Mad Men

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Mad Men

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 am

You had me at 'hello', sweetcakes. I haven't watched this show, but I regularly visit http://www.hollywoodtuna.com which is a reliable news service website devoted to the latest breaking news in both T and A, subjects of immense interest to me. And they had photos of this chick who's apparently a main character on this show. I also have a huge fetish for 1950s/60s stylings and burlesque so consider me sold on at least checking this series out.

I know my mum watches it, but my mum is from England and watches a lot of horseshit like Heartbeat and Eastenders and the such, but I've read up on this show and apparently it wins awards and people are obessed with it and it's American so she may have picked a winner this time.

Anyway, I'll pick up the first season, but I'll probably have trouble talking to my mum about it since I'm watching it for the retro fetishized ladies. I'll probably notice the plot on a subconscious level.

Holy shit look at those jugs.

You put those with a beehive hairstyle and some thick rimmed librarian glasses and I'll be calling in sick for week to treat boneritis.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Image

You had me at 'hello', sweetcakes. I haven't watched this show, but I regularly visit http://www.hollywoodtuna.com which is a reliable news service website devoted to the latest breaking news in both T and A, subjects of immense interest to me. And they had photos of this chick who's apparently a main character on this show. I also have a huge fetish for 1950s/60s stylings and burlesque so consider me sold on at least checking this series out.

I know my mum watches it, but my mum is from England and watches a lot of horseshit like Heartbeat and Eastenders and the such, but I've read up on this show and apparently it wins awards and people are obessed with it and it's American so she may have picked a winner this time.

Anyway, I'll pick up the first season, but I'll probably have trouble talking to my mum about it since I'm watching it for the retro fetishized ladies. I'll probably notice the plot on a subconscious level.

Christina Hendricks is another excellent reason to get into Firefly as well. Mad Men is actually a really great show anyway though.

Oh and by the bye, for shameless nudie celeb fix I highly recommend egotastic.

/threadjack
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Firefly is the show that spawned that Serenity movie right?

I don't remember Hendricks being in that movie. The movie didn't do big things for me. I liked my man Chiwitel Ejiofor in it, he was awesome as always, maybe if I'd seen the show first I would've been more into the movie. Most of my criticisms of it were that it felt very tv.

I watched Cowboy Beebop, which was pretty much the same thing and liked it. Maybe if I live forever I'll get around to watching Firefly.

I found season 1 of Mad Men pretty cheap online, so I'll probably pick that up after I'm worn out on playing Street Fighter 4.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Firefly is the show that spawned that Serenity movie right?

I don't remember Hendricks being in that movie. The movie didn't do big things for me. I liked my man Chiwitel Ejiofor in it, he was awesome as always, maybe if I'd seen the show first I would've been more into the movie. Most of my criticisms of it were that it felt very tv.

She wasn't in the movie. She was only in 2 episodes of the show, but they were both highly memorable.

And I fucking LOVE your av dude. That might be one of my favorite Vincent Price performances ever of all time.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks bud.

Lots of my friends own the box set of Firefly. So I can borrow it from one of them anytime.

Right now I think getting into Mad Men will be my top television priority and after that I've still got to check out this Deadwood thing. I've got this interest in The Wire building up in me too.

Lotsa shows out there, so little time.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:11 am

I've been missing this show. It's time to rewatch the first two seasons to build anticipation for the third. I think it starts again in August.

Spandau I want to know if you watched it and what you thought of it.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Shagwoodtm on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:51 am

New to the site.

Just finished watching this:

Can't believe I waited this long to check this out.
--The test of a first-rate intelligence, is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.--
Shagwoodtm
GLIB

Postby Snow Apple on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:59 pm

I am excited for tonight. I rewatched last season this week. I had thought the best part was Duck finding out Don didn't have a contract. I was wrong. When Duck threw his fit and left the room that English guy said Duck never could hold his liquor, that was the best thing ever. I hate Duck, even more so after he pushed his dog out onto the streets, what an evil piece of shit.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:37 am

I cried when he touched the grass watching the joyful, pretty teacher. Any other show or movie I'd roll my eyes, but there is such a deep beauty in Mad Men.

On the shallowish side I am so excited they are redecorating. I was hoping that might happen. Dude I hope the kitchen is included in the redo.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Snow Apple on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:15 am

Why doesn't anyone want to talk about Mad Men? Since I'm talking to myself until Ironical is caught up I'll post only my silly thoughts of this week which was that Pete was so fucking hot dancing. He is a really good dancer. I liked seeing him so happy. I forgot I used to think he was really cute before this show. I kinda love Pete now. He seems to be treating his wife better and not just for show.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am

Yeah, I'm a little surprised there's not more Mad Men chit-chat, but I don't watch the show either so I'm not really in a position to talk
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Snow Apple on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:36 am

You are missing out not watching. It is the only show on TV in the last few years that has me transfixed. The last time I remember a show that wasn't multitasking during was "Invasion"...also with the brilliant Elizabeth Moss. I'm still bitter they canceled it. Anyway, "Mad Men" is a million times better. There has never been a better crafted show, there just hasn't. Every layer is perfect.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Snow Apple wrote:You are missing out not watching. It is the only show on TV in the last few years that has me transfixed. The last time I remember a show that wasn't multitasking during was "Invasion"...also with the brilliant Elizabeth Moss. I'm still bitter they canceled it. Anyway, "Mad Men" is a million times better. There has never been a better crafted show, there just hasn't. Every layer is perfect.

The Wire is the best show ever as agreed by everyone here

That being said Mad Men is working on whole different level than most other shows except breaking bad and the most dramas on hbo.

I loved Peggy getting high that was hilarious.

Rogers song was hilariously in how terrible and racist the whole thing was.

It certainly took the daughter long enough to give the money back and i honestly thought the grandpa was going to whoop her.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:22 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:37 am

Dammit. I thought I was completely caught up but I just read Stereo's post and clearly I'm not! The third episode just hasn't been put On Demand yet huh?

Well then I can't talk about the newest stuff... but I can say how much I love this show (even though I do have to agree the Wire might be the best show ever made) God - there should be a thread discussing Don Draper vs. Stringer Bell...

I read through the end of this thread and have to comment on the following from last season really quick;
I love the littering thing because I thought that too!
The part where he put the dog out on the street made me cry!
Yes, that's 100% rape and yes in the US you can thankfully now be charged with raping your wife (although it took a disgustingly long time for that to be the case).
When Duck got told Don didn't have a contract was amazing!

Which leads me nicely into how I hated we were just supposed to "get" that Duck was out? I had assumed that was going to be something addressed at the beginning of this season.

I also sympathized with Peggy not explaining to that guy in the bar that she wasn't just a secretary at the agency - funny that hasn't changed that much in the last forty years..
Just because I don't wanna war with you, don't mean go warm up the barbecue.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:44 am

Ironical wrote:Which leads me nicely into how I hated we were just supposed to "get" that Duck was out? I had assumed that was going to be something addressed at the beginning of this season.

It was the same thing last season as well. The time in between the first and second season was teased out. I dont want them going back and having to explain it because we all know what woluld have happened. Ducks plans were not what the Brits wanted and he was ousted. Simple.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:59 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Ironical wrote:Which leads me nicely into how I hated we were just supposed to "get" that Duck was out? I had assumed that was going to be something addressed at the beginning of this season.

It was the same thing last season as well. The time in between the first and second season was teased out. I dont want them going back and having to explain it because we all know what woluld have happened. Ducks plans were not what the Brits wanted and he was ousted. Simple.

I guess. I just remembered how Betty's really preggers now so time has passed. Maybe it's because I rolled right from the last season into the new one - it seemed like a weird jump. But it's because it WAS a jump in time.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:29 am

I accidently read that they are going to jump back, but I quickly stopped reading so maybe I misunderstood. I don't want any spoilers or hints when it comes to "Mad Men". Which leads me to a serious threat to any poster's life that talk about "The Wire" in here. I have yet to start watching it and have no idea what I'm in for except that I'll love it.

I found it odd that Don was so offended by the blackface. I didn't buy, it felt like I was being forced to think 'oh that Don Draper really is a good guy, isn't he so enlightened'. I enjoyed his disgust but it made me think perhaps the eye for detail isn't so keen anymore...unless that side of Don will be fleshed out in further episodes.

