Dude, I can't even listen to that anymore

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Dude, I can't even listen to that anymore

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:21 pm

No, i'm not talking about music that you have been forced to listen to at work, or your kid's wiggles cd that you are hearing for the umpteenth time today. Nope. this thread is a memorial. This thread be a testament to those records that you loved. You loved em so much, that you listened to em over and over again. and then your friends liked it too, so not only are you listening to it all the time, your friends want to hear it non stop as well. You know the rest. you finally hit a point where you are just done with it. even years later when you try to go back and listen to it again, you are still totally sick of it, despite it being an amazing record. so lets take a minute to remember and immortalize those albums which you loved so much, you can never listen to em again.

well, for me, the first one that comes to mind is:

Ween - "Chocolate & Cheese"

the first ween record i ever had was pure guava. which, at first i was a little leery of, but quickly grew to obsess over. so when 1994's follow up came out, we jumped all over it. and we stayed all over it. for months and months. Never before had mine ears been so temptingly tantalized by the amazing songwriting ability of these two stoned losers. I mean, pure guava was the shit, but this was the first time it seemed like Gene and Dean decided to skewer pop music in such a disguiseable fashion. Ill never forget the first time my friends mom heard "baby bitch" she was so moved by the beauty of the music and the soft sincerity with which the lyrics are delivered. the image of her jaw dropping agape upon hearing the line "fuck you, you stinkin ass ho" will forever be etched into my databanks like a woodcarving. hey, here were two nerds that were really sticking it to everything that i thought so ludicrous. and doing it in a way that would be virtually imperceptible to anyone but those with the attention span to really sit and listen. those type of people are and have always been scarce round my neck of the woods. Needless to say ,Chocolate and Cheese was in constant rotation for months to come. I still use the record to try and make ween converts, but i dont really listen to it with the person im am trying to convert. its more like "here, take a copy of this and tell me what you think". Dont get me wrong, the record contains classic after classic. but alas, i have had my fill, and can't really go back. there are many who feel that C&C is the ween's best effort. I would have to disagree. for me, their finest hour came along with the next record on my list that i cant really listen to anymore:

Ween - "The Mollusk"

more of a concept album than chocolate and cheese, (and i use that term loosely) The Mollusk was an absolutely breathtaking tour de force for any ween fanatic. and now i see what negative dividends are payed from something like that: i cant listen to it anymore. i had a cassette copy in my walkman forEVAR! listening to it all night at work, then on my way home every night. and sure enough, as soon as i finished my walk home from work, my buddies would show up to blaze down, and they would be all "dude, put the mollusk on". ok, this record is amazing. why not listen to it again? fuck so many good songs. and such a rewarding listen as a whole. but now, i listen to live records, and when they play tracks from the mollusk, i skip em half the time, and i never put the album on anymore. sure, i can go song by song and point out every little nuance that makes me giggle and coo. but i just cant sit and listen to that record anymore. to be fair, i can listen to it more than i could chocolate and cheese, but still, this record was too good for posterity.

this last one i am posting today is yet another permanent resident in the lp graveyard. if the urge ever struck me to listen to this album again, i dont even know if i could find my way through all of the dust on top of it to actually extricate the cd.

Squirrel Nut Zippers - "Hot"

i never caught the video for "Hell" on mtv. it was one of my friends who played the track for me. i loved it, so i bought the record. now, unless you were a fan of the zippers, i know what you are probably thinking. that they are some hack, flash in the pan novelty act invented by the record companies to try and capitalize on the very short lived "swing revival". If this is in fact what you think, you are wrong. in fact to this day i get pissed when people even reference the zippers along with nu-swing, and bands like the cherry poppin daddies, and royal crown revue. those latter two were complete impostors. fuckin frauds and hacks. the squirrel nut zippers were an actual jazz band (some jazz purists might argue, but i'd argue em right back). where the other bands were trying to co-opt what they thought a particular style sounded like, the zippers were busy trying to pay homage to the artists that had influenced them to start a band like this from the get go. it will forever be a crying shame that such a bright and talented band got associated with all of these other crap acts. needless to say, every song is fantastic. from the porch at dusk, mint julep vibes of "twilight" to the frantic almost epic build up and release of "the flight of the passing fancy", there isnt a skipper on the disc. and yet again, it is that quality that ended up making it difficult to revisit the album. bumping it day and night, now, i just feel like i have heard it all one too many times. i would happily recommend the record to any that are curious, but given my druthers, i'll put on "the inevitable" or "perennial favorites". which, to be honest arent too far from retirement themselves. but yeah.

