

And while I want to say that this movie ISN'T going to affect my viewing of the first three...it will, solely because of the way they screwed up the Marion and Indy romance. Oh, Indy's a bastard -- but always lamented she got away? Thanks for ruining MY idea of them.

Sigh. It is all off my chest now.
Lady Sheridan
RED

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion