The future of music?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The future of music?

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:34 pm

Re-creating great performances

Could this be the future of listening to music in the home? Everyone could have their master musician play their favourite piece, all in the living room...giving more people the chance to experience some of best performances recorded.

Or is it wrong to attempt to change a musician's work into a digital double?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The future of music?

Postby minstrel on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:53 pm

This is kind of silly to me. Even the finest musicians change their performances each time they play a piece. That's what "live performance" is all about. It might not be noticeable to most listeners in the classical realm, but in most other forms of music (rock, jazz, blues, etc.) improvisation is the essence of the music, and each performance is SUPPOSED to be a new creative experience. There is nothing saying that a given recording is the "definitive" performance, or the best performance, of a piece of music. While it's an interesting intellectual exercise to try to reproduce some old performance exactly, it certainly does not qualify as "the future of music". I think most musicians, and listeners, would laugh at that notion.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:08 pm

minstrel wrote:This is kind of silly to me... I think most musicians, and listeners, would laugh at that notion.

I fart in its general direction.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 pm

It just reminds me of them old time automated piana's that get kicked into life during cheesy western punchups.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Return to Music