anyone else ot any records that they cant listen to anymore because they were just too damn good?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Dude, I can't even listen to that anymore

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Brocktune wrote:Image
Squirrel Nut Zippers - "Hot"

i never caught the video for "Hell" on mtv. it was one of my friends who played the track for me. i loved it, so i bought the record. now, unless you were a fan of the zippers, i know what you are probably thinking. that they are some hack, flash in the pan novelty act invented by the record companies to try and capitalize on the very short lived "swing revival". If this is in fact what you think, you are wrong. in fact to this day i get pissed when people even reference the zippers along with nu-swing, and bands like the cherry poppin daddies, and royal crown revue. those latter two were complete impostors. fuckin frauds and hacks. the squirrel nut zippers were an actual jazz band (some jazz purists might argue, but i'd argue em right back). where the other bands were trying to co-opt what they thought a particular style sounded like, the zippers were busy trying to pay homage to the artists that had influenced them to start a band like this from the get go. it will forever be a crying shame that such a bright and talented band got associated with all of these other crap acts. needless to say, every song is fantastic. from the porch at dusk, mint julep vibes of "twilight" to the frantic almost epic build up and release of "the flight of the passing fancy", there isnt a skipper on the disc. and yet again, it is that quality that ended up making it difficult to revisit the album. bumping it day and night, now, i just feel like i have heard it all one too many times. i would happily recommend the record to any that are curious, but given my druthers, i'll put on "the inevitable" or "perennial favorites". which, to be honest arent too far from retirement themselves. but yeah.

I could not agree more with this assessment. They are a fantastic band.

I sadly did get into the swing movement. But to be fair I was listening to it before it got big. And I have been listening to the big crooners and big band since I was little. My friends always thought it was strange that I would sit in the room with my grandpa and listen to Glenn Miller while he told me about how he was one of the guys waiting for him to show up on the night he disappeared...

I never really liked that album as much as the first one though. The first was awesome.

Back on topic though almost all of the nuvo swing actually makes me nauseous. I just am so tired of it because of all the other people that pimped it out wike it was going out of style. Oh and the lead singer of Royal Crown Review is a jerk off...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:05 pm

I'll third ya on the Zippers. I tried to listen to it the other day and just couldn't do it. For years I would listen to anything once or 50 times just to expand my sonic vocabulary.

The Zippers were stumbled upon one day whist wandering the ailses of a local Sam Goody. The CD was buried in the back of the catch all rock/pop section. At the time I would just randomly pick up CDs and since I already liked the Rev Horton Heat and got the vibe from the song titles it might be in the same vein why not? Instead of throwback Rockabilly I got throwback Jazz instead and loved it.

I had a few Zippers CDs and would listen to em right along with everything else on a regular basis. Then I just sorta moved on, from them to Herbie and Miles, to Medeski, Martin, & Wood, to DJ Shadow and Madlib.

I know for me I can't bring myself to put in a lot of the punk stuff I used to obsess over for hours on end without getting annoyed at the mess that alot of pop punk is. I find myself wanting more classic and experimental hip hop, old awesome guitar rock (who, led zepplin), and rev. Horton Heat.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:18 pm

King Psyz wrote:I'll third ya on the Zippers. I tried to listen to it the other day and just couldn't do it. For years I would listen to anything once or 50 times just to expand my sonic vocabulary.

The Zippers were stumbled upon one day whist wandering the ailses of a local Sam Goody. The CD was buried in the back of the catch all rock/pop section. At the time I would just randomly pick up CDs and since I already liked the Rev Horton Heat and got the vibe from the song titles it might be in the same vein why not? Instead of throwback Rockabilly I got throwback Jazz instead and loved it.

I had a few Zippers CDs and would listen to em right along with everything else on a regular basis. Then I just sorta moved on, from them to Herbie and Miles, to Medeski, Martin, & Wood, to DJ Shadow and Madlib.

I know for me I can't bring myself to put in a lot of the punk stuff I used to obsess over for hours on end without getting annoyed at the mess that alot of pop punk is. I find myself wanting more classic and experimental hip hop, old awesome guitar rock (who, led zepplin), and rev. Horton Heat.

Jimbo is such a nice guy. I used to be really into Rev. Horton Heat. Like 10 years ago when Rev would get drunk on stage and fuck his guitar. Good times...

But with the exception of the first three albums and Spend a Night in the Box I just really was disappointed. Those are another set of albums that I do not listen to anymore...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:31 pm

FANTASTIC TOPIC!

