The Zone's 2008 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2008 Movie Journal

Postby Al Shut on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:06 am

July wasn't a bad month, finally saw a bunch of movies again, albeit not in the cinema :(

Best was Master and Commander
Worst was easiely the Fog remake, although I have no idea if it was really that nonsensical or if I just stopped paying attention somewhere in the middle.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:37 am

Al Shut wrote:July wasn't a bad month, finally saw a bunch of movies again, albeit not in the cinema :(

Best was Master and Commander
Worst was easiely the Fog remake, although I have no idea if it was really that nonsensical or if I just stopped paying attention somewhere in the middle.

It was...

Horrible ass of a movie...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Al Shut on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:05 pm

:shock: you mean there really was no good explanation for the main ghost to suddenly switch from revenge to kidknapping and turning the girl into a ghost??? That was so weird I was preety sure I must have missed something.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:54 pm

Al Shut wrote::shock: you mean there really was no good explanation for the main ghost to suddenly switch from revenge to kidknapping and turning the girl into a ghost??? That was so weird I was preety sure I must have missed something.

I've tried to block as much as possible of that film out of my mind...
I really enjoyed the original and I was almost offended by the entirety of the remake...
Almost as anger-inducing as the Black Christmas remake...

And I have no clue what happened in the ending...
By that point I think I had smoked so much weed to try and numb the pain that I ended up in a fog of my own...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:33 pm

My best and worst of the month hold true. THE DARK KNIGHT is solid. Go see it again.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:24 pm

Best Of The Month:
The Hart Of London - 10
Thoughts

Titicut Follies - 9.5
Thoughts

Yukoku (Patriotism / The Rite Of Love And Death) - 9.0
An incredibly harrowing and graphic short silent film about a disgraced man and his wife commit ritualistic suicide. What does it mean to be honorable? How do we maintain that honor? These are topics of the upmost imprtance to Mishima. You will be shocked and awed at the images on screen even knowing the eventual outcome. This harrowing story even becomes more-so as a prelude to Mishima's ultimate suicide.

Worst Of The Month:
The Mutant Chronicles - 2.5
Doomsday - 2.0
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby instant_karma on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:42 am

11 more movies added to update April and May.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:49 am

Mmmm. Not a lot to choose from for my best and worst of the month in August (you can tell football season started!).

Best goes to The Usual Suspects. Awesome awesome flick. I'm fairly certain Singer will never top it.

And worst is Under the Tuscan Sun. Just not my cup of tea, really.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Al Shut on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:13 am

Finally been to a cinema again

Best was The Oxford Murders, enjoyable and worthwhile entertainment

Worst was a Sasori remake, the ultimate proof than one shouldn't pay to see a movie just because it is there. I'm not sure what the movie wanted to be but I'm sure it failed.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:04 pm

updated my journal

Best Movies of the Month:
Juvenile Court - 9.5
Wiseman's masterpiece? A look into a juvenile criminal justice system. The audience becomes judge and jury we are allowed to make the judgments concerning these characters and their ultimate fates. Did a 15 year old male molest the young girl he was baby sitting? Wiseman shows us the flaws and the well meaning individuals who work there. Would we do better than these individuals? Are there better ways to handle these situations? Wiseman leaves it up to us to decide.

Werckmeister Harmoniak (Werckmeister Harmonies) - 9.5
From the initial 15 minute shot expertly setting up the themes of the movie to the surreal circus whale this film has a lot on it’s mind. Tarr manages to setup his entire thematic universe in this one shot. You have theses drunks being manipulated into a metaphysical situation (man made order) of the earth sun and moon (natural world order) resulting in an eclipse (madness darkness) but that sun returns once again (hope), and the presence of death and rebirth which plays out later in the film. Each character could represent different forces in Hungary’s history as well.

Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters - 9.0
A very interesting documentary on Mishima’s life and eventual suicide. Shraeder mixes a recreation of his last days, black and white flashbacks of his early life, and even different parts from his novels as representative of his life on colorful sets. Are these recreations from his novels actually representative of his life? The staging seems to show that this is only an approximation as any biopic really is only showing part of the truth about it’s subject.

Ou Git Votre Sourire Enfoui? (Where Lies Your Hidden Smile?) - 9.0
Pedro Costa’s look at filmmakers Daniele Huillet and Jean-Marie Straub while editing their film Sicilia! This was an eye opening experience for me on the process of editing and what different cuts imply in a film. Straub and Huillet talk about vary topics in the film industry and made me appreciate their thought despite never having seen one of thewir films. Their films have been added to my queue after this insightful documentary! For fans of the process of filmmaking only.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:45 pm

I haven't watched one movie in September. Work is totally dominating everything I do.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Seppuku on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Best film seen in the cinema: Probably Man On Wire, about a French Malcolm McDowell-lookalike's quest to find a purpose in life...which in his case translated to breaking into the World Trade Centre and tightrope-walking between the two buildings. If a stunt like this were to be pulled today (well...on two other towers), it'd probably be Blaineified the fuck out of and shot on fifteen cameras and broadcast across the world live. But we only get to see the final product in stills, as the guys who set this up were too busy trying not to get caught by security guards to actually film the whole thing. In fact, the whole documentary came across like more of a heist movie than anything: we get to meet the colourful crew, see a few dry runs (he tightrope walked across Notre Dame and over a motorway in Sydney) before we finally get to the break-in. But instead of risking his life for bags of loot, this guy just wanted to make his high water mark just that little bit higher than most other people's. Awesome doc.

Worst? RockNRolla by default.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 am

Seppuku wrote:Best film seen in the cinema: Probably Man On Wire, about a French Malcolm McDowell-lookalike's quest to find a purpose in life...which in his case translated to breaking into the World Trade Centre and tightrope-walking between the two buildings. If a stunt like this were to be pulled today (well...on two other towers), it'd probably be Blaineified the fuck out of and shot on fifteen cameras and broadcast across the world live. But we only get to see the final product in stills, as the guys who set this up were too busy trying not to get caught by security guards to actually film the whole thing. In fact, the whole documentary came across like more of a heist movie than anything: we get to meet the colourful crew, see a few dry runs (he tightrope walked across Notre Dame and over a motorway in Sydney) before we finally get to the break-in. But instead of risking his life for bags of loot, this guy just wanted to make his high water mark just that little bit higher than most other people's. Awesome doc.

Worst? RockNRolla by default.

Awesome movie one of the best of the year for sure!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby verdouxbrothels on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:19 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:updated my journal

A very interesting documentary on Mishima’s life and eventual suicide. Shraeder mixes a recreation of his last days, black and white flashbacks of his early life, and even different parts from his novels as representative of his life on colorful sets. Are these recreations from his novels actually representative of his life? The staging seems to show that this is only an approximation as any biopic really is only showing part of the truth about it’s subject.

I've been meaning to check this out. Have you seen Mishima's film "Patriotism" yet? It was released by Crit at roughly the same time...I'll probably snag them both together.
verdouxbrothels
GLIB

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:55 pm

verdouxbrothels wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:updated my journal

I've been meaning to check this out. Have you seen Mishima's film "Patriotism" yet? It was released by Crit at roughly the same time...I'll probably snag them both together.

Yeah just up the page I wrote:
Yukoku (Patriotism / The Rite Of Love And Death) - 9.0
An incredibly harrowing and graphic short silent film about a disgraced man and his wife commit ritualistic suicide. What does it mean to be honorable? How do we maintain that honor? These are topics of the upmost imprtance to Mishima. You will be shocked and awed at the images on screen even knowing the eventual outcome. This harrowing story even becomes more-so as a prelude to Mishima's ultimate suicide.

Two completely different but very good films.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:55 pm

A few more updates. Including my new worst film of the year: Eagle Eye.

I also have added to very cute Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I am a sucker for those types of films. It is formulaic and poorly paced, but if you are a big softie for teenage romance like me you'll leave the theatre smiling.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Best Movies Of the Month:

Vale Abraao (Abraham's Valley) - 9.5
Oliveira's exploration of Madame Bovary, is a very formal affair. Fans of period films will find much to love with the design. The real standout is Oliveiras rigid formal directing with lots of incredibly framed static shots characterizing the characters emotional distance. The actors feel like they belong in a stage play and Oliveira manipulates his characters movements to great ends. Story wise if you know Madame Bovary you know the basics but what Oliveira captures within this confine is nothing short of amazing.

The Thing - 10
One of my favorite horror movies.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:55 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:The Thing - 10

Old one or new one?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby instant_karma on Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Just got around to adding my movies from June :oops:
instant_karma

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 am

so sorry wrote:

Old one or new one?

Carpenters.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:44 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Old one or new one?

Carpenters.

That movie is a miracle.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chilli on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:36 am

Crap, I wish I'd kept up with this. Since I got back to Uni on the 20th, I've seen about twenty flicks.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:41 am

Updated my journal with the EXCELLENT Let The Right One In and the POOR W.

Honestly, Let The Right One In is gorgeous. A truly wonderful film. I can't say enough.

W., on the other hand, had these tiny glimmers of a film that could have been something special. But for the vast majority it was so completely obvious.

EDIT: Updated again with the fantastically EXCELLENT The Good The Bad The Weird. A great CIFF so far this year. Next up, The Wrestler!!!!!! Can't wait!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby O Goncho on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:11 pm

This are an cool idea is for a thread it seems. Shame I'm only now stumbling across it though, I guess I'll start weighing in with my own viewings after the remainder of 2008 snuffs it.
O Goncho
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:37 pm

I haven't got a chance to see crap recently. I've been working a ton, but I saw John Carpenter's THE THING today on my Xbox 360 Netflix thing, and I have to say that movie fucking rocks. Any other The Thing fans here?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Um... when is the new 2009 Movie Journal showing up... I want dibs on the first page. hehehehe
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:59 pm

justcheckin wrote:Um... when is the new 2009 Movie Journal showing up... I want dibs on the first page. hehehehe

Right after you log out :twisted:

But its actually a good idea...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Worst of the year has to go to "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby justcheckin on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:11 am

Why does it have to be after I log out...?

so sorry wrote:
justcheckin wrote:Um... when is the new 2009 Movie Journal showing up... I want dibs on the first page. hehehehe

Right after you log out :twisted:

But its actually a good idea...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby justcheckin on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:12 am

I don't agree... they kept it really close to the original... which I think was a good idea.

Bayou wrote:Worst of the year has to go to "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:43 am

So I just checked over/updated my '08 journal...
It appears that I've watched 103 new movies so far this year...which is 1 less than I watched in '07...

Not bad, not great...unfortunately there's still a fuckload of films I want to see this year, but there's no way I'll get them all in...all this considering I went probably almost all of August and September without watching any new movies...

I'm thinking I should be able to beat my 104 from '07 with the last week of this year...

Anybody else count/keep track of the amount of movies they watch...?
And no, I don't mean the ones that you've seen previously...just initial viewings...
Fuck me - if I kept track of all the films I watch again in a year, well then, I think we'd need a bigger boat...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby justcheckin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Well... I did worse this year. In 2007 I saw 127 first viewed movies... this year, I have only 108. I am, however, going to the movies on Tuesday but I am not going to be able to make up for almost 20 movies in a week. I was busy this fall... probably where I fell behind. I'll go for 130 in 2009. :)
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Last year I saw 240 films. This year it's only 128 (with the end of the year quickly approaching) so I don't think I'll see anything close to last year's number. I got promoted this year to offensive coordinator on our team, so I've been insanely busy. There were a few months in there when I didn't see anything at all.

I chime back in within a few days and give my best and worst of the year. (Although I have a good idea what the best will be!).
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:19 pm

My journal stood there glaring at me as a testament to ambition unfulfilled, so I drunkenly Seppukud it a month ago. Even when I tried to add to it as regularly as possible, I still ended up letting quite a few movies slip through the cracks. I know I probably saw the equivalent of a movie a day; some days I'll watch two or three in a row, some days I'll be tied up with something else and not watch any. I also saw about 40 new films in my local picture-house.

Anyway, is someone gonna start a Fave/Least Fave Movies of 2008 thread, or should we have that discussion in here? Personally I think we should start a new thread, as this thread might alienate quite a few people who didn't start/finish a journal (although something tells me Nacho might disagree with that idea :wink:). I guess you could expand the Zod manifesto to include more than just "favourite," 'cause we all know DK's got that locked already.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:35 pm

I got 4 more in... going to be busy so no movies until next year. Mwhaahahaha

GRAND TOTAL 112... not too shabby for busy me.

justcheckin wrote:Well... I did worse this year. In 2007 I saw 127 first viewed movies... this year, I have only 108. I am, however, going to the movies on Tuesday but I am not going to be able to make up for almost 20 movies in a week. I was busy this fall... probably where I fell behind. I'll go for 130 in 2009. :)
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:57 pm

So, is Nacho going to be opening the 2009 Zone's Movie Journal soon (can't help but want to be on the first page)? I tried to keep up this year and did really well until August or September.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:08 pm

Vegeta wrote:So, is Nacho going to be opening the 2009 Zone's Movie Journal soon (can't help but want to be on the first page)? I tried to keep up this year and did really well until August or September.

If these lots don't double in value in a year... I don't know what you can do about it.
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:47 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Vegeta wrote:So, is Nacho going to be opening the 2009 Zone's Movie Journal soon (can't help but want to be on the first page)? I tried to keep up this year and did really well until August or September.

If these lots don't double in value in year... I don't know what you can do about it.

Ah, much appreciated! :D
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby instant_karma on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Finally got round to finishing updating this thing. 141 movies watched for 2008, though I suspect that there may have been a couple that I forgot to include. 16 of them were ones I'd seen before, so that was 125 new movies.
Last edited by instant_karma on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
instant_karma

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Itd take too long to update but it was 452 films here.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion