iTunes TV

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

iTunes TV

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:56 am

Today is new music Tuesday, and on these days the first thing I do is open up iTunes to see what I might like to buy. Well I noticed they had a banner for Battlestar Galactica. Clicking on it, I discovered the first half of season 2 is now available. Curious to see if iTunes TV had expanded beyond ABC and ABC Family stuff, I went to the Television section and sure enough, the site is now loaded with all kinds of goodies. Not just current stuff either.

We now have shows like Alfred Hitchcock presents, Adam 12 and even vintage episodes of Knight Rider.

Other current stuff available includes NBCs Surface (which I am actually kind of thrilled about since I want to see it), the Office, Monk and Conan O'Brien.

Anyway, for those like me who find bittorrent and stuff like it confusing and strange, you now have more options on iTunes.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:27 am

Burl, I take it you have a video iPod? If so, what do you think of it? Have you watched any show on it before? I'm thinking about getting the wife one for X-mas since the nanos have issues with the case scratching.

I, too, was originally confused by BT and the like, but it's not that difficult once you start. Great for those British shows that you can't get here yet.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:35 am

thomasgaffney wrote:since the nanos have issues with the case scratching.

And issues with the screen failing, essentially. It's more than the 1 in a 1000 sort of breakdown, and for this reason people have begun clearing the shelves of whatever's left of the iPod Mini.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:42 am

thomasgaffney wrote:Burl, I take it you have a video iPod? If so, what do you think of it? Have you watched any show on it before? I'm thinking about getting the wife one for X-mas since the nanos have issues with the case scratching.

I, too, was originally confused by BT and the like, but it's not that difficult once you start. Great for those British shows that you can't get here yet.

I don't have one, and I really don't want one. I don't see the point of video-in-hand, but I guess if you had kids it would be a great way to keep their yaps shut for hours at a time on long drives.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:42 am

Do youhave to own a video i-pod to play these? Because I would certainly be tempted if the price is reasonable and the files aren't in some obscure Appleshit format
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:45 am

You can play them on your desktop with Quicktime and most episodes are $1.99. You can't burn them to DVD to watch on your DVD player, but you can burn them to DVD or CD for storage.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:48 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Do youhave to own a video i-pod to play these?

Question goes ditto for me. I thought that you might have one, cause I assumed that you needed it to watch the videos.

If not, that's not a bad price to catch up and see what all the excitement over Battlestar is all about.

EDIT - Oops! I take too long to type and I had to answer the phone in the middle. Thanks for the info, Burl.
Last edited by thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:00 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:You can't burn them to DVD to watch on your DVD player, but you can burn them to DVD or CD for storage.

It's only a matter of time before someone cracks this, anyway.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:08 am

That may be true, but the resolution of these doesn't lend itself to being seen on a DVD player. They are formated for the iPods, so don't expect large full screen shows. Again, its just nice for me to have the option of buying stuff I missed.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:12 am

Sounds cool. I'd just be looking to watch them on my laptop anyway. If I really like them, I'll just pick up the DVD boxset when it comes out.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:15 am

I'm not that keen on Quicktime as a format.

Ha<i></i>rry regularly rhapsodizes about Quicktime, but I have always had massive problems running it, even on fairly powerful PCs. But Hazza uses a Mac, I think - so it's no wonder he loves it so much. I'm sure it runs like a dream on Macs......
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:17 am

Quicktime seems the most stable for me. And by stable it means that 9/10 I can get something running on it. That's compared with 6/10 for Windows Media Player.

The only one I don't use is RealPlayer. It just angers me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:20 am

RealPlayer sucks ass. I use Quicktime as often as I can, and I've never had a problem with it on a PC.

I'm sure that it runs real sweet on a Mac though...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:29 am

Yeah - I hate real player too! I have the most success playing AVI files on BS player, but these days my PC is so shit that I don't watch anything at all! I either convert and burn it to VCD, or I get my friend to burn it onto DVD!

But there is hope on the horizon. A friend has offered to sell me a stolen Pentium IV desktop for £50!! That's simply too good to refuse!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:36 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:A friend has offered to sell me a stolen Pentium IV desktop for £50!! That's simply too good to refuse!

If PROPERTY OF TOM GAFFNEY is scratched off the case, I want my PC back!

Just kidding. I usually use Care Bear stickers when I put my name on things.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:07 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:But there is hope on the horizon. A friend has offered to sell me a stolen Pentium IV desktop for £50!! That's simply too good to refuse!

Unna 'less a you could a just a steal it from a him inna stead, eh? Or better yet, just a steal it right from a the source a yourself anna cut outta the middle man, eh?

Come on TITG, use a you melon, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:12 pm

HAHAHAHA! Dino, I would if I could! But I'm afraid this guy is very good at keeping his sources secret - in fact, he may even be the thief, for all I know! I certainly wouldn't be surprised.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:23 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:Just kidding. I usually use Care Bear stickers when I put my name on things.

Thomas Gaffney is a man VERY secure with his sexuality...

They put up the new episodes of BSG NOW?!?!? AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
Why now? Why right before I buy them as a X-Mas gift for a friend (cunningly allowing ME to watch the second season as well) are they released on i-tunes, a mere two weeks before the DVD is released?

Somewhere, Herc is laughing....
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:27 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Thomas Gaffney is a man VERY secure with his sexuality...

IPAMPILASH! I have the same heart tattoo on my ass! Um... Did I say that out loud?
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:29 pm

LOL!!!

I have "your name" tattooed on my ass.

Yeah, that's right..."Your Name".

Great for trash talking before a fight, and if the they look like they can take me, I just moon them and run away after he/she is temporarily blinded.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:35 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:They put up the new episodes of BSG NOW?!?!? AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
Why now? Why right before I buy them as a X-Mas gift for a friend (cunningly allowing ME to watch the second season as well) are they released on i-tunes, a mere two weeks before the DVD is released?

Somewhere, Herc is laughing....

Douche, why on God's holy name would you buy half a season on DVD anyway? BAD USE OF MONEY!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:38 pm

What's an iPod?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:40 pm

um, hi, INSTANT GRATIFICATION boy here.

or, if you're a girl and I've just had sex with you, INSTANT DISSATISFACTION boy here.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial