KINGDOM OF HEAVEN Director's Cut

Betamax and beyond

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN Director's Cut

Postby The Hellboy on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:06 pm

Sorry to be sorta shillish, I gave Moriarty the heads up on this - Ridley Scott's new Director's Cut of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is playing exclusively in Los Angeles at the Fairfax Laemmle for the next 2 weeks.

Please check it out - if you've seen the previous theatrical edition, this should change any issues you may have had with it. I can't recommend it enough. Running time is approx. 3hours 9minutes.

Fairfax 3
7907 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048

(323) 655-4010
Aw, crap!
The Hellboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:27 pm

And hopefully out on DVD soon....mmm? Glad I waited to pick up the DVD.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:49 pm

I'm there
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:05 pm

What extra stuff does it have? Does it explain how Orlando Bloom goes from suicidal Blacksmith to leader of the whole of Jereasalum at the end?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:08 pm

This is good to know. I have held off on even WATCHING this movie hoping a directors cut is there. I hope they include the oft-rumored shower scene with Brendan Gleeson where young arab men lather him up real good and then dry him off by softly beating him with palm leaves.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:12 pm

I was an extra in that scene. :wink: Jealous?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:33 pm

gentleman
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:26 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I hope they include the oft-rumored shower scene with Brendan Gleeson where young arab men lather him up real good and then dry him off by softly beating him with palm leaves.

My god.... if only they could insert Brian Cox in there making out with Michael Gambon during that scene and you'd have.... ummm you'd have.... uhhhh.... hmmmm... is it warm in here?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:29 pm

I predict that you two are going to be very good friends.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby BobGobbler on Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:13 pm

That movie deserved more credit than it got.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:20 am

I agree, BobGobbler. I think it may even be my favorite of the modern period epics, bar LOTR (but not by much).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Sub-Zerø° on Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:33 pm

please tell me they actually show the battle when the studly guy leads his army into a salahudin ambush? all you saw in the theatrical version was the aftermath. :X
Sub-Zerø°
GLIB

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:24 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:This is good to know. I have held off on even WATCHING this movie hoping a directors cut is there. I hope they include the oft-rumored shower scene with Brendan Gleeson where young arab men lather him up real good and then dry him off by softly beating him with palm leaves.

These are visuals I could have lived a long time without....
The Vicar

Postby Moriarty on Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:38 am

Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Nordling on Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:41 am

Excellent. I have the theatrical version on DVD but I didn't open it because after I bought it I found out about this. Maybe I'll trade this fucker in today.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:35 am

Mori, do you know if the REAL Kingdom of Heaven will get released on DVD?
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Moriarty on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:56 pm

It will. Fall 2006.

But everyone should have a chance to see it like this, on the biggest screen possible, because it deserves theatrical play. It's that good.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:00 pm

I'm slightly dissapointed that Moriarty in his KOH review doesn't mention anything about Orlando Bloom developing himself from Blacksmith/Engineer to ultimate warrior/leader of the whole Jereusalum army. This is what I want to see the most in this film.

Is it there? Is it explained? How does he advance as a warrior? Also I need to see other developments with his character, especially in the love story with the Queen.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:03 pm

Having not read much press on it, I left the cinema after Kingdom of Heaven thinking Kubrick had faltered badly, Mistreating the weighty subject matter of the Crusades by looking at it through the more quasi-mythological and 'heroic' view he employed (suitably) for Gladiator - will definitely watch the evetual DVD release but it's sad that this version won't get a Cinema run if its as much of an improvement as Moriarty says.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Hellboy on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:32 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I'm slightly dissapointed that Moriarty in his KOH review doesn't mention anything about Orlando Bloom developing himself from Blacksmith/Engineer to ultimate warrior/leader of the whole Jereusalum army. This is what I want to see the most in this film.

Is it there? Is it explained? How does he advance as a warrior? Also I need to see other developments with his character, especially in the love story with the Queen.

M adressed it - Balian has fought in wars and constructed war machines. It's all there in the new beginning sequences. Anything that anybody would have a question about in the previous cut is addressed, making the film richer. BTW, he's not really the "ultimate warrior" by the end of the film - he is simply the Marshal of Jerusalem - it's appointed protector when Tiberias (Irons) quits. With his engineering skills and the charisma to rally the people of the city (remember that the Army of Jerusalem is wiped out earlier at the Battle of Hattin) he holds the great Saladin to a stalemate. He surrenders the city, but is victorious in saving lives that would have been lost otherwise.
Aw, crap!
The Hellboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm

Oh Cool man. I did skip through the review a little bit, and I either forgot or missed the bit in the beginning that said that he FOUGHT in the wars, other than acually constructing the machines.

Oj, he might not be the 'ultimate warrior', but I'm still not getting what made him able to be one of the 'leaders' of the actual Jerusalem army during the film even before the end. I still feel that there's some more developing of Balian and his fighting skills that had to take place throughout the mid section of the film.

Then again I shouldn't comment too much in case the beginning section does provide enough of this exposition itself.

