Sons of Anarchy

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Sons of Anarchy

Postby Peven on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:25 pm

it is TV pilot season, folks, and not only did HBO premier "True Blood" last night, FX premiered a nice biker-gang series in the spirit of "The Shield" and "The Sopranos" called "Sons of Anarchy". it has a hell of a fucking cast, where almost everybody is somebody. including Hellboy himself and Peg Bundy as his bitch. and she is an evil fucking bitch, let me tell you. i really enjoyed it
check out the website for the skinny

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/soa/#Nav/Homepage
Last edited by Peven on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Sons of Anarchy

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:25 pm

You had me at Hellboy Meets Peg Bundy........
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby instant_karma on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Just finished watching the first episode. Could definately be worth sticking with.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Kurt Sutter mofo's, thats all I needed to know before I watched this.

Pilot was okay, got lots of room for improvement and tonnes of potential.

I'm going to keep watching until it ends, is cancelled or until it becomes obvious that the show isn't going to achieve it's potential
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby VegasRon on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:35 am

John-Locke wrote:Kurt Sutter mofo's, thats all I needed to know before I watched this.

Pilot was okay, got lots of room for improvement and tonnes of potential.

I'm going to keep watching until it ends, is cancelled or until it becomes obvious that the show isn't going to achieve it's potential

quoted for an inability to put it any better than this.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:13 am

I came across this show last night. No idea how many episodes in this season is, but I pretty much followed along with what was going on.

I was mildly interested, but I don't think I'll be coming back for more. The notion that this gang "has a heart" and sense of justice just doesn't fly with me. There tough asses. They beat people up. In this episode, they hunt down and fuck up a rapist. SPOILER: yes we find out that ultimately Ron Perlman's decision to go after the rapist was more than just altruistic
And what the hell is the Scottish guy doing there!?

Not good. Not bad. 5/10

P.S. I already thought up the best ending for this show, if it lasted a few years: the young buck in the gang (forget his name at the moment) turns out to be an undercover FBI agent, and turns in the whole gang.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby instant_karma on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 am

Just caught the 3rd episode of this. I'm really enjoying what it's doing so far.
instant_karma

Postby Snow Apple on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:34 am

I can't stop watching and not just because the main guy is pretty. Are bikers really this evil? Is there going to be some cheesy story to explain that cleavage scar? What is that Scottish guy doing there? And Mark Boone Junior?
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby VegasRon on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 am

Snow Apple wrote:I can't stop watching and not just because the main guy is pretty. Are bikers really this evil? Is there going to be some cheesy story to explain that cleavage scar? What is that Scottish guy doing there? And Mark Boone Junior?

Outlaw biker gangs are actually worse, though actual killings are pretty rare. I think it's kind of funny that they don't deal drugs, cuz the group they're based on, the Hells Angels, are one of the biggest organized distributers of crystal meth on the West Coast. I guess that would have been a bit too much, even for F/X. Great Britain has a pretty large Hells Angels chapter, as does Australia and Canada, so fuzzy foreigners living in the US is quite possible. Plus, the actor, Tommy Flanagan, makes a good outlaw biker with his Joker-smile. As for Mark Boone, Jr., well, he's the one that most closely resembles the average outlaw biker.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:59 am

Isn't the chest scar explained by some hereditary heart condition that her son and grandson also had to have fixed?

I'm still watching this show but I don't know why as they really are deplorable characters, burning that guys Tattoo off was really fucking evil.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:07 am

John-Locke wrote:Isn't the chest scar explained by some hereditary heart condition that her son and grandson also had to have fixed?

I'm still watching this show but I don't know why as they really are deplorable characters, burning that guys Tattoo off was really fucking evil.

They gave him a choice and he had a number of years to get it removed surgically

ok, yeah it was really evil but like you I'm still watching this show and enjoying it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Droncz92 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:08 pm

I dunno but I am really getting into this show, any news if it has been picked up for a 2nd season?
Droncz92
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby instant_karma on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Droncz92 wrote:I dunno but I am really getting into this show, any news if it has been picked up for a 2nd season?

Not that I know of, but I really hope it gets another season. I'm really enjoying it.
instant_karma

Postby John-Locke on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:22 pm

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Droncz92 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Charlie Hunham (spelling?) is awsome, never really knew it was him until I saw his name...I first saw him in Green Street Hooligans, he does a pretty good english accent.
Droncz92
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Well he is English.

However he's a Geordie (from Newcastle in the North) and his cockney accent was one of the worst I've ever heard, his accent sounded like some weird Gypsy/Irish/Australian hybrid accent to me, Dick Van Dyke must be proud.

He does a good American accent though, not sure it sounds particularly Californian though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Snow Apple on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:33 am

I'm from California and I totally thought he was from here. I was shocked to learn he was English, but oh so happy because now he's even more appealing. What does a Californian accent sound like?
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 am

I don't know that I like SOA all that much. It seems to me that The Shield uses all of the extra language and violence that FX can show to really enhance its story, whereas Sons of Anarchy was created just to show that FX can show extra language and violence.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby instant_karma on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:16 am

Just watched the season finale. It leaves everything nicely poised on a knife edge. Season 2 cant get here soon enough for me.
instant_karma

Postby Bloo on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:27 am

instant_karma wrote:Just watched the season finale. It leaves everything nicely poised on a knife edge. Season 2 cant get here soon enough for me.

I missed quite a bit of the finale, I need to revisit the whole series back to back but from what I remember yeah the finale set things up nicely for season 2
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Anyone else still watching this? Season 2 has been a massive improvement over the first. The White Supremacist stuff has been very well handled, I still can't believe what they did to Peg Bundy though :shock:
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 pm

I stopped watching because they are so merciless I couldn't take it. What did they do to Peg Bundy????
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:57 pm

She got beaten then gang raped by Henry Rollins and two other masked Fascists
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:46 pm

yeah the White Supremist stuff has been a good addition, putting SamCro in the position of not quite hero not quite villian, Arkin and Rollins have been great additions and that whole storyline feels more organic then last seasons crooked DEA/ATF agent.

Also episode 2 or 3 with Tom Arnold as the smut producer dude was good stuff as well
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Snow Apple on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:40 am

Man I love Henry Rollins and Tom Arnold. Maybe I'll get tougher or find a dependable chest to turn into by the time it comes out on DVD so I can watch.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Bloo on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 pm

go for it Snow, it's worth it I think
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Determinator on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:12 pm

I gotta start watching this. They film it in my backyard practically!
Determinator
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:43 am

How brilliant was this weeks episode? I think this has suddenly become one of the best shows on TV at the moment, considering how mediocre it was at the start I think there is a big lesson to be learned regarding giving shows a chance to find their feet. Kurt Sutter FTW!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:46 am

Interesting, I've tried the pilot and was pretty bored, do I need to watch all the episodes or can I just jump in from the start of the second season?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:55 am

No, you need to watch them all as the show is predominantly character driven, the relationships change so much you'd need to know the context. Unfortunately it did take a good few episodes for me to get into it but it is well worth the effort. It's not as good as The Shield but it's similar, you end up rooting for characters that are basically scum with their own moral code.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:39 pm

yeah the pilot was slow but it really picks up and the 2nd season is great but you really do have to watch it from the beginning to understand things
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:01 pm

A friend of mine lent me his season 1 DVDs of this show so I'm going to give it a shot. Been hearing nothing but good things about SoA, plus I need a filler til some of my other shows start up in 2010.
Maui
WoWie

Postby John-Locke on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:30 pm

That Finale was EPIC and BADASS!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:34 pm

John-Locke wrote:That Finale was EPIC and BADASS!

yeah it was, just awesome
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm

How funny was Stephen King this week as "The Cleaner"?

The season so far, three episodes in is dragging a bit, I want a bit more momentum but I still like the show, soap-opera elements and all.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby travis-dane on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am

John-Locke wrote:How funny was Stephen King this week as "The Cleaner"?

The season so far, three episodes in is dragging a bit, I want a bit more momentum but I still like the show, soap-opera elements and all.

Hale's death was a surprise.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:54 pm

travis-dane wrote:

Yeah, it was. Never saw that coming. Kinda sucks though because I was starting to like him, even though he was the female DEA agent's bitch.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby travis-dane on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:58 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
travis-dane wrote:

Yeah, it was. Never saw that coming. Kinda sucks though because I was starting to like him, even though he was the female DEA agent's bitch.

I like how they use this to discredit the SOA in the public eye. The SOA is only worth a damn if they can "protect" Charming. Right now, they are on a bad downward spiral and everybody wants to get rid of them.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 pm

travis-dane wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
travis-dane wrote:

I like how they use this to discredit the SOA in the public eye. The SOA is only worth a damn if they can "protect" Charming. Right now, they are on a bad downward spiral and everybody wants to get rid of them.

Just wait until some terrorists or circus folk roll into town. Then they'll be crying for SamCro's help then!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Look, I love this show and all... but what the fuck is wrong with Ally Walker's face?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby travis-dane on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:06 am

MasterWhedon wrote:Look, I love this show and all... but what the fuck is wrong with Ally Walker's face?

van Damme.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 pm

travis-dane wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Look, I love this show and all... but what the fuck is wrong with Ally Walker's face?

van Damme.

Ive just recently started watching this, and whipped through 3 seasons in the last 3 weeks or so. (Season 3 finale tonight, so looking forward to that).
Mainly due to the fact that my fiance seems to be in love with a good chunk of the male cast, particularly Jax, Lem (from the shield) and TIG???!!!??? Cant get my head around that last one, but hey ho. She went with a freak like me, so I suppose I shouldnt be too surprised at other dubious fascinations. I am looking forward to being caught up, so I can get back to skyrim a little.

I quoted the Ally Walker comment because its all me and Mrs X talk about whenever she is on screen, her whole body language, mannerisms and expressions are freaky. Almost like she is filmed via stop motion.

Im loving the show, but it truly is populated by a bunch of evil dumb people. Thats not a complaint, as it has me laughing at bad decision after bad decision.
One example was Opie needing to carve the Anarchy logo on the wife killer stooge they rustled up. To avoid gang wars, Jax shot it into oblivion, then left the body as if the 9'ers had done it.
So the Mayans go apeshit, and the 9'ers come to the Sons for guns, because "we didnt do it, it must have been the mexicans killing one of their own and framing it on us" while Clay just went "Urrr hurrrrm, that will be what happened" Its not exactly an Occams Razor thought process on behalf of the 9'er leader. Hilarious.

Been enjoying the Oirland escapades, but also some mirth to be found there too, with some of the accents. Titus Wellivers accent is sooooo good, particularly when he is shouting. It just loses any real link to a human linguistic form, and im very happy that he shouts a lot.

Anyhoo, im glad this thread didnt run over into season 3 end or 4 spoiler territory, so I can go in fresh.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Return to Coaxial