The Wrestler

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Wrestler

Postby tapehead on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:28 am

Plotline from twitch.com
A once hugely successful professional wrestler in the late 80’s, Randy “The Ram” Robinson now ekes out a living performing for diehard wrestling fans in high school gyms and community centers around New Jersey. Estranged from his daughter, unable to sustain any real relationships, Randy lives for the thrill of the show, the adrenalin rush of combat and the adoration of his remaining fans.

But, when he suffers a heart attack in the middle of a bout, Randy’s doctor tells him he needs to lay off the steroids and stop wrestling. For good.

Forced out of show business, Randy begins to evaluate the state of his life. He tries to reconnect with his daughter and strikes up a wary romance with an ageing stripper, Pam. For a while, things work out. But try as he might to resist, the pull of the spotlight is too much for him and Randy attempts once again to fight his way back into the ring.

I really hadn't heard much regards this before, and couldn't find previous mention here, but if nothing else the above and these pics have got me hooked in - Rourke and Tomei look pretty stunning;

Last edited by tapehead on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: Darren Aranofsky's 'The Wrestler'

Postby travis-dane on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:54 am

I am looking forward to this for some time now.
They use some great Wrestling talent from RoH for the movie.
The plot outline sounds like a Jake"the Snake" Roberts bio.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Re: Darren Aronofsky's 'The Wrestler'

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:06 am

tapehead wrote:

I like the realism they seem to be going for...

I know Necro Butch...
And he does suck a studly dick like the sign so eloquently states...

And Rourke looks like any other beaten, bloodied, wrestler in that pic...
Which is a good thing...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:50 am

I'm sure there were a topic for this already, as I remember talking about how they got Afa The Wild Samoan to train Mickey Rourke.

Aronofsky is also making a film called "The Fighter"....not sure if they are connected.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:43 pm

so cool. Mickey Rourke looks great for this role, and has the acting chops made for it, imo. and Marissa Tomei as a stripper?? could be considered a sign of a higher power at work

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Terminator on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:17 am

Fuck ROH.

This movie has Ernest 'The Cat' Miller! I'M THE GREATEST!

Blood Runs Cold.
Terminator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby travis-dane on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:10 am

Terminator wrote:Fuck ROH.

Blood Runs Cold.

HAHAHA!"The Cat"......
Where is Glacier when you need him?

-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:59 pm

I constantly keep forgetting this movie is coming out.

I always seem to get it in my head that after The Fountain Aranofsky's just been running around trying to get in on various remakes/reboots.

I'll definately see this eventually, whether it's in the cinema or not depends on what it's up against, there's bigger fish on my plate this fall.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:53 am

Holy shit. I need to see this...RIGHT NOW!

Beware SPOILERS!!!!!

Mr Beaks wrote:Brooklyn-bred Darren Aronofsky has gone to New Jersey and made his NEBRASKA. As spare and haunting as Bruce Springsteen's acoustic masterwork, Aronofsky's THE WRESTLER is less reinvention than refinement: the relentless self-destruction of mind and body depicted in PI and REQUIEM FOR A DREAM has merged with THE FOUNTAIN's search for spiritual grace, while his audacious technique has been abandoned for a naturalistic approach that recalls the independent American cinema of the 1970s and 80s. This mostly suits Robert Siegel's straightforward narrative of a past-his-prime professional wrestler's fumble for redemption, but it emphatically agrees with Mickey Rourke, who owns the film as the breaking-down Randy "The Ram" Robinson.
Though the opening credits' combo of Pro Wrestling Illustrated clippings and Quiet Riot gets the film off to a raucous start, this exuberance evaporates once the tableau shifts to an elementary school classroom, where fortysomething Ram - dyed-blond tresses flowing and muscles almost rippling - girds for staged combat. It's an ignominious setting for a warrior, but the gymnasiums of the New Jersey school system appear to be the only venue left for grapplers of Ram's era; and while he appears to be in better physical shape than most of his contemporaries (i.e. he lacks the unflattering flab-to-muscle ratio of lifers like Ric Flair or Dusty Rhodes), that heavy, persistent cough is not a harbinger of happy things.

And yet Ram gamely goes through the motions for his remaining, hopelessly nostalgic fans, trading chops and elbows and clotheslines with a random "heel" until it's time to take to the top rope and deliver his finishing move, the "Ram Jam". This over-rehearsed spectacle may require Ram to draw his own blood (he heightens the drama by furtively slicing open his forehead with a razor blade - a common practice in the pro wrestling trade), but he's not complaining; this is the life he's chosen, and he's too far entrenched to be wishing for better now. Sure, he's got a dead-end puppy-dog crush on an aging stripper who works under the handle "Cassidy" (Marisa Tomei, every bit Rourke's equal), can barely pay his rent, and injects untold amounts of steroids into his body to stave off the sag; all that said, he seems to have made his peace with these minor disappointments. Besides, there's a big payday coming in a twentieth-anniversary rematch with his old nemesis The Ayatollah; as long as "Bob's willing to dust off the ol' turban", retirement, and god knows what else, can wait for another year or so.

But then, after a particularly brutal match (which builds from innocent face slapping to actual assault with a staple gun), Ram's heart gives out. Suddenly, his reckless regimen of steroids and booze is untenable; if there's any other way to make a living, Ram has got to find it soon or face the abyss. But first he must find a reason to live, which leads to an clumsy play for Cassidy's affections (she's more comfortable with Ram as a customer) and a disastrous attempt at reconnecting with his estranged daughter, Stephanie (Evan Rachel Wood). It's in the reproachfulness of the latter that we're forced to square the affable, ingratiating Ram with the absent, unlikable father who turned Stephanie into a bitter young woman. For reasons that become clear later in the film, Ram stopped caring once the '80s concluded, and, rather than move on, he's opted to cling to his glory years. This is why he still rocks the hair-band locks and enters the ring to Quiet Riot's "Bang Your Head (Metal Health)"; but he's got to put all of that away for good if he's to successfully reconcile with Stephanie.

If Siegel's screenplay has a weakness, it's in the father/daughter dynamic, which is hampered in the early going by rote dialogue and shopworn situations. It's creaky, but Rourke and Wood finally elevate the material in a pivotal scene at a deserted boardwalk; watching tough-guy Rourke blink away tears as Ram begs forgiveness for wrecking Stephanie's childhood is doubly painful because it feels as if the actor is seeking atonement for his own mistakes (many of which have been permanently beaten into his face after a midlife go a professional boxing). For moviegoers who fell in love with the potential of Rourke via DINER or THE POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE, this is heartbreaking stuff - especially since the actor's career peaked during the same decade in which Ram essentially stopped living. When Ram tells Cassidy, "I hated the fucking '90s", Rourke's performance becomes a confession (look to the IMDb to relive the missteps). And when he turns on the old charm while working a dreary shift at a supermarket deli counter, connecting with customers as he dishes out crummy-looking potato salad, it ascends to revelation. Where's this guy been for the last twenty years?

THE WRESTLER occasionally flirts with sentimentality, but Clint Mansell's understated score resists such temptation; he reflects mood rather than dictate it. Still, even when Aronofsky is nudging into uncomfortably mawkish territory, it feels like a ruse; the bottom just has to drop out at some point, right?. It does, but unlike the conclusions of PI or REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, there's exhilaration here. Ram may be gored on the horns of a losing proposition, but at least he's left with the dignity of choice: on his knees or off the top rope. It's a beautiful gesture, and it's the beginning of THE WRESTLER's claim to greatness. Smash to black. Then Springsteen. Acoustic Springsteen. Still at the end of every hard earned day, people find some reason to exist.

Faithfully submitted,

Mr. Beaks

Source
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:44 am

That does sound good (although I skipped a few of the middle chapters for fear of spoilers).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:43 am

travis-dane wrote:
Terminator wrote:Fuck ROH.

Blood Runs Cold.

HAHAHA!"The Cat"......
Where is Glacier when you need him?

Yet another wrestler with actual talent who had his career destroyed by WCW.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Darren Aronofsky's 'The Wrestler' - Now w/ Spoilery Review

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:55 am

/film has posted a video interview with Aronofsky and movie clips here: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/05/early-buzz-and-video-clip-darren-aronofskys-the-wrestler/
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:49 pm

I just returned from seeing The Wrestler at the Chicago International Film Festival. I will try and compose some thoughts for you fine folks.

First, I should say that my favorite Aronofsky film is The Fountain. That movie floored me and continues to be one of my absolute favorite films in recent memory. I am also an enormous wrestling fan. I don't watch every week like I used to, but I keep up as best I can. My little brother, on the other hand, watches every week and was conflicted about going to the screening because it meant missing Smackdown! He wore an HBK hoodie to the film.

Needless to say, I loved it. It wasn't as good as The Fountain, but I honestly can't fault it for that. However, it is a really touching film. The plot is nothing new. It didn't need to be. It was told expertly, with superb directing, acting, and Clint's score. (His score for The Fountain is one of the only modern scores I have purchased) I have a few issued with the film, but none that detract too much from the overall experience. Most importantly, this film gets wrestling right. The action, the language, the fans, the venues. The opening scene with The Ram getting ready in what looks like a kindergarden class. That is exactly what circuit wrestling looks like.

9/10
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:39 pm

Cant wait to see this. The theme of this movie is something Ive seen up close at local indy shows. A former great kinda irking out something of a living after his star has faded. I belive that a lot of the stuff was filmed inconjunction with Ring of Honor, so hopefully some of that talent makes it on screen.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:30 am

bastard_robo wrote:Cant wait to see this. The theme of this movie is something Ive seen up close at local indy shows. A former great kinda irking out something of a living after his star has faded. I belive that a lot of the stuff was filmed inconjunction with Ring of Honor, so hopefully some of that talent makes it on screen.

You see A LOT of talent on screen. My little brother kept going nuts for all these different guys.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Cant wait to see this. The theme of this movie is something Ive seen up close at local indy shows. A former great kinda irking out something of a living after his star has faded. I belive that a lot of the stuff was filmed inconjunction with Ring of Honor, so hopefully some of that talent makes it on screen.

You see A LOT of talent on screen. My little brother kept going nuts for all these different guys.

Please tell me that Kevin Steen and El Generico show up!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:48 am

Mori's glowing review is in

Personally, Aronofsky's hit or miss with me, but this sounds really good.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:39 am

Peven wrote:so cool. Mickey Rourke looks great for this role, and has the acting chops made for it, imo. and Marissa Tomei as a stripper?? could be considered a sign of a higher power at work

Sold!!!!!
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Mori's review just makes me want to see it even more now!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:16 pm

Is there no trailer for this anywhere? :(
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:30 pm

This clip was the closest thing I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_NpL40TS8U
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks Ribbons... the clip's not bad, but I'll wait for the trailer before forming any sort of early opinion.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 pm

I caught a screening of this last weekend with a Q&A afterward with the writer, Robert D. Siegel. The long and short of it is, if this isn't the best movie of the year it's in the top three. Everybody else is rightly singing its praises so I won't bore you with more of the same, but if you're on the fence on this one, get the F off and onto the "see it" side. See it for Mickey Rourke. See it for Aronofsky directing "outside" of himself. See it for Marissa Tomeii, so unflinchingly naked throughout it will make your jaw drop. See it because it's going to be nominated for Best Picture and it damn well deserves to be. See it because--oh, for the love of God, just see it.

10/10
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I caught a screening of this last weekend with a Q&A afterward with the writer, Robert D. Siegel. The long and short of it is, if this isn't the best movie of the year it's in the top three. Everybody else is rightly singing its praises so I won't bore you with more of the same, but if you're on the fence on this one, get the F off and onto the "see it" side. See it for Mickey Rourke. See it for Aronofsky directing "outside" of himself. See it for Marissa Tomeii, so unflinchingly naked throughout it will make your jaw drop. See it because it's going to be nominated for Best Picture and it damn well deserves to be. See it because--oh, for the love of God, just see it.

10/10

Good to see you back Whedon!

Im hoping that your praise will ring true!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:21 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Is there no trailer for this anywhere? :(

From Variety: Trailer Preview: The Wrestler
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Cue:

TRAILER in glorious quicktime @ apple!

It really is a beautiful film. Everything they say about it is true.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Cue:

Wow. Just...wow. I'm tearing up over here. I might have to wait to see this on DVD for fear of embarrassment from crying in a movie theater :P
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:48 pm

so sorry wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Cue:

Wow. Just...wow. I'm tearing up over here. I might have to wait to see this on DVD for fear of embarrassment from crying in a movie theater :P

Yup this is going to be like a feature length version of Johnny Cash' Hurt music video. I'm going too have "something in my eye" the whole way through.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:26 pm

I don't know if I've ever gotten emotional over a trailer. Until now. That was powerful. Great stuff. Rourke is the man, obviously.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: Darren Aronofsky's 'The Wrestler' - Now w/ the Waterworks

Postby buster00 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:44 am

I find it funny (not "ha-ha" funny, but "strange" funny) that The Wrestler won the Golden Lion Award at the Biennale Venice Film Festival.

Let me explain: Here in Indiana, there's a minor wrestling circuit called WWA Bruiser Wrestling. The principal character in the outfit is a guy who calls himself "Dick the Bruiser Junior." If I'm not mistaken, he's actually the son-in-law of the late, legendary Dick the Bruiser.

Point is, before the real Bruiser died, "Junior" used to call himself "The Golden Lion."

He's a hell of a nice dude, for the record. I've known him since he used to coach (real) wrestling at a rival high school. He used to wear this enormous lion-shaped ring, made of gold with ruby eyes. Here's more about the guy.

I've been to a few of the Bruiser Wrestling shows (at school gyms and such), and they remind me of some of the trailer's highlights.

I am SO TOTALLY going to see this movie, as soon as mortally possible.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:40 am

Finally got to watch the trailer with sound. Words fail me.

Not only dose this look like just a flat out fantastic film, but I'm really happy that Im finally getting a SERIOUS wrestling film. I spent a few years going to and working around the Independant circut of wrestling in Southern California, I even tried to make a documentery showing that these guys bust their asses working for almost no pay and infront of crowds that are no bigger than an highschool talent show. My movie fell apart after a few weeks of filming but after watching the trailer for this film, Aronofsky captured the look and feel of Indy wrestling to a tee! To me, from the way this thing looks to be the finest tribute to wrestling besides what looks to be the greatest charecter piece since ROCKY.

I cant wait.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:12 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Finally got to watch the trailer with sound. Words fail me.

Not only dose this look like just a flat out fantastic film, but I'm really happy that Im finally getting a SERIOUS wrestling film. I spent a few years going to and working around the Independant circut of wrestling in Southern California, I even tried to make a documentery showing that these guys bust their asses working for almost no pay and infront of crowds that are no bigger than an highschool talent show. My movie fell apart after a few weeks of filming but after watching the trailer for this film, Aronofsky captured the look and feel of Indy wrestling to a tee! To me, from the way this thing looks to be the finest tribute to wrestling besides what looks to be the greatest charecter piece since ROCKY.

I cant wait.

I promise you Robo, you will NOT be disappointed. I just read a story about a screening of the film where Roddy Piper was in attendance with Aronofsky. After the film, a crying Piper went up and hugged Aronofsky. This is the real deal for wrestling fans.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Apparently THIS GUY absolutely loved it, too.

"This movie said what needed to be said."
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 pm

IPAMPILASH!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:11 pm

LOL. Good stuff. The sad thing is there are a lot of people out there like this guy. But hopefully, The Wrestler isn't just for guys like him, but also reaches a bit wider audience. It looks superb.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Seppuku on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:14 pm

It's probably been said quite a few times before on quite a few other forums, but when I go to see this, I'm going to pretend that it was written by Barton Fink.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:46 pm

I don't get it, although I've only seen pieces of Barton Fink. Is it because he wanted to write a screenplay for "the common man"?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Ribbons wrote:I don't get it, although I've only seen pieces of Barton Fink. Is it because he wanted to write a screenplay for "the common man"?

Oh, I haven't seen it either. I just saw a clip one time of John Turturro being grappled by John Goodman and figured, after an experience like that, I know I'd write a wrestling pic... Drawing inspiration from real-life experiences and whatnot.

Bah, I hardly ever know if people are being serious or not on here anymore! :x
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:05 pm

What's that rule about even and odd winkies?

[/consults his "Makes It All Better Booklet"]

Seriously though, I haven't seen Barton Fink (or most of it, anyway).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:01 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Finally got to watch the trailer with sound. Words fail me.

I cant wait.

I promise you Robo, you will NOT be disappointed. I just read a story about a screening of the film where Roddy Piper was in attendance with Aronofsky. After the film, a crying Piper went up and hugged Aronofsky. This is the real deal for wrestling fans.

If it made Piper cry.. thats powerful stuff right there.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: The Wrestler (Now w/ The Waterworks)

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:30 pm

If Rowdy Roddy says it's good, then I'm down - planning to see this and Benny Buttons this weekend - looks like they might end up being considered two of 08's best movies (along with the Good, The Bad and the Weird, which prolly deserves it's own thread, thanks JL)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby zillabeast on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:03 am

Fucking Phenomenal! It's nearly impossible for me to picture anyone other than Rourke holding up that Oscar. Not even Clint Eastwood.
zillabeast
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:26 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I promise you Robo, you will NOT be disappointed. I just read a story about a screening of the film where Roddy Piper was in attendance with Aronofsky. After the film, a crying Piper went up and hugged Aronofsky. This is the real deal for wrestling fans.

Wow. That's quite an endorsement. If it ever shows up in this backwater pisshole, I'll check it out.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:56 pm

The Wrestler is arguably Aranofsky's best film, certainly one of 2008's best... believe it or not I had my doubts going into this film, the trailer hadn't really had a huge effect on me... but the film is excellent.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:The Wrestler is arguably Aranofsky's best film, certainly one of 2008's best... believe it or not I had my doubts going into this film, the trailer hadn't really had a huge effect on me... but the film is excellent.

Well, did you cry or what?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Yeah, pretty much :oops: ... then I hugged a guy who looked like Aronofsky.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 pm

I finally got to watch this last night..

Hands down the best film about wrestling EVER!

Sweet Jesus was this movie on the dot when it comes to pro wrestling, and the independent scene in general. If you've never seen an independent show before in your life, or even given wrestling a thought, this movie is a must watch. Mickey Rourke just fucking nailed it to the ground with Rodney the Ram. A mixture of Hulk Hogan in greatness, and Jake the Snake Roberts in the fall from grace. A shell of a man thats trying to do his best with what little he has to work with. Aranofsky has to be a wrestling fan of some sort with the incredible accuracy in the matches alone depicted in this film.

Fantastic, but depressing film.
Last edited by bastard_robo on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:36 pm

bastard_robo wrote:I finally got to watch this last night..

Hands down the best film about wrestling EVER!

Sweet Jesus was this movie on the dot when it comes to pro wrestling, and the independent scene in general. If you've never seen an independent show before in your life, or even given wrestling a thought, this movie is a must watch. Mickey Rourke just fucking nailed it to the ground with Rodney the Ram. A mixture of Hulk Hogan in greatness, and Jack the Snake Roberts in the fall from grace. A shell of a man thats trying to do his best with what little he has to work with. Aranofsky has to be a wrestling fan of some sort with the incredible accuracy in the matches alone depicted in this film.

Fantastic, but depressing film.

Ha! Ironically, he is NOT a wrestling fan. He freely admits that. He said in an interview he just felt like this was a story that had never been told before and that he wanted to tell it. Amazing that someone that detached could make such a meticulous and accurate film. It really goes to show you the talent that he has and the level of care he exercises when he takes on a project. He tells a story and he does everything in his power to serve the characters.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:13 pm

KUDOS to Aranofsky. For someone who isnt a fan to make a movie of this caliber TRULY is a great filmaker.

The deathmatch with NECRO BUTCHER alone was fucking spot on!
Last edited by bastard_robo on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Raziel on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Interesting article from The Guardian's Film And Music section right here.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Next

Return to Movie Discussion