Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

YEAH YEAH YEAHS

YEAH YEAH YEAH!
63%
NO NO NO!
17%
MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE!
20%

Total votes : 35

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:10 pm

I'm bored to tears with rock music in general, but
I love me the YEAH YEAH YEAHS.

Perhaps its the spastically sexy energy and strange
vulnerablilty of Karen O? Perhaps its the angular guitar
riffs of the guy who wishes he was Nick Cave or Blixa Bargeld
circa 1981? Or perhaps its the competant drumming of the
guy who looks like my guidance counselor from elementary
school? Or perhaps, just perhaps, its the magical confluence
of all three?

Anyways, I haven't purchased the new album, but plan
to shortly (along with the new LIARS) and was wondering
for those of you who may have picked it up already;
is it everyting we've hoped? Fun and furious? Or dim
and dumb? Bringeth forth thine reviews, comments,
or wet dream fantasies of plowing Karen O in a drunken
fit of lower east side art-rawk sexpain...

NOW!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Re: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Postby Kilgore on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:27 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Perhaps its the spastically sexy energy and strange
vulnerablilty of Karen O? Perhaps its the angular guitar
riffs of the guy who wishes he was Nick Cave or Blixa Bargeld
circa 1981? Or perhaps its the competant drumming of the
guy who looks like my guidance counselor from elementary
school? Or perhaps, just perhaps, its the magical confluence
of all three?

I like any definition that includes a variation of 'spastic' in it. But if the drummer reminds you of your el-em guidance counselor, our hopes are with you that you never had to endure any private 'guidance sessions'.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:35 pm

Yes Yes Yes, please.

I too can't help but like them. I can't count the amount of times I've given and played Maps yet again and I still remember one dreary English winter evening, however many years ago it was now, and sitting up on my sofa, after hearing them in session on latenight radio, and totally loosing interesting in the movie I was watching.

Despite feeling a little like Gold Lion is a lacking slightly, ( is it only me who thinks if it wasn't for their particular charisma, that it just escapes being a mid ninties U2 b-side?), it totally came alive and made complete sense when I saw them play it on stage on the TV the other day.

I'm looking forward to hearing the album in full.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:47 pm

I tried getting into them, but just wasn't my thing. That being said, "The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song" on the Flaming Lips new album is quite good.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:47 pm

didn't like the single too much either, and reviews have been mixed.

Maybe Maybe Maybe!

hey Zombie, when you get that Liars give me a heads up, kinda curious as to what direction they've gone on this one.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:51 pm

It's a fucking great album.

They have managed to create an album that sounds ONLY like the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, for me it gives no hint to influences, just lets you know what happens when these three talented individuals shut themselves away in a studio.

Some will say it's a little overproduced compared to Fever To Tell, Nick's guitars have definitely taken a back seat sonically so the new secret weapon that is Karen O's voice can be brought to the forefront - she sounds fantastic on every track. Some of the melodies are a lot more user friendly and main stream, but her voice gives each song the vitalness and urgency that you would expect after the debut album.

Stand out tracks for me are Phenomena, The Sweets, Warrior and Turn Into.

This is a brilliant sophomore release, not a dud track from 12, and not many albums come with that level of quality these days.

EDIT - When you get to the last 3 tracks, you will be itching to listen to Golden Lion again, they are NOT easy listening, although very rewarding after a couple of plays. Golden Lion is the obvious record company choice for first single, with the exception of Phenomena ( which will be a huge summer tune ), none of the others will sell like hot cakes, it's an album first, a really tight record.
Last edited by doglips on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:54 pm

Flumm wrote: Despite feeling a little like Gold Lion is a lacking slightly, ( is it only me who thinks if it wasn't for their particular charisma, that it just escapes being a mid ninties U2 b-side?), it totally came alive and made complete sense when I saw them play it on stage on the TV the other day..

This is the only song I've heard so far, and I like it. Its funny
you say it reminds you of U2, cause it reminds me of a mix
btwn SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES and LOVE AND ROCKETS;
the acoustic riff reminds me of L&R's "No New Tale to Tell" and her
"Oh-Ooohs!" remind me of Siouxsie's singing...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:05 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:hey Zombie, when you get that Liars give me a heads up, kinda curious as to what direction they've gone on this one.

Sure thing! From what I've heard (only snippets), its sounds
very cool; definately building on the experimentation of the
last album, but perhaps with a little more focus? Personally,
I loved They Were Wrong So We Drowned, but also felt
that it could have been a little more focused. Still, that was my
fave album of 2003... (thats when it came out, right?) I love
me the arty noise pain drone schtuff...
Last edited by ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:05 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:It's a fucking great album.

They have managed to create an album that sounds ONLY like the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, for me it gives no hint to influences, just lets you know what happens when these three talented individuals shut themselves away in a studio.

Some will say it's a little overproduced compared to Fever To Tell, Nick's guitars have definitely taken a back seat sonically so the new secret weapon that is Karen O's voice can be brought to the forefront - she sounds fantastic on every track. Some of the melodies are a lot more user friendly and main stream, but her voice gives each song the vitalness and urgency that you would expect after the debut album.

Stand out tracks for me are Phenomena, The Sweets, Warrior and Turn Into.

This is a brilliant sophomore release, not a dud track from 12, and not many albums come with that level of quality these days.

EDIT - When you get to the last 3 tracks, you will be itching to listen to Golden Lion again, they are NOT easy listening, although very rewarding after a couple of plays. Golden Lion is the obvious record company choice for first single, with the exception of Phenomena ( which will be a huge summer tune ), none of the others will sell like hot cakes, it's an album first, a really tight record.

Sounds like coolness to me! Thanks for the review!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:18 pm

Flumm wrote: Despite feeling a little like Gold Lion is a lacking slightly, ( is it only me who thinks if it wasn't for their particular charisma, that it just escapes being a mid ninties U2 b-side?), it totally came alive and made complete sense when I saw them play it on stage on the TV the other day..

This is the only song I've heard so far, and I like it. Its funny
you say it reminds you of U2, cause it reminds me of a mix
btwn SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES and LOVE AND ROCKETS;
the acoustic riff reminds me of L&R's "No New Tale to Tell" and her
"Oh-Ooohs!" remind me of Siouxsie's singing...

You know, I read something the other day that made me smile. It mentioned the fact the chorus is basically made up of "Oh oooh's", as if this was a cop out or something to be derided, and I thought to myself, why the fuck not?! It seems like the perfect way to wade in and burst any bubble of anticipation, if you ask me. And if it makes people who care how many Oh-ooohs are in their choruses, and feel the need to whinge because of it, then all the better! Nothing wrong with a good Oh-oooh! now and again.

And ZZS, I have to ask you something, if I may. I've noticed that you seem to format your posts differently than everyone elses', and it's been troubling me for a while now. Are you writing your posts in some form of meter, that my poorly educated eyes cannot discern? Do you just not like having your thoughts squeezed into the leterbox format of a PZ post? Is this the Kubrick coming out in you? Are you infact subversively trying to alter my mindhole by drip feeding me with covertly placed messages? YOU MUST TELL ME, ZSS, I MUST KNOW!

:o
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:29 pm

me likey.

They're playing in Seattle in a few weeks. I was supposed to go, but alas, a family birthday will not permit it.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Flumm wrote:And ZZS, I have to ask you something, if I may. I've noticed that you seem to format your posts differently than everyone elses', and it's been troubling me for a while now. Are you writing your posts in some form of meter, that my poorly educated eyes cannot discern? Do you just not like having your thoughts squeezed into the leterbox format of a PZ post? Is this the Kubrick coming out in you? Are you infact subversively trying to alter my mindhole by drip feeding me with covertly placed messages? YOU MUST TELL ME, ZSS, I MUST KNOW!

I will NEVER TELL!!! MWOO HA HA!!!

No, but i'm seriously, theres no plan, I just like to
keep my messages compact for some reason; more
streamlined and minimal. It soothes my mindhole.

But, you know, it probably is some weird Kubrickian
symmetrical controlfreakness coming out.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:21 pm

Flumm wrote:An d ZZS, I have to ask you something, if I may. I've noticed that you seem to format your posts differently than everyone elses', and it's been troubling me for a while now. Are you writing your posts in some form of meter, that my poorly educated eyes cannot discern? Do you just not like having your thoughts squeezed into the leterbox format of a PZ post? Is this the Kubrick coming out in you? Are you infact subversively trying to alter my mindhole by drip feeding me with covertly placed messages? YOU MUST TELL ME, ZSS, I MUST KNOW!

I will NEVER TELL!!! MWOO HA HA!!!

No, but i'm seriously, theres no plan, I just like to
keep my messages compact for some reason; more
streamlined and minimal. It soothes my mindhole.

But, you know, it probably is some weird Kubrickian
symmetrical controlfreakness coming out.

So, I guess this means I can take the microwave out of the fridge?

Phew. And there was me thinking I was being subliminally recruited into a some sort of makeshift, zombie led, flesh eating, neocon goverment overthrowing, global uber army.

I'm kind of dissapointed now. :(
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Flumm wrote:
So, I guess this means I can take the microwave out of the fridge?

Phew. And there was me thinking I was being subliminally recruited into a some sort of makeshift, zombie led, flesh eating, neocon goverment overthrowing, global uber army.

I'm kind of dissapointed now. :(

Subliminal Destroy the neofascists now!!! messages? Moi? Tear out their throats!!! Whatsoever By any means necessary!!!
gave you It is your duty to destroy the destroyers! BRING PEACE TO THE DOWNTRODDEN!!! DEATH TO THE NEOCON OVERCLASS OIL BARONS!!! that DO IT NOW!!! idea?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:58 pm

I just saw them on Monday. I also saw them on the Fever to Tell tour. The new album is definitely a progression from the last, more melodic, not quite as frantic and noisy sounding. Quite a few songs on the new record actually have acoustic guitar!

I was a bit disappointed Monday because they played a really short set. The main part of the set was only 45 minutes! They played a 3-song encore and a 1-song 2nd encore, but even with those the set barely topped an hour. They could easily have gone on longer, because they only played 3 songs from Fever. I'd say about half or slightly more was songs from the new album, which because they're a bit slower and more melodic, resulted in a less energetic show then the last time i saw them, though still a lot more energetic than your typical band. Karen was jumping and skipping all over the stage, but not quite as wild as on the last tour. Also, they've added a 4th guy for the tour, who plays acoustic guitar, bass and some keyboards on some of the newer songs. On the older songs he just kneeled on the stage with his head down and swayed to the music, which was kind of entertaining in its own way. They did play a few older, pre-Fever songs as well. It was very cool to hear Art Star and Bang.

I'm still getting into the new record. It's good, though I don't think I'm going to end up liking it as much as Fever to Tell. That was a really great record.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:20 pm

Hell yeah yeah yeah....
I love me some Golden Lions... ;)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:31 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote: the guy who wishes he was Nick Cave

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!111

astute observation, my friend.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Madam Geneva on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:53 pm

I have always loved the YYY's since I first put on my dancing shoes for "Date with the Night", but when I first heard their new album I was a little disappointed, it seem too subdued. However, I would still like to seem them perform it- Karen O still has an energy on stage that can only be compared to an excited child!!
Madam Geneva
GLIB

Postby sleepflower on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:40 am

The YYYs are playing Reading and Leeds festival I think, so will definitely go over to catch them. Only heard the new single, but that's good and so is the last album, so expect little complaints here of what they play.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:44 pm

Oh, I just picked up Show Your Bones the other day and...

I'm disappointed.

Not that there aren't some toe-tappin' numbers on there, and
not that I don't like to hear artists try to expand their range,
but this album just feels largely wishy-washy to me; like they're
not entirely sure what direction they want to go in.

This, of course, may very well be the case.

I know this technically isn't their sophmore effort, but it feels very
much like the sophmore slump. I'll chalk it up to a transitional
phase; and I'm still curious about Karen's solo effort. I think
I'd like to hear more of her vulnerable material; mostly because
the rocking stuff on this album feels half-hearted, whereas the more
vulnerable / subdued stuff seems to have promise, but needs more
umph...

So, I'm disappointed, but I don't think they're dead yet... I have
hope for better work in the future...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:35 pm

heh, exact opposite reaction from me.

now, I've been with them from the beginning, before the hype machine and rampant buzz when they were the darlings of the yet to be signed bands, back when Bang off the self titled EP was THE fuckin' thang.

but I was not a big fan of Fever to Tell, if anyone has heard Jon Spencer's punk/art/psycho project Pussy Galore, you should know what I mean. Sure, Karen O. writes rings around Jon Spencer lyrically, but the sound flat out jacked Pussy Galore and early JSBX.

But Show Your Bonesactually shows growth, both lyrically and sonically. No longer mired in the post-punk sludge that wasn't as novel as folks made it out to be, Nick Zinner and that Brian Chase set out to create their own sound (albiet with nods to many post-punkers), to blaze their own path, to become distinct...sure, it ain't novel (I mean, what can be done with drums and guitar that hasn't been done before?), but to me they escape the dreaded sophmore slump that some seem to be claiming this album falls into. Extra props for not writing an album about fame and all its suckage (the general folly of most sophmore efforts from bands who blew up).

And I just frackin' LOVE Cheated Hearts, a song that's already on my hot list, and one that I can see makin' my single of the year. Fucker keeps growin' on me, and I loved it the first time I heard it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:41 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:heh, exact opposite reaction from me.

now, I've been with them from the beginning, before the hype machine and rampant buzz when they were the darlings of the yet to be signed bands, back when Bang off the self titled EP was THE fuckin' thang.

but I was not a big fan of Fever to Tell, if anyone has heard Jon Spencer's punk/art/psycho project Pussy Galore, you should know what I mean. Sure, Karen O. writes rings around Jon Spencer lyrically, but the sound flat out jacked Pussy Galore and early JSBX.

Bang is easily my favorite YYY song. I LOVE that first ep, I think its
their best work. Its also the first disc of their I bought.

Fever Too Tell I liked alot, but not as much as the ep. I don't think
it sounds anything like Pussy Galore or Blues Explosion. Certainly, there
is a tinge of the no-wave/artpunk sound there, but in a more pop context.
Overall, I think it is a fantastic album.

Show Your Bones seems like an effort to be more poppy, but not
feeling really sure about it. It's not like I think it's bad, just
uninspired.

Oh, btw, the new LIARS is absolutely drop dead fucking amazing.
Best album of 2006 without a doubt. Buy it immediately!!!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Wed May 30, 2007 9:54 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Perhaps its the spastically sexy energy and strange
vulnerablilty of Karen O?

hmmmm, well I saw them perform at BFD Live 105 a few summers ago. They shared center stage with Violent Femmes and The Beastie Boys.

I like their tunes but that spastic energy was a little over the top. Just get a pogo stick and be done with it. That chick wouldn't stop jumping on the stage. Damn.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:57 am

The song they provided for the Spider-Man 3 soundtrack has swayed me toward trying their stuff out again.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:18 pm

new EP, Is Is, available for early perusal if one knows where to look.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:32 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:new EP, Is Is, available for early perusal if one knows where to look.

Your hard drive?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Zarles on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:01 am

I just downloaded my copy of 'Is Is' from keepcool's hard drive. It's great! They were just on Letterman, and Dave practically drooled all over Karen when they were done. New shit sounds awesome!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:57 am

Is is came out on July 24th - it's a throwback to their pre- Show Your Bones material, and the sound of indie rock 4 or five years ago. Also, it is really fucking good.

But you already knew that, didn't you?

We're three we're three in the dark tonight
and baby my snake is a shark tonight ...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Zarles on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:46 am

They should've used your avatar as their album cover. :lol:

It really is a good EP. That first song is teh wacky.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:51 am

i'd eat that for breakfast
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fawst on Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:54 pm

One of those bands I heard a few times (Maps is great), and never bought the CD. I'll have to actually check them out. I need some new music to listen to.

Can't keep listening to dredg ALL the time... :)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:07 pm

Is is is the only thing I know by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but Is is is totally badass badass.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:04 am

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:08 am

Although it seems as though everyone is going Disco nowadays I'm still impossibly excited about this.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:02 pm

Two tracks so far have been leaked (purposefully, I imagine, as they can also be heard on their myspace).

Heads will roll and zero (streaming only).
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:08 pm

tapehead wrote:Two tracks so far have been leaked (purposefully, I imagine, as they can also be heard on their myspace).

Heads will roll and zero (streaming only).

I'd say there's a strong Arthur Russell influence there. And it bloody well rocks. Eeeeexcellent.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:20 am

It's fucking wonderful...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:28 am

zero is just ok
but heads will roll sounds frikkin awesome.

EDIT:
i take that back, zero is pretty good. but not as awesome as heads will roll.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Great band. Nuff said.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Oh yeaaaaaaaah, oh yeaaaaaaaaah, oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah -- entourage main theme
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby oysterboy on Fri May 08, 2009 11:37 am

These guys are great and their new album was no disappointment either.

Skeletons, Runaway, and Little Shadow were my favs. Fantastic songs. and the alternative bonus versions were just as good!
oysterboy
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 08, 2009 12:08 pm

i just got this record yesterday, and i've only listened to the first 6 or 7 songs, but so far it's probably my least favorite of their records. maybe it will grow on me, but on first listen it seems kind of dull and lifeless. i really like heads will roll, but nothing else has struck a chord with me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Music