Lethal Weapon: 5ugar Tit5

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Lethal...? Or just mildly annoying with a slight sting...?

FUCK YEAH!!
37%
FUCK NO!!!
21%
THEY FUCK YOU AT THE DRIVE-THRU
37%
Whatever You need, Leo Getz...
No votes
We're getting too old for this shit...
5%

Total votes : 19

Lethal Weapon: 5ugar Tit5

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Merrick here...

A password protected industry tracking site called trackingb.com says that Shane Black is at work on a fifth LETHAL WEAPON project. It's currently unclear whether he's developed a full spec script, or has only handed in a treatment.

" We are now hearing that Shane Black may have only handed in a detailed treatment to Joel Silver and that they are taking two old scripts and mashing them together to make LETHAL WEAPON 5… Also hearing that Silver is after Columbus Short for a role"

...says the article, which you can find HERE

Trackingb says Gibson and Glover are interested in reprising their roles. No other details are given, except that 1) franchise producer Joel Silver has already been contacted by Black, and 2) the storyline would deal with an about-to-retire Riggs coaxing an already retired Murtaugh out for a "ride off into the sunset" case/adventure.

I love what the LETHAL WEAPON films reprensent in terms of energy and attitude, although I found myself quite tired of the whole shebang by the time #4 rolled around. If this project fleshes out, Silver. & Co. would presumably go after Donner to direct. Let's hope Joel and Dick put the screws to the studio (Warners, I guess) and don't settle for a diluted PG-13 rating. The others were hard 'R'...respect that & leave it there. It's tough enough to imagine more of this shtick, but having the same shtick watered down?

It should be noted that LETHAL 5 rumors have been in the wind for a while now - most visibly in the slipstream of Gibson's...incident...when it was claimed Mel wanted LETHAL 5 as a way to regain his footing.

Original Story:

MAJOR SCOOP — LETHAL WEAPON 5! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST AT TRACKINGB.COM…

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 7th, 2008 at 8:25 am.

**TRACKINGB.COM EXCLUSIVE UPDATE**

**We are now hearing that Shane Black may have only handed in a detailed treatment to Joel Silver and that they are taking two old scripts and mashing them together to make LETHAL WEAPON 5… Also hearing that Silver is after Columbus Short for a role**

**TRACKINGB.COM EXCLUSIVE**

LETHAL WEAPON 5 IS ON… HERE’S HOW IT WENT DOWN.

Original screenwriter Shane Black quietly wrote the script on spec, without telling anyone… Then, he called Joel Silver and essentially told him he wanted the story to continue and that he had already written the script… We hear this time homicidal Riggs (Mel Gibson) is about to retire, but pulls Murtaugh (Danny Glover) out of retirement to solve one final case, before they both officially head off into the sun…

Gibson and Glover are down to return (although no deals have been signed yet). With the attractive package and a solid script, the picture will go… soon.

I adore Lethal Weapon...

Martin Riggs and John McClane were my two all-time favorite characters whilst growing up...

So the fact that it could be coming from Shane Black pen is a little encouraging...

And I whole-heartedly agree with the "Keep it Hard R!!!" demands...
As much as I enjoyed Live Free or Die Soft (theatrical version) I enjoyed the actual Die Hard version much more...

I'm all for letting Donner come back...
You don't see a lot of 20+ year franchises keep their same director over all the films...

But I will say that I would love to see Shane Black actually get a crack at one of his own Lethal scripts...that would almost get me even more excited...

This could also be a big rumor...or could take a fuckuva long time to come to fruition...

Nonetheless...I want The Busey to come back some how...

Martin Riggs wrote:What'd one shepherd say to the other shepherd...? Let's get the flock out of here...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Re: Lethal Weapon: 5ugar Tit5

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:12 pm

I have diplomatic immunity against having to see another one of these films.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:19 pm

It's been revoked...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:27 pm

What about my licence to kill Joe Pesci?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:What about my licence to kill Joe Pesci?

He's still alive?!?!??!?!??!?!?????????!!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Okay, okay, okay...they FUCK YOU at the funeral home...okay...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:49 am

Maybe the humorous first scene that reintroduces the characters will be Riggs being pulled over for drunk driving.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:06 am

I'm all for a new Lethal Weapon. Shit, I wish there would be 7 or 8 new every year! (Kinda like Columbo, back in the days. And yes, I know that it's much easier to make 7 or 8 Columbos than 1 Lethal Weapon!)
And I don't buy when people complain about plotholes in Lethal Weapon 4 and call it the worst part of the series. I mean, who watches Lethal Weapon for the story? Lethal Weapon is all about action and even more about the interaction between the characters!
It's good that Shane Black seems to be back, but I hope he will keep the style of the series and not make it as dark as part 1. (Yes, I know, it wasn't THAT dark, but wasn't as much fun as the other parts.) And of course I hope Richard Donner will be back in the director's chair. It would be a shame if they would try to replace him with a hot, young director to take the series into a new, fresh dimension. (Like Triple X 3 starring John McClane)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:11 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:And I don't buy when people complain about plotholes in Lethal Weapon 4 and call it the worst part of the series. I mean, who watches Lethal Weapon for the story? Lethal Weapon is all about action and even more about the interaction between the characters!

I think people complain more about the third film than the fourth.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:27 am

Fried Gold wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:And I don't buy when people complain about plotholes in Lethal Weapon 4 and call it the worst part of the series. I mean, who watches Lethal Weapon for the story? Lethal Weapon is all about action and even more about the interaction between the characters!

I think people complain more about the third film than the fourth.

Well, I've heard more complaints about #4, but my quote can also be used for part 3. :)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:56 am

Of course I'm excited by this, but they'd better do it high-budget and hard R. I think the action in all four movies was great, the third one just had nothing holding it all together. Jack Travis was a weak villain, and you need a strong villain to hold this type of movie together.

It's nice to hear Black is doing this. He'd better live up to his reputation for crazyness, but no the type of crazy that writes existential action movies like The Last Action Hero, I just want crazy stunts and fights and cool character moments. I haven't seen this Kiss Kiss Bang Bang movie, so I don't know first hand what Black has been up to lately, but I heard that he's still turning out good stuff. But a new Lethal flick needs to have a huge scope.

Hopefully this also means Mel will return for Mad Max 4, which I would want more than Lethal 5.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:08 am

This makes me happy. Lethal Weapon is still my all-time favorite action flick. It needs to get serious again. They just have to get Riggs back into maniac mode.

Kill his wife and kid off at the beginning, and watch the ensuing madness.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:10 am

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:This makes me happy. Lethal Weapon is still my all-time favorite action flick. It needs to get serious again. They just have to get Riggs back into maniac mode.

It'd be funny if they killed off Joe Pesci at the beginning and that's what put him over the edge.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:12 am

"I need you to come out of retirement and help me Rog, 'cause the way I feel right now, I could kill the whole fucking world"- Martin Riggs in Lethal Weapon 5
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:13 am

Spandau Belly wrote:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:This makes me happy. Lethal Weapon is still my all-time favorite action flick. It needs to get serious again. They just have to get Riggs back into maniac mode.

It'd be funny if they killed off Joe Pesci at the beginning and that's what put him over the edge.

I though Pesci was retired from acting?
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:35 am

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

I though Pesci was retired from acting?

Oh well, maybe he'll make an exception and come out of retirement like Murtaugh. Or he could even be the bad guy this time. Or they could get Paul Reiser to take over the role.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:42 am

Or Woody Allen
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:01 am

Woody Allen would be great, he looks like 90 now. He's so frail!

I guess if Allen took over the role we'd have write in Scar-Jo as Leo Getz's wife and make a bunch of Russian literature references. But considering this is an action movie made after 1990 the bad guys will probably be Russian mafia so it's not that out of place to have Allen busting out his Dostoyevsky fetish all over the place.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:04 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Woody Allen would be great, he looks like 90 now. He's so frail!

I guess if Allen took over the role we'd have write in Scar-Jo as Leo Getz's wife and make a bunch of Russian literature references. But considering this is an action movie made after 1990 the bad guys will probably be Russian mafia so it's not that out of place to have Allen busting out his Dostoyevsky fetish all over the place.

Leo Zelig. After seeing him in Deconstructing Herry I think he could pull it off.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:30 pm

Without having re-watched numbers 3 or 4 in the last few years I'd probably rank #4 a little higher on the enjoyability level...
I don't like the fact that they ended up with like 12 main characters (and that's just the good guys)...But I felt it was a bit of a stronger film...

#2 I've seen the most...
Cause my dad bought it on VHS when it first came out and I watched it all the time...
I fucking love that entire film...

I do hope Black finds a good balance between the insane over-the-top cool action that he is able to do so well, and the smaller, unique, moments and interactions...

I agree that Russo should be killed off early on...or at least kidnapped so that she's out of the picture for the most part...then, right when Riggs is about to save her, she blows up or something...

So Mel can be Ransom crazy whilst trying to find her/save her...
Then he can go Lethal Weapon crazy for the last 45 revenge-fueled minutes of pure mayhem and madness...

I want it to go back to being a buddy-cop film...
Lethal Weapon, in my opinion, is THE Buddy-Cop Film...
And eventually they will stop making these films...
I think they should make it like it's gonna be the last one...

But instead of making it bigger and bigger with more and more characters, just make it the ultimate buddy-cop film...
They have a chance to de-construct the buddy-cop genre whilst taking it to a new level...
But in the end, the main focus, has got to be Riggs & Murtaugh...
Gimme 2+ Hours of them bantering with each other and fucking up everybody else and I'll be happy...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:Kill his wife and kid off at the beginning, and watch the ensuing madness.

Lethal Weapon 5: Punisher 3
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:28 am

Alright, here's the proof Woody Allen needs to take over as Leo Getz!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=63apZAzH0yA
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby buster00 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:42 am

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:57 am

Why is Conan O'Brien on the box?
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:09 pm

That's not Conan O'Brien, that's the Titty Burglar. It even says so on the box.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ChaoticMoira on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:49 am

I love Lethal Weapon, but I am not so sure I would classify myself as "jazzed" about another one or anything. However I would go see it.

It is one of those things in which, on one hand I am thinking, "For fucks sakes all ready"! How much are these boys gonna go through? And then on the other hand, What the fuck does that matter, it is Lethal Weapon, and non of it is suppose to be realistic in the first place, it is a movie.

I would most likely enjoy it. So if it happens, well, cool.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:15 am

LW1 was full of action, pathos, and dark humor. I loved it.

LW2 was full of action and humor. I loved it.

LW3 had some okay action, but too much humor. It was all right.

LW4 had some cool action (but not enough, IMO), and way too much silly stuff. It was all right.

They need to dial back the silly and get back to the action and thrills of the first two films if they do indeed decide to make another one.

But really, the 4th one went out on enough of a high note to end the series respectably. They probably shouldn't tempt fate.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:27 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:That's not Conan O'Brien, that's the Titty Burglar. It even says so on the box.

Since when does Conan O'Brian call himself "Titty Burglar"? Did I miss an episode or two?
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:14 am

they are both retired. Murtough(sp?) spending his days fishing on his boat. Riggs doing the husband and stay-at-home dad thing, Russo still working. she is working on a case going after an organized crime organization and gets whacked. Riggs goes all........Riggs, gets Murtough to help him, and retaliates. then his kid is taken. then he goes all Ransom, finds out that Pesci helped the bad guys, and kills him in the process of saving his son and taking down baddies, but is killed himself, leaving Murtough to raise his kid.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:27 pm

Lethal Weapon 5: The Revenge of Sugartits........

In all seriousness, this series has run its course. Not to mention I still have trouble with seeing Mel Gibson's face without hearing his anti-semitic rant in my mind and how in the course of one alcohol soaked night, he became a national punch line. As far as I'm concerned, the series should've ended with 3. Four was unnecessary, especially given that Jet Li and Joe Pesci didn't throw down in it. I was just waiting for Joe to come in and save them from being burned to death by whacking Jet with a baseball bat. The scene also didn't work for me cause if Jet's character was so sadistic, why didn't he just cover them with the lighter fluid also, insuring that they'd burn too. I have a sad feeling that this will end badly. Tragically bad......... Gone Fishin bad.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 am

From /film: Lethal Weapon 5 Waits on Mel Gibson’s Approval
In August it was revealed that Shane Black was working on a screenplay for Lethal Weapon 5. When news hit earlier this week that Black had signed on to direct Cold Warrior for Universal, we assumed that the momentum for a new Lethal Weapon film had died. Entertainment Weekly reveals that producer Joel Silver is waiting on series star Mel Gibson’s approval of Black’s treatment for the fifth film. Apparently, the story introduces a new pair of young NYPD police officers, and Silver needs Gibson’s approval before moving forward. And Black still intends to direct the fifth film in the series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:59 am

havocSchultz wrote:It's been revoked...

IPAMPILASH!!! Man, that got me. I loved that line, and here, the comic timing was perfect.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:54 am

Best Topic Name EVER!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:42 am

Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby travis-dane on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:51 am

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:And away we go:
http://movies.ign.com/articles/916/9167 ... Sid=916725

Do it Shane!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 pm

I just want to say that every time I see the title of this thread, I think "Fugar Fits" (even though it's not even spelled that way)... anyhoo...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:24 am

Brutal.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Lethal Weapon: 5

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Fucking reboot time then. My pick:
Eric Bana as Riggs
Chiwetel Ejiofor as Murtaugh.

Fuck retirement, there both crazy.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Jake Busey as Mr. Joshua
B.D. Wong as Endo
Rihana as Rianne Murtaugh
Jon Hamm as General McAllister
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:33 pm

"Jesus Roger I've got another Daughter."
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Bloo on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:35 pm

I could actually see them pulling a remake route

and that is the best idea for a cast that would get me to go
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:45 pm

MAKE IT NOW!

First day of shooting with Glover = holyfuckinguncomfortable.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Re: Lethal Weapon Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:53 pm

HEAT VISION EXCLUSIVE:
'Lethal Weapon,' 'Wild Bunch' Reboots Revived After Warner Bros. Exec Shuffle
Borys Kit wrote: Are you ready for a Lethal Weapon reboot? How about a remake of The Wild Bunch?

Those are some of the few high-profile titles now getting a new lease on life at Warner Bros. due to the year-end departure of longtime studio executive Jessica Goodman. During her 13-year tenure, the executive vp oversaw such projects as Watchmen, Training Day and the upcoming Green Lantern. Since her departure, the studio’s top brass has reassigned her portfolio among several other execs.

In the file were long-in-development remakes of The Dirty Dozen and Oh, God, as well as Tarzan -- titles that have been active in recent years but haven’t come together with the right talent to score the elusive green light. Also in the mix are a reboots of the Mel Gibson-Danny Glover franchise Lethal Weapon, as well as remakes of Westworld and The Wild Bunch.

The properties will now get fresh and hungry eyes -- and talent agents are already chatting up the potential projects and listing clients they can pitch for directing or writing gigs.

Will any of the library titles get fast-tracked? Here’s our take on the big questions the studio needs to consider:

* Lethal Weapon: What was considered an “event” movie in the late 1980s seems almost quaint in 2011 (no matter how awesome the first two movies are). The concept is essentially a police procedural featuring a mismatched pair of detectives. The chemistry between Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, coupled with Richard Donner’s direction and a sharp script from a young Shane Black, turned this into a franchise. But one wrong move and it could have been Tango and Cash or Cop-Out. The studio would need to make a risky bet on casting -- Jeremy Renner in the Gibson role? -- and recruit a hot action director to make this feel fresh. And even though the temptation might be to go big-budget (Warners likes to go big), perhaps a smaller, grittier Weapon might re-establish its credibility.

* Westworld: Here’s a remake that could actually benefit from a 21st Century dusting. MGM first produced this Michael Crichton-penned movie back in 1973 and Warners has been trying to remake it since the 1990s. Technology alone is almost reason enough to remake it. But what makes it appealingly remake-able is that Westworld’s story is based on a big idea: a robot attraction at a theme park that turns on its visitors. With Transformers making billions for Paramount and DreamWorks, Warners could use a big-idea robot movie to sell around the world.

* The Wild Bunch: How can the studio even consider remaking the Sam Peckinpah Western classic? Two words: True Grit. Many weren’t happy that the Coen Brothers were doing a new adaptation but the Western has turned into the duo’s biggest hit ($129 million at the boxoffice and counting) and has people talking Oscar nominations. But just as True Grit required the attention of top filmmakers with a distinct point of view, the same goes for a movie as seminal as Wild Bunch. Warners couldn’t hire a journeyman scribe for the project. They would need to lure an A-list filmmaker who really, really wants to do it. Danny Boyle hasn’t tacked a Western, has he? What would Aaron Sorkin dialogue sound like if delivered in cowboy hats?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:37 pm

you know, that shit about saying WB should remake "Westworld" so they can have their own robot movie to counteract "Transformers" is the kind of creatively bankrupt market-based bullshit mentality that produces so much of the drivel that comes out of Hollywood...that author should be taken out and flogged for using it as a legit motivation :twisted:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Lethal Weapon Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 am

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
Warner Bros Sets 'Gangster Squad' Scribe For 'Lethal Weapon' Franchise Reboot
MIKE FLEMING wrote:Warner Bros and producer Joel Silver have set Will Beall to write Lethal Weapon, with a take that will relaunch the buddy cop series with a new cast. Beall, a former LA police officer who patrolled South Central and wrote the novel L.A. Rex, has seen his stock rise at the studio because of his script Gangster Squad, the period crime drama about an elite crime squad that fought against organized crime kingpins like Mickey Cohen. Zombieland helmer Ruben Fleischer has come aboard to direct that film.

Warner Bros has been messing around for some time with Lethal Weapon 5, with a treatment written by original scribe Shane Black. The plan was to bring the original team back, but schedules didn't match up and Mel Gibson's image has taken a self-inflicted beating. Beall pitched a take that maintains the tone of the original--a hard R-rated edgy street cop movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:24 am

I vote FUCK NO times infinity +1

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:38 am

Slag off Lethal Weapon 5 (Shane Black, how could you? You hypocrit) and the remake as much as you want. But you all know you'll go and see it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Next

Return to Movie News