All it does leave is this question... Does the Director's Cut make Orlando Bloom a better actor?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:50 pm

tapehead wrote:Having not read much press on it, I left the cinema after Kingdom of Heaven thinking Kubrick had faltered badly, Mistreating the weighty subject matter of the Crusades by looking at it through the more quasi-mythological and 'heroic' view he employed (suitably) for Gladiator - will definitely watch the evetual DVD release but it's sad that this version won't get a Cinema run if its as much of an improvement as Moriarty says.

Dude, you must be smokin' some good stuff. KUBRICK DIRECTS FROM THE GRAVE!!!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Hellboy on Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:41 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:All it does leave is this question... Does the Director's Cut make Orlando Bloom a better actor?

Most definitely.
Aw, crap!
The Hellboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:27 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:All it does leave is this question... Does the Director's Cut make Orlando Bloom a better actor?

Only an act of divine intervention can do that.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby HonkyLives on Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:06 pm

Any chance in hell there'll be future theatrical showings of the Director's Cut after this week? I don't fly back into L.A. until the 8th, and being a fan of the theatrical cut I really don't want to wait an entire year to see the film as it was originally intended.
A woman's legs are her best friends. Yet there comes a time when best friends have to part.

-- Dolemite
HonkyLives

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 19, 2006 5:25 pm

I just ordered it after I found out about it today. Kingdom of Heaven was one of those films that I found infuriating as it seemed a few steps short of greatness on release. I waited for DVD, figuring I'd hate the crap out of it thanks to the casting of Orlando Bloom, but on seeing it was pleasently suprised by his performance. The problem was the epic nature of the film seemed curtailed, hampered in some way, and now I know why. It was never meant to be so short!

Anyhow, I've read a load of reviews saying that the extra work on the film really turns it into a classic. Seeing as I enjoyed it for its brave themes and all round top notch performances, I figured "go for it". Anyone else interested in this other than myself?

Oh, and lets face it. Edward Norton is stunning in this and you don't even see his face.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri May 19, 2006 5:25 pm

I still want to see this. Can you rent it, or is it just available to buy?
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 19, 2006 5:29 pm

I don't know, even so I'm a UK resident so I'd otherwise have to wait until September for a lamer version thanks to LOTR inspired packaging.

I got it suprisingly cheaply off Play.com considering what a hefty package it is. I'd say, on the basis of the original film, its probably worth investing in.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 19, 2006 5:41 pm

i really want to see this too, but i'm hoping i'll be able to rent it on netflix or blockbuster or hollywood video. it's not something i think i'd watch over and over.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri May 19, 2006 5:46 pm

I'm up for this. Ditto what AK said really. I'll get it if it's on sale or cheap though - as I'm a cheap ol' bastard myself. I personally thought there was so much missing that so much of it was illogical to me, particularly how Bloom bloomed from suicidal blacksmith to leader of the whole bloody Jerusalem 'army'.

I think Eva Green is supposed to be naked toowhoohoo!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 19, 2006 6:40 pm

Reeheeheeheeally?

*ahem*

Anyhow, one of the reasons I am so interested is that I picked up The Abyss on DVD for £3 the other day and couldn't believe HOW MUCH just half an hour of footage added to the film. It actually tips it over into classic territory for me, what with the whole alien plotline being fleshed out and the cold war threads being strengthened. I'm hoping a similar occurence will happen with this, as the Abyss' new cut really made it for me.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri May 19, 2006 6:44 pm

Is this the same Director's Cut that was released in the States? Haven't seen it, but I intend to.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri May 19, 2006 6:47 pm

Just wished I could have seen it on the cinema.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 19, 2006 6:47 pm

The one that came out this week. Or rather next week. I'm confused as my order's already been sent from PlayUSA.com and the date for US release is the 23rd May!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri May 19, 2006 6:49 pm

SPOILERS

Orlando Bloom still gets killed in this at the end though.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 19, 2006 6:50 pm

Make yer text smaller Kirk, its easy to pass over spoilers and see the big un underneath.

Er... big spoiler that is.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri May 19, 2006 7:43 pm

I'm definitely interested in this. I liked the theatrical enough, but I too felt something was lacking.

Also, does anyone know whether the Gladiator Extended Cut is worth getting? What's added in? Is it just the deleted scenes from the first DVD? And does it make the film better?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Tue May 30, 2006 12:24 pm

There might come a time when studio executives will realise they don't know as much about filmmaking as an actual director who has an awe inspiring resume ( Bladerunner, Alien, The Duelists for example). The Suits saw fit to monkey with Bladerunner, and the recent DC ( and, even more so, a 2006 release of a special deluxe automatic orgasmic edition ) proved Scott knew better. I'm willing to bet Orson Welles also knew better than the pederasts that fondled The Magnificent Ambersons, but back on topic - they ( the Suits) struck again.
The victim this time was Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, and the recent four DVD release proves that, once again, Scott knew better.
I haven't seen any of the extras, because I just purchased it over Memorial Weekend, shot home & rammed it into the DVD player, wondering what those 50 odd minutes of returned footage could be.

Oh.
The rest of the story.
( NOT a Paul Harvey Commentary tagline - I mean the rest of the story of Kingdom of Heaven)

Whole plot threads, entire characters, to say nothing of character development & details; all restored.
We're left with a richer, deeper film that in some respects is different enough from its theatrical release to rate not divulging all the changes - rediscovering the film, this time as Scott had intended, would be better without disclosure.

Be aware that Kingdom of Heaven seems more graphic than the "original" - Ridley Scott really tries to give you a taste of how brutual, savage & intolerable ancient warfare was. Bodies & attendant appendages are rent asunder. Heads go missing.

If you liked/loved KOH before, you are really, truly going to love this release.
If you were on the fence, this could help you over.
If you hated it well, you hated it. Why are you even reading this?

Kingdom of Heaven is now fully realised, and deserves to sit alongside Scott's best.
Last edited by The Vicar on Tue May 30, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Vicar

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 30, 2006 12:34 pm

I got it over a week ago and haven't had a full three hours to watch it, but you're saying what everyone else is saying. It's one of Ridleys best.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue May 30, 2006 1:47 pm

The Vicar wrote:If you liked/loved KOH before, you are really, truly going to love this release.

Wow, now this sounds totally awesome. Hopefully I'll pick it up next time I'm in NA or the UK.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Tue May 30, 2006 3:18 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
The Vicar wrote:If you liked/loved KOH before, you are really, truly going to love this release.

Wow, now this sounds totally awesome. Hopefully I'll pick it up next time I'm in NA or the UK.

Well, I hope you end up agreeing with my assessment - I'd hate to be responsible for steering you wrong.
You'd know best about your feelings regarding Ridley Scott, his work in general & this one in particular.
If these are mostly positive, we cool.
If not, well, I'd doubt you'd have shown any interest.
The Vicar

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 30, 2006 3:20 pm

Pacino - Playusa.com may be able to get it to you.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:19 pm

Well, just finished watching the first half. For the life of me I don't understand the reasoning behind the theatrical cut at all. Simply put - they either should've released the whole uncut version or split the film in two, Kill Bill style. The ending of the first half... great, great stuff. In fact, incredible filmmaking all round.

The direction is never short of sublime, and now Orlando Bloom's sober demeanor and various mood swings throughout the theatrical version make far more sense. I'm not keen on him as an actor, but now the character is far more fleshed out its far easier to root with him and understand the kind of conflict he's facing. Particularly when coupled with the importance of God and religion in the society he's living in. Not only is he concerned with the consequences of his actions in this world, their repercussions into the next one are equally as important.

Spirituality, not religion, as that is dealt a contentious hand by Ridley (a position I side with), is far more at the fore as an entity within the movie. The earthiness and deadly reality of the old world is really brought further into focus, further emboldening the desperation of the characters from peasents to kings, good or bad. In a world where death is so close, what happens in the next world becomes a driving force.

I sit here, stunned by the utterly inept decision by the studio producers to truncate one of Ridley Scott's finest works. It could even be the best film he's ever made. Certainly, although I love the immediacy and emotion of Gladiator (I'm equally as interested in the extended version of that), Kingdom of Heaven has far more depth and gravity despite having who some might argue as a weaker central character. Certainly, the two compare - both initially driven by the deaths of their families - but ultimately their goals are completely different. I'd be interested if this eventually becomes part of a trilogy of sorts, whether this is a plan of Ridley's, as certainly the two movies hold many similarities and almost deliberate opposing themes. Gladiator is about politics and revenge. Kingdom deals in religion and redemption.

Certainly it's one of those films that remains with you after you've seen it. The extended cut further greys the treatment the Christian elements which makes the previous criticism of that particular religions treatment seem moot. Much of the film deals in themes which ring in the modern viewers mind on a day to day basis... it's an incredibly pertinent film and certainly one which, in the form of this version, is one that demands to be seen.

I'd be interested in talking more on this if anyone else has seen it. Certainly I think that the extended cut creates a deep epic which must be one of the most important Hollywood films in years.

Made by a brit too. Good on yer Ridley.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:43 pm

Yeah, this is the best purchase on DVD so far this year.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby The Hellboy on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:19 pm

It was a labor of love, that's for sure.
Aw, crap!
The Hellboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:29 pm

You definitely get that from the proper version. It's an immense film.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:27 am

See, I've long ago decided to pass on this movie completely, but now I'm intrigued by the talk regarding the extended cut. Should I bother with the theatrical at all or just try to hunt down the extended cut?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:37 am

Do not bother with the theatrical... just either wait for the extended to appear in your region or import it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:43 pm

I just got the 4 DVD set myself & watched the movie discs last night. I felt it was a great film before, but it's more epic in scope and far more emotionally involving with the extended cut.

Was it me or did it seem like there wasn't much added, even though a LOT was added?
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:48 pm

The sign of a good movie is that time passes without you realising it. ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray