American Idol

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: American Idol

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:34 am

So I'm fast-forwarding thru last night's episode, and almost immediately something weird catches my eye. About 2-3 minutes in, when the contestants come out on stage and they are getting the standing ovation from the crowd, the camera pans to the audience, and right there in front is a bald middle aged white guy in a suit, sitting stone faced with his hands on his knees. I thought it odd, but proceeded with watching the rest of the show. Way later in the show, after Anoop sings like a girl, they are showing his parents reaction to something one of the judges says, and there's that bald guy again sitting a few rows behind them, with the same stone faced look on his face.
My guess is that he's got something to do with that Fox show Fringe. Can anyone confirm?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:56 am

so sorry wrote:So I'm fast-forwarding thru last night's episode, and almost immediately something weird catches my eye. About 2-3 minutes in, when the contestants come out on stage and they are getting the standing ovation from the crowd, the camera pans to the audience, and right there in front is a bald middle aged white guy in a suit, sitting stone faced with his hands on his knees. I thought it odd, but proceeded with watching the rest of the show. Way later in the show, after Anoop sings like a girl, they are showing his parents reaction to something one of the judges says, and there's that bald guy again sitting a few rows behind them, with the same stone faced look on his face.
My guess is that he's got something to do with that Fox show Fringe. Can anyone confirm?

Either that or Billy Corgan is recruiting. :wink:

It does sound like the fringe dude tho. Didnt he show up on the superbowl or something too?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:43 am

i didn't watch last night, but apparently adam lambert sang the donnie darko version of mad world. sounds like he's following the david cook formula to win american idol, borrowing other people's song arrangements to seem original.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Yeah, that bothers me. And they let Danny Gokey use the same technique to get around performing a song that actually came out the year he was born. Nikki [Somebody]'s version of "Stand By Me" from 1980??? Bullshit!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:05 pm

he should change his name to Danny Gofukyerself
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:15 pm

'Cause that's basically what he's saying to everyone in the audience pulling a stunt like that.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:41 pm

I guess it's better than changing his name to Danny Gofukmydeddwife, which, before the bastards at Ellis Island changed it in the mid-1800's ,was Gofukmydeddwifeindabutt.

Both he and Adam cheated in a sense, but the show has allowed that shit as far as I can remember.

Scott MacIntyre actually looks like he's from the 80's.
He has really 80's hair.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:51 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:'Cause that's basically what he's saying to everyone in the audience pulling a stunt like that.

it's what i say every time i see him on my tv. "danny, gofukyerself!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:03 am

so, i'm smart enough to have figured out i need to pad the recording time on this damn show because it always runs over.
but i wasn't smart enough to realize that by running over, it would also push back the episode of fringe that followed it, which i didn't have padded.
DAMN YOU AMERICAN IDOL!!!!!!!!!!!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Yay, Scott's gone! He was blandness personified. And he always looked confused (and since he's blind, I get it, but I'm sure there's a good reason Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder always wore shades when they performed).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:56 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Yay, Scott's gone! He was blandness personified. And he always looked confused (and since he's blind, I get it, but I'm sure there's a good reason Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder always wore shades when they performed).

his eyes were less creepy than his grin. he should've worn a ninja mask.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:03 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Yay, Scott's gone! He was blandness personified. And he always looked confused (and since he's blind, I get it, but I'm sure there's a good reason Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder always wore shades when they performed).

his eyes were less creepy than his grin. he should've worn a ninja mask.

I think it was the combination of his wayward eyes and his weird grin that made him look confused.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 pm

he totally should have sang "Carry On My Wayward Eyes"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Yes! Quentin Tarantino is back tonight, this time as the mentor for "songs of the cinema." I didn't watch AI back in Season Four when he was on as a judge, but his involvement helped convince me to start. (I watched CANADIAN IDOL first--it was my gateway IDOL.) Ever since, I've rather wanted to see the QT episode, so this is the next best thing. I don't think I'll be doing any FFWDing with this one.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:38 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Yes! Quentin Tarantino is back tonight, this time as the mentor for "songs of the cinema." I didn't watch AI back in Season Four when he was on as a judge, but his involvement helped convince me to start. (I watched CANADIAN IDOL first--it was my gateway IDOL.) Ever since, I've rather wanted to see the QT episode, so this is the next best thing. I don't think I'll be doing any FFWDing with this one.

Oh man, I hope we get the coked up Quentin, not the mellow serious Quentin.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Time will tell... How was he the last time? All I've seen is a brief clip of him on YouTube giving Diana DeGarmo a less than stellar review.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:02 pm

So does anyone know if the song choice is limited to songs that were featured in films (i.e. the songs were a memorable part of the film) or is open to any song that's ever been listed in the end credits of a movie? Because that's a wider range than the lame iTunes week they had.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm not sure, but maybe it has to be a song written specifically for a movie, like "Take My Breath Away" from TOP GUN or Louis Armstrong's "We've Have All the Time in the World" from OHMSS (i.e. something eligible for an Oscar for Best Original Song.) That's probably the best way to ensure a certain threshold of "memorability."
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm calling it: Eye of the Tiger by Anoop.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:21 pm

I heard Adam is going to sing "I'm So Pretty".
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Somebody should do "The Ecstasy of Gold" from TGTB&TU and just stand there warbling for two minutes.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:51 pm

Danny Gokey must die. Seriously. As a joke to my wife a few days ago (after she told me this week's theme), I said Danny was probably going to sing "Endless Love." Fuck if I wasn't right! And he did the most bland rendition of it possible. I don't know why people like him. Every song he sings sounds exactly the same and it's all the same syrupy shit. I'm over it!!!

L'il is another contestant who just doesn't get it and it'll probably cost her this week.

Allison made me not hate "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing"; Anoop did okay with another overplayed song ("Everything I Do I Do It For You"); Adam did a predictable (but rousing) version of "Wild Thing"; Matt did okay with another Bryan Adams song (I hope there's not a Bryan Adams night this season!); Gokey bored me to tears; Kris sings another slow song, but I guess he did okay; and L'il Rounds just plain sucked.

I predict a L'il/Anoop/Allison bottom three (though if there were any justice in the world it'd be Gokey) with L'il going home.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 am

i really have nothing to say about this show anymore. except it's funny that they acknowledged that the judge's are worthless by only letting half of them give criticisms to any contestant. supposedly that was done to get the show in on time... and still it ran over. hey, here's an idea. if you want to end the show on time, cut out all the stupid fucking inane b.s. interviews. did i really need to hear about how gokey bought a guitar? then again, more time to listen to the judge's critiques wouldn't necessarily be a plus. i saw the episode back when QT was a guest judge, and he was actually better than any of the real judges. unfortunately they didn't let him judge this time, i guess 5 judges would be overkill huh? they should've had him stand in for randy and kara, they're both useless, especially randy, he is dead weight with a capital O B E S E.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:29 am

Adam should have done "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses from Terminator 2. I can't stand him, but I'd love to hear him sing some GnR.

Lil Rounds' rant got cut off on my DVR.

Danny Gokey is a grown-up David Archuletta. He's a good singer and will never EVER step outside if his "safe zone".

QT indeed WAS awesome. I'd trade him for Randy and Paula though as I think Kara gives more actual valuable criticism and advice than Paula does. I also think she's hotter than Paula, but Paula does get points for overall entertainment value as you never know which Paula is going to show up.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:33 am

Fievel wrote:Danny Gokey is a grown-up David Archuletta. He's a good singer and will never EVER step outside if his "safe zone".

he went out of his "safe zone" last night by not wearing his glasses.
actually, i think that was a blatant attempt by him to pander to the "blind vote" now that scott macintyre's off the show. adam is pulling away with the contest, and the dead wife schtick just isn't cutting it anymore, so he needs something new. "hey, look at me! i'm not wearing my glasses, so i'm blind too!" and without his glasses, he's also kind of creepy looking, though not nearly as creepy looking as scott was.

i bet after lil rounds gets booted tonight, he'll spend the next week eating tons of cheeseburgers and come back next week with his ass twice the size so he can get the "booty vote" she left "behind".
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Whoops. It was Season Three, not Four when QT was a judge. Season Five was the first one I watched, so it goes to show that QT's presence hardly made me an instant convert.

After Anoop's performance, were they booing him? or saying "Anooooop?"

I thought Simon called it about a big chunk of the audience being turned off by Adam's "Born to Be Wild." I liked it fine, but there will no doubt be a contingent of hard-core EASY RIDER fans and bikers who will think he desecrated it. Just like King Psyz's campaign to say "Fuck You" to Adam Lambert for his heretical take on "Ring of Fire." (BTW, thanks for the invite to your FUCK YOU ADAM LAMBERT group on MySpace, KP.)

I'm mystified by the shit Simon keeps heaping on Lil though. I don't get it. I don't know where it's coming from. Lil rules IMO. My ideal top three would be Adam, Allison and Lil. What do you not like about Lil, Rogue?

Kris and Matt do a pretty good job from time to time, but I think I'm racist because I hold it against them that they're just "generic white guys." Really though, they're the two most forgettable contestants, despite being talented. A lot more talented than Danny, but Danny has his douchiness as a hook, so he gets talked about more.

Edit--2 "L"s in Allison.
Last edited by RaulMonkey on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm

I agree that Kris and Matt tend to be forgettable. I usually think they do well enough while I'm watching them, but their performances never stick with me for some reason.

My problem with Lil is that a) she is not as good as she thinks she is, b) she is often overreaching in her performances, which result in cracked notes and pitch issues, and c) she often sings songs that are either bland or offer nothing beyond the original artist's interpretation (or both). I don't feel she routinely brings something extra to the songs. She's a serviceable singer most weeks, but I never watch her and think that she could have a viable career ahead of her. What separates her from every other R&B/gospel hopeful out there? Nothing.

Allison has passion in her performances, even if they aren't always pitch perfect. Same thing with Adam. Anoop also displays passion most weeks, but I don't think he is artful enough to transcend the songs he sings. Gokey is just syrupy and one-note. He has the same problem as Lil, except he can sing a little better and he has a dead wife.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:08 pm

So instead of Allison being in the bottom three as I predicted, it was Matt. And instead of Lil going home, it was Matt . . . except the judges saved him. I seriously doubt they would have saved Lil! She should count herself lucky.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:57 am

Raul you're more than welcome for the invite. In fact good old Moriarty joined the group!

How awesome is that? He knows some people who know some people... Maybe word will get out.

Adam can't sing, he's no different than Norman Gentile. It's an act, a show. I can do a hair metal high note too and I can't sing anything (other than punk rock, which is supposed to be bad...) for shit. I can whisper for 3 minutes too and have it sound amazing, just like anyone else can.

I remember in the judges rounds before the voting started Simon would slam on Adam for being theatrical, now he gives him standing ovations? REALLY?!, REALLY?!

I personally like Gokey, Chris, and Allison and wouldn't be upset if they were the top 3. I really hope that Adam and Lil go home next week, but it's Disco week which means Adam gets immunity or some shit... (I know, I know, horribly untollerant of me... I don't hate on the Gs, just this one)
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:26 am

I only catch a minute or two while waiting for Fringe.
Just judging from the re-cap snippets, I'd say they have a craptastic crop this season.

Is Adam the one who was on the glowing blue toilet?
Don't like him.
Most of the others don't seem much better though.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:36 am

i'm coming around on adam. i still think he's a terrible singer, but at least he's terrible in an entertaining way.... whereas gokey is just terribly boring and annoying and douchey. allison is probably the best "singer" but she doesn't have a shot. if she's lucky she may make it to the finale and be this year's diana degarmo. all the rest besides those three are basically just wallpaper, completely forgettable.

King Psyz wrote:Adam can't sing, he's no different than Norman Gentile. It's an act, a show. I can do a hair metal high note too and I can't sing anything (other than punk rock, which is supposed to be bad...) for shit. I can whisper for 3 minutes too and have it sound amazing, just like anyone else can.

how DARE you compare him to norman gentle. norman was way more entertaining (though not really that funny to begin with).

as usual, i didn't watch it last night. i guess they saved the dude with the tumor on his forehead. which just goes to show how stupid the whole "judge's save" idea is. he gets one or two more weeks, tops. he doesn't have a chance of winning. using the save on anyone who doesn't actually have a chance to win is totally pointless. but no one who DOES have a chance to win is going to be eliminated before the top 5, so in the end, it's just a cheap ratings trick.

and if next week is disco week, then that just goes to show exactly what's wrong with this show. they say they want to find "artists" who are "contemporary" and "current".... and then they make them sing disco. yeah, that makes sense.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:27 am

As I said before, I think Adam has an incredible voice, and can sing rings around most people, but his style doesn't appeal to me and I would never spend a penny on any recording he put out.

The only thing appealing to me about Danny Gokey is that dollop of Joe Cocker he has in his voice. When that growl comes in, he sounds good. When it doesn't, he's as dull as ... as ... somebody so dull I don't remember them.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:35 pm

sanjaya has a new job

this is the career most of these fools can look forward to... if there's any career to look forward to at all for them.

sadly, blago won't be joining him
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fawst on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:32 am

You guys are on crack. Adam is a force of nature this season, he just can't be beaten. That version of Ring of Fire was awesome. And how DARE anyone say he "desecrated" a song by the man who desecrated "Hurt" by NIN? "Oh look, it's the pained old man singing about how he hurt himself BECAUSE HE'S SO FUCKING EMO." Yeah, DIAF, please. Oh wait, already dead, nevermind.

Danny is NOT GOOD. At all. He can sing, but he can sing in only one key: the key of BORING. Allison was my original choice for first amongst the losers (second to Adam, in other words), but after the past few weeks, I'm starting to think that Kris will make it in past her.

Matt just needs to go home now. In fact, he should have gone last week with Lil, not Anoop. Oh well.

Here's my prediction for how the final five will go down:

5) Matt
4) Danny
3) Allison
2) Kris
1) Adam

Other than Matt, I think they'll all get records out of this. They are all that good. Matt is just... bleh.

As far as last night's performances go, I think it goes a little like this:

5) Matt
4) Danny
3) Adam
2) Allison
1) Kris
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:48 am

I think Matt is more boring than Danny. But yeah, I don't like Danny either.

I kinda dug Jaime Foxxxxx last night. He's a weird dude, but he had some interesting things to say to these kids.

And I bet Anoop would have done awesome with a Rat Pack song.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 pm

this show is so boring. adam is the only thing entertaining on it. and he's still not entertaining enough to make up for the rest of the show. maybe if he did a performance as a drag queen....

allison is a good singer. the rest... fuck em. i can't even tell the boring white boys apart at this point. every time randy or kara opens their mouth, i press FF. and the only reason i listen to paula is in the hopes she'll say something crazy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby King Psyz on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:39 pm

Fawst wrote:You guys are on crack. Adam is a force of nature this season, he just can't be beaten. That version of Ring of Fire was awesome. And how DARE anyone say he "desecrated" a song by the man who desecrated "Hurt" by NIN? "Oh look, it's the pained old man singing about how he hurt himself BECAUSE HE'S SO FUCKING EMO." Yeah, DIAF, please. Oh wait, already dead, nevermind.

SERIOUSLY?!
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fawst on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:10 pm

King Psyz wrote:
Fawst wrote:You guys are on crack. Adam is a force of nature this season, he just can't be beaten. That version of Ring of Fire was awesome. And how DARE anyone say he "desecrated" a song by the man who desecrated "Hurt" by NIN? "Oh look, it's the pained old man singing about how he hurt himself BECAUSE HE'S SO FUCKING EMO." Yeah, DIAF, please. Oh wait, already dead, nevermind.

SERIOUSLY?!

That is the greatest anger-filled response to any post I have ever made :D

Yes, seriously. To be completely honest, I thought that Adam's take (which wasn't "his" take) on Ring of Fire was amazing. Here's the thing: if people are going to claim that Cash did something incredible with Hurt, I'm going to say the same about Adam with Ring of Fire. Cash just stripped Hurt down to the bare essentials, he made it raw. Adam turned Ring of Fire into something dirty. It worked for me. Opinions and all.

Then again, I also don't really like Cash...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:23 pm

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 06, 2009 10:08 am

so supposedly the contestants couldn't do a dress rehearsal because of the set falling apart.
but in the montage at the end, the final clip (which they usually take from the dress rehearsal) of danny croakey's death-scream was clearly different from the live performance.
I CALL SHENANIGANS!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 06, 2009 10:40 am

I like the idea of duets. Adam and Allison really rocked it out. I wouldn't mind seeing more duets in future seasons.

That Gokey scream at the end of "Dream On" made my ears bleed. WTF was that??? Gokey isn't as good as he thinks he is. He must be ELIMINATED!!!

Allison or Chris will probably get the boot tonight, though. *sigh*
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Wed May 06, 2009 10:56 am

I'm liking Chris more and more every week. He's nothing I'd pay money to listen to, but I think he gets better all the time. I loved his comments when Slash handed him a guitar to play.
Adam doing Zeppelin was good.
Allison doing Janis was good too.
Gokey..... ehhhh.

I thought both duets were good in their own way. Chris and Gokey's harmonies were friggin' awesome. They sounded amazing.
But save that shit for the Needlessly-1-Hour elimination episode.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed May 06, 2009 12:29 pm

So this was the first AI episode this season that I DIDN'T fast forward thru the songs... I liked the idea of a true rock night (with a band right there etc), so I wanted to hear them all.
And as expected, Adam was good, Allison was good, and the other two dudes sucked. Really sucked. And it looked to me like they knew they sucked (both guys had that look on their faces, you know what i mean?). Gorky finally has to sweat it out for once.

I liked the duet idea too, and Adam and Allison's was really good. I couldn't help but think of those two doing a cover of Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fawst on Wed May 06, 2009 4:37 pm

I think it went in order last night. Adam, Allison, Kris then Danny says goodbye. I mean, that was just bad.

BAD.

I'm going to call that the bottom three doesn't include Adam (tough decision there). I just read that the Idol producers apparetly aren't informed as to who the actual second and third to last contestants are. They instead are told "Person X is going home, Persons Y and Z were the next lowest vote-getters." The producers can then manipulate the announcement any way they want.

So in tonight's scenario, let's say the bottom three are Kris, Danny and Allison, with Danny going home. There is ZERO suspense if you're waiting to see if Danny or Kris goes home, but I think there would be plenty of people who think Allison would go home before Danny. Even if Kris is actually the second to last position, they could say he's the safe one. It's tricky how they do this stuff, huh?

Anyways, fuck Danny. Go home.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 06, 2009 10:19 pm

GOKEY!!!

Now it's a total sausage fest.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 13, 2009 9:59 pm

GOKEY IS OUT!!!

WOO HOO!!!

I think Adam Lambert just won American Idol. :mrgreen:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 14, 2009 12:04 am

ding dong, the douche is gone!
the douchey old douche is gone!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu May 14, 2009 12:40 am

Haters.
Gokey finally put out a performance that I'd put in the "Amazing" category, and he gets booted. His version of You Are So Beautiful was better than anything else performed last night.

Sigh.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 14, 2009 12:49 am

I wouldn't know. As soon as I heard "You are so . . ." I left the room. That song is schmaltz and it'd be 100 times worse from the king of schmaltz: Danny Gokey.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Thu May 14, 2009 12:57 am

And now there is just the Queen Of Scream.

....and the other guy.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial