QT: The Man, The Myth, The Foot-Fetishist.

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:08 pm

I'd settle for Smith letting someone else direct. For all his talk of 'my style works', his films still look like shit.

And QT to make Inglorious Bastards.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Vegeta on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:08 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:But to add my 2-cents to the "worth-while" discussion, I don't think QT is self-indulgent. I do, however, think that people expect too much from him. He's directed 4.5 movies and written a few more. All of which have fit directly into his, omg, style. What more do you want from the guy?

But hey, who knows, maybe he really should shake it up a bit. And while he's doing that, maybe Tim Burton could make a movie that isn't spooky. And James Cameron could finally stop using special effects as a crutch. And George Romero could find the courage to direct my script "UNICORNS VS. TEDDY BEARS: HUG-APOLYPSE"

Sweet, it's only January and I think The Ginger Man just earned another Favorite Post Zonie nomination. :D
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:10 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:But to add my 2-cents to the "worth-while" discussion, I don't think QT is self-indulgent. I do, however, think that people expect too much from him. He's directed 4.5 movies and written a few more. All of which have fit directly into his, omg, style. What more do you want from the guy?

But hey, who knows, maybe he really should shake it up a bit. And while he's doing that, maybe Tim Burton could make a movie that isn't spooky. And James Cameron could finally stop using special effects as a crutch. And George Romero could find the courage to direct my script "UNICORNS VS. TEDDY BEARS: HUG-APOLYPSE"

:lol:

This is why I love GingerMan. He doesn't post excessively but you always get more bang for your buck.

I'm fallin' on the side of "Give QT a break, mothafuckas!"

Personally, he hasn't done a single movie that hasn't entertained. So Grindhouse bombed at the box office. That's one movie. Think about the rocky careers of Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorcese. Okay so maybe the former never really regained his step, but he still made a shitload of movies in his career. QT has such a following, and there are still so many people who think of him as one of the real modern filmmaking greats, even if he does flounder a bit in the coming years I"d be willing to bet that there will always be people who'll finance his films. And he seems like the kind of dude who (despite his claims to the contrary) will be directing till his death bed. Even if it's maybe low budget "vanity" projects (aka exactly what he wants to do and fuck any studio assholes who try to interfere.) If that's self-indulgence, I want to see more of it!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Ribbons wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:And George Romero could find the courage to direct my script "UNICORNS VS. TEDDY BEARS: HUG-APOLYPSE"

Right after he directs my script X-Men and Frosty the Snowman in the Cretaceous Period...

God almighty...those were the days :D
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Ginger I don't really think this rumor is remotely likely but I think the points brought up in here are worth discussing regardless if this pans out or not.

indeed. Shit, we've got "Movie News" threads based on other QT related rumors...whilst perusing, I found the "Come Drink with Me" thread.

really just split this off so as not to derail the other thread.

and it's a fun discussion, one that came up previously w/r/t Wes Anderson.

Jesus Christ, you guys have no sense of humor. I was making a humorous observation about the shitty source. But I can see how that would be missed in my 8-line short play entitled "Waiting for my Mocha Grande."

I enjoyed it but I didn't think I had to type big giant guffaws. I'll make sure to do that in the future.

GUFFAW.....?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:41 pm

DaleTremont wrote:

This is why I love GingerMan. He doesn't post excessively but you always get more bang for your buck.

I'm fallin' on the side of "Give QT a break, mothafuckas!"

Personally, he hasn't done a single movie that hasn't entertained. So Grindhouse bombed at the box office. That's one movie. Think about the rocky careers of Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorcese. Okay so maybe the former never really regained his step, but he still made a shitload of movies in his career. QT has such a following, and there are still so many people who think of him as one of the real modern filmmaking greats, even if he does flounder a bit in the coming years I"d be willing to bet that there will always be people who'll finance his films. And he seems like the kind of dude who (despite his claims to the contrary) will be directing till his death bed. Even if it's maybe low budget "vanity" projects (aka exactly what he wants to do and fuck any studio assholes who try to interfere.) If that's self-indulgence, I want to see more of it!

I'm with the chick with the broken face.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Can you be in a rut after one misfire? M. Night is in a rut. He's had mutliple misfires and a bit of a public relations falling out. I didn't really groove to Death Proof all that much, but I'm nowhere near prepared to write off the man that brought us Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Kill Bill, not to mention From Dusk 'til Dawn and True Romance.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Zarles wrote:I'm with the chick with the broken face.

That's Frankenhooker to you!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:54 pm

M. Night Shyamalan is a perfect example of a director in a rut. When QT hands in a turd like Lady In The Water, then we'll talk.

Right, Broken Face?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Zarles wrote:M. Night Shyamalan is a perfect example of a director in a rut. When QT hands in a turd like Lady In The Water, then we'll talk.

Right, Broken Face?

At least you're not sayin' it when I had my portrait av!

But no, I wouldn't say QT is in any kind of "rut."

"Drug-fueled Spasmodic Brainfuck" maybe, but that's kinda par for the course for him.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:01 pm

I'm also in the Give the guy a break category.

Aw hell, might as well put me into the "I don't think this film will ever actually happen" category as well.

He's QT ferfuxsake. He'll give us what he wants to give us. And we'll like it DAMMIT!
I think he's just testing out the public reaction to random things right now. Next month it might be a reprisal of Barberella. Or Valley of the Dolls. Retro is so right now, anyhow...

And Kevin Smith directing a silent movie. Holy flaming shit on a stick would that would rock.
Here's the premise...Everyone in the film is silent, except for Silent Bob. Snoogans!
[/threadjack]
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
Zarles wrote:M. Night Shyamalan is a perfect example of a director in a rut. When QT hands in a turd like Lady In The Water, then we'll talk.

Right, Broken Face?

At least you're not sayin' it when I had my portrait av!

But no, I wouldn't say QT is in any kind of "rut."

"Drug-fueled Spasmodic Brainfuck" maybe, but that's kinda par for the course for him.

When drug-fueled spasmodic brainfucks come out as beautifully as the trailer fight scene in Kill Bill Volume 2, all I can say is pass the man another prescription.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm

When asked to describe Quentin Tarantino, DaleTremont wrote:
"Drug-fueled Spasmodic Brainfuck"

That is frakking beautiful Dale.
You're really on your game this last few days.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:14 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:
When asked to describe Quentin Tarantino, DaleTremont wrote:
"Drug-fueled Spasmodic Brainfuck"

That is frakking beautiful Dale.
You're really on your game this last few days.

Especially her broken face. :D
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:59 pm

I hated Four Rooms, and I seriously disliked Death Proof.
Having said that, I can safely say that if Tarantino filmed ANYTHING with Spears and Kardashian in the lead, I would not see it.

Tarantino has made some cool films.
But don't try and convince me his shit don't stink.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:06 pm

After reading this title over and over again, I have the song "In A Rut" by the tuts stuck in my head.

You're in a rut, you've got to get out of it out of it out of it...

What kind of rut can QT possibly be in/ He's still making interesting and creative films. However badly you think Grindhouse faired, it's still an enjoyable movie. You know Raging Bull bombed, right? Not that Grindhouse is anywhere near Raging bull, just saying.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Fievel wrote:Tarantino has made some cool films.

Gotcha. When anyone in here starts trying to do that, we'll let you know.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:33 pm

Zarles wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but my shit smells like fresh baked cinnamon rolls...they gave me pills for that when I joined the Quahog Beautiful People's Club.

/sillyreferencethreadjack
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:36 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
Zarles wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but my shit smells like fresh baked cinnamon rolls...they gave me pills for that when I joined the Quahog Beautiful People's Club.

/sillyreferencethreadjack

That's why your face looks like that! As wonderful as they are, cinnamon rolls are HUGE.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:37 pm

Well, to be fair, no one has any definitive proof that his shit does indeed stink. I mean we ASSUME it stinks because that is the norm. But its entirely impossible he defies those norms.

I say we stop making assumptions about the man's bowel movements.

And I tend to side with QT, BTW.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Not enough is being made of the fact that this rumor comes from Liz Smith.

How many times in a day does that crazy bitch even know what the fuck she's talking about?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:40 pm

Quentin's shit smells like the interior of a 1970 Dodge Challenger.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:41 pm

buster00 wrote:Not enough is being made of the fact that this rumor comes from Liz Smith.

How many times in a day does that crazy bitch even know what the fuck she's talking about?

We already went over that.

C'mon guys. A few more posts about Tarantino's bowel movements and I think we'll have a strong contender for Zonie Fave Debate 2008- Does QT's shit stink?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Shut up about my face, Zarles!!! *runs away crying*

EDIT: Quentin's shit smells like the inside of a Swedish cowgirl!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:46 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
C'mon guys. A few more posts about Tarantino's bowel movements and I think we'll have a strong contender for Zonie Fave Debate 2008- Does QT's shit stink?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Shut up about my face, Zarles!!! *runs away crying*

EDIT: Quentin's shit smells like the inside of a Swedish cowgirl!

QT has proven that his shit can peel paint on a rainy day. Death-Proven, you might even say.

But I don't think he's done making good movies.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:47 pm

DaleTremont wrote:EDIT: Quentin's shit smells like the inside of a Swedish cowgirl!

:: gets in line to sniff Quentin's ass ::

Stop crying, Dale! It makes your face look funny. ;)
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Zarles wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:EDIT: Quentin's shit smells like the inside of a Swedish cowgirl!

No, no. In truth it's from smelling Quentin's ass, trying to lock down just what exactly that intoxicating odor is...

...wait for it...

*sniffs again just to be sure*

weed, taco bell, and toe jam (of various ladies but especially Uma.)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Zarles on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:00 am

DaleTremont wrote:
Zarles wrote:

No, no. In truth it's from smelling Quentin's ass, trying to lock down just what exactly that intoxicating odor is...

...wait for it...

Taco Bell!? BLASPHEMY!

Quentin's shit smells like hamburgers, the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. Then again, I hear his girlfriend's a vegetarian, which pretty much makes him a vegetarian, too, so I could be wrong.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:09 am

Zarles wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:
Zarles wrote:

...wait for it...

Taco Bell!? BLASPHEMY!

Quentin's shit smells like hamburgers, the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. Then again, I hear his girlfriend's a vegetarian, which pretty much makes him a vegetarian, too, so I could be wrong.

Ahh Zarles. Truly you are a real deal QT fan and a prince among men. I take my hat off to you, sir.

Or rather, lay my Hattori Hanzo katana at your feet.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Zarles on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:08 am

Sweet. I know a place in Texas that'll give me $250 for it. Thanks.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:49 am

If this isn't a bullshit rumor I'm sure he'll get to it right after he finishes that Friday The 13th remake.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:19 am

The whole self-indulgent thing is always a pretty wooly issue when you're discussing filmmakers. I think it ultimately boils down to semantics; self-indulgent probably isn't the right word, but whatever the right word is, it's hard to find. I can see where the people who use it are coming from, in any case. QT's movies have always had their own stamp on them, but I'd argue that his influences have become more... idiosyncratic?... with progressive films. If you had to sell them to a casual filmgoer based simply on what kind of genre they are, I think you'd be less and less likely to suceed. At the same time, I don't think he's ever been "self-indulgent" in the sense that he pursues his own interests at the expense of the quality of the film. I haven't seen Death Proof yet, but as goofy an idea as Kill Bill might sound on paper, he makes it work, by golly. This particular idea sounds batshit insane (to me), but who knows? Maybe once it comes out it'll be the greatest batshit insane movie ever. Plus it could turn out to be nothing more than a rumor.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

TARANTINO to Write 20-Page "SUPERMAN RETURNS" Review

Postby max314 on Sun May 03, 2009 7:47 pm

LINK

I've always been impressed by how, despite the size of his chin, Tarantino appears exceptionally skilled at walking around with his head jammed three feet up his own ass. But as a fellow fan of Superman Returns, even I have to admit this is kind of awesome.

I also read somewhere that Tarantino's a fan of Speed Racer, so he gets extra points there as well.

Of course, he also says of Inglorious Basterds, "“I wanted to have a masterpiece before the decade’s out.” So that kinda cancels out the Speed Racer thing.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: TARANTINO to Write 20-Page "SUPERMAN RETURNS" Review

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 03, 2009 8:20 pm

I can't wait to read it and then watch other people to rip it to shreds.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Sun May 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Could probably just go in one of our other QT threads - the foot fetish thing is really just hanging right out there these days, isn't it? Nice heels though...

The reference to the 20-page Superman review in the interview just sounds like one of his hype-laden compliments to me. He likes the movie, that's all.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 03, 2009 8:38 pm

Or maybe he's planning on writing it, but won't get to it for another 10 years or so...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DaleTremont on Sun May 03, 2009 8:52 pm

tapehead wrote:Could probably just go in one of our other QT threads - the foot fetish thing is really just hanging right out there these days, isn't it? Nice heels though...

The reference to the 20-page Superman review in the interview just sounds like one of his hype-laden compliments to me. He likes the movie, that's all.

A. That's the best picture ever.

B. Since QT comes up so often as a topic of conversation I'm hoping no one will be hopping mad if I just turn this into the general Here's-where-you-can-talk-about-Tarantino-stuff thread.

C. Superman Returns sucks.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun May 03, 2009 9:00 pm

DaleTremont wrote:C. Superman Returns sucks.

:evil:

Dear Dale:

It is on.

All the best,

-Lecko
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun May 03, 2009 9:06 pm

DaleTremont wrote:B. Since QT comes up so often as a topic of conversation I'm hoping no one will be hopping mad if I just turn this into the general Here's-where-you-can-talk-about-Tarantino-stuff thread.

Image tapehead likes this
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun May 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Foot fetishists are the foulest, most perverse people on the planet.

Simple fact.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sun May 03, 2009 10:03 pm

tapehead wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:B. Since QT comes up so often as a topic of conversation I'm hoping no one will be hopping mad if I just turn this into the general Here's-where-you-can-talk-about-Tarantino-stuff thread.

Image tapehead likes this

Fixed!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Peven on Sun May 03, 2009 11:51 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:C. Superman Returns sucks.

:evil:

Dear Dale:

It is on.

All the best,

-Lecko

Dale, don't worry, i've got your back :wink:

sincerely,

Peven

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: QT : The Man, The Myth, the Foot-Fetishist.

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 04, 2009 12:40 am

Don't worry, Lecko. I've got your back. :mrgreen:

Sincerely,

RS
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 04, 2009 2:52 am

Dear Confused Pete :? :

Thanks for the Frog the Dry Widget album.
Will send more frodis soon.
Foodle-fish.

Persiflagically yours,

Buckminster.

What?
We aren't sharing letters with each other?
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 am

Don't worry Baby,

I've Got your back

Yours Sincerely,

Sir Mixalot, esq.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 04, 2009 5:35 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Ribbons wrote:Or maybe he's planning on writing it, but won't get to it for another 10 years or so...

or he'll split it up into two 10-page reviews, released 6 months apart.
or he'll write one half of the review, and let robert rodriquez write the other half.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby max314 on Mon May 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:Or maybe he's planning on writing it, but won't get to it for another 10 years or so...

According to THIS ARTICLE, he's already written 20 pages. And he's not finished yet.

Says he'd have given Singer a 'Best Director' award for Superman Returns in 2006.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Peven on Mon May 04, 2009 2:58 pm

max314 wrote:

According to THIS ARTICLE, he's already written 20 pages. And he's not finished yet.

Says he'd have given Singer a 'Best Director' award for Superman Returns in 2006.

now the picture with him wearing the high heels makes sense.........

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 04, 2009 4:14 pm

That' s low, Peven. Low. :evil:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Mon May 04, 2009 7:58 pm

max314 wrote:

This one quotes the same NY TImes article as last time Max; there's nothing new here.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Director Discussion