I fear to post, however, as my musical tastes and beyond mundane around these parts... I'm gonna go scan my iTunes directory and see if I can come up with anything.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 pm

I still have more fun at Rev. shows than just about any other act. P Funk and the Beastie Boys are probablly the only shows I find funner.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:09 am

King Psyz wrote:I still have more fun at Rev. shows than just about any other act. P Funk and the Beastie Boys are probablly the only shows I find funner.

Taking this to the Best concert thread
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:48 am

i never could listen to ween...

but i could look at that album cover all day.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Yeah, still one of the best album covers ever.

Just wanted to make sure everyone could see it. Again.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:34 pm

i was thinking about this last night, and it occurred to me that this thread could also be for records you cant listen to anymore, because of the intense emotional reaction they evoke. maybe it was the record that you and your ex used to make out to. or the one you were listening to when you got dumped. or maybe something you used to share with a friend or a loved one who is no longer with you or something, and listening to the album brings back all of the hurt associated with their departure.

heres another one

Korn - "korn"

ok so i never really, REALLY liked korn. today i feel like you could destroy every copy of every korn record ever, with the exception of "life is peachy" which i feel is their only truly worthwhile effort to date. it might have something to do with the major Faith No More influence on that record. anyways, i saw korn open for 311 back in like 94 or 95. i thought they were ok, so i picked up the record. it too was ok. at the time i did enjoy it quite a bit. some tracks more than others (ball tongue comes to mind), but it was fairly cool. so i started listening to it all the time. and then, i had this really bad breakup with this girl who i was waaaaay into. and her and the dude she left me for were like total korn marks. they would constantly shit their pants about how much they loved them. meanwhile, im busy plotting both of their demises. then the drug problems started, and well...... if i even try to listen to this record anymore, its instantly 1995 again, and i am having some serious emotional issues :?

im just thankful it wasnt a better record that was compromised. if that bitch had've been a mr. bungle fan, i dont even know what i would have done.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:20 pm

I cannot listen to the Doors or Sublime anymore because my neighbors at my old apartment used to listen to only those two bands 24 hours a day at high volumes...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Droncz92 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:22 pm

I cannot bear to listen to a Nirvana song, they play it too much on the radio and its just everywhere...Good band, just bored of them.
Droncz92
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Do we have a thread anywhere that is the opposite of this thread? Music you used to hate but now you love? 'Cause I have a few that should be on that list.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby primrose on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:15 am

Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Which is too bad, because it's really a good song. I blame Classic Rock radio. There should be a law or somesuch about overplaying stuff.
primrose
GLIB

Songs You've Ruined

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:03 pm

"The Procedure" starring Willem Dafoe

So, similar to the poor souls in the video above, I was wondering if there are any songs you love (or loved), but due to excessive amounts of replaying can no longer stand the sound of. Discuss!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Songs You've Ruined

Postby minstrel on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:17 pm

A corollary to this question is "Roughly how many times did you have to play that song before you realized you couldn't stand it?" Because sometimes that number for me is one. Or even a fraction.
minstrel

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:54 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Seppuku on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:18 am

I've got this whole clinical system set up, whereby I probably won't get to the same album more than a couple of times a year. Unless it's brand new, in which case I'll probably wait 'til I get a hold on it before I throw it into The Rota. It's harsh, but I burned out on enough great albums when I was younger to know it's only fo' the best.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:26 am

so sorry wrote:Dude, I can't even listen to that anymore

Same thing, n'est pa?

Il parait que oui (yeah pretty much)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:40 pm

anything by Dave Matthews. I just can't listen to it anymore.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:20 pm

I was just thinking about this because I listened to Sexx Laws by Beck the other day. Granted I haven't heard it in several months, and before that probably over a year, but I went through a phase where I would listen to it non-stop, and just thinking about it now makes me sad because I can't get into it anymore.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:01 pm

A solution I've recently discovered is tweaking old favourites using Audacity, or a similar sound editing program like Garage Band. Just gently changing up the tempo and the pitch can make it feel like a new artist doing a cover. Right now I'm listening to a languid version of Leonard Cohen's "So Long, Marianne," with Wayne Newton on vocals. The other day I had Isaac Hayes doing "Last Year's Man," and Justin Bieber taking on Frank Black and the Catholics. Seriously, playing around with the original recordings that you've come to anticipate every single inflection and scratch in can have amazing results. What was old becomes new again.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby minstrel on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:09 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:A solution I've recently discovered is tweaking old favourites using Audacity, or a similar sound editing program like Garage Band. Just gently changing up the tempo and the pitch can make it feel like a new artist doing a cover. Right now I'm listening to a languid version of Leonard Cohen's "So Long, Marianne," with Wayne Newton on vocals. The other day I had Isaac Hayes doing "Last Year's Man," and Justin Bieber taking on Frank Black and the Catholics. Seriously, playing around with the original recordings that you've come to anticipate every single inflection and scratch in can have amazing results. What was old becomes new again.

Um. eww. I'd never heard of doing this kind of thing before, and it strikes me as kind of disgusting. I can't imagine wanting to muck up a song I like and respect.

I'd be interested in knowing what others think of this kind of thing. Are you in the "Wow, that's cool!" camp, or the "Why the fuck are you fucking up that music?" camp? I'm in the latter ...
minstrel

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:49 pm

The key word in my post is "gently." You can make someone sound like a chipmunk or the devil if you go too far, or you can turn a mournful folk tune into an ugly hoedown. But you can also just change the key and alter the tempo slightly. You can keep the pitch within the vocal range of the original artist so you still recognize their voice or, going a little farther as I did with Leadbelly's "Goodnight Irene," make it sound like a woman singing. There is a way to do it delicately and unlock hidden possibilities in the recording. There's trial and error involved and not all of your creations are going to be beautiful, but as with any art you have to give yourself permission to explore and above all, permission to fail.

minstrel wrote:I can't imagine wanting to muck up a song I like and respect.

I was talking specifically about songs that we like and respect so much that we've overplayed them to the point where they're no longer magical for us. Sometimes when I hear a live version of a song I've heard the studio recording of a million times, that magic returns, even when the arrangement isn't extraordinarily different. Modern technology allows us to create these alternate versions on demand. It doesn't take a lot to push a song just outside the realm of familiarity, and recapture the spark that made you fall in love with it.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:33 am

This reminds me of an interesting article on Boing Boing Simple Python script to give your songs SWING!.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:26 pm

minstrel wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:A solution I've recently discovered is tweaking old favourites using Audacity, or a similar sound editing program like Garage Band. Just gently changing up the tempo and the pitch can make it feel like a new artist doing a cover. Right now I'm listening to a languid version of Leonard Cohen's "So Long, Marianne," with Wayne Newton on vocals. The other day I had Isaac Hayes doing "Last Year's Man," and Justin Bieber taking on Frank Black and the Catholics. Seriously, playing around with the original recordings that you've come to anticipate every single inflection and scratch in can have amazing results. What was old becomes new again.

Um. eww. I'd never heard of doing this kind of thing before, and it strikes me as kind of disgusting. I can't imagine wanting to muck up a song I like and respect.

I'd be interested in knowing what others think of this kind of thing. Are you in the "Wow, that's cool!" camp, or the "Why the fuck are you fucking up that music?" camp? I'm in the latter ...

I can dig it. It's kind of like remixes or covers of popular songs. Some of them are... less good than others, but trying seems okay.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:55 am

magicmonkey wrote:This reminds me of an interesting article on Boing Boing Simple Python script to give your songs SWING!.

Ha, nice one! Duke Ellington would be proud.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Pearl Jam. Tool. Nirvana.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:Pearl Jam. Tool. Nirvana.

Tito. LaToya. Jermaine.
minstrel

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:50 pm

minstrel wrote:

Tito. LaToya. Jermaine.

Gillette, Roxette, Ace of Base
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Tito. LaToya. Jermaine.

Livin, La vida, Loca.

Thanks a lot Shrek 2.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Tito. LaToya. Jermaine.

Livin, La vida, Loca.

Thanks a lot Shrek 2.

Man, I still love that song.

Yeah, I know. :roll:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:04 pm

I once danced to it, trying to score. Didnt work.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Hermanator X wrote:I once danced to it, trying to score. Didnt work.

So now you're trying Livin' La Vida Daddy.
minstrel

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:30 pm

haha, yeah, it all worked out for the best really. But what a young indie techno rocker kid looked like trying to seduce someone via ricky martin looked like I dont want to know.
Probably like this:

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Hermanator X wrote:I once danced to it, trying to score. Didnt work.

Your dealer is one cruel man.

congrats BTW!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:32 pm

My first DVD player, 10 years ago, did something interesting with Audio CDs. When you played them on it and then pushed the rewind button, it played them backwards, in normal speed! After discovering that, I spent weeks with listening to my CD collection that way (and trying to find hidden messages.)

EDIT: I also tried RaulMonkey's Audacitiy trick and can't sstop laughing about how different Kylie Minogue sounds, if you lower her voice 11%!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby MacCready on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:17 am

Can not listen to Cohen's Halleljuah any more, and I used to really like that song.
Fucking Shrek strikes again.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:

My first DVD player, 10 years ago, did something interesting with Audio CDs. When you played them on it and then pushed the rewind button, it played them backwards, in normal speed! After discovering that, I spent weeks with listening to my CD collection that way (and trying to find hidden messages.)

EDIT: I also tried RaulMonkey's Audacitiy trick and can't sstop laughing about how different Kylie Minogue sounds, if you lower her voice 11%!

I heard a rumour (ouch, Kyliebackcatalogueaccidentalpun), that when she was being produced by Stock, Aiken and Waterman, that it was indeed Rick Astley singing all her songs, you just have to play her 45's at 33. I did this back in the day, perhaps I was one of the first to be Rick rolled?!? Either way there is not an emoticon that weeps enough.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:54 am

magicmonkey wrote:I heard a rumour (ouch, Kyliebackcatalogueaccidentalpun), that when she was being produced by Stock, Aiken and Waterman, that it was indeed Rick Astley singing all her songs, you just have to play her 45's at 33. I did this back in the day, perhaps I was one of the first to be Rick rolled?!? Either way there is not an emoticon that weeps enough.

not even this?!?1?

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:26 am

TheBaxter wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I heard a rumour (ouch, Kyliebackcatalogueaccidentalpun), that when she was being produced by Stock, Aiken and Waterman, that it was indeed Rick Astley singing all her songs, you just have to play her 45's at 33. I did this back in the day, perhaps I was one of the first to be Rick rolled?!? Either way there is not an emoticon that weeps enough.

not even this?!?1?

Well, whaddaya know, saddawson does actually begin to capture the anguish. Both then and now.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:11 am

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

I was in my car yesterday and a Pearl Jam song came on...I listened to it for about 20 seconds and changed the channel without a thought.

I saw this thread today, and it hit me that Pearl Jam fits the bill as far as I'm concerned. Pearl Jam came on the music scene in my college days, and although I dug the whole Seattle sound, PJ was my favorite by leaps and bounds. A few years ago I decided to cull my CD collection down to a managable amount, and I got rid of all my PJ CDs except TEN (for sentimental reasons). I can't put my finger on the whys, but...dude I can't even listen to Pearl Jam anymore.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:36 pm

so sorry wrote:I was in my car yesterday and a Pearl Jam song came on...I listened to it for about 20 seconds and changed the channel without a thought.

I saw this thread today, and it hit me that Pearl Jam fits the bill as far as I'm concerned. Pearl Jam came on the music scene in my college days, and although I dug the whole Seattle sound, PJ was my favorite by leaps and bounds. A few years ago I decided to cull my CD collection down to a managable amount, and I got rid of all my PJ CDs except TEN (for sentimental reasons). I can't put my finger on the whys, but...dude I can't even listen to Pearl Jam anymore.

dude, i hear that!

i would go a step further and throw Nirvana's "Nevermind", Soundgarden's "Superunknown", and Metallica's "Black" album onto that list as well. rock radio really beat those fuckin records to death when they were new, and are still doing it. i dont even listen to radio much *coughcoughSwamihackcough* and yet if i turn on just about any of my local "rock" stations, chances are you are gonna get a song off of one of those records.

or Alice in Chains's "Dirt". they would have ruined that record too if they could have. thank god over half the tracks arent radio friendly.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Alice N Chains' 'Dirt' was the first to spring to mind. Superunknown is close.

One from the ol' college years is Phish's 'Hoist'. Man, everybody in my dorm was either a die hard fan or just discovering them w/ this album. Heard it way too many times. Still a fan and listen to them from time to time, but I can't listen to 'Hoist'.

I'd also add Bob Marley's 'Legend'. Can't really think of anything else at the moment.

A few albums I'll never get sick of include . . .

Jimi Hendrix 'Band of Gypsies' (the original, not the 2-Disc Hendrix family cash-grab w/ different performances)

Minor Threat 'Complete Discography'.

Chili Peppers 'Blood Sugar Sex Magic' (I'm sure plenty will disagree w/ that.)

The Reverend Horton Heat 'Full Custom Gospel Sound of . . . ' and 'Smoke Em if you Got Em'.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Return to Music