What's next for DC Films and Warner?

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Which DC property would you most like to see?

Aquaman
4%
The Flash
38%
Wonder Woman
15%
Martian Manhunter
8%
Captain Marvel
15%
Doom Patrol
8%
Deadman
No votes
Other
12%

Total votes : 26

Re: What's next for DC Films and Warner?

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:21 pm

Peven wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:This is why we'll never see a Wonder Woman movie. Exploiting women is wrong.

It's only wrong, if you don't do it right...

I'm in the process of writing a spaceploitation movie with all female lead characters...

It's called A Fistful of Stars...

i have GOT to see that movie

I am serious by the way...the opening is a fight scene in the women's prison shower...and it has an Amazon in it...and that's all you get...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:24 pm

i thought you were serious, and i am serious in wanting to see it. bet you write a hell of a good script for it too. love me some Amazons...

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby buster00 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:42 pm

RogueScribner wrote:This is why we'll never see a Wonder Woman movie. Exploiting women is wrong.

Oh, I'm sorry...you were saying...?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Yeah, cause no one ever exploited Wonder Woman in the comics...

I'm soo proud to have been the guy to introduce superdickery to the zone.
My one great contribution.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm not sure if everyone got that I was joking . . .
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:54 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I'm not sure if everyone got that I was joking . . .

i did, 'cause i know you are a big Josh Whedon fan and all you guys are some of the worst misogynistic women-exploiters on earth :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Here's the one thing (or one of the things) that makes me kind of uncomfortable about these studios's steps towards something approaching an actual Marvel or DC "Universe" -- while I do think the prospects of an Avengers movie are cool, both Superman and Batman are so far apart on the power spectrum that it's almost like the exist in their own worlds already. I don't really want to get into all that anti-Superman gadgets, kryptonite knuckles stuff, if that's your thing or you believe it makes the most sense, that's really out of my territory. But I guess what I mean is that if every DC movie is constructed under the umbrella one big, crazy world, "Bat-verses" like the one Nolan et al. have constructed may be a thing of the past, assuming they all have to follow the same rules, more or less, so that they can team-up, co-exist, what have you, with other characters. For that reason I think I'll always be kind of partial to the "one world, one hero" idea that most previous comic book films sort of adopted by necessity... although like I said, I do think that Avengers movie might be cool
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Ribbons wrote:Here's the one thing (or one of the things) that makes me kind of uncomfortable about these studios's steps towards something approaching an actual Marvel or DC "Universe" -- while I do think the prospects of an Avengers movie are cool, both Superman and Batman are so far apart on the power spectrum that it's almost like the exist in their own worlds already. I don't really want to get into all that anti-Superman gadgets, kryptonite knuckles stuff, if that's your thing or you believe it makes the most sense, that's really out of my territory. But I guess what I mean is that if every DC movie is constructed under the umbrella one big, crazy world, "Bat-verses" like the one Nolan et al. have constructed may be a thing of the past, assuming they all have to follow the same rules, more or less, so that they can team-up, co-exist, what have you, with other characters. For that reason I think I'll always be kind of partial to the "one world, one hero" idea that most previous comic book films sort of adopted by necessity... although like I said, I do think that Avengers movie might be cool

You're wrong, and here's why:

The DC Universe is very different from Marvel in many ways, but let me get to the one way you address specifically. Locales. Batman exists in Gotham City in Nolan's world, and Superman exists in Metropolis in Singer's. Now they may seem like very different places, but they should be. Now here's where your wrong. It has always been interesting to take the product of one environment (ie Batman & Gotham) and see how they gel with another (Metropolis). I don't see this as an impossibility because the character that Nolan created will be the same, but thrust into a different situation. The DCU is populated with heroes who are all from radically different locales. It was made that way by accidental design, because the early Super-hero template was 1) Make hero, 2) Give them some made up city to protect. Star City, Coast City, Keystone City, Metropolis, Gotham, Smallville... these are all fantasy cities, each with their own identity, but still in the same world. Marvel has it a little easier because most of their guys hang out in Manhattan (although the movies have spread characters around a bit). Anyway, my thought is that the crossovers are not impossible, as long as the cross over brings the quality of CHARACTER the initial directors created.

But I think what Warners needs to do is not fucking worry about working toward a Justice League film. I think they need to untangle all those comic properties from the oodles of Producers that have snapped them up over the years (I'm looking at you Joel Silver), and give someone the position of being creative head of DC Films. A John Lassiter type who loves the characters, but has enough experience in hollywood to know how to craft an excellent movie and/or franchise. It's absolutely ridiculous for a studio to sit on properties like Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow, Aquaman and even some ancillary characters like Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, Swamp Thing, or Supergirl. Any of these movies could be a goldmine with the right vision. But I guess Warner's just doesn't get it. They've never had a great deal of respect for their DC opportunities, and I doubt they will in the near future despite any lip service.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:30 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:But I think what Warners needs to do is not fucking worry about working toward a Justice League film. I think they need to untangle all those comic properties from the oodles of Producers that have snapped them up over the years (I'm looking at you Joel Silver), and give someone the position of being creative head of DC Films. A John Lassiter type who loves the characters, but has enough experience in hollywood to know how to craft an excellent movie and/or franchise. It's absolutely ridiculous for a studio to sit on properties like Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow, Aquaman and even some ancillary characters like Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, Swamp Thing, or Supergirl. Any of these movies could be a goldmine with the right vision. But I guess Warner's just doesn't get it. They've never had a great deal of respect for their DC opportunities, and I doubt they will in the near future despite any lip service.

I'll second that.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:15 pm

I kind of see what you're saying burl, and I feel that way about certain things, seeing them go together like lamb and tuna fish or whatever, but I guess I feel like these movies stand more to lose by trying to make them gel in the first place. I know what you're saying is that nothing would really have to be changed, but I think that even co-habiting the same world as Superman or Green Lantern changes something. Maybe something intangible, I dunno. I do agree with the second part of your post about WB at least getting their house in order. That's the other good think about Marvel Studios, that they're pretty much in charge of all their films.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Ribbons wrote:Here's the one thing (or one of the things) that makes me kind of uncomfortable about these studios's steps towards something approaching an actual Marvel or DC "Universe" -- while I do think the prospects of an Avengers movie are cool, both Superman and Batman are so far apart on the power spectrum that it's almost like the exist in their own worlds already. I don't really want to get into all that anti-Superman gadgets, kryptonite knuckles stuff, if that's your thing or you believe it makes the most sense, that's really out of my territory. But I guess what I mean is that if every DC movie is constructed under the umbrella one big, crazy world, "Bat-verses" like the one Nolan et al. have constructed may be a thing of the past, assuming they all have to follow the same rules, more or less, so that they can team-up, co-exist, what have you, with other characters. For that reason I think I'll always be kind of partial to the "one world, one hero" idea that most previous comic book films sort of adopted by necessity... although like I said, I do think that Avengers movie might be cool

I agree that it would be difficult to introduce a character like Superman into the Nolan-"Batverse" and there are quite a lot of things which suggest the Singer/Donner Superman does not exist that world.

If it were attempted, something good which could arise is a character study of how someone like Batman would react to having Superman overseeing his territory.

Honestly though, I don't see WB/DC wanting to interfere with what Nolan & co have done and I reckon they won't force it into the mix - Singer-Superman too...although it will obviously be more fitting to build some new franchise and merge them together, probably the more fantastical characters.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:06 am

I am getting pretty excited. Check out this article.

The article features the following quote:

Warners and DC (both Time Warner entities) have labored in vain over another Superman, and launches for Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Arrow and Green Lantern. It's maddening for fans as rival Marvel Comics has successfully begun financing its own slate of pics, first with "Iron Man," then a reboot of "The Incredible Hulk" this summer.

That could soon change, as Warners is readying to revamp how DC's properties are developed -- changes that could be announced within the next month.

!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:25 am

KLUDD!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:44 am

TheButcher wrote:From the Comic Book Resources column LYING IN THE GUTTERS:

LYING IN THE GUTTERS VOLUME 2 COLUMN 165
by Rich Johnston
Mon, July 7th, 2008 at 2:00PM PST

Geoff Johns thinks that DC, like Marvel, will start their own production company/studio to create movies based on DC characters. Four minutes in. http://www.veoh.com/videos/v14598722RyNJ4QbH

From Newsarama:
Warner, DC meet to plan
July 11th, 2008
Author Kevin Melrose
Often criticized for its handling of its comic-book properties, Warner Bros. is holding high-level talks with DC Comics to develop a film strategy for its superheroes.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov and Warner Bros. Pictures president Kevin McCormick have met with DC executives and top creators over the past couple of weeks to hammer out a new direction for the big-screen adaptations:

Up until now, the comic properties had been undergoing a hodge-podge development process. With the recent success of Marvel Studios’ Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk and that company’s plan to develop its many characters linked strategically together, Warners has been forced to take a close second look at its sister company.

Warner Bros. is keeping quiet on the details of the meetings, but released a statement saying: “While we are not going to go into the specifics of the meetings, we’re constantly looking at how best to exploit the DC Comics characters and properties. DC is an incredibly valuable asset to Warner Bros. and plays an important role across the entire studio by providing development and franchise opportunities for all media, including films, television, home entertainment, animation, consumer products, video games and digital platforms.”

My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:25 am

It's about damn time.
Thanks for the link Leckomaniac.

From Iesb.net: DC to Go the Way of Marvel and Justice League Death Confirmed

Green Lantern is certainly ready to go, with a stellar script (reviewed recently here at IESB), this franchise is a hit waiting to happen.

In any case, Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green's Green Lantern seems to definitely be a “go”, we were contacted by WB and the filmmakers in hopes to squash any further plot leaks considering our script review was entitled “Part 1”...which begs the question, what's in “Part 2”??!!

Well, we agreed to not leak any further plot points and story details to calm the ruffled feathers, but one thing is for certain, Green Lantern it is a well-written action-packed tight story ready to bring Green Lantern and Hal Jordan to the forefront of superhero cinema lore.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:08 pm

i want a new bad ass SWAMP THING movie.. something else Alan Moore can bitch about!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:11 pm

ISEB.net wrote:DC to Go the Way of Marvel

I kinda hope they don't do that.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:39 pm

From Variety: WB's hero hunt heats up
Warner Bros. is looking for DC Comics to produce more movies.

The Time Warner comic-book arm is sitting on a stable of well-known superhero properties like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and the Justice League, but has been slow to develop the bigscreen adventures.

Getting the movies made would involve many of Warner Bros.' other divisions -- including TV, homevid, consumer products, online and vidgames -- that would create tie-in projects for release around the films.

"They need a lot of lead time and it all needs to be choreographed," Robinov says.

Yet with the dearth of tentpoles next year, those same divisions will have little to work with and will have to focus on more classic product like Looney Tunes.

The situation also forced longtime financing partner Village Roadshow to look elsewhere for big movies to back. It decided to put money behind Paramount's franchise-hopeful "G.I. Joe" that bows next summer.

Yet even with such spectacular pics on the docket, there are no guarantees on what will catch fire. The studio is enjoying the "Dark Knight" bonanza, but it stalled badly at the B.O. early this summer with "Speed Racer," which the Wachowski brothers directed and Joel Silver produced. Another installment isn't likely after the pic brought in a mere $86 million worldwide.

"We have not always been successful," Horn says. "We have had our misfires but they have in no way caused us to feel that we should abandon our strategy. There's absolutely no change in the philosophy of the company. We are as committed as ever to having tentpoles."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:00 pm

i think WB is acting like a kid who can't make up his mind while he is standing at a candy rack. starts to grab one candy bar, then in mid reach sees another that looks good, abandons the first choice and starts to reach for the second, then before his hand gets there, sees another, and starts to reach for that instead, and so on.

i think they just plain got lucky with Nolan and Batman, and i don't expect them to repeat it with another franchise. they just don't have the balls

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Newsarama has updates on nearly every DC movie in development.
Making Sense of DC's Film Projects (or trying to)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 pm

I read that and really am of the opinion that no one at warner's has a clue.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 pm

TheButcher wrote:Newsarama has updates on nearly every DC movie in development.

They're trying to make sense of it all, but make a hash up of writing the article...

It seems like WB/DC are completely unsure about how to go about making these films but, surprisingly, they also don't seem to be rushing them into production regardless.

I'd much prefer a good film every so often than a load of mediocre films every year.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Newsarama has updates on nearly every DC movie in development.

They're trying to make sense of it all, but make a hash up of writing the article...

It seems like WB/DC are completely unsure about how to go about making these films but, surprisingly, they also don't seem to be rushing them into production regardless.

I'd much prefer a good film every so often than a load of mediocre films every year.

but is the reason for their inaction due to wise prudence or fearful indecision?

they need a plan. with no plan there is no attack. with no attack there can be no VICTORY! time to enter the regatta, dammit

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:26 pm

As of now just a few moments ago another inside source confirmed that yes they are waiting for Chris Nolan to sign the deal with the next Batman, and that they want him to commit to a July 2011 release. If that happens then the following superhero films will be released.

Green Lantern Summer 2010
Batman 3 Summer 2011
New Superman reboot Summer 2012

Also in the mix is THE FLASH.

Source: Latino Review
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

'Sleeper'

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 pm

From Variety: Brad Ingelsby wakes up 'Sleeper'
DAVE MCNARY wrote:Scott to direct, DiCaprio to star in adaptation

Warner Bros. has tapped Brad Ingelsby to write "Sleeper," an adaptation of the DC Comics/Wildstorm comic being produced by Sam Raimi with Star Road Entertainment partner Josh Donen.

The comedy, written by Ed Brubaker, centers on an operative whose fusion with an alien artifact makes him impervious to pain and allows him to pass the ability on to others through skin contact.

Ingelsby made his first script sale in March, selling "Low Dweller" to Relativity Media for $500,000 against $1 million. Ridley Scott will direct and Leonardo DiCaprio will star.

From CBR:
Science of Sleeper: Brubaker talks "Sleeper" film
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

ALAN HORN

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

David Goyer

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 am

Every DC hero movie is on hold.

Source: Latino Review: Video Interview: Odette Yustman & David Goyer On The Unborn
George 'El Guapo' Roush wrote:In this interview Odette and David talk about what they would do if they ever ran into a ghost, the future of DC's super hero movies, a Cloverfield sequel, and much more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:44 am

Instead of me having to go to the link, can you sum up why?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:54 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Instead of me having to go to the link, can you sum up why?

I havent read it, but Im guessing that after the success of TDK they are trying to spread a little guano magic over all of the other projects.

This is purely my own guess, and an excuse to use the phrase "guano magic."
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

David Goyer

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:38 pm

IESB Exclusive: Goyer says All DC films at Warner Bros. are on Hold

Director/writer David Goyer says all the DC properties currently over at Warner Bros. have been put on hold for the time being.

David Goyer wrote:"A lot of the DC movies at Warner Brothers are all on hold while the figure out, they're going to come up with some new plan, methodology, things like that so everything has just been pressed pause on at the moment. It was the double header of both Iron Man and The Dark Knight coming out, so more than ever I think they've realized, I think DC was responsible for 15% of Warner Brother's revenue this year, something crazy like that, so they realized that comic books, it's become a new genre, one of the most successful genres."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:57 pm

An IGN Exclusive: Green Lantern Writer Talks - The latest on Warner Bros.' next comic-book movie.
Scott Collura wrote:February 5, 2009 - Just as the news broke today that director Martin Campbell (Casino Royale) is in talks to take on the job of helming a Green Lantern live-action film, as luck would have it IGN was attending an unrelated press conference with Michael Green, who co-wrote the GL script. So we of course had to pull Green aside and hit him up with some power-ring questions!

"They just announced that they're in talks with a new director on it," Green told us during a break from promoting his new NBC series Kings. "From what I understand, they're edging towards making the movie. Warner Bros. doesn't do greenlights the way a lot of places do. They sort of always inch towards it, so there's never a day where they're like, 'Boom! Magic bomb! We're greenlit!' But we've had very good conversations with them. From what I'm told, they really like the last script we gave them and are hoping to find a way to make it, which would be thrilling."

Green (no relation to the Lantern), who has written everything from episodes of Heroes to the Superman/Batman comic, penned the script with Greg Berlanti, who was previously slotted to direct the film, and Marc Guggenheim (The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive. The writer cites the recent Warner Bros./DC "summit meeting" as part of the reason for the apparently renewed interest at the studio in the long gestating project.

"What emerged from that, from what I know as I was not a part of it, was that from that meeting a lot of enthusiasm for Green Lantern came about," says Green. "I think they liked it. I think DC liked it. I've heard very nice things from DC and I've heard nice things from DC writers. Actually, another really nice compliment -- Geoff Johns read it and I bumped into him and he was really nice and complimentary about it. I thought that was really cool because I like his comics."

Of course, the scribe is mum on most of the details of the storyline, but he does confirm that the most famous of the Lanterns will be at the center of the film.

"It's Hal Jordan," he confirms. "I can't give too many spoilers, but the idea is to introduce a new character to an audience that is probably not familiar with him. So we start at the beginning with Hal Jordan."

As for the inclusion of other GLs like John Stewart or Alan Scott, Green does not rule out the possibility that such characters might show up as well.

"We are steeped in the mythology enough that extrapolations both forward and backward in time are available," says Green, before responding to the question of whether or not the film will be "cosmic" with a simple and concise, "He's the Green Lantern."

And then there's always the Justice League issue when discussing any DC Comics film property. The team film that was being put together at Warner Bros. recently and rather famously blew up in director George Miller's face, Krypton style. But still, with Marvel's The Avengers clearly on the fast track, it seems inevitable that Warner is going to want to reassemble the JLA in the near future. And that will presumably involve the Green Lantern, though Green says there has been no mandate from the studio during the writing of GL to somehow set up or otherwise tie into a possible Justice League movie.

"I'm sure they've had those conversations [at the studio]," says Green. "I don't know what the current plans are for Justice League. I would go see it! It sounds cool. I think the idea is to treat them separately right now and, like all things, they eventually tie together in the mind of the viewer. The only mandate such as it is was, 'Any references you want to make to expand the DC world, we would enjoy,' which is one of the better notes you can get. … It's like, 'Oh, more candy? Please!' They opened up the DC toy box on that, so it was fun. It's definitely tied to the familiar DC universe. It's very much something to honor the people who love Green Lantern the way me and the other writers read it, faithfully and honoring everything that it is without any violations of the substance."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby instant_karma on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 pm

TheButcher wrote:An IGN Exclusive: Green Lantern Writer Talks - The latest on Warner Bros.' next comic-book movie.
Scott Collura wrote:The only mandate such as it is was, 'Any references you want to make to expand the DC world, we would enjoy,' which is one of the better notes you can get. … It's like, 'Oh, more candy? Please!' They opened up the DC toy box on that, so it was fun. It's definitely tied to the familiar DC universe. It's very much something to honor the people who love Green Lantern the way me and the other writers read it, faithfully and honoring everything that it is without any violations of the substance."

I gotta say, this little snippet gives me some hope for future DC properties.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:49 am

instant_karma wrote:
TheButcher wrote:An IGN Exclusive: Green Lantern Writer Talks - The latest on Warner Bros.' next comic-book movie.
Scott Collura wrote:The only mandate such as it is was, 'Any references you want to make to expand the DC world, we would enjoy,' which is one of the better notes you can get. … It's like, 'Oh, more candy? Please!' They opened up the DC toy box on that, so it was fun. It's definitely tied to the familiar DC universe. It's very much something to honor the people who love Green Lantern the way me and the other writers read it, faithfully and honoring everything that it is without any violations of the substance."

I gotta say, this little snippet gives me some hope for future DC properties.

Now with poll!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:48 am

Wonder Woman. Hands down. My favorite DC hero.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:55 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Wonder Woman. Hands down. My favorite DC hero.

I went with The Flash.

It is a really battle of the Titans. 1 to 1. Who will win?

The suspense is bearable!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:01 am

With modern digital effects, the Flash could look amazing. He looked great in the late '80s. Now if they just do Wally and not Barry, I'll be happy.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:25 am

Oh, you guys...

FAIL!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:30 am

I went with Martian Manhunter, because I too know the pain of having a large forehead...

[self-pwned]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby instant_karma on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:59 pm

I went with Captain Marvel.

Much as I love the various Flashes, when they really start using their powers, they're too fast for the naked eye to see, so that means any movie featuring them will probably have far too many bullet time effects.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Jonah Hex

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:36 pm

From Variety: Malkovich, Brolin set for 'Hex' - Duo set for WB's comic adaptation

MICHAEL FLEMING & DAVE MCNARY wrote:John Malkovich will square off against Josh Brolin in "Jonah Hex," the Warner Bros. adaptation of the DC Comics property that begins production in April.
Legendary Pictures has joined the project as co-financier and co-producer.

Malkovich will play Turnbull, a wealthy Southern plantation owner whose son is killed by Union soldiers during the Civil War. He blames Hex, a former confederate soldier-turned-hardened bounty hunter and gunslinger. Jimmy Hayward ("Horton Hears a Who") is directing the script by "Crank" scribes Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. Mad Chance's Andrew Lazar is producing with Weed Road's Akiva Goldsman.

Malkovich, most recently seen in "Burn After Reading" and "Changeling," is currently presiding over the Mexico opening of "The Good Canary," a Zack Helm-penned play that Malkovich directed. The play, which bowed in France, was translated into Spanish, and Diego Luna is starring in the feature.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jonah Hex

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:48 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Variety: Malkovich, Brolin set for 'Hex' - Duo set for WB's comic adaptation

MICHAEL FLEMING & DAVE MCNARY wrote:John Malkovich will square off against Josh Brolin in "Jonah Hex," the Warner Bros. adaptation of the DC Comics property that begins production in April.
Legendary Pictures has joined the project as co-financier and co-producer.

Malkovich will play Turnbull, a wealthy Southern plantation owner whose son is killed by Union soldiers during the Civil War. He blames Hex, a former confederate soldier-turned-hardened bounty hunter and gunslinger. Jimmy Hayward ("Horton Hears a Who") is directing the script by "Crank" scribes Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. Mad Chance's Andrew Lazar is producing with Weed Road's Akiva Goldsman.

Malkovich, most recently seen in "Burn After Reading" and "Changeling," is currently presiding over the Mexico opening of "The Good Canary," a Zack Helm-penned play that Malkovich directed. The play, which bowed in France, was translated into Spanish, and Diego Luna is starring in the feature.

Most non threatening villain ever.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Suicide Squad

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:46 pm

From THR.com: Scribe in for 'Suicide Squad' pact

Borys Kit wrote:Justin Marks to adapt the DC Comics property for Warners

Warner Bros. and Justin Marks are ready to commit suicide.

The studio has tapped the scribe to adapt DC Comics property "Suicide Squad" as a feature film. Dan Lin and his studio-based Lin Pictures are on board as producers.

Originally a back-up feature in 1960s "The Brave and the Bold," the stories focused on a team of non-super-powered people fighting monstrous menaces. The Squad was reconceived in the 1980s as a team of supervillains given one last shot at redemption by the government by accomplishing missions that will most likely kill them.

It is this latter concept that Warners is working from.

The villains involved have yet to be determined though Deadshot, an assassin with wrist-mounted guns, is a strong candidate.

Steven Gilchrist is co-producing.

Jon Berg is overseeing for Warners. Gregory Noveck is overseeing for DC.

Marks, currently doing a rewrite of Disney and McG's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," also wrote the Green Arrow comic book movie project "Supermax." He is repped by WMA and Madhouse Entertainment.

Lin Pictures is in post on "Sherlock Holmes" and readying "Terminator: Salvation" for its May 21 release.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Is Thomas Tull the ANTI-Tom Rothman

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:34 am

From Hit Fix:
MORIARTY wrote:It's not just where we find money that has to evolve... it's the money guys themselves. I've spent a fair amount of energy declaring Tom Rothman an enemy of cinema over the years, because I genuinely dislike the way he handles filmmakers and material, with a craven eye on the bottom line. His polar opposite inside the studio system would have to be Thomas Tull of Legendary Pictures. I've spent some time talking to Thomas over the last few years, and even when we don't see eye to eye on something, I can tell that this guy approaches things from a place of genuine enthusiasm about movies, and that he is definitely chasing a certain audience without condescending to them.

From wsj.com:
A Producer of Superheroes - The comic-book-loving exec behind '300,' 'Dark Knight' and 'Watchmen'

JAMIN BROPHY-WARREN wrote:Late in the afternoon in Los Angeles, Thomas Tull, chief executive officer of Legendary Pictures, has snuck out of his office to read comic books.

"You want to know what's really cool?" says Mr. Tull as he walks through a comic-book store in the chic Silver Lake neighborhood. He points to titles that his company has made into movies. "'Watchmen.' 'Dark Knight.' '300.' We made all of those," he says. He's read each of those comics a half-dozen times.

There's a name for people who, like Mr. Tull, are singularly devoted to comics or some other pop-cultural pursuit: fanboys. Next week, as executive producer, he'll help bring to the big screen his favorite comic book: "Watchmen."....
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:45 am

I'm guessing that whoever wrote that article isn't much of a comics fan themselves since they said Tull has read "The Dark Knight" half a dozen times, although I guess it's probably technically true that he's read six issues of Batman in his life.

Still that's pretty awesome, although Tull's job isn't beholden to stockholders like Rothman's is; he's a rich entrepreneur who self-financed Legendary Pictures. Don't get me wrong, it's badass that he puts so much of his money on the line and I still think Rothman is a cockgoblin, but he's in a position where it's easier to take risks.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:11 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:30 pm

The rating of a film - doesn't make much difference.
The quality of the film - makes lots of difference.

So who really cares what rating they're aiming for?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:45 pm

I think they are blaming the under performance of Watchmen on the hard R. Which is dumb.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Gerald Fried on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:57 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I think they are blaming the under performance of Watchmen on the hard R. Which is dumb.

But it was a "Visionary hard R". Maybe that's the difference.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

LOBO & BIZARRO SUPERMAN

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 01, 2009 1:57 pm

A couple of Latino Review Exclusives:
First Look at DC comics LOBO!
"El Mayimbe here...

Joel Silver has been developing the DC Comics LOBO property for years. A recent draft was turned which Dr. Strangefist managed to take a look at for us.

Dr Strangefist likened LOBO to an alien Snake Plissken. Sounds bad ass!

Lobo is a fictional character that appears in the comic books published by DC Comics. An alien, Lobo works as an interstellar mercenary and bounty hunter. Although introduced as a hardened, rarely-used noir villain in the 1980s, he languished in limbo until his revival as an anti-hero biker in the early 1990s. The character enjoyed a short run as one of DC’s most popular characters throughout the 1990s. This version of Lobo was intended to be an over-the-top parody of Marvel Comics superhero Wolverine.

Check out our exclusive video featurette exec produced by Kellvin, narrated by Edgar "El Toro" Arce, and hilariously edited by Stuart Benedict."

First Look At Bizarro Superman
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

What's next for DC Films and Warner?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:28 pm

From /film:
Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison and Marv Wolfman Are Working on DC Comic Book Movies
From /film:
Warner Bros Seeking Writers For Adam Strange and Aquaman Movies

From THR.com: DC Comics storms the film world
In the comics universe, where characters are endlessly reborn and reoutfitted, a motto from the 1980s -- "DC Comics is on the move" -- could just as well apply to the current, hyperactive state of the publisher as it relates to Hollywood.

A year after "The Dark Knight" became a worldwide phenomenon, there are more DC Comics adaptations in the works than at any other point since the company was acquired by Warner Bros. in 1969.

Among the projects on front burners:

-- "The Losers," an action-adventure drama starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana and Chris Evans, begins principal photography this week in Puerto Rico.

-- "Jonah Hex," a supernatural Western starring Josh Brolin, Megan Fox and John Malkovich, recently wrapped production in Louisiana.

-- "The Green Lantern," Warners' next big superhero tentpole, is set to star Ryan Reynolds after a long search.

-- Fox has picked up the TV series "Human Target," starring Mark Valley, for the fall.

-- And, in a rare example of a film project that has ventured off the Warners reservation, DC has set up "Red," a spy thriller to star Bruce Willis, at Summit.

"One of the things that has differentiated us for most of the last 20 years is the depth of our library and the depth of the creative material that we've put out and the opportunities that creates for other media," DC Comics president Paul Levitz said.Still, when "Dark Knight" invaded theaters last summer, critics of DC and Warners complained there didn't appear to be a grand strategy in place to exploit DC properties.

In contrast, DC arch-rival Marvel moved quickly in the wake of its successful "Iron Man" to stake out a series of release dates for a slew of movies, branding them as part of one big Marvel universe leading to "The Avengers," which arrives in 2012.

But DC and Warners have taken a different approach, arguing that DC has a wider breadth of books than other comics companies. They insist their situation isn't comparable to Marvel, which already has licensed out to other studios a number of its biggest titles: Spider-Man is housed at Sony, and X-Men and Fantastic Four are at Fox.

With fewer marquee superheroes, Marvel works like an animation studio: It only develops select projects and makes most of what it develops, while DC is managing a much larger portfolio.

Still, in the wake of "Dark Knight," DC and Warners have made strategic moves in the superhero realm, including centralizing the way DC's titles and characters are developed. In the past, Warners optioned a property, paying DC a fee comparable to what a property could command on the open market. But while the projects ostensibly were being developed under one roof, many were spread out over a host of producers, each with different visions for how to approach each adaptation.

To bring competing approaches into sync, Levitz and DC's Los Angeles-based film exec Gregory Noveck have overseen a reorganization of the development slate. While Warners execs still drive the creative side, DC now has more input, making it an actual participant in the shaping of material.

"The creative process is by and large a true partnership," Noveck said. "They'll ask us a ton of questions, and we'll give a ton of answers. We will talk back and forth. We'll discuss writers and talent, but ultimately it's their decision."

This past fall, Warners quietly hired three of DC's biggest writers -- Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison and Marv Wolfman -- to act as consultants and writers for its superhero line of movies. The move involved taking back the reins on projects being handled by such producers as Charles Roven ("The Flash") and Akiva Goldsman ("Teen Titans").

Some agents and scribes grumbled about being forced to work with the consultants, never mind that Johns started his career as a assistant to "Superman" director Richard Donner or that Wolfman has worked in animation since the 1980s

The moves have begun to pay off. Johns worked up a new treatment for a "Flash" script, being written by Dan Mazeau; Johns will act in a producer capacity on the project, which has not attached a director.

The projects Morrison and Wolfman are working on are in the early stages at Warners, whose execs declined to comment.

The process involves one writer taking point, though the trio do collaborate on projects, reading one another's materials while hashing out a story that will be at once accessible to nonfans yet still adhere to each character's long history. The writers also work in tandem with producers, writers and the Warners execs overseeing the projects, showing them treatments and providing notes on scripts.

Meanwhile, other superhero projects are moving forward at Warners.

The studio is taking pitches on sci-fi hero Adam Strange and the underwater-breathing hero "Aquaman," to be produced by Leonardo DiCaprio and his Appian Way shingle.

Also in the pipeline: "Bizarro Superman" being written by "Galaxy Quest" scribes David Howard and Robert Gordon; a sequel to "Constantine," with Goldsman and Erwin Stoff producing; two concurrent Green Arrow projects, an origin story and a prison-set one titled "Super Max"; and "Shazam," which was set up at New Line but has moved to Warners, with Pete Segal attached to direct.

Unsung in the lineup is Warners' line of straight-to-DVD animated movies released via Warner Premiere. "Green Lantern: First Flight," the latest entry, will premiere at this week's Comic-Con and has a July 28 street date.

These movies, produced on budgets in the $3.5 million range, apparently overperformed their targets. "First Flight" is the fifth straight-to-DVD title, with "Superman/Batman: Public Enemies" in production for a Sept. 29 release.

In the home entertainmentarena, DC has overshadowed Marvel, with 2007's "Superman-Doomsday" generating $9.4 million in revenue and last year's "Batman: Gotham Knight," taking advantage of the tidal wave of support for the Christopher Nolan movie, generating $8 million, according to tracking site The-Numbers.com. "Wonder Woman," released in March, already has chalked up $4.4 million. Marvel's top seller, "Ultimate Avengers 2," has pulled in $7.7 million.

Not that all the stars in the DC firmament are aligned yet.

Warners and DC still haven't figured out how to translate "Wonder Woman" to the big screen. In part, that failure reflects the difficulties DC has had turning out a popular Wonder Women comic. Morrison, during a recent Q&A with Clive Barker at Los Angeles' Meltdown Comics, admitted he didn't have a complete handle on the character when he was writing the comic "Final Crisis."

Also, ever since Bryan Singer's 2006's "Superman Returns," a new Superman has been in limbo.

"Our hope is to develop a Superman property and to try again," Warner Bros. Entertainment president Alan Horn said in April. "What hurt us is that the reviews and so on for the Superman movie did not get the kind of critical acclaim that Batman got, and we have other issues with Superman that concern us."

On the Batman front, a sequel to "Dark Knight" also is quite a way off. Nolan is open to doing a third installment, but his next movie is "Inception," an original script he penned and is shooting for Warners.

All that has put a damper on any movie about the Justice League, whose roster includes the above-mentioned heroes as well as myriad others including Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter. DC would like to present some of the main heroes in their own movies before they are brought together for one big outing, so "League" currently is inactive.

On top of that, there could be another change in how Warners approaches the DC characters, with studio chiefs debating whether to put the operation under one super-exec.

To bring the next generation of superheroes to the screen, DC and Warners might yet have to unleash their own super powers.
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News