What movies are you embarrassed to love?

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Maui on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:07 am

ironic name wrote:I also love White Chicks, Romy and Michelle, and dumb and dumber, and I'm watching zoolander as we speak.

Yesssssssssssssssss!!! Not much love for White Chicks in here. I own all of those you've listed.

travis-dane wrote:DAVID fucking BOWIE!

He's one musician that seems to do fairly well with the acting. Labyrinth, The Man Who fell to Earth, The Hunger, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Plus he's been doing all of this alongside his musical career. He did some great voice work too for SpongeBob Squarepants episode and for Besson's "Arthur and the Invisibles".

Love Bowie.

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on..
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:27 am

To be fair, it was Bowie's crotch that did all the acting/singing in Labyrinth...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:28 am

havocSchultz wrote:To be fair, it was Bowie's crotch that did all the acting/singing in Labyrinth...

:lol:

We need a thread musicians that also have successful acting careers.
Maui
WoWie

Postby ironic name on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:06 pm

Maui wrote:Yesssssssssssssssss!!! Not much love for White Chicks in here. I own all of those you've listed.

terry crews singing Michelle branch.. :D
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQhLLCUgFIg

http://www.terrycrewsdancing.com/
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I also want to commend Caruso on that review he wrote about The Wrong Guys: The Movie. That was some brilliant writing. I give your review four milkshakes.

I'm surprised anyone actually read that shit. But I thank you, Spandau. And drink your milkshakes.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:27 am

ironic name wrote:
Maui wrote:Yesssssssssssssssss!!! Not much love for White Chicks in here. I own all of those you've listed.

terry crews singing Michelle branch.. :D
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQhLLCUgFIg

http://www.terrycrewsdancing.com/

You are the FUCKING MAN.

In Russia, Crews EATS YOU.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ironic name on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:38 am

mein gott!
what is camacho doing to lil' chris?
ironic name

Postby travis-dane on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:33 am

In Russia OLEG eats you!
:twisted:
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:40 am

travis-dane wrote:In Russia OLEG eats you!
:twisted:

OFF TOPIC!

;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:01 am

:D
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ironic name on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:42 am

down periscope was fun,
it had hardland williams, and a tom sizemoreesque guy.
and that chick from dumb and dumber!
ironic name

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 pm

you know I have to gree with what others here have said, that you really shouldn't be embarresed to like a movie

I mean I've tried numerous times to get my friends (most of whom are younger then me) to watch Fletch or Evil Dead or something and they just can't get it and they make fun of me, but then I mock the for liking stuff I don't like The Notebook

on that note though, and this may sound blasphmsy amongst the movie geeks

I really love Fleth Lives, I actually think I've watched it more then the original Fletch
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:36 pm

I haven't seen FLETCH LIVES but I do like FLETCH. I won't say love, because it really isn't the kind of movie I can just pull off the shelf any time I feel like it. I have to be in the right mood. But, fuck, man... Chevy Chase!

"Hi. I'm John Cock...toasten."
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:41 pm

see that's how I feel about the original fleth, I mean it's a great movie, a classic and the sequel is so subpar but it's also so bizaree with his dream sequence at the beginning that is a homage to Song of the South (who would have the balls to pull that off) the Harley Davidson bits, the teleevanglist, the Phil Hartman (and I believe Jon Lovtiz) cameo, Hal Holbrook in full bizaree strange mode
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:50 pm

I thought the weirdest part of FLETCH was when he has that daydream where he's playing basketball and he's got a 'fro... where the fuck did that come from?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:58 pm

there is so much to both Fletch movies that are just out there and weird, and the movies bare absoutly no relation to the movies, in the books he's still a smartass but not so flippent and no disguises or fake names, that was all added so Chase could improv

I'm currently rereading Fletch and the Man Who right now, Fletch gets invovled in Politics!

anyways there are some really strange daydreams in the first one too, but that Song of The South homage gets to me every time
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:02 am

I'd try reading those Fletch books, but there are too many of them.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 31, 2008 4:07 pm

I just thought of another. HOT ROD. I love that movie.
caruso_stalker217

Re: What movies are you embarrassed to love?

Postby ChaoticMoira on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:15 am

You've Got Mail. :roll: If I see it on, I cannot stop myself from watching it. I tried to not like it, but I do, I do.

I try not to tell people.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby ArsonCuff on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:22 pm

I would have to say that Vanilla Sky is one of these types of guilty pleasures. Jason Lee and Tom Cruises acting along with some of the dialog is just cheesy to the max, but overall I thought it was a bold attempt at something and enjoyed it, whereas many others who feel themselves to be of higher intellect will poke fun at it.
ArsonCuff
GLIB

Re:

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:01 pm

Maui wrote:
ironic name wrote:I also love White Chicks, Romy and Michelle, and dumb and dumber, and I'm watching zoolander as we speak.

Yesssssssssssssssss!!! Not much love for White Chicks in here. I own all of those you've listed.

travis-dane wrote:DAVID fucking BOWIE!

He's one musician that seems to do fairly well with the acting. Labyrinth, The Man Who fell to Earth, The Hunger, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Plus he's been doing all of this alongside his musical career. He did some great voice work too for SpongeBob Squarepants episode and for Besson's "Arthur and the Invisibles".

Love Bowie.

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on..

Don't forget one of his better performances in the criminally underseen THE PRESTIGE.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:51 pm

And of course let's not forget his rousing performance of "Pathetic Little studly Man" on Extras.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:34 pm

The Prestige was crimminally underseen?

For a pretty bad movie it managed to get watched by everybody I know. But Bowie did give a good performance in it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Zeeboe on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:03 am

I'm a straight man and I love rock operas and musicals. I don't know how the myth that only homosexual men and straight women like musicals got started, but I don't see anything wrong with appreciating good music or being a homosexual. Anyway, some of my favorites are....

Jesus Christ Superstar - I love classic rock and the movie is basically telling the story of Christ through 70's rock and it's pretty darn awesome.

Tommy - I freaking love The Who, Elton John, and weird movies and this has all three. It's just a trippy acid hippie movie with lots of music.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Again, just another whacky and fun film.

The Phantom of the Opera - A beautiful and sad story.

Sweeney Todd - Come on, it's a horror musical. People get killed. I shouldn't feel too ashamed or unmanly about digging it.
Come step into my world if you dare...

http://www.myspace.com/planetgilson
Zeeboe
GLIB

Postby buster00 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:19 pm

ArsonCuff wrote:I would have to say that Vanilla Sky is one of these types of guilty pleasures. Jason Lee and Tom Cruises acting along with some of the dialog is just cheesy to the max, but overall I thought it was a bold attempt at something and enjoyed it, whereas many others who feel themselves to be of higher intellect will poke fun at it.

Vanilla Sky is a fine movie. Nothing to be embarassed about here.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:13 pm

buster00 wrote:
ArsonCuff wrote:I would have to say that Vanilla Sky is one of these types of guilty pleasures. Jason Lee and Tom Cruises acting along with some of the dialog is just cheesy to the max, but overall I thought it was a bold attempt at something and enjoyed it, whereas many others who feel themselves to be of higher intellect will poke fun at it.

I LOVED Vanilla Sky... I remember walking out of a packed theater with people saying "what the fuck was that" and "i dont get it"

a really underappreciated movie...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

SUBSTANDARD FILMS WE LOVE ANYWAY

Postby Archive on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:19 pm

I have a confession to make. I love Millenium.

Yes, the one where Kris Kristofferson plays the same character twice.

That movie hit my 11 year old brain like liquid bricks, and the aesthetic, the possibilities behind time travel, and the foxy allure of Cheryl Ladd have never let me go. Time commandos had been running around in my brain long before the 90's, but until I tapped into my own time-travel sci-fi creations, Millenium was my only source of time-commando satisfaction.
Archive
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Archive on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:38 pm

While I'm at it, I might as well come clean about Timecop and Freejack.

While not to the extent of Millenium, I have a problem with time-travel movies.
Archive
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Archive wrote:While I'm at it, I might as well come clean about Timecop and Freejack.

While not to the extent of Millenium, I have a problem with time-travel movies.

Time travel generally makes for bad stories. It's just an incredibly easy way out. The protagonist gets into a horrible situation and there's no hope, and he just goes back in time to when there WAS hope. No drama! Austin Powers lampooned this well.

The only time-travel stories that, for me, are any good are the ones in which the time travel is very, very difficult. The Terminator works because the time travel is one direction only - there's no going back. You can't use time travel to escape a bad situation. Back To The Future works because you have to get that Delorean up to 88 miles per hour, etc., and it's not always easy to do! Besides, it's comedy, so we cut it a lot of slack.

If I remember correctly, I made this point somewhere else in the Zone a long while ago. But it's the main reason I'm leery of time-travel stories.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Archive on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

If that strikes you as rough, then I've got one that'll take this thread to a whole new level...

BATTLEFIELD EARTH.

That's right sallies, I said BATTLEFIELD EARTH! I LOVE BATTLEFIELD EARTH!

How can you talk about cavemen flying harriers as though it were a bad thing? This is the closest the world will get to a pulp-novel, pre-1960's science fiction film with modern production value and talent, and I for one will not stomp on it!

Not that such a film needs to be made again, mind you! Genres are elevated, genres move on. All the same, this movie is too much fun for all it has endured. Bless your silly ass, John Travolta!
Archive
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: SUBSTANDARD FILMS WE LOVE ANYWAY

Postby drunkenbubba on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:39 am

Archive wrote:I have a confession to make. I love Millenium.

Yes, the one where Kris Kristofferson plays the same character twice.

That movie hit my 11 year old brain like liquid bricks, and the aesthetic, the possibilities behind time travel, and the foxy allure of Cheryl Ladd have never let me go. Time commandos had been running around in my brain long before the 90's, but until I tapped into my own time-travel sci-fi creations, Millenium was my only source of time-commando satisfaction.

Amen. One of my favs as well. Here's a list of movies where I can count on my hand the amount of people who actually like the movies - including me

Phantasm Oblivion
Xtro
Incubus
Fear No Evil
The Final Terror
Prophecy (the mutant giant bear movie, not the Walken movies)
The Postman
drunkenbubba
GLIB

Postby Ironical on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Those of you talking about how you're not embarrassed to love any movie obviously don't watch The Notebook everytime it's on tv (including last night)

*It wasn't over... it still isn't over!* :oops:

Also if we're going to get truly embarrassing (and I can't believe this has been mentioned already by Havoc of all people) but I get insanely excited whenever I'm hungover on a Sunday and A Walk to Remember is on..

Damn you Nicholas Sparks.

Just because I don't wanna war with you, don't mean go warm up the barbecue.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Ironical wrote:

Also if we're going to get truly embarrassing (and I can't believe this has been mentioned already by Havoc of all people) but I get insanely excited whenever I'm hungover on a Sunday and A Walk to Remember is on..

But it has Mandy Moore!!!

And there's a part of me that wants to put a part of her into a jar...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ironical on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:38 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Ironical wrote:

But it has Mandy Moore!!!

And there's a part of me that wants to put a part of her into a jar...

Oh Havoc you and your jars. I don't have that excuse, although Shane whatshisname is kinda cute - at the beginning anyway, before he gets all religy.

Just because I don't wanna war with you, don't mean go warm up the barbecue.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby whatakrok on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:37 am

I absolutely love Kung Pow!! I think it is the funniest movie ever. The "thumb" shorts by Odekerk are hilarious, too! My daughter and I laugh every time we see a radio shack... if you don't know why rent the flick.
whatakrok
GLIB

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:08 am

bastard_robo wrote:
buster00 wrote:

I LOVED Vanilla Sky... I remember walking out of a packed theater with people saying "what the fuck was that" and "i dont get it"

a really underappreciated movie...

While it might not be as good as the Spanish film it's based upon (Open Your Eyes / Abre los ojos - Penelope Cruz plays the smae role in both versions of the story, and the Spanish movie is, on the whole, a little more comprehensible), it's really a good movie. I look at it as science fiction, which I don't think is what people were expecting when they went to see it. Still, a really good movie, and as Buster says, no embarrasment necessary.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby pookadot93 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:08 pm

-Michael Flately's "Lord of the Dance". It's more a video of their show in Ireland, but I would call it a movie.
-the first Yu Gi Oh movie
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not trying to kill me...
pookadot93
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:35 pm

WTF...no mention of Mystery Men? That movie is pure comedic GOLD! The scene where they attack Cassanova Frankenstein's limo and The Spleen farts through the passenger window....I laugh like an idiot every frickin' time.

Here is one I'm truly ashamed to admit, but g*ddammit I like, no LOVE the movie Soap Dish. The scene where Kevin Kline is doing a dinner theater version of "Death of a Salesman" is worth sitting through the other 90 minutes of shite.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from other nature films such as "Man vs. Nature, The Road to Victory!" and "Earwigs...ewww!"
TroyMcClure
GLIB

Postby whatakrok on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:45 pm

TroyMcClure wrote:WTF...no mention of Mystery Men? That movie is pure comedic GOLD! The scene where they attack Cassanova Frankenstein's limo and The Spleen farts through the passenger window....I laugh like an idiot every frickin' time.

Here is one I'm truly ashamed to admit, but g*ddammit I like, no LOVE the movie Soap Dish. The scene where Kevin Kline is doing a dinner theater version of "Death of a Salesman" is worth sitting through the other 90 minutes of shite.

Mystery Men IS very funny! I love the scene where they accidently kill Greg Kinnear and who doesn't love a bowling ball with a skull in it?
whatakrok
GLIB

Postby ufoclub1977 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Archive wrote:If that strikes you as rough, then I've got one that'll take this thread to a whole new level...

BATTLEFIELD EARTH.

That's right sallies, I said BATTLEFIELD EARTH! I LOVE BATTLEFIELD EARTH!

How can you talk about cavemen flying harriers as though it were a bad thing? This is the closest the world will get to a pulp-novel, pre-1960's science fiction film with modern production value and talent, and I for one will not stomp on it!

Not that such a film needs to be made again, mind you! Genres are elevated, genres move on. All the same, this movie is too much fun for all it has endured. Bless your silly ass, John Travolta!

It's better than Yor.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Nothing is better than YOR.

Okay, I haven't actually seen YOR.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:01 am

-Batman:The Movie (60's version obviously)

it has no redeeming value beyond Lee Meriweather in her Catwoman outfit, but I love it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:12 am

Bloo wrote:-Batman:The Movie (60's version obviously)

it has no redeeming value beyond Lee Meriweather in her Catwoman outfit, but I love it

Shark Repellant man...SHARK REPELLANT!!!

Keeps all Kirks 2pays at at least 200 yards.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Bloo on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:54 am

papalazeru wrote:

well I thought Shark Repllent went without saying, I mean I carry it all the time and I live in landlocked Kansas
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 am

Bloo wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

well I thought Shark Repllent went without saying, I mean I carry it all the time and I live in landlocked Kansas

There is no embarrassment in loving that movie. I think its amazing. In fact, its the only movie I own 2 copies of the DVD.
I had it back on my shelf in the UK, but saw it in a shop in norway for sale, and decided I couldnt wait for my next trip home to see it. So many golden moments. As well as the obvious shark and bomb gags, I love bruces conversation with Miss Kitka in the carraige, where he is plainly wrestling with a stiffy and about to pop. Or the superbly choreographed discussion in Gordons office, with each of the characters pacing back and forth in front of the camera trying to solve the case. The creme de la creme is batman lecturing the navy chief over the phone for being reckless with the sale of nuclear submarines. Gold.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Russ on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 pm

TroyMcClure wrote:WTF...no mention of Mystery Men? That movie is pure comedic GOLD! The scene where they attack Cassanova Frankenstein's limo and The Spleen farts through the passenger window....I laugh like an idiot every frickin' time.

Love MM. I ain't embarresed either.

Russ
Russ
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:32 pm

I've been told that I should be embarrassed at loving Cast Away.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:40 pm

The Nicholas Roeg movie? bollocks - Amanda Donohue is hot and Oliver Reed is Buck naked and obviously quite drunk. It's excellent.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:54 pm

"Who is Harry Crumb" is one of my all time guilty pleasures......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:03 am

Peven wrote:"Who is Grande Rojo Crumb" is one of my all time guilty pleasures......

great John Candy performance, had a huge crush on the girl in that movie too...Corbin's (Barry Crobin was the dad they were trying to kill right?) daugher in the movie that helps Crumb out
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion