Universal's Classic Monsters Universe!

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Universal's Classic Monsters Universe!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:52 am

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON script review:
The Creature From the Black Lagoon... think about it for a minute — do you think it's a good idea? Is this just some producer pulling an idea out of the vault saying, "Hey Peter Jackson is reviving King Kong and horror pictures are in... This is a cherry idea"? How would you write the Black Lagoon concept into an interesting one for today's audiences?

Stop there, because you're lying to yourself if you think you can. Make this film — unless you change it completely and it'll gross (tops) 15 million... worldwide. That's 15 million assuming you don't cast Kevin Dillon, Jamie Foxx, and Paris Hilton. This means that if you're going to make a profit, you'll need to shoot it for 1 million. And that means, you'll need to hire that 'My Date with Drew' guy to direct it.

source: http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=6

http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=96
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:07 am

I recently rewatched the original Creature and was reminded by how effective a horror movie it was, by 50's standards AS WELL AS today's standards.

And is that a classic monster design or what?

Yeah, lots of elements are gonna have to be tinkered into the year 2006, but the basic shape of the movie works fine. Hell, it's BEEN working fine for 90% of horror movies ever released.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:34 am

Heheh... what a lot of a you young goddamn know-it-alla putzes donna realize is a that a the original, she done inna the 3D, eh? Holy crappa! I remember seeing the original inna the theater anna I had onna those a funny-looking glasses, eh? Anna when a we go under a the water, it's a like a giant pool of a water sitting right inna front of a you, eh?

Iffa they gonna to do it again, then a the Dino says a they should a do it inna the IMAX 3D!!!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:38 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Heheh... what a lot of a you young goddamn know-it-alla putzes donna realize is a that a the original, she done inna the 3D, eh? Holy crappa! I remember seeing the original inna the theater anna I had onna those a funny-looking glasses, eh? Anna when a we go under a the water, it's a like a giant pool of a water sitting right inna front of a you, eh?

Iffa they gonna to do it again, then a the Dino says a they should a do it inna the IMAX 3D!!!

dino - i would love to see you in those 3d glasses - maybe you should change your Av to include them for a little while - i think it would be the cat's pants...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 am

The Dino's AV is a sacred, eh? I would a never stoop a to such a gimmicks as a the 3D, eh?

I think a you have a me confused with a that putz, William Castle!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:01 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino's AV is a sacred, eh? I would a never stoop a to such a gimmicks as a the 3D, eh?

I think a you have a me confused with a that putz, William Castle!

IPAMPILASH... aww... and i was gonna ask for a little bit of The Tingler in my Av... alas...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Re: Creature From the Black Lagoon Remake

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Creature From The Black Lagoon Remake

Postby MacCready on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Talk about a thread rising from the dead....
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Still annoyed that I don't get to make this. I have no faith in Eisner but here's hoping that Gary Ross can exert some influence.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:56 pm

See, this is one where I think I wouldn't mind a remake.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:39 pm

Other than the classic scene of the gillman swimming underneath the herione and mimmicking her,
the original wasn't all that scary. The gillman was undeniably cool, however.
I'm willing to bet there's a definative Creature from the Black Lagoon film out there.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:44 am

I saw the original in 3D in college and it was pretty cool. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't thinking of doing this one in 3D, you know, just because someone said that's what everyone is doing.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:42 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I saw the original in 3D in college and it was pretty cool. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't thinking of doing this one in 3D, you know, just because someone said that's what everyone is doing.

The 3d aspect was very cool at the time. Hell if the NFL can fart around with 3D, why not?
The Vicar

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:05 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I saw the original in 3D in college and it was pretty cool. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't thinking of doing this one in 3D, you know, just because someone said that's what everyone is doing.

The 3d aspect was very cool at the time. Hell if the NFL can fart around with 3D, why not?

Did you know the Janet Jackson Superbowl was shot in 3D? Think that footage will ever surface?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

Did you know the Janet Jackson Superbowl was shot in 3D? Think that footage will ever surface?

The famous Boobbowl? In 3D? Better than listening to her music......
The Vicar

Postby buster00 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:41 pm

The Vicar wrote:Other than the classic scene of the gillman swimming underneath the herione and mimmicking her,
the original wasn't all that scary. The gillman was undeniably cool, however.
I'm willing to bet there's a definative Creature from the Black Lagoon film out there.

It's not all that scary, but there is some suspence in the film that still holds up pretty well. Compared with most of the horror films from that period, the original Creature really is damn fine stuff.

And releasing the remake in 3D is a GREAT idea!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Ditto on the 3D idea. Now the question becomes period piece or contemporary? My vote would be with a period piece.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:55 pm

From /film:
Breck Eisner wrote:I want it to be scary. It’s a bigger movie, so it’s not an R rated scary, it’s gonna be a PG-13 scary. Creature takes you to a place you’ve never been before, it’s one of the last untamed places on the edge of the Earth where you find this creature that has been living and hiding there forever, basically. It’s definitely going for a dark adventure tone, but I want it to be scary.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby instant_karma on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:37 pm

TheButcher wrote:From /film:
Breck Eisner wrote:I want it to be scary. It’s a bigger movie, so it’s not an R rated scary, it’s gonna be a PG-13 scary. Creature takes you to a place you’ve never been before, it’s one of the last untamed places on the edge of the Earth where you find this creature that has been living and hiding there forever, basically. It’s definitely going for a dark adventure tone, but I want it to be scary.

How can somebody actually use the phrase 'PG-13 scary' without feeling like a complete gentleman?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:40 pm

instant_karma wrote:
TheButcher wrote:From /film:

How can somebody actually use the phrase 'PG-13 scary' without feeling like a complete gentleman?

Ask Breck Eisner whenever you run into him. He'll be the guy behind the counter at 7-11 after he fucks up this and Flash Gordon.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 28, 2009 3:13 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Thu May 28, 2009 10:40 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Bloody Disgusting: 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' Loses Eisner

That's probably for the better, given that "PG-13 scary" comment. Then again, that PG-13 bullshit is probably Universal's idea. They want another franchise to milk now that The Mummy series has pretty much run its course.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri May 29, 2009 7:34 am

Gary Ross wrote Pleasantville and Big - I got to say, it's not bad. And does this movie have to be an R? Does it have to contain loads of bloodshed?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby buster00 on Fri May 29, 2009 10:17 am

papalazeru wrote:Gary Ross wrote Pleasantville and Big - I got to say, it's not bad. And does this movie have to be an R? Does it have to contain loads of bloodshed?

I doesn't have to contain loads of bloodshed, no. You can get away with just enough gore in a PG-13.

This whole picture just smells like another Indiana Jones wannabe waste of time.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:28 pm

From IGN:SDCC 09: Robert Rodriguez Panel
Rodriguez said that he's producing the remake of The Creature From the Black Lagoon now, which he said was as fun as any of the family films he's made.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:54 am

From Variety:
Creature to Feature Rinsch?

Mike Fleming wrote:
Universal Pictures is in early talks with Carl Erik Rinsch to direct “Creature From The Black Lagoon,” the remake of the 1954 U film about an undersea creature that terrorizes a scientific expedition.

Strike Entertainment’s Marc Abraham and Eric Newman produce with Gary Ross.

Deal would be the second big U picture for Rinsch, who will make his feature directing debut on “47 Ronin,” the epic period samurai swordsmen tale that takes place in 18th Century Japan, and will star Keanu Reeves. That picture is expected to begin production next year.

Rinsch shoots highly visual commercials for RSA owners Ridley and Tony Scott. The Scotts once courted Rinsch to direct a prequel to “Alien,” until Ridley Scott decided to helm that film, returning to a franchise he originated.

Universal has been keen to reprise “Creature,” one of its most famous monster franchises. In a previous incarnation, the studio had Breck Eisner attached to direct a script by Ross, whose father, Arthur A. Ross, co-wrote the original.

Rinsch is repped by CAA.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:26 am

From Hero Complex:
'Creature From the Black Lagoon' emerges

Steven Zeitchik wrote:When director Breck Eisner parted ways with Universal's remake of "Creature From the Black Lagoon" earlier this year, fans of the 1950s camp classic wondered if and when the new film would ever see the light of day.

But now the story of Gill-Man and his victims is getting a new director -- and possibly some new momentum. Carl Rinsch, the hot commercials director who recently signed on to direct the samurai adventure "47 Ronin" for Universal, is now also in talks to direct "Creature From the Black Lagoon" for the studio.

The movie, which was originally shot and shown in 3D -- a very primitive, 1950s kind of 3D -- revolves around a mythic monster who spooks scientists (and the requisite beautiful damsel) in the Amazon.

Meanwhile, Eisner has signed on to a film that's kind of new but kind of familiar (and scary): "The Brood." That's the David Cronenberg horror flick about a woman who telepathically communicates with her group of mutant children, instructing them to act out violently. Eisner's on board to direct the new version, which is written by Cory Goodman for financier Spyglass Entertainment.

Cronenberg's early film (it was released in 1979, part of his own brood of '70s horror movies, two years before his landmark "Scanners"), is regarded as one of the scarier in the supernatural-horror genre. And Eisner knows scary: He just finished directing the remake of the George Romero military-experiment-gone-awry film "The Crazies," which is coming out in February.

As for "Black Lagoon," it wouldn't be the first time the sea-monster movie was brought back to life. Universal has tried several times over the past three decades, with everyone from John Landis to Peter Jackson contemplating a stab. (Jackson chose "King Kong" instead. Hey, you can't be right all the time.)

More recently, Gary Ross of "Seabiscuit" fame wrote a draft of the screenplay (in a nice bit of continuity, he's the son of Arthur Ross, who co-wrote the original). And Eisner had done a rewrite. But the studio is apparently back to the drawing board on the script.

All of these movies are part of a new crop of horror films -- Universal has "The Wolfman" with Benicio Del Toro set to come out early next year, and also is developing a new version of "Bride of Frankenstein." The tagline for the original "The Brood" is "They're waiting for you." You could say the same for monster remakes.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:52 am

'Creature From the Black Lagoon' Nabs a Writer (THR Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Dave Kajganich, who wrote the Daniel Craig-Nicole Kidman thriller The Invasion several years ago, has been tapped to pen Universal’s remake of Creature From the Black Lagoon

Eric Newman and Marc Abraham of Strike Entertainment are producing as well as Gary Ross and Allison Thomas via their Larger Than Life Productions. (Ross’s father was one of the writers on the original.)

Despite earlier reports, Carl Rinsch is not attached to direct.

The 1954 movie centered on a prehistoric water-breathing humanoid monster that lived in a remote Amazonian river and a group of scientists that want to study him.

The studio has been trying to remake the title since the early 1980s and Kajganich is starting from scratch.

The scribe is known for his horror scripts. Invasion was a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and while the movie production was troubled, it paved the way for him to work on the remake of Pet Sematary. Recently he worked on high-profile adaptation of Stephen King’s It and The Stand, which are in development at Warners.

He is repped by UTA, Madhouse Entertainment and Jackoway Tyerman.

Universal’s vp of production Anikah McLaren and creative exec Sara Scott are overseeing the project for the studio. Kristel Laiblin will exec produce for Strike.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Universal's Classic Monsters

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:58 pm

Screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan to Create Crossover Universe for UNIVERSAL MONSTERS Starting with THE MUMMY

Universal Taps Alex Kurtzman, Chris Morgan To Relaunch Classic Movie Monster Franchises
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:EXCLUSIVE: In recent years Universal Pictures has become defined by its The Fast And The Furious, Despicable Me, Bourne and Jurassic Park franchises. But the studio’s most enduring legacy is its library of classic movie monsters that include Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, Creature Of The Black Lagoon, The Invisible Man, Bride Of Frankenstein, and The Mummy. Universal is now dedicating renewed resources and an unprecedented, far-reaching commitment to revitalize its monster heritage.

The studio is in early stages of developing a substantial new production endeavor that will expand and unify a network of classic characters and stories. The architects of that narrative will be Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan. Kurtzman recently broke with partner Roberto Orci, but his big-scale projects have included Transformers, Star Trek and The Amazing Spider-Man. Morgan is the writer behind five installments of The Fast And The Furious, which has been Universal’s most reliably lucrative franchise. It’s not set in stone yet if either will write, but they will soon be going around town enlisting talent to bring new cinematic life to these enduring characters from lore, literature and Universal’s own library. While Universal has selectively tapped its Movie Monster library for The Mummy, Van Helsing, The Wolfman, and the upcoming Dracula Untold, this will be the first time that the studio has formalized an approach to these classic characters in a cohesive, connected way rather than as a series of stand-alone projects by disparate filmmaking teams.

They’ve begun the meetings to put together an interconnected slate of Monster films, and the first will be a reboot of The Mummy, which will be released April 22, 2016. Part of their duty will be to work closely with production, marketing, promotions and consumer product to support the revival. They will also reevaluate projects which have preexisting attachments, and bring it under one cohesive strategy.

While some of those monster pictures haven’t panned out, this seems like a smart move. If Marvel Studios and Disney can build a billion-dollar business relying on the Marvel Comics superhero character library, why shouldn’t Universal redouble its efforts to dust off and modernize the classic movie monsters that inspired many of the movie monsters we see today?

TheButcher wrote:Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman Planning Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe
Matt Goldberg wrote:In a recent interview with IGN, Orci says they’re looking to go make sure their lead characters move over into other movies [via CS]:
“There’s an interesting thing that could happen at Universal where they have this amazing library of their old monsters and these kinds of heroes, and the idea of trying to create a universe. Van Helsing, and we’re also producing The Mummy for them. We’re kind of imagining updating these kinds of things. You don’t want to just make remakes when you’re doing a thing, unless it’s worthy of being a remake, but when you have an idea for something that can actually be made different and yet be true to what it was. We just had a notion of how to make it modern and have a slightly different tone. It’s not going to be just a remake.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Universal's Classic Monsters

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:07 am

Collider:
Alex Kurtzman Gives Updates on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3, SINISTER SIX, and VENOM; Talks Universal Monster Universe Plans
Christina Radish wrote:On the cinematic side, what’s front and center on your plate, right now?

KURTZMAN: Front and center right now is Chris Morgan and I working on getting The Mummy off the ground and building up our Monster Universe. That’s where I’m spending my time. And working with Drew Goddard on Sinister Six.

Guillermo del Toro has always loved Frankenstein. Would you want to get him involved, in some way?

KURTZMAN: Nothing would make us happier. We’re only at the beginning exploratory phase of all of it, but I’m a crazy huge Guillermo del Toro fan. So, anything he wants to be involved in, we’d be honored.

What is your big picture view of the Monster Universe that you’re working on?

KURTZMAN: I think it’s incredibly important to all of us to start focusing on each movie, and make each movie great, rather than thinking, “Okay, we want to do The Avengers next.” If that comes along, it will come along organically. When I was a kid, going to Universal Studios, which was all I wanted to do, all the time, there was a show that was all the monsters, and I loved that show. I was obsessed with Dracula. I was obsessed with Frankenstein. I was obsessed with the Wolfman. This guy used to get stretched on a rack, live and in front of the audience. It was so cool. It’s very exciting. It’s like being a kid in a candy store, getting to play with all those things again, at the very studio that birthed these monsters, in the first place. Most importantly, we’re really wanting to just do each one right. I think the world will come to us, if we build them correctly.

Is there a lesser one in the monster pantheon that you’re hoping to make an A-lister?

KURTZMAN: Some monsters will get their own movie. Other monsters will appear in other movies, as secondary characters. The balance of that is what we’re working out right now.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:32 pm

VAN HELSING Storyboards Reveal Unused Creature From The Black Lagoon Scene
2004's Van Helsing, which was written and directed by Stephen Sommers ("The Mummy"), planned on including the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Come see storyboards for the unused scene.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Universal Dates Second Monster Universe Movie for 2017
Universal has staked out the date of Friday, April 21, 2017, for its second monster franchise film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Creature From The Van Helsing Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:44 am

‘Fargo’s Noah Hawley To Adapt His Novel ‘Before The Fall’ In Sony Pic Deal
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:Hawley, while readying another season of Fargo, is separately scripting an untitled project at Universal that will be part of that studio’s classic monster franchise push.

Universal Monster Shared Universe Movie Set for Spring 2017 Release
Van Helsing is a strong possibility for the 2017 date
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:04 am

{TB EXCLUSIVE} JEFF PINKNER WILL CONJURE UNIVERSAL’S “CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON”
Pinkner served as showrunner for ABC’s cult sci-fi series Fringe
Josh Lyons wrote:The Amazing Spider-Man 2 writer Jeff Pinkner has been brought on to rewrite Universal’s CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. Akiva Goldsman is overseeing the project for Universal.

Given his credits, Pinkner seems well-suited to the task of resurrecting the sci-fi horror classic. Pinkner was a showrunner for ABC’s cult sci-fi series Fringe, and he’s currently adapting Stephen King’s The Dark Tower. He’s also one of a dozen writers involved in Paramount’s Transformers writers’ room experiment, having recently submitted a treatment for Transformers 5, and serves as a showrunner for CBS’ summer series Zoo.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Universal's Classic Monsters Family

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:57 am

Universal to Release a Monster Movie Every Year; Films Will Explore “Family Identity”
Universal hopes to give Marvel and 'Star Wars' a run for their money with their stable of old school heroes: Dracula, Wolfman, and The Mummy.

How Universal Plans to Bring Its Monster Movies Back to Life (EXCLUSIVE)
Brent Lang wrote:At a time when other studios are furiously raiding the vaults of comic books and graphic novels, trying to find the next Marvel and DC Comics, Universal is deviating from the superhero movie playbook — at the same time it mimics some of its strategies.

The studio has tapped Alex Kurtzman (“Transformers”) and Chris Morgan (“Furious 7”) to revive the monsters that were the studio’s stock in trade during the golden age of Hollywood. Together, they’re overseeing a team that’s busy mixing in elements of those classic films, such as the bolts in Frankenstein’s neck, with a modern setting tied to contemporary themes.

“This is not a heightened world,” Morgan says. “We’re exploring issues of family identity and questions of, ‘Where do I belong in the world?’ ”

The films are taking a page from Marvel in certain ways, however. Just as the comic book label launched its onscreen group of heroes in interconnected films before teaming them in one big superstream adventure with “The Avengers,” Universal is planning to create a shared universe for its creatures. “The characters will interact with each other across movies,” says Donna Langley, chair of Universal Pictures. “We’re incubating it at the moment, and we’re taking the time to get it right.”

The plan is for a new monster movie to come out every year. The first of these, based on the character of the Mummy, will begin shooting in early 2016, with other pictures centered on Dracula, Van Helsing, Bride of Frankenstein and the Wolfman following in short order. To prepare, Kurtzman and Morgan obsessively watched Universal monster films made with the likes of Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi, and to broaden the sense of genre, augmented that with a diet of Hammer Horror pictures and other creepy works.

“We’re creating a mythology, so we’re looking at this canon and thinking, ‘What are the rules?’ ” Kurtzman says. “What can we break and what are the ones that are untouchable?”

Storyboard artists and designers are creating the look and feel of the various productions, and each of the 10 writers working on the project has been assigned a monster to oversee.

“The idea is that we have a deep bench of brains to consult with about how their monster fits into our world as we go forward,” Kurtzman explains.

To head its team, Universal brass has found two self-confessed horror geeks who credit pictures like “Dracula” and “Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein” with inspiring their love of film.

“I was raised on monster movies,” Morgan says. “I used to make my own fake puke, so I wouldn’t have to go to school and could stay home and watch things like ‘Cat People’ on TV. I can still tell you what I used — orange juice, Saltines, Pepsi and milk.”

Both men think that after more than a decade of seeing Captain America, Batman and other heroes routinely save civilization, moviegoers are ready for a change of pace.

“Heroes tend to be perfect, but most people in an audience aren’t ever going to know what it’s like to be the smartest, strongest or fastest person alive,” Morgan says. “But there’s a darkness inside everybody. And everyone wants to be able to turn a curse into empowerment. The monsters have been in the shadows, and now it’s time to bring them out into the light.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Wolf Man Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:53 am

‘The Wolf Man’ Reboot Will Kill a Bunch of Villagers and Feel Really Bad About It in 2018
Jacob Hall wrote:We have written about our trepidation over Universal’s plans to revive their classic monsters several times now. Sure, the “shared universe” approach works wonders for the likes of Marvel, but is it really the right way to approach classic characters like Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Mummy? Do we need Van Helsing to brush shoulders with the Creature from the Black Lagoon? Will he have to endure jokes about Samuel L. Jackson showing up after the credits to recruit the monsters for a secret team? It’s enough to cause Universal monster fans to break out in an icy sweat.

But enough of that for now. These movies are happening! And while The Mummy is happening first, it looks like The Wolf Man reboot will be next in line. It has a release date and everything.

According to JoBlo, The Wolf Man will open on March 30, 2018. That’s approximately one year after The Mummy‘s March 24, 2017 release date. In other words, it looks like Universal knows that these characters probably can’t tussle with the superheroes and dinosaurs that usually populate the summer months, so they might as well try to own the spring instead. Why Universal is not pushing for their classic monsters to arrive in theaters close to Halloween is a question beyond our pay grade.

The screenplay for the new Wolf Man was written by Aaron Guzikowski, who is best known for writing the intense (if occasionally ludicrous) thriller Prisoners. Apparently, horror is his thing now since he’s just been hired to rewrite the next Friday the 13th movie.

Since director Alex Kurtzman and Universal are pursuing Tom Cruise to star in The Mummy, we imagine that they’ll also go after some big name talent for The Wolf Man. And they should: it’s one helluva part. All of the Universal monsters are tortured souls, but Larry Talbot is tragedy personified. Here is a good man who, despite resisting it with every fiber of his being, transforms into a monster when the moon is full and wreaks havoc, targeting anyone with a pulse. This is a part for a movie star.

It’s interesting that the first two films in Universal’s new monster universe revolve around characters that they’ve revived in relatively recent history. The Mummy was reimagined in 1999 as an Indiana Jones-esque action series and until the desperate and sad third movie, the franchise proved lucrative. And then there’s 2010’s The Wolfman, a noble misfire whose disastrous production is the stuff of legend. Although well-intentioned (it was a proper, classical horror movie by design) and perfectly cast (Benicio del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt, and Hugo Weaving do everything they can), the film is is really just one-jaw-dropping disaster of a scene after another. Who can forget the grand climax, where two CGI werewolves punch each other for all kinds of stupid reasons? Or the scene where a CGI werewolf leaps from rooftop to rooftop like he’s Spider-Man?

Then again, the worst of the Mummy movies and The Wolfman have nothing on the embarrassing heap that is Van Helsing and Universal is also planning to reboot that as well.

With The Mummy arriving in 2017 and The Wolf Man in 2018, it is time to start pondering which character gets 2019. With scripts centering on Van Helsing, the Bride of Frankenstein, and the Invisible Man currently in the works, your guess is a good as ours.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Son Of Shaolin/The Wolf Man Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:56 am

Dwayne Johnson Sets Jay Longino Graphic Novel ‘Son Of Shaolin’ At Sony
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures has acquired Son Of Shaolin, a feature pitch based on the soon to be published graphic novel created and written by scribe Jay Longino. Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia from Seven Bucks Productions will produce, and while I’m told his commitment is only that, I’ve heard there’s an eye toward The Rock potentially being involved in some onscreen capacity. That’s being understandably downplayed for the moment, given Johnson’s numerous starring commitments: beyond those, there are persistent rumors Universal wants him howling at the moon when it gets around to the Wolf Man movie that is part of its classic monsters franchise revival plans. Script will be written by Longino, who co-scripted the Renny Harlin-directed Jackie Chan-Johnny Knoxville team up Skiptrace that Saban Films will release in the fall. He will also be executive produces alongside Ryan Kalil, the perennial All-Pro center for the Carolina Panthers. It was Kalil who financed production of the graphic novel through his Strange Turn Entertainment banner.

They are keeping the plot under wraps, but I’m told the hope is it has the recipe to start a global franchise, a contemporary Kung-Fu story that intertwines Shaolin mythology with many of the current issues faced by teens growing up in a gentrifying neighborhood. Matt Milam brought the project in to the studio and will oversee. Aside from the China-set Skiptrace, Longino last year sold a China-set sports drama to Fox 2000 with Temple Hill producing. The scribe is repped by Verve, ROAR and attorney Todd Rubenstein. Johnson is WME.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Universal's Classic Monsters Family

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:44 am

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 09, 2016

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942) @ 8:00 PM

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) @ 9:15 PM

House of Frankenstein (1944) @ 10:45 PM
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Universal's New Classic Monsters

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:47 pm

Universal Taps 'The Expendables' Writer to Pen 'The Wolf Man' (Exclusive)
Dave Callaham will work on the script for a new film based on the 1941 Universal movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:19 pm

‘The Mummy’: Alex Kurtzman Confirms ‘Dracula Untold’ Is Not Canon, Teases Jekyll’s Role
Plus, whether or not Universal aims to bring back the 'Creature from the Black Lagoon.'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: "Show me the Mummy!"

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: "Show me the Mummy!"

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:28 am

The Big Change The Mummy Had To Make Because Of X-Men: Days Of Future Past
I'll let you in on a secret. There was a moment when I had sort of rendered a design that I liked for a male version of The Mummy. And in that version of The Mummy, the Mummy had been born with a skin pigmentation that at the time would have made him really sort of an outcast. And I thought it was an interesting backstory, because it began to tell the story of someone who had been bullied, which I found topical. I was reaching for a way to make the Mummy a character who is relatable, understandable, and that spoke to issues that we're dealing with now.

I was going down that road, and then I saw the end of Days of Future Past. And they had the character that Oscar Isaac wound up playing as a boy, and it was, I kid you not, the exact same design. And I was like, 'Oh, man! That is not good!' And actually it was the catalyst, it was the moment of, 'Okay, not only is this not going to be different enough, Bryan Singer just did it, I definitely don't want to go down that road.' I had had that voice in my head for some time to make it a woman, and that was the moment where, the minute I saw that post-credits scene, I went, 'We have to start over.' I don't want to mess around even remotely with anything that feels familiar or feels like it's been done. I have to go in totally new territory.'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GDT's Creature From the Black Lagoon Remake?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:13 am

‘The Shape of Water’: Doug Jones Reveals Story Details for Guillermo del Toro’s Next Film
The 'Hellboy' actor plays a fish-man in the Cold War-centric drama, and he has a bold prediction for how the film will be received.

Alexandre Desplat is scoring Guillermo del Toro’s The Shape of Water
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Universal's Classic Monsters: Hellboy 3?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:34 am

‘Van Helsing’ Co-Writer Eric Heisserer Teases His Explicitly Non-Superhero Take on the Character
"I don’t like the idea that we’re infusing our public and our pop culture with the idea that only super people can solve the world’s problems. I like the idea of the everyday hero stepping up to the plate and getting things fixed.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Universal's Classic Monsters Universe!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 am

TrackingBoard:
DAN MAZEAU TO WRITE “VAN HELSING” MOVIE FOR UNIVERSAL’S CLASSIC MONSTERS UNIVERSE (EXCLUSIVE)
Lee Rosenbaum wrote:Universal has hired Wrath of the Titans scribe Dan Mazeau to write the VAN HELSING reboot that is part of the studio’s classic monsters universe, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

As the architects of the universe, Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan will produce the film, though plot details remain under wraps somewhere in Transylvania.

Mazeau was part of Universal’s writers room for the monsters universe, which also included Noah Hawley (Legion), Aaron Guzikowski (Prisoners) and Ed Solomon (Men in Black). His hiring isn’t exactly recent, as Van Helsing has been Mazeau’s baby since as far back as September, but his involvement had never been reported until now.

Oscar nominee Eric Heisserer (Arrival) and Jon Spaihts (Doctor Strange) previously worked on Van Helsing. Spaihts also co-wrote The Mummy, the Tom Cruise movie that kicks off the new monsters universe this summer.

The character of Van Helsing first appeared in Bram Stoker’s Dracula as a vampire hunter, though he also chased Frankenstein and the Wolf Man in the 2004 movie starring Hugh Jackman. The Invisible Man, the Bride of Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde are also rumored to play parts in Universal’s monsters universe.

Guzikowski is currently running point on The Wolf Man, while David Koepp has been tasked with writing a present-day Bride of Frankenstein, though Kurtzman, Hawley and Jenny Lumet worked on earlier drafts. Angelina Jolie has been courted to direct the latter film, which like The Mummy, will be set in present-day.

Universal executives Jon Mone and Jay Polidoro will oversee Van Helsing for the studio.

Besides Wrath of the Titans, Mazeau has written Lunar Park for producers Tom Cruise, Doug Liman and Simon Kinberg, and rewrote the spy movie Section 6 for Universal. He also adapted the sci-fi novel Yukikaze for Warner Bros. and wrote a draft of the action-thriller World’s Most Wanted for Fast & Furious producer Neal Moritz.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 pm

it's common knowledge that Frankenstein's Monster's actual name was Neville.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:25 pm

I thought his name was Herman Munster
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Next

Return to Movie News