ZODIAC - director's cut

Betamax and beyond

ZODIAC - director's cut

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Okay, so now that I'm trapped with my semi-useless HD-DVD player, I did however get the ZODIAC DIRECTOR'S CUT on HD-DVD to play on my brand new 42" screen via HDMI.

I did not notice a single frame of difference between this and the version I saw in the theatre. Supposedly the passage of time via sound montage and a black screen was longer, and that may be true, but what did I miss?

According to IMDB - The director's cut contains approximately 5-minutes of new footage including:

* Melvin Belli (Brian Cox) talks about his Safari trip (when the Zodiac letter came to his house)
* Toschi (Mark Ruffalo) introduces himself to the Riverside Police Chief
* New scene between Graysmith (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Avery (Robert Downey Jr.)
* 3-Way Conversation laying Leigh as suspect to get search warrant
* Extended audio montage (over a black screen)
* Plus extra bits of dialogue

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-===-=-

But it's a seemingly insignificant difference between the 2 cuts. Thank god it's a fantastic movie and I certainly never got the original cut on DVD because Fincher told EVERYONE that a 2 disc version was imminent. People like that are cool. Even Kevin Smith said that about DOGMA before the original skimmed version was released.

I haven't delved into disc 2 yet, but at least 2 of the documentaries are in full HD, so that kicks ass too.

The image of the movie is staggeringly perfect and for a movie shot on video, it looks just as good as any 35mm film print I ever saw, and I was a union projectionist. When I saw this in the theatre, this was the first flick that made me think that film was potentially in real trouble. There was nothing in this that made me cringe or even notice it wasn't film.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Now I have to save up for a Blu_Ray player so that my HD-DVD player can become like my laserdisc player, the rare but handy device that plays a select few movies. FYI - I did get my 5 free HD-DVD's in the mail this week too, just to make it all even more bitter sweet.
Last edited by sonnyboo on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: ZODIAC - director's cut HD-DVD

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:12 pm

sonnyboo wrote:Okay, so now that I'm trapped with my semi-useless HD-DVD player, I did however get the ZODIAC DIRECTOR'S CUT on HD-DVD to play on my brand new 42" screen via HDMI.

I did not notice a single frame of difference between this and the version I saw in the theatre. Supposedly the passage of time via sound montage and a black screen was longer, and that may be true, but what did I miss?

According to IMDB - The director's cut contains approximately 5-minutes of new footage including:

* Melvin Belli (Brian Cox) talks about his Safari trip (when the Zodiac letter came to his house)
* Toschi (Mark Ruffalo) introduces himself to the Riverside Police Chief
* New scene between Graysmith (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Avery (Robert Downey Jr.)
* 3-Way Conversation laying Leigh as suspect to get search warrant
* Extended audio montage (over a black screen)
* Plus extra bits of dialogue

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-===-=-

But it's a seemingly insignificant difference between the 2 cuts. Thank god it's a fantastic movie and I certainly never got the original cut on DVD because Fincher told EVERYONE that a 2 disc version was imminent. People like that are cool. Even Kevin Smith said that about DOGMA before the original skimmed version was released.

I haven't delved into disc 2 yet, but at least 2 of the documentaries are in full HD, so that kicks ass too.

The image of the movie is staggeringly perfect and for a movie shot on video, it looks just as good as any 35mm film print I ever saw, and I was a union projectionist. When I saw this in the theatre, this was the first flick that made me think that film was potentially in real trouble. There was nothing in this that made me cringe or even notice it wasn't film.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Now I have to save up for a Blu_Ray player so that my HD-DVD player can become like my laserdisc player, the rare but handy device that plays a select few movies. FYI - I did get my 5 free HD-DVD's in the mail this week too, just to make it all even more bitter sweet.

hmmm..well I haven't popped mine out of the plastic yet, but when I do, I'll let you know my thoughts. Curious.
Maui
WoWie

Re: ZODIAC - director's cut HD-DVD

Postby sonnyboo on Fri May 29, 2009 7:11 pm

tatiana wrote:What does Astrology have to say about current financial crisis in the world? Companies are going bust, people are losing their jobs, lesser new jobs are created. And this is happening to some of the biggest and well respected business groups in the world. Crude oil is also giving us lot of pain. Stock markets are going down everyday. Add to that widespread pessimism. Phew....!!!! When will things improve? What does astrology have to say about all this? And what is the way out?

I know the answer.... SPAM!
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Return to DVD / Blu-ray