Dude the thing with the $5 was so stressful. It brought me back to being a kid knowing I did something wrong and trying to figure out if I could get out of it or do I confess even though I'm terrified? I felt for Sally. I was soooooooo glad the grandpa saw that she felt guilty and knew she was wrong and just rubbed it in a little then went back to bonding with her. He's not her mom. Not that her mom would handle the situation properly.

I don't know how much more I can take of Betty being so detached and hateful with her children. I get it, you're unhappy, unfulfilled, whatever, just have some fucking compassion, you are all they have bitch.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:15 am

Snow Apple wrote:I accidently read that they are going to jump back, but I quickly stopped reading so maybe I misunderstood. I don't want any spoilers or hints when it comes to "Mad Men". Which leads me to a serious threat to any poster's life that talk about "The Wire" in here. I have yet to start watching it and have no idea what I'm in for except that I'll love it.

I found it odd that Don was so offended by the blackface. I didn't buy, it felt like I was being forced to think 'oh that Don Draper really is a good guy, isn't he so enlightened'. I enjoyed his disgust but it made me think perhaps the eye for detail isn't so keen anymore...unless that side of Don will be fleshed out in further episodes.

Dude the thing with the $5 was so stressful. It brought me back to being a kid knowing I did something wrong and trying to figure out if I could get out of it or do I confess even though I'm terrified? I felt for Sally. I was soooooooo glad the grandpa saw that she felt guilty and knew she was wrong and just rubbed it in a little then went back to bonding with her. He's not her mom. Not that her mom would handle the situation properly.

I don't know how much more I can take of Betty being so detached and hateful with her children. I get it, you're unhappy, unfulfilled, whatever, just have some fucking compassion, you are all they have bitch.

See I bought Don being offended by the black face paint. Don is not some posh country club Rpger Sterling-esque man. He grew up in poverty and with other poor people probably including african americans. Don has been shown to not have problems with stuff rich white man society would snub its nose at e.g. beatniks in season 1, jews, and even the california gypsies. They treat there maid well and didnt blame her when the granddad went off about the money which I thought the plotline was going to degrade to. I dont think Don is enlightened but that he has sympathy for people being walked on as he was earlier ion his life. That being said it still make sense that Don is TAKING what he wants from life and doesnt take kindly to people like Pete Campbells entitlement. Hes worked for everything he has got with smarts and being a convincing talker.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 am

I also thought that Don's disgust during that song had a lot to do with the whole Roger & Jane thing. Especially at the end when he said that people thought he was foolish not happy.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:55 pm

I love that you guys talk about this show with me. I agree with both of you. Now if it were just that Don was raised in a world that made him more sensitive I might still go "ya but", because I was thinking about that and that he was in the military, but it's true he's shown consistant acceptance. I didn't even think about part of his disgust was Roger and Jane. I forgot how much I hated her. I still want Joan to get back at her somehow.

Speaking of Joan I am so nervous about her having to leave. I know she can't, they wouldn't do that, but I worry. I hope her and Roger start up again!!!!!!! Ha take that Jane you psycho wench.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ironical on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:20 pm

wait... why does Joan have to leave? Cos she's married and her asshole husband is going to make her quit?

I wanted to smack Betty for not comforting whatshername.. the kid. crying about her grandpa. And Don's an ass for not stepping in when his wife clearly was being her usual cold hearted self.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:30 pm

Ironical wrote:wait... why does Joan have to leave? Cos she's married and her asshole husband is going to make her quit?

I wanted to smack Betty for not comforting whatshername.. the kid. crying about her grandpa. And Don's an ass for not stepping in when his wife clearly was being her usual cold hearted self.

His wife is always a bitch. I wished Gene had staid on a bit longer. He was a perfect foil for Don and a great addition to the family. He was the only one that has ever shown interest in the daughter. The impact of his death should prove dramatic for betty and the daughter. SO hopefully good stuff comes of that.

I absolutely loved the polish handball stuff. "if this doesnt work its all your fault!" hahaha yeah ummm suuuure.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:42 am

Joan talked about leaving once her husband got to a certain point at his job. Though it kind of seems like he might be a doofus at work so maybe they'll continue to need her income.

I was really liking grandpa being around too. I was so grateful for Sally to have love and attention, even if poor barely there whatshisname son got some meanness. His name is either Robbie or Billy. I swear it's like a different kid playing him every season. There better be more with Sally greiving, at odds with her mom about it. Don't get too mad at Don, he is the only parent showing those kids tenderness.

I couldn't figure out if Salvatore's wife was thinking he was Dumbledore when she was freaked by his Patio presentation in the bedroom. Or is she just a country bumpkin all wowed by his over the top presentation? That nightie thing she had on was soooooooooo cute, the color was kinda ick, but still very very cute I want it.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ironical on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:47 am

Oh I definitely think the penny dropped for Sal's wife when he did that dance! She had that "oh fuck my husbands homosexual" look on her face.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:09 am

Okay thanks Ironical. I guess I wasn't sure because I don't know how aware women were of that possibility back then. Poor girl.

I was annoyed that Duck picked up on Peggy and Pete's connection. I just hate Duck so much, why did it have to be him that noticed? Though I was kind of happy to see him again...just so I could hate him.

Don's been so good about being faithful and so help me dog if anything happens with that teacher!

I had a rare moment of feeling for Betty being a housewife at the very end in the hallway. She was so excited bringing Gene home, blissful, then the reality, another child, it needs, only I am going to fulfill the needs, so alone and drained.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ironical on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:44 am

Don's been good? Apart from that stewardess he fucked a couple of weeks back..

My friend is convinced Betty's going to totally lose it now with the new baby, and just become 100% crazytown.

I love that you accidentally said "dog" instead of "god" because i wonder if it was because you were think about Duck and his leaving Chauncey out on the street!!! I still hate remembering that :(
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:43 pm

Did any one notice the prison guard and his wife did not walk out with a baby.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Did any one notice the prison guard and his wife did not walk out with a baby.

No i didn't! Are you sure? I thought she was in a wheel chair holding a baby??
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Ironical wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Did any one notice the prison guard and his wife did not walk out with a baby.

No i didn't! Are you sure? I thought she was in a wheel chair holding a baby??

Pretty sure but my eyes could have been playing tricks.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43 pm

I noticed, but I didn't realize she was leaving. I was thinking he was wheeling her around and the baby was in the nursery, I couldn't figure out that exchange with Don. I even rewound it. So, ya if they were leaving that makes sense, leaving without their dead baby.

Don and the stewardess, they ended up not doing anything right? I usually have a hard time liking characters that cheat, like that stupid Russian love story people get all goopy over, the whole time I was like they suck, fuck their love, they are bastards...but Don makes it seem so normal and like he's not taking anything away from his love for Betty.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 am

Snow Apple wrote:I noticed, but I didn't realize she was leaving. I was thinking he was wheeling her around and the baby was in the nursery, I couldn't figure out that exchange with Don. I even rewound it. So, ya if they were leaving that makes sense, leaving without their dead baby.

Don and the stewardess, they ended up not doing anything right? I usually have a hard time liking characters that cheat, like that stupid Russian love story people get all goopy over, the whole time I was like they suck, fuck their love, they are bastards...but Don makes it seem so normal and like he's not taking anything away from his love for Betty.

His "Love for Betty?" Honestly I dont think they are even around each other enough that love comes into it. Betty has a ton of contempt for Don as well. And Don as well depending on the moment. Honestly they may have loved each other at one point but I think it's just easy to go on with things as they are at this point. They sure don't "actively" love each other anymore except during brief glimpses.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:36 pm

That's the awesome thing about Don though - you know he's a dog and you should hate him but you can't! It's like Stringer Bell in The Wire, he's a bad bad guy but you kinda love him anyway!

I forgot Don and that stewardess got interrupted. But either way, he was going to, so it's not like he's turned over a new leaf like we were lead to believe he might.

I don't know that him and betty don't love each other at all anymore. I think they have both love and contempt for one another.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Ironical on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:12 pm

This made me smile

Mad Men in Sixty Seconds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X654tkCvoQ&feature=fvw
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:24 am

We all have secrets Don, let's smoke indoors.

Maybe I am naive but I think Don loves Betty...as much as he can love a woman. Now Betty, Betty might not even be capable of love, she is so detached and miserable. Maybe she never even loved him, just his looks, his job, his money, his power.

We don't know for sure what would've happened with the stewardess, he seemed conflicted. I think we were supposed to be left wondering?
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ironical on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:14 pm

Oh I totally assume he would have fucked her had it not been for the fire alarm.. I mean I was wondering in the hallway but then he seemed to make up his mind. I think he'll be screwing someone other than Betty again soon.. he just hasn't met her yet...
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:34 am

NEVER EVER BRING A JOHN DEERE INTO AN OFFICE BUILDING!

Man that was some crazy shit! Was not expecting it at all.

One thing that pissed me off about this episode was that it didnt advance the office plot at all. It was a big huge cocktease Guy coming in things being changed. Nope back to status quo.

That said on a scene by scene basis this was a great episode.

Youve got Mr. Hilton and Dons wonderful interaction. Hopefully Don wins his account!

It was painful to watch Betty give the daughter the gift from Eugene!! and then to find it naked in the bush out front hahaha.

Don and Joans interaction was great too. She so had an in to ask for her job back!!!

Joan and her husband was great too. We all know what a dark disturbing man he is and for Joan to say she loved him for his heart was painful. Joans a great character because she is grasping for her idealized future but it is so far from what it is she really wants/needs. Peggy congratulating her was awesome too because she was congratulating the persona Joan embodies rather than the actuality.

Great stuff.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:20 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Peggy congratulating her was awesome too because she was congratulating the persona Joan embodies rather than the actuality.

Yeah, I guess that's true. That's why it seemed so awkward!

Hmmm I was distracted during this weeks episode and thought I hadn't missed much but reading your post I realised I need to watch it again - because other than the tractor I didn't remember a damn thing!
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby VegasRon on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:16 am

Snow Apple wrote:We all have secrets Don, let's smoke indoors.

Maybe I am naive but I think Don loves Betty...as much as he can love a woman. Now Betty, Betty might not even be capable of love, she is so detached and miserable. Maybe she never even loved him, just his looks, his job, his money, his power.

We don't know for sure what would've happened with the stewardess, he seemed conflicted. I think we were supposed to be left wondering?

I just caught up on the series, watched all the eps over a week span. Watching them all back-to-back gives me some perspective(like what you'll have when you watch The Wire finally) not easily picked up when watching it weekly and seasonally.

But I totally agree with you about Don and will take it a few steps further. Don is broken. He can't love, not truly, and it's because he's a victim of his upbringing. I'm not making excuses for his cheating behavior but I can totally understand it and I actually do sympathize for him. Of course, it helps that his wife is a cold-hearted bitch. How she treats her children tears me up and while she obviously is another person whose mother made life hell for her, how she manifests it is not sympathetic at all.

Hell, I hope he gets with that teacher:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2886505216/nm0817844

:twisted:

EDIT: On a side note, I just want to mention that I've been in absolute love with Christina Hendricks since I first saw her in Firefly. Hell, I might just go watch "Our Mrs. Reynolds" again...
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:45 am

I agree Don is broken. I also think he is inherently kind and caring. I don't think it's his childhood alone that influences his behavior. The era and culture in which he's living handed him a role dictating how he should be a husband and father. I think Don does truly love his children, certainly that is the deepest love he feels.

I think Betty loves them underneath her resentment. She's had moments where she realizes how much she sucks and tries to fix it, but she's just so damn hard and selfish. Like Don she's broken and a victim of the time she's living in...even more so because she's a woman that's not yet thoroughly aware of the idea of women's rights, women's liberation. Betty is the perfect candidate for all that.

Anyway, the blood splattering all over was great. There is no way anyone watcing expected it. And when it was being cleaned while they were gathered in the office, oh man I was repulsed, amused and so in love with everything that is Mad Men.

I was wishing Joan would take that chance with Don to say something, but it seemed too easy, I'm glad they didn't have it go down like that. stereos what you said about back to status quo is so true and it would've been annoying if Joan got thrown in with that. Though I have all kinds of angst about what will happen. I mean there is no guarantee they won't have her leave the show. BUT THEY MUST KEEP HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby VegasRon on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:56 am

Snow Apple wrote:Anyway, the blood splattering all over was great. There is no way anyone watcing expected it. And when it was being cleaned while they were gathered in the office, oh man I was repulsed, amused and so in love with everything that is Mad Men.

I was wishing Joan would take that chance with Don to say something, but it seemed too easy, I'm glad they didn't have it go down like that. stereos what you said about back to status quo is so true and it would've been annoying if Joan got thrown in with that. Though I have all kinds of angst about what will happen. I mean there is no guarantee they won't have her leave the show. BUT THEY MUST KEEP HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size][/color]

That lawn mower accident and it's bloody aftermath is easily one of the more shocking things I've ever seen on television. Not the gore, just the shear craziness of it. My mouth was literally hanging open, lol. And Sterling's dry humor comments after were hilarious. "Foot in the door", indeed.

I have no idea how they're going to resolve Joan's dilemma. She can't be leaving. In fact, her collapsing relationship points to her coming back. How they handle it will be fascinating.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Snow Apple on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:23 am

So so happy to see Joan, if only for a moment.

What the hell is wrong with Betty?! Ugh she is just in love with misery, I want so smack her.

Then I want to smack Pete, then kick him, slam his head through his glass doors and make him think he's about to get heaved over the balcony. I was starting to like him, it happens sometimes, but when he kissed that German girl I started crying. I hate men like that so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE THEM! It's like when Sawyer smooshed that frog, I was done with him, a moment that was too much. Pete Campbell is the scum of the earth. One step away from being a rapist...or a rapist? Sorta. What the heck, this is the second time this show has me questioning if something is rape. But this is certainly more iffy than Joan and her man, Joan was raped, I was just confused about the time period's view.

I think I'm calling this one rape. I think. It's not okay for a guy to be forceful when he knows the girl wants to say no, she just doesn't think she can or doesn't know she can.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ironical on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:56 am

So I was all kinds of pissed off at this episode. Maybe I"m just stupid and I wasn't paying close enough attention but I really didn't understand that Pete's wife was away for the weekend. So when everyone was talking about him being all by himself and he was kicking around his apartment I thought - oh shit - she left him over that baby stuff. And because that stupid Duck stuff that wasn't "spoon fed" to us - I was like wow I guess we're just supposed to know that she left him and they weren't going to tell us. (oh and i thought he was lying to Joan at the store, same way she was kinda lying to him). So I watched the whole thing thinking he was just being regular old creepy Pete not super lame cheating cos his wife goes away for one night Pete. Then she came back and I was all "aahh fuck this show!"

See - thats why you can't just move on with shit unresolved. Because it tricks me into thinking it's happening the whole damn time.

Anyway, I wasn't sure how consensual that sex was either Snow. I thought that's why Pete was so jumpy when that dude came over - but then after I realised that's just cos he was cheating.

I wanted to smack Betty too. But just to get uncharacteristically girlie for a moment - I'm obsessed with the dress that she was wearing the day she got back from Italy!!!!
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Snow Apple on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:01 am

The thing about Pete's wife being away, you had to watch the "previously on Mad Men" snippet. They made a point to show a clip of when she went to her parents and he stayed in the city when they thought the world might be ending. It was out of context for her just being away for no good reason but because it was out of context it made it obvious that she was just off somewhere, probably her parents, and he stayed home. This is why Mad Men is one of the few shows I pay full attention to, I do nothing but relax and soak it all in with no distractions.

That was not consensual, she did not want that. Hence her freaking out about it afterwards, further risking her job she was so worried about losing. He knew she wanted to say no and he knew he was using his power over her. She did say no when he first came over. I've known guys like Pete, they know damn well if the girl was stronger, if she knew how to say no she would, but they don't care. Without a verbal no they think it's okay, it's not legally rape. Cheating was more accpetable then and yes Pete might've been questioning his neighbors view on it as he fidgeted, but he was also unsure what that guy thought about a man abusing power with a very vulnerable girl.

I can't remember her dress, I remember thinking she looked cute, but she almost always looks really cute.

I loved when Don told her she was tiny after she took her shoes off. :D
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ironical on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:27 pm

Yeah. I was distracted during the beginning (you know damn well why!) and then i decided i was too distracted and i'd watch it again the next day - but I skipped the "previously on" and I remember actually thinking - fine watch the beginning again but you don't need to watch this part! haha.

Now that I'm less annoyed about not understanding what was going on - lets talk Pete. I had a discussion about this last night - my friend frequents a forum where people were straight up calling Pete a rapist. And we were discussing that Pete might be the kinda creepster to have coerced sex with someone but he's not bad enough to straight up hold a girl down and rape her (like I don't think he'd do what Joan's dude did). It's like a spectrum of assholeness.
And see I wasn't full on convinced she didn't want to have sex with him. There's a difference between I don't want to have sex with you, and I have a boyfriend so I can't - and her interaction at the door seemed to fall more into the second one. But then again she felt her job was on the line... it's tricky!

I want to hear the guys who are watching this show's perspectives on this, it's an interesting issue.

Either way, Pete's creepy.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Ironical wrote:Yeah. I was distracted during the beginning (you know damn well why!) and then i decided i was too distracted and i'd watch it again the next day - but I skipped the "previously on" and I remember actually thinking - fine watch the beginning again but you don't need to watch this part! haha.

Now that I'm less annoyed about not understanding what was going on - lets talk Pete. I had a discussion about this last night - my friend frequents a forum where people were straight up calling Pete a rapist. And we were discussing that Pete might be the kinda creepster to have coerced sex with someone but he's not bad enough to straight up hold a girl down and rape her (like I don't think he'd do what Joan's dude did). It's like a spectrum of assholeness.
And see I wasn't full on convinced she didn't want to have sex with him. There's a difference between I don't want to have sex with you, and I have a boyfriend so I can't - and her interaction at the door seemed to fall more into the second one. But then again she felt her job was on the line... it's tricky!

I want to hear the guys who are watching this show's perspectives on this, it's an interesting issue.

Either way, Pete's creepy.

It's totally rape. Coercing someone to have sex with you is not consentual sex. As you put it above Ironical ence between "NO" and "I have a boyfriend" but the German Nanny was just trying to be polite and get out of the situation. She was also worrying about her job and thus was not in her right mind.

Pete was not as scummy as Joan's husband but personally there is only minimal difference as the end result is the same.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 am

But don't you have to let the other person know its not consentual for them to be raping you? We didn't see what happened so it's hard to tell. But if that's rape where do you draw the line? If you agree to sleep with someone to keep them happy so they won't tell a secret - the key part is that you're agreeing to sleep with them - it might not be because you want to have sex with them - but you still agreed. I mean - say a girl's super tired and doesn't really want to sleep with her boyfriend but she does it anyway 'cos she knows otherwise he's gonna be in a shitty mood - is that rape? she didn't want to sleep with him.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Snow Apple on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:45 am

You are pissing me off Ironical. SHE DID NOT WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH HIM! Pete knew that, he also knew he had more power in the situation and he abused it. We didn't see what happened next, maybe he did hold her down. You don't need to bring other what if situations into it. What Pete did was force a girl to have sex with him that did not want to. Maybe I'm just sensitive because though I've never been raped I know what it's like to be that girl and it's an awful, awful feeling. That is why reading this from a guy made me feel really good:
stereosforgeeks wrote:It's totally rape. Coercing someone to have sex with you is not consentual sex. As you put it above Ironical ence between "NO" and "I have a boyfriend" but the German Nanny was just trying to be polite and get out of the situation. She was also worrying about her job and thus was not in her right mind.

Pete was not as scummy as Joan's husband but personally there is only minimal difference as the end result is the same.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:46 pm

I wanted to see Hilton on the moon, didn't you?

Poor Sal. :(

Don is such a dirty dog!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Poor Sal!!

I think Betty might try to leave Don at some point in the future.

Dons escapade with the teacher I think was supposed to have more emotional impact than it did. Don has been shown to have many dalliances. The teacher is just another in his line of of conquests.

Hilton is fn nuts eh?

Hilton on the moon!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial