Wings Of The Honneamise

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Wings Of The Honneamise

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:16 pm

If any choice for a "greatest anime film" were to set a discussion alight with "what the hell's he thinking?", Wings of the Honneamise might.

It’s anime, you see. And when it comes to anime there are usually only a few main pretenders to the crown – Akira, Ghost In The Shell and Spirited Away. All are great anime movies, sure. But then, to be frank, they really only get talked about as a token entry to acknowledge the existence of anime. Wings Of The Honneamise, however, thoroughly deserves recognition and it rarely seems to get it.

Wings Of The Honneamise is an extraordinary, mythic, gorgeous looking film which proves that Japanimation doesn’t have to be non-stop action and big-eyed boy band wannabees screaming expletives.

There are only two pieces of action in Wings Of The Honneamise: one, a motorcycle chase, does seem to have bee included purely because the film needed something dynamic at that point. The ending, however, is another matter altogether. As an alternate universe Japan sends man’s first rocket into space, a neighbouring, enemy superpower pulls out all the stops to prevent the launch; it’s a rip-roaring, emotional exclamation mark that ends the movie on a high.

Wings Of The Honneamise takes place in an “elseworldâ€
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:28 pm

I've been meaning to see this movie for forever.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:31 pm

Also, I kept referring to this movie for the longest time as WINGS OF MAYONNAISE.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:31 pm

SPOILER warning :) Thank you for reminding me that this movie exists, I have been meaning to watch it for years and had actually forgotten it existed. The last time I went to rent it, I instead opted for Guy: Double Target. I thought the box read "The Ultimate In Science Fiction!" but the sticker was covering the last word a little.

It really said "The Ultimate In Science Friction!"

Not the type of anime that should be on the shelf next to Kiki's Delivery Service or Sailor Moon.

Well, depending on your tastes, of course.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:42 pm

made my top-10.

what brought this on FG, just seein' it for the first time or did you re-viddy?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LeFlambeur on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:12 pm

Its wierd that this came up because I've recently been trying to find this, netflix doesn't seem to have it so I'm watching it on Ebay. I just watched Gunbuster, and am eager to check out more of Gainax's early stuff. Apparently they made Wings Of The Honneamise while they were still damn near fresh out of art school, but somehow they managed to score an unprecidented budget for an animated feature. Unfortunatly it left them in debt because it never made its money back.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:21 pm

It was a difficult one to get. Some of the releases have been titled "Royal Space Force" which is annoying when searching for "Honneamise". The quality of the DVD releases were pretty crummy too. The copy I got of ebay a couple of years back was Region 0...but it's since stopped working (disc rot!), but I've got an archived copy on a hard disk.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:26 pm

I knew there was a thread I forgott to post in this morning.

From memory I second Fried golds first post, I remember beeing especially impressed by the finale and the music.

Might be time for a rewatch.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Having looked into this a bit more, it seems that a new release of Honneamise is scheduled for this year.

There's an HD-DVD and a Blu-ray release - but each comes with a new transfer regular DVD as well.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 am

Nordling wrote:Also, I kept referring to this movie for the longest time as WINGS OF MAYONNAISE.

And me, I've just been saying WINGS OF HOLLANDAISE...

LeFlambeur wrote:Its wierd that this came up because I've recently been trying to find this, netflix doesn't seem to have it so I'm watching it on Ebay. I just watched Gunbuster, and am eager to check out more of Gainax's early stuff. Apparently they made Wings Of The Honneamise while they were still damn near fresh out of art school, but somehow they managed to score an unprecidented budget for an animated feature. Unfortunatly it left them in debt because it never made its money back.

It is actually available on Netflix, but you won't find it if you search for Wings of the Honneamise. The full title is apparently Royal Space Force: Wings of the Honneamise, and I think there's some sort of 20th Anniversary edition on there. Anyway it's in my queue now, so here's hoping it doesn't suck.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Animation