THE JIMMY FALLON SHOW! (Now w/ 100% Less Conan)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

THE JIMMY FALLON SHOW! (Now w/ 100% Less Conan)

Postby tfactor on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:18 pm

OMG Late Night is officially dead to me. Jimmy Fallon is downright unwatchable, his style of humor is just not funny to anyone but him usually. I think he is having a great time and all but it sucks as a show, I can't see this lasting very long.

Is anyone watching this? This is his first week taking over for Conan but it has been really bad! Don't bother if you haven't seen it, its really not worth the time. I'm taking it off my dvr recording list honestly.

Conan doesn't start the Tonight show for a couple more months either, BOOOOOOOO!! :evil:

T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Re: LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O'BRIEN (Now with more beard?)

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:51 pm

tfactor wrote:OMG Late Night is officially dead to me. Jimmy Fallon is downright unwatchable, his style of humor is just not funny to anyone but him usually. I think he is having a great time and all but it sucks as a show, I can't see this lasting very long.

Is anyone watching this? This is his first week taking over for Conan but it has been really bad! Don't bother if you haven't seen it, its really not worth the time. I'm taking it off my dvr recording list honestly.

Conan doesn't start the Tonight show for a couple more months either, BOOOOOOOO!! :evil:

T

No way am I coming close to watching this... I hate that douche.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 pm

i recorded one episode, just to watch the musical guest santigold. out of morbid curiosity i watched a bit of an interview (tina fey? i think) and the first monologue joke. that's all i could stomach.

during santigold's performance, they had a bunch of people in bleachers and rafters above and to the side of the stage. is that something they do for every musical guest, or was it just this one? if they do that for everyone, then that's really fucking stupid and annoying.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:43 pm

I watched the first Fallon episode with DeNiro.
It was horrible, horrible, horrible.

Most of his monologue tanked.
It all came across like he did on Weekend Update, and he sucked at that.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: THE JIMMY FALLON SHOW! (Now w/ 100% Less Conan)

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:48 pm

I haven't seen Fallon do his thing yet, so it might be really awful, but Conan kind of stumbled in his first year as well. The good thing about talk shows (for the hosts, anyway) is that they have a pretty long grace period to find their footing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Ribbons wrote:The good thing about talk shows (for the hosts, anyway) is that they have a pretty long grace period to find their footing.

Tell that to Chevy Chase...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:18 pm

Who? :twisted:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:36 am

I'll stick with the recovering alcoholic Scotsman for my late night comedy dose, thanks.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:52 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:I'll stick with the recovering alcoholic Scotsman for my late night comedy dose, thanks.

i don't care much for his skits, but ferguson is easily the best of the bunch when it comes to interviews.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:17 am

with respect to jimmy fallon on late night, i have only four words: I Hope He Fails.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Smasher on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:10 am

Speaking as a Scotsman, I'm just plain embarrassed by Ferguson. I caught the first Fallon show, and I thought, while he was markedly nervous, his slow-jam of the news was grin-worthy.
Smasher
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nick on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:23 pm

I just caught a few episodes on Hulu and I'll say this: the only good thing about these 2 first episodes (especially the first one) was The Roots

I mean, it is basically unwatchable

I'll come back to it in a month or two and see if anything has improved, until then I'll DVR Ferguson . At least Falon is in HD.
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:47 am

Boo. Fallon sucks. You know who should host a late night show instead? Joel McHale.

except then he couldn't do The Soup.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:46 am

I left the TV on NBC while I watched a movie on my computer last night (I'm justifying why it was even on the channel!).
When my movie was done, Public Enemy was performing "Bring The Noise" on Fallon's show... with The Roots as their backup band. Awesome.

But Fallon still sucks.
Hard.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Fievel wrote:I left the TV on NBC while I watched a movie on my computer last night (I'm justifying why it was even on the channel!).
When my movie was done, Public Enemy was performing "Bring The Noise" on Fallon's show... with The Roots as their backup band. Awesome.

I concur.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Fievel wrote:I left the TV on NBC while I watched a movie on my computer last night (I'm justifying why it was even on the channel!).

I concur.

I thought Professor Grif was in jail or kicked out of the group or something (of course, this was probably 15 years ago). I see his soldiers are getting a bit flabby in their old age.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:37 am

I really hate Jimmy Fallon, but tonight Paul Simon is going to be performing.... WITH The Roots!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to DVR it so I don't have to watch one unnecessary moment.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:31 am

This show is still on?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:45 am

so sorry wrote:This show is still on?

sadly, yes.

i wonder what the ratings are? i can't imagine they're very good.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:01 pm

The ratings for Mr. Fallon have been pretty much all good. He has won every night he has been on in the only audience category NBC cares about, viewers 18 to 49.

“It’s great, exciting; it’s really been satisfying,” Mr. Fallon said of his 11-week foray into the world of monologues, desk comedy and celebrity interviews. “Oprah’s following me on Twitter.”

The ratings have certainly leveled off from their initial high point. That may encourage his competitors, though producers of other late-night shows acknowledged being surprised that Mr. Fallon has done so well as the new act in late night — an arena that has swallowed up many newcomers. For his first month, Mr. Fallon’s ratings were better than what Mr. O’Brien averaged for the 2008-9 season. Since then he has dropped slightly behind Mr. O’Brien.

Mr. Fallon had also won — by diminishing margins — every week in terms of total audience until the first week of May, when he was finally caught by Craig Ferguson and his “Late Late Show” on CBS. But he bounced back and won again the next week.

source
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:01 pm

there goes my faith in 18-to-49 year olds.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Fallon has no confidence in what he's doing. He's always jittery in his delivery, messing up lines, stumbling on reading cue cards, and acts like a non-celebrity geeking out with every guest he has. He reminds me of Chris Farley's "That was awesome!" talk show skit on SNL..... except this is real life, and there's no excuse for that behavior.
In a nutshell, he's horrible at what he's doing.

Over at CBS is Craig Ferguson, who is extremely confident in his delivery. Some of the things he does/says are lame, but he's quick to admit that. I can see people not liking his humor, but I enjoy it - even the puppets and lip-synch dance skits at the beginning, which I usually find hilarious even though I don't want to laugh at them because they're so absurd.
In a nutshell, he's a pro at what he's doing.

And then there's Jimmy Fallon who I think is really good, but he comes on at Midnight, in the middle of Letterman/Conan, and that just screws everything up. I rarely watch him just because of the odd time his show starts. I wish they still drank on his show like they did the first week it aired.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Yeah... Fallon was kind of like that on SNL as well. The good thing is that even bad talk show hosts generally have a pretty long grace period to find their footing, so maybe a year down the road he'll act more professional. Then again, some people never get used to being in front of a camera. It all depends on your disposition, I guess.

I do agree that Kimmel is the best of the "late night" hosts. I like the viral video stuff they do in the opening monologue, and he's surprisingly confident with his guests.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Ribbons wrote:I do agree that Kimmel is the best of the "late night" hosts. I like the viral video stuff they do in the opening monologue, and he's surprisingly confident with his guests.

Unnecessary Censorship can cause pain from laughing too hard.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:36 am

The remaining members of Monty Python (minus Michael Palin) are together for the troupe's 40th anniversary.

....and they go on the fucking Jimmy Fallon show?!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
It was the first time I watched any of his show in a very long time.

His monologues are still painfully horrible with very little laughter from the audience for a lot of the jokes. Painful.

It was good seeing the Monty Python guys though. Eric Idle really looks his age. The other guys look pretty good though.
They briefly mentioned Terry Gilliam's renouncement of his American citizenship. I didn't know that!

From Wikipedia:

In 1968, Gilliam obtained British citizenship, then held dual American and British citizenship for the next 38 years. In January 2006 he renounced his American citizenship. In an interview with Der Tagesspiegel, he described the action as a protest against then President George W. Bush, and in an earlier interview with The Onion AV Club, he also indicated that it was related to concerns about future tax liability for his wife and children. As a result of renouncing his citizenship, Gilliam is only permitted to spend 30 days per year in the United States, fewer than ordinary British citizens.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O'BRIEN

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:22 am

jimmy fallon may be a cancer on the ass of late-night tv, but he's done at least one worthwhile thing on his show

he temporarily re-united one of the greatest dc punk bands ever, jawbox, for a one-time performance on the show

that almost makes up for everything else he's ever done on tv.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:46 pm

This is pretty damn funny and awkward.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:58 pm

That is some amazing television.
And if Fallon would have been with Kidman.... Ugh.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:54 am

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Coaxial