SPEED RACER

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Go Go or No Go Speed Racer?

24%
24%
11%
18%
7%
4%
4%
No votes
No votes
7%

Total votes : 45

Re: SPEED RACER

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Look, I'm not trying to be rude here, but would you guys honestly want a Speed Racer 2?

I mean, I enjoyed Speed Racer. But I think they milked everything they could out of this world and setup. What could a sequel offer? Even more ridiculous races? Even wackier chimp antics? Even more brightly colored settings? I think I'd go blind.

However I wouldn't mind more movies looking and feeling like this because I think it captured the dinkyness of cartoons perfectly the same was what Rodriguez did with Sin City captured the ultra-noirist feel of Miller's comic books. I would look forward to more anime adaptations like Speed Racer, but not a sequel.

Earlier I suggest a Sailor Moon film, I think it would be pretty easy to do. Everybody likes movies about crime fighting hotties with killer bodies and I'm sure you could get a good cast of likeable and attractive young actresses to fill the parts.

I don't know a lot about anime, but as far as I know they haven't done a live action Pokemon or Dragonball film. I can't think of any other big series. Maybe this Cowboy Bebop thing that my buddy Travis is always talking about.

I loved Speed Racer but I don't want a sequel... I sort of argued myself out of that one, but still I would've liked to see it make a good profit at least to let the Wachowskis and Joel Silver know that they did a good job (i.e. that the studio realizes they did a good job).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby groovymatt on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:43 am

Christ i can't believe there are so many people on here and IMDB comparing the film to Blade Runner. That's ridiculous.

Look, personally I loved the film, but that was despite a hell of a lot of problems. The idea that this is some modern day citizen kane/blade runner etc, some objectively fantastic filmic piece that's 'misunderstood' is naive and wishful thinking. And if anything i think it only adds fuel to the fire that critics of the film are throwing at it as it makes the fans of the film look foolish.
groovymatt
GLIB

Postby Zarles on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:56 am

I don't think it's being compared to BR quality-wise. I think the comparisons come from that fact that it's a good movie that got overlooked because a lot of other more high-profile films came out at the same time.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby max314 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Look, I'm not trying to be rude here, but would you guys honestly want a Speed Racer 2?

Actually...yes.

Speed Racer is the perfect property to turn into a series. I mean, it already comes from serialised fiction, so the potential is there.

Plus, the Wachowskis have already got ideas for a potential sequel. And let's not mention all the loose threads that were left hanging at the end of the first movie with Racer X et al.

I mean, I enjoyed Speed Racer. But I think they milked everything they could out of this world and setup. What could a sequel offer? Even more ridiculous races? Even wackier chimp antics? Even more brightly colored settings? I think I'd go blind.

Like I said, this thing has got massive serialisation potential.

However I wouldn't mind more movies looking and feeling like this because I think it captured the dinkyness of cartoons perfectly the same way that Rodriguez did with Sin City captured the ultra-noirist feel of Miller's comic books. I would look forward to more anime adaptations like Speed Racer, but not a sequel.

Earlier I suggested a Sailor Moon film, I think it would be pretty easy to do. Everybody likes movies about crime fighting hotties with killer bodies and I'm sure you could get a good cast of likeable and attractive young actresses to fill the parts.

I don't know a lot about anime, but as far as I know they haven't done a live action Pokemon or Dragonball film. I can't think of any other big series. Maybe this Cowboy Bebop thing that my buddy Travis is always talking about.

They're already doing Astroboy and Dragonball.

Sailor Moon is in the early stages of development.

Akira and Ghost in the Shell are also at very early stages, too.

Pacino86845 wrote:I loved Speed Racer but I don't want a sequel... I sort of argued myself out of that one, but still I would've liked to see it make a good profit at least to let the Wachowskis and Joel Silver know that they did a good job (i.e. that the studio realizes they did a good job).

That most depressing part is the Wachowskis' future prospects. Studios are gonna think twice before fronting the cash, but as long as they've got Silver behind them, I think they'll be okay.

groovymatt wrote:Christ i can't believe there are so many people on here and IMDB comparing the film to Blade Runner. That's ridiculous.

Look, personally I loved the film, but that was despite a hell of a lot of problems. The idea that this is some modern day citizen kane/blade runner etc, some objectively fantastic filmic piece that's 'misunderstood' is naive and wishful thinking. And if anything i think it only adds fuel to the fire that critics of the film are throwing at it as it makes the fans of the film look foolish.

I'd be interested to hear what you think those problems are.

Nevertheless, I do think that Speed Racer's art direction and production design is stellar. And I also think that the Wachowskis managed to balance the spectacle with a genuinely emotional story at the center of it.

It did what it set out to do. And it did it perfectly.

Zarles wrote:I don't think it's being compared to BR quality-wise. I think the comparisons come from that fact that it's a good movie that got overlooked because a lot of other more high-profile films came out at the same time.

That's definitely part of it.

Like Blade Runner, Speed Racer has a number of obvious visual ambitions to try and create a new type of visual storytelling. And while Speed Racer obviously can't match Blade Runner's thematic complexity and density (the Wachowskis have already visited that territory with The Matrix), what Speed Racer does have is an optimistic emotional core that is genuinely moving.

To simplify it, you could almost say that Speed Racer and Blade Runner are two sides of a stylistic coin - one is fun and light and optimistic, the other is dark and brooding and nihilistic.

Hehe...Speed Racer is like Blade Runner on "happy pills" :lol:
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Marry me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Zarles on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Nathan Rabin from the AV Club takes a crack at Speed Racer.

Caution: Bitchy hipster douchebaggery follows...
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:23 pm

Zarles wrote:Nathan Rabin from the AV Club takes a crack at Speed Racer.

Yeah I had to stop reading after about 4 paragraphs. I actually enjoy his Flops articles, but sometimes he goes out of his way to be negative. Of course it doesn't help that he obviously isn't a genre fan.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:23 pm

That AKIRA live action remake has been a long gestating abomination, but it looks like it might actually be happening and worse than I imagined.

As for the others, I'm cool with them. I'll wait and see how they shape up but have no problem with the idea of a Dragonball or Sailor Moon movie with all American actors. I don't really remember Ghost In The Shell all that well, I think it was about a cyborg assassin that goes berserk or something, which is a good fit for Hollywood filmmaking.

To me Akira was such a Japanese odessey that doing with Americans kinda cuts the significance out of it completely and it's the only one I really object to.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 pm

max314 wrote: Speed Racer obviously can't match Blade Runner's thematic complexity and density (the Wachowskis have already visited that territory with The Matrix)

IPAMPILASH
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:14 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Zarles wrote:Nathan Rabin from the AV Club takes a crack at Speed Racer.

Yeah I had to stop reading after about 4 paragraphs. I actually enjoy his Flops articles, but sometimes he goes out of his way to be negative. Of course it doesn't help that he obviously isn't a genre fan.

Agreed. I actually sympathized with the Star Wars angle he took, but what he's missing is that Speed Racer is a total subversion from the usual summertime fare, one that goes completely against the grain of what a summer blockbuster is supposed to be. I liked it so much because it was so weird and different than what anyone might've been expecting.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bill blake on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:45 am

the only thing that matters is the box office.

speed racer got ripped off.

was it the instant merchandising? the idiotic marketing? competitive scheduling?

would this movie make its money back if it were released in april like the matrix?

will this post be ignored because it has no bling?
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:53 am

Spandau Belly wrote: I can't think of any other big series. Maybe this Cowboy Bebop thing that my buddy Travis is always talking about.

Cowboy Bebop is The Great Gatsby of Anime.. REQUIRED VIEWING!

And I would be scared something terrible if they attempted to make a live action movie of that series...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby max314 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:19 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Marry me.

Whoa, hey... What's with this sudden need to "define" our relationship? :lol:

Spandau Belly wrote:That AKIRA live action remake has been a long gestating abomination, but it looks like it might actually be happening and worse than I imagined.

As for the others, I'm cool with them. I'll wait and see how they shape up but have no problem with the idea of a Dragonball or Sailor Moon movie with all American actors. I don't really remember Ghost In The Shell all that well, I think it was about a cyborg assassin that goes berserk or something, which is a good fit for Hollywood filmmaking.

To me Akira was such a Japanese odessey that doing with Americans kinda cuts the significance out of it completely and it's the only one I really object to.

For me, I just wonder what the point would be to remake Akira.

The original is such a great, visionary work. Why would you even want to change it?

The answer is simple. Money.

And yeah, there is something quintessentially "Japanese" about the whole Akira experience that would likely be lost in translation.

Chariman Kaga wrote:IPAMPILASH

Well, YTUHGJUYUYTFGJHJHGHDGDWHATTHEFUCKISTHISGIBBERISH to you too my good man! :lol:
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby shitjet on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:26 am

What an enjoyable film this was.

The Wachowski's could brush up on their script-writing skills, tho...
I have pancakes for breakfast. Potatoes for lunch. And movies for dinner.
shitjet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:46 am

max314 says:
For me, I just wonder what the point would be to remake Akira.

The original is such a great, visionary work. Why would you even want to change it?

The answer is simple. Money.

And yeah, there is something quintessentially "Japanese" about the whole Akira experience that would likely be lost in translation

I don't know how much money there really is in this. To accomplish even half of the important stuff from the original would require a huge budget.

The original wasn't really an action Hollywood feature, it was just more of a drama in the future like Blade Runner. And the ending was a huge set piece that ended in a way mainstream audiences would probably find unsatisying.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great film, but it doesn't seem like something the general public would flock to in live action any more than they have as animation. They're probably just going to end up making some movie that's just about futuristic biker youths fighting some evil corporation like they always do. In which case, why bother calling Akira or a remake, why not just make your own movie about futuristic American biker youths fighting cyborgs or whatever?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:43 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote: I can't think of any other big series. Maybe this Cowboy Bebop thing that my buddy Travis is always talking about.

And I would be scared something terrible if they attempted to make a live action movie of that series...

RIGHT YOU ARE robo!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:04 am

travis-dane wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

RIGHT YOU ARE robo!

Much like my campaign to keep anyone from Dubbing over MORGAN FREEMAN, I think I'll take up this cause too!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby max314 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:03 pm

shitjet wrote:What an enjoyable film this was.

Glad you liked it. But I was wondering if you could elaborate on the supposed script flaws you talk of.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:39 pm

max314 wrote:
Chariman Kaga wrote:IPAMPILASH

Well, YTUHGJUYUYTFGJHJHGHDGDWHATTHEFUCKISTHISGIBBERISH to you too my good man! :lol:

I see you aren't familiar with IPAMPILASH. Coined by seemingly deceased Zoner Dino De Laurentiis, IPAMPILASH stands for "I piss a my pants, I laugh a so hard". My above use of it was to laugh at the idea that Wachowskis created anything deep in the Matrix movies.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby max314 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:03 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I see you aren't familiar with IPAMPILASH. Coined by seemingly deceased Zoner Dino De Laurentiis, IPAMPILASH stands for "I piss a my pants, I laugh a so hard". My above use of it was to laugh at the idea that Wachowskis created anything deep in the Matrix movies.

You didn't think the whole range of rather challenging issues and ideas that The Matrix Trilogy deals with were in any way substantial?

Why so?
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:34 pm

max314 wrote:...the whole range of rather challenging issues and ideas that The Matrix Trilogy deals with...

Again with the IPAMPILASH.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:58 pm

max314 wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I see you aren't familiar with IPAMPILASH. Coined by seemingly deceased Zoner Dino De Laurentiis, IPAMPILASH stands for "I piss a my pants, I laugh a so hard". My above use of it was to laugh at the idea that Wachowskis created anything deep in the Matrix movies.

You didn't think the whole range of rather challenging issues and ideas that The Matrix Trilogy deals with were in any way substantial?

Why so?

Ever take introductory psych??¿ All them "challenging" issues are pretty much covered before your first mid term.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby max314 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Ever take introductory psych??¿ All them "challenging" issues are pretty much covered before your first mid term.

Well, it's one thing reading them in a book. It's another thing to actually make a dramatic enactment of those ideas and to actually explore them cinematically.

One thing I really liked about the trilogy is how it posits and then tests the concept of Nietzsche's Übermensch. That is, the Wachowskis create the Übermensch at the end of The Matrix, who is theoretically supposed to be above attachment to society and to individuals. Yet in The Matrix Reloaded they present the character with a very compelling moral predicament - save humanity, or save the woman you love. Forgive the pun, but you see the seeds being sown during the rave scene, in which Neo and Trinity are obviously unable to "let go" of one another. Neo follows this sentiment through to the end of Reloaded ("I'm not letting go...I can't...I love you too damn much"), and what I find so great about The Matrix Revolutions is that the very thing that made him seem so spectacular in the second film now becomes the one thing that is limiting him from fulfilling his "karmic" role. Thus the only way Neo can resolve the story is to have Trinity literally pulled out of the equation, thus freeing him to make the sacrifice he otherwise "wasn't ready" to make, according to the Oracle.

Sorry, went on a bit there :mrgreen:

But yeah, I do think the trilogy has a lot to offer. And the whole Nietzschean aspect of it is just one of many strands running through the films.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:54 pm

while I have major reservations about many things in both sequels, some of my major issues involving REVOLUTIONS is that I didn't care one iota about the characters in Zion who were fighting off a rampaging horde of killer bots...annoying kid? Some old school sergeant who just got introduced? Hell, even Nona Gaye, despite being stunningly hot?

didn't care.

The other qweef I really have with that film is the shot selection - I'll always prefer RE-LOADED, and I own that rather than REVOLUTIONS, 'cuz there are some sequences and shots in RELOADED that take my breath away.

in REVOLUTIONS?

none.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby max314 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:while I have major reservations about many things in both sequels, some of my major issues involving REVOLUTIONS is that I didn't care one iota about the characters in Zion who were fighting off a rampaging horde of killer bots...annoying kid? Some old school sergeant who just got introduced? Hell, even Nona Gaye, despite being stunningly hot?

didn't care.

That's unfortunate. I've heard that complaint from quite a few people.

Personally, I think you really have to see Reloaded and Revolutions back-to-back as a single four hour picture in order to get the full effect. Of course, if Reloaded and Revolutions constitute a four hour movie, then that means that the act breaks will be about twice as long. Therefore:
  • ACT 1 is the first hour of Reloaded;
  • ACT 2 is the second hour of Reloaded and the first hour of Revolutions; and
  • ACT 3 is the second hour of Revolutions.

Watched like this, I find that the films have a greater emotional impact, particularly during scenes like the Zion siege that you mentioned.

Anyway, that's my two cents :mrgreen:

The other qweef I really have with that film is the shot selection - I'll always prefer RE-LOADED, and I own that rather than REVOLUTIONS, 'cuz there are some sequences and shots in RELOADED that take my breath away.

in REVOLUTIONS?

none.

Hm...I suppose I could understand that for the second quarter of Revolutions, but the rest of the movie is pretty damned spectacular.

The clean simplicity of Mobil Ave, the dense darkness of Club Hel, the kick ass chaos of the Zion siege, the approach to the vast Machine City, and the knock-your-socks-off spectacle of the Superbrawl were all pretty amazing looking pieces of film.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Nope. Club hell was woeful. Trying to recapture the magic of the lobby scene but upside down. At least with lionel richie playing at the club the scene would have been fun.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby max314 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Nope. Club hell was woeful. Trying to recapture the magic of the lobby scene but upside down. At least with lionel richie playing at the club the scene would have been fun.

I thought the upside down gag paid a nice homage to the original film whilst lending the scene its own aesthetic.

But when I referred to the Club Hel stuff, I was referring a little more to the stuff inside with the Merovingian and Persephone. Seeing the trio enter the club was pretty nicely shot.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:47 pm

yEAH.. HOW ABOUT THAT SPEED RACER MOVIE................................................
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:12 pm

Seriously... back on topic. No one wants to talk about the stank of the Matrix sequels in the Speed Racer thread.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby travis-dane on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:30 am

I love the Matrix Trilogy!GREAT MOVIES!

Back to SPEED RACER,another GREAT MOVIE!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby max314 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Should "SPEED RACER" be Nominated for an OSCAR?

Honestly, I've never seen a movie that looks quite like this.

Does anyone else think it should be nominated for art design? Cinematography? Special effects?

What do you think?

Last edited by max314 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:23 pm

I think it looks like a video game.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby max314 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:28 pm

minstrel wrote:I think it looks like a video game.

Yes. That's sort of the point.

The goal isn't realism. It's surrealism.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:12 pm

show me the video game that looks as good and i'll lay down $100 in a second to buy it. video games dream of looking as good.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:58 pm

max314 wrote:

Yes. That's sort of the point.

The goal isn't realism. It's surrealism.

I think you are confusing surrealism with psychedelic. I am pretty sure Speed Racer will be inappropriate ignored for Art Direction, which is a shame. But I didn't think the movie was Surreal in any way. It' was just psychedlic like LCD Infused Marshmallow being pooped out of Hippopotami with angel wings.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:31 pm

yay lens flares. :roll:
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:yay lens flares. :roll:

Maybe the programmers of Adobe After Effects will get an award.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:31 am

yeah right, just a few simple camera tricks and an over-the-counter media program, thats all it took. why, almost anyone here could make it in a weekend. gee whiz, the movie making knowledge displayed in here is sometimes mindblowing.........
Last edited by Peven on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby travis-dane on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:43 am

Peven wrote:yeah right, just a few simply camera tricks and an over-the-counter media program, thats all it took. why, almost anyone here could make it in a weekend. gee whiz, the movie making knowledge displayed in here is sometimes mindblowing.........

Yep......
I NEVER saw a Videogame that came even close to looking like Speed Racer(or some other big F/X movie,Videogames are years away from looking like that......)
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby max314 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:32 am

Are you suggesting that the only visual aspect of Speed Racer is the use of lens flares?
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Peven wrote:yeah right, just a few simple camera tricks and an over-the-counter media program, thats all it took. why, almost anyone here could make it in a weekend.

Where did anyone state that?

max314 wrote:

Are you suggesting that the only visual aspect of Speed Racer is the use of lens flares?

I'm stating that lens flares are a cheap visual cliche. I said nothing else about the visuals of the film though in regards to the "ground breaking" talk I see nothing really ground breaking about the film's visuals.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:17 pm

Peven wrote:yeah right, just a few simple camera tricks and an over-the-counter media program, thats all it took. why, almost anyone here could make it in a weekend. gee whiz, the movie making knowledge displayed in here is sometimes mindblowing.........

chaka could do it
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:48 pm

Damn it, you totally beat me to that joke. Where in the fuck has that loser been anyway?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Al Shut wrote:
Peven wrote:yeah right, just a few simple camera tricks and an over-the-counter media program, thats all it took. why, almost anyone here could make it in a weekend. gee whiz, the movie making knowledge displayed in here is sometimes mindblowing.........

chaka could do it

he'd make it all look too silvery, though......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby max314 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:50 am

Click here for a great Speed Racer review. Very enjoyable read.

What’s amusing is, if [the Wachowskis] had gone the way of simply recreating the show, or camping up the proceedings with a wink and a nudge to the “low-brow, retro–nostalgic crowd” who know how stupid it all is, the Wachowskis would probably be getting even worse reviews than they are right now for creating this technically radical, emotionally direct, giddy, dizzying and heartfelt movie that eschews easy irony and uses all the high-tech paints and brushes at their disposal to create something unlike any other movie I’ve ever seen.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Simon Quinlank on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:18 pm

max314 wrote:Click here for a great Speed Racer review. Very enjoyable read.

What’s amusing is, if [the Wachowskis] had gone the way of simply recreating the show, or camping up the proceedings with a wink and a nudge to the “low-brow, retro–nostalgic crowd” who know how stupid it all is, the Wachowskis would probably be getting even worse reviews than they are right now for creating this technically radical, emotionally direct, giddy, dizzying and heartfelt movie that eschews easy irony and uses all the high-tech paints and brushes at their disposal to create something unlike any other movie I’ve ever seen.

There's nothing particularly "great" about that review. It's just some guy slagging off other people's reviews, which he thinks are completely wrong just because they share a different opinion.

He'd be better off telling us why he likes it and reviewing the film properly, rather than trying to be blinkered.
I AM THE KING OF ALL HOBBIES
Simon Quinlank
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby shitjet on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:31 pm

max314 wrote:
shitjet wrote:What an enjoyable film this was.

Glad you liked it. But I was wondering if you could elaborate on the supposed script flaws you talk of.

Well, I'd have to watch it again to write a more elaborate critique here, but the main thing is the down-time between dialogues. It reminded me a lot of what Reloaded suffered: Intense action sequences sandwiched between deep, inctricate, thought-provoking dialogues that didn't give you the time to let it all sink in. Soon after you were immersed in a fucking fantastic action scene. It seemed as if the movie had two modes that weren't very compatible one with the other.

Maybe the issue is more about pacing...

max314 wrote:

Why so?

The beauty of the matrix movies was the "layers", as Cornel West put it, in an interview in the Special Features. Some people walk away with 2 or 3. Others with a lot more.

Others walk away with none.

max314 wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:while I have major reservations about many things in both sequels, some of my major issues involving REVOLUTIONS is that I didn't care one iota about the characters in Zion who were fighting off a rampaging horde of killer bots...annoying kid? Some old school sergeant who just got introduced? Hell, even Nona Gaye, despite being stunningly hot?

didn't care.

That's unfortunate. I've heard that complaint from quite a few people.

Personally, I think you really have to see Reloaded and Revolutions back-to-back as a single four hour picture in order to get the full effect. Of course, if Reloaded and Revolutions constitute a four hour movie, then that means that the act breaks will be about twice as long. Therefore:
  • ACT 1 is the first hour of Reloaded;
  • ACT 2 is the second hour of Reloaded and the first hour of Revolutions; and
  • ACT 3 is the second hour of Revolutions.

Watched like this, I find that the films have a greater emotional impact, particularly during scenes like the Zion siege that you mentioned.

Anyway, that's my two cents :mrgreen:

in REVOLUTIONS?

none.

Hm...I suppose I could understand that for the second quarter of Revolutions, but the rest of the movie is pretty damned spectacular.

The clean simplicity of Mobil Ave, the dense darkness of Club Hel, the kick ass chaos of the Zion siege, the approach to the vast Machine City, and the knock-your-socks-off spectacle of the Superbrawl were all pretty amazing looking pieces of film.

yeah, the second hour of Revolutions really knocked my socks off. In a visual and emotional way, mainly.

the second half of the second act (i.e. the beginning of rev) was dispensable, imo. Either that, or it should've been developed more. I mean, why was the Merovingian so interested in the "eyes of the Oracle"? What the hell ended up happening to him? He was such an interesting character and to be disposed of in the way he was sucked. Also, Belucci's 2 min performance in Rev was more than laughable.
I have pancakes for breakfast. Potatoes for lunch. And movies for dinner.
shitjet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:10 pm

the title of this thread clearly states it is the "Speed Racer" thread, not the "W brothers" thread.

don't like personal moments with dialogue sandwiched in with intense action? guess you didn't care for the LOTR trilogy either.........

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Simon Quinlank on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:28 pm

Peven wrote:don't like personal moments with dialogue sandwiched in with intense action? guess you didn't care for the LOTR trilogy either.........

It's not too much to ask for a film with in-depth philosophical discussions between two enemies at the same time as smashing each other over the head with vases.
I AM THE KING OF ALL HOBBIES
Simon Quinlank
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Peven wrote:the title of this thread clearly states it is the "Speed Racer" thread, not the "W brothers" thread..

Max asked him to elaborate and he did.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion