What's the name of that movie where...?

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

What's the name of that movie where...?

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:18 pm

Sometimes some tricks come in here and just have a burning desire that needs to be satisfied. That desire is an answer to a question about a movie they saw this one time about this thing but i can't remember what it's called, and their satisfaction lies in our collective filmic knowledge! But once we've satisfied their desire they just go on their way, like that guy that one time where we did that one thing but i can't remember his name what?

What was I talking about? Okay so basically, to make it clear (not angry): HERE IS THE THREAD WHERE N0OBS OR ANYONE ELSE CAN COME TO FIGURE OUT THE TITLE OF A FILM THEY'VE SEEN/HEARD ABOUT BUT CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF THEM REMEMBER WHAT IT'S CALLED.

To give an example:

Ribbons and I were watching Flight of the Conchords last night, when he turned to me and asked:"Say, this reminds me of this movie that was on PBS once. I'm not sure what it was called but I think there was a young Ciaran Hinds in it and he and a donkey were caught in compromising circumstances during a delightfully wacky house party. Can anybody tell me what movie that is?"

Come here if you seek such enlightenment.

(More examples listed [threads merged] below the break)

for example, someone earlier wrote:i saw a movie on tv a few years back, can't remember the name, the actor, but it was great!!
Better than it sounds anyway because it was about some guy who had a rat invade his house and he tore the house apart trying to find it.
Anyone remember??
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Re: what IS the name of that movie??

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:21 pm

It's not technically a rat, but it sounds a little like Mousehunt.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby evilstepmom on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:46 pm

NO not mousehunt
His house was really slick and modern - nice!
evilstepmom
GLIB

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Maybe it's one of the versions of WILLARD.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Was it Of Unknown Origin? (That's the name of the movie. I'm not asking you if the movie was of unknown origin, because it certainly is, since you can't remember it.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby evilstepmom on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:44 pm

YES!! Of Unknown origin - is the title
Thanks super smart guy
evilstepmom
GLIB

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:39 am

Well, it's the only Man Vs. Rat movie that I know :D
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Weird, I almost bought that today.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

I can't remember the name of that movie

Postby CornElvis on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:27 pm

HI All,

I'm new here and would like to get the name of a movie.
I seen it years back (round the 1990's or even before......)
It's a horror movie and the plot is that the Bible and the lost books should come together and the the evolution is reversed.
There is a guy who works with the devil to accomplish this.
It works out until the end and (of course) someone stops it.

Can anyone help me out here?

thanks for the help in advance.

Greetzzz,

CornElvis
CornElvis
GLIB

Re: What's the name of that movie where....

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Sometimes some tricks come in here and just have a burning desire that needs to be satisfied. That desire is an answer to a question about a movie they saw this one time about this thing but i can't remember what it's called, and their satisfaction lies in our collective filmic knowledge! But once we've satisfied their desire they just go on their way, like that guy that one time where we did that one thing but i can't remember his name what?

What was I talking about? Okay so basically, to make it clear (not angry): HERE IS THE THREAD WHERE N0OBS OR ANYONE ELSE CAN COME TO FIGURE OUT THE TITLE OF A FILM THEY'VE SEEN/HEARD ABOUT BUT CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF THEM REMEMBER WHAT IT'S CALLED.

To give an example:

Ribbons and I were watching Flight of the Conchords last night, when he turned to me and asked:"Say, this reminds me of this movie that was on PBS once. I'm not sure what it was called but I think there was a young Ciaran Hinds in it and he and a donkey were caught in compromising circumstances during a delightfully wacky house party. Can anybody tell me what movie that is?"

Come here if you seek such enlightenment.

Great idea.

STICKIFIED!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:12 pm

I almost feel like posting brief hints on obscure pictures just to see if anyone knows them. I'll do just one.

A case worker at a home for the retarded learns that a man in his twenties, diagnosed as retarded as a young child, actually is of normal intelligence.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:15 pm

DennisMM wrote:I almost feel like posting brief hints on obscure pictures just to see if anyone knows them. I'll do just one.

A case worker at a home for the retarded learns that a man in his twenties, diagnosed as retarded as a young child, actually is of normal intelligence.

Sounds like a new game thread idea....
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:09 pm

I hadn't thought of that. Interesting possibility. Every few unsuccessful guesses we could post another clue.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: I can't remember the name of that movie

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 pm

CornElvis wrote:HI All,

It's a horror movie and the plot is that the Bible and the lost books should come together and the the evolution is reversed.

Greetzzz,

CornElvis

Not ringing any bells..... (just wanted to keep this unanswered one in the loop)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:00 am

Fievel wrote:

Greetzzz,

CornElvis

Not ringing any bells..... (just wanted to keep this unanswered one in the loop)

Sounds a bit like The Ninth Gate, but i think that came out in 2000.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Greetzzz,

CornElvis

Sounds a bit like The Ninth Gate, but i think that came out in 2000.

I am kinda thinking Warlock from 1989...

plot : In Boston of 1691, a warlock is sentenced to death, but escapes magically into the future, followed by the witch hunter. There he is searching for the three parts of the Devil's Bible, trailed by the witch hunter and the woman whose house he landed in. They must stop him, as the book contains the true name of God, which he can use to un-create the world. Maybe?
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 am

Shit, i can't believe i forgot about that.
To be fair though, the sequels didn't have the same plot & i don't think Richard E. Grant was in them either.
They just had some awkward looking guy with albino like white hair.

Good thinking.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby CornElvis on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:46 am

Hi,

thanks for that I think it is Warlock from 1989
I'm downloading the movie now and will come back on this one.

Greetzzz,

CornElvis
CornElvis
GLIB

Postby justcheckin on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:30 pm

CornElvis wrote:Hi,

thanks for that I think it is Warlock from 1989
I'm downloading the movie now and will come back on this one.

Greetzzz,

CornElvis

Cool deal... I hope it is. :)
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby beelzebub on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:40 pm

I've never been able to figure this out, but when my best friend and I were little, we were watching a Pumpkinheadesque movie. It ended with the movie cutting between the final scene (taking place inside a small house/cabin, with very yellow lighting) and trains. Then the way they defeated the monster? By hugging it. All it needed was acceptance. Even as an 8 year old I knew this was a cop out. This was in the mid nineties.

Herp, prease?
beelzebub
GLIB

Postby MadCapsule on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:33 am

This is a great idea for a thread! I think there was one like this made specifically for kung fu movies, as well. Damn, I'll have to track that one down, because there was a Shaw Bros. flick that I couldn't remember the name of that I posted in there and people made a bunch of suggestions as to what it might have been, but I've forgotten what they were again!

I got two movies that I need help with: The first one is a collection of anime shorts that I saw in the mid-90's, although I don't know if that time period is when it was made. Possibly from the late 80's. Anyhow, one of the shorts was about a futuristic hover car racer that was physically linked to his car via cables and whatnot and I believe he piloted the car with his mind. Short story shorter, he was so determined to finish the race or break a speed record or something that he ultimately ended up destroying the car and himself.

Another of the shorts featured a little girl running through a house. She might have been wearing a pair of those wooden geta sandals. I seem to remember either a very studly cat running alongside her or she might have morphed into a cat and then jumped through either a window or one of those paper walls in traditional style Japanese homes.

There were at least three shorts on the collection, all from different directors and all had different animation styles. I'm not sure if the shorts were specifically created for this one collection or if they originated elsewhere and happened to be compiled on that one tape. It wasn't a bootleg - well the tape I rented may have been a bootleg but the collection had a specific name - because I remember seeing it at other video rental stores and in anime catalogs and such.

The second movie is another animated feature, but this one had Western-style animation as opposed to anime. I never actually saw it, but I saw a trailer for it here in The Zone a couple years back. It was a swords and sorcery story. I very distinctly remember a man wading through a foggy swamp. He was exhausted and leaned on a branch on a fallen tree. The branch broke and he fell into the water. A few people here, including me, got stirred up over it but I lost track of it. Does that ring a bell for anyone?
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:14 pm

MadCapsule wrote:I got two movies that I need help with: The first one is a collection of anime shorts that I saw in the mid-90's, although I don't know if that time period is when it was made. Possibly from the late 80's. Anyhow, one of the shorts was about a futuristic hover car racer that was physically linked to his car via cables and whatnot and I believe he piloted the car with his mind. Short story shorter, he was so determined to finish the race or break a speed record or something that he ultimately ended up destroying the car and himself.

I don't know about the whole collection but I'm pretty sure that short was on an episode of MTV's "Liquid Television." I don't know if that helps but it might be a starting point.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:46 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:I got two movies that I need help with: The first one is a collection of anime shorts that I saw in the mid-90's, although I don't know if that time period is when it was made. Possibly from the late 80's. Anyhow, one of the shorts was about a futuristic hover car racer that was physically linked to his car via cables and whatnot and I believe he piloted the car with his mind. Short story shorter, he was so determined to finish the race or break a speed record or something that he ultimately ended up destroying the car and himself.

I don't know about the whole collection but I'm pretty sure that short was on an episode of MTV's "Liquid Television." I don't know if that helps but it might be a starting point.

Aha! Thanks to you, I was able to track that episode down on Youtube and then found out the name of the collection from there! It's called Neo Tokyo and it's apparently out of print. According to Amazon, new copies of it are selling at upwards of $60.00! And the entire collection is only 50 minutes long. Ouch.

Thanks, Tyrone!

Anybody have any clues about my second unknown movie?
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:10 am

MadCapsule wrote:The second movie is another animated feature, but this one had Western-style animation as opposed to anime. I never actually saw it, but I saw a trailer for it here in The Zone a couple years back. It was a swords and sorcery story. I very distinctly remember a man wading through a foggy swamp. He was exhausted and leaned on a branch on a fallen tree. The branch broke and he fell into the water. A few people here, including me, got stirred up over it but I lost track of it. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

This one doesn't sound familiar, but if nothing else you could always skim through your posts and see if you can find it - assuming you commented on it.
If you didn't comment on it, then all hope may be lost.... :( .......

.....until someone who knows what it is sees this thread.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 am

Fievel wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:The second movie is another animated feature, but this one had Western-style animation as opposed to anime. I never actually saw it, but I saw a trailer for it here in The Zone a couple years back. It was a swords and sorcery story. I very distinctly remember a man wading through a foggy swamp. He was exhausted and leaned on a branch on a fallen tree. The branch broke and he fell into the water. A few people here, including me, got stirred up over it but I lost track of it. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

This one doesn't sound familiar, but if nothing else you could always skim through your posts and see if you can find it - assuming you commented on it.
If you didn't comment on it, then all hope may be lost.... :( .......

.....until someone who knows what it is sees this thread.

Found it. Sifted through my old posts, like you suggested. It's called The Traun Trilogy. Seems to be in limbo.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby AgentSmith on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi! let me use my first post to say I think this is "Fire and Ice", a frazetta/Bakshi collaboration...

This is my favorite game!

Rob
AgentSmith
GLIB

Postby PITBUG on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:30 am

Alright so i remember seeing a movie on tv when i was a lot younger where some guy beat the crap out of someone else with a pillowcase full of soda cans. that scene took place in a prison, and that's all i remember. it must have been in the 70's. it felt like the beginning of a columbo episode. i think maybe it could have been a dirty harry movie, but i don't know which one. let me know if you've seen this before, and if so, is the rest of the movie is as awesome as that scene.
PITBUG
GLIB

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:48 am

PITBUG wrote:Alright so i remember seeing a movie on tv when i was a lot younger where some guy beat the crap out of someone else with a pillowcase full of soda cans. that scene took place in a prison, and that's all i remember. it must have been in the 70's. it felt like the beginning of a columbo episode. i think maybe it could have been a dirty Grande Rojo movie, but i don't know which one. let me know if you've seen this before, and if so, is the rest of the movie is as awesome as that scene.

Bad Boys (1983)
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby PITBUG on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:21 am

Yes! Bad Boys! Thank you! That rules just as much as i remember! When i was like 7 years old i didn't realize that it was Harvey Milk beating the crap out of The Kurgan.

ps. Two points for RC Cola!
PITBUG
GLIB

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:29 am

No problem, and since it's pretty obvious you aren't a spambot...

Welcome to the zone! :mrgreen:
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BruceLeRoy on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 am

i'm not even sure if i want to remember, but i saw a movie once with a young martial artist kid who idolizes don "the dragon" wilson, circa the whole Sidekicks/3 Ninjas era. i can't for the life of me remember it. and another movie where that same kid is trying to avenge the death of his brother by some gang. All i remember is his body hanging from a basketball hoop. ring any bells??
BruceLeRoy
GLIB

Postby justcheckin on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:10 pm

That is a hard one... start looking here >

http://www.kungfucinema.com/the-art-of- ... ng-fu-3346

Good Luck, I have no clue. I was thinking 'Breathing Fire' but I am not sure that it fits your description exactly.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:21 am

BruceLeRoy wrote:i'm not even sure if i want to remember, but i saw a movie once with a young martial artist kid who idolizes don "the dragon" wilson, circa the whole Sidekicks/3 Ninjas era. i can't for the life of me remember it. and another movie where that same kid is trying to avenge the death of his brother by some gang. All i remember is his body hanging from a basketball hoop. ring any bells??

I'm guessing The Power Within and A Dangerous Place.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Need help IDing movie.

Postby Ozymandias on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:46 am

Anyone know the name of the movie this gif came from?

Ozymandias
GLIB

Re: Need help IDing movie.

Postby John-Locke on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:02 am

Looks like some ripoff of Eurotrip to be.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:33 am

Van Wilder 2 perhaps.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ozymandias on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Tony, thanks, it was Van Wilder 2. The actress is Holly Davidson. Looks like she hasn't done anything since but has a new film in production now.
Ozymandias
GLIB

Postby justcheckin on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Tony, thanks, it was Van Wilder 2. The actress is Holly Davidson. Looks like she hasn't done anything since but has a new film in production now.

Yo Oz... 4 whole posts? hehehe
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Re: What's the name of that movie where...?

Postby KNOWNfor on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:54 am

alright so heres what i remember....

the main character goes batshit crazy but i dont remember why,he plays truth or dare with a ghost,or an imaginary chick?? anyways he ends up either glueing or welding a crude metal mask to his face...he later is driving down the street and sees a kid riding his bike...he turns the car around,starts up a chainsaw,drives right up along side the kid and slashes him with said chainsaw,then runs over a baby carrage..there is also another scene where he is in a white padded room with two other guys...one he dares to cut his arm and leg off with a swiss army knife,and the other to he dares to put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin....thats pretty much all i have....
KNOWNfor
GLIB

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:06 am

KNOWNfor wrote:alright so heres what i remember....

the main character goes batshit crazy but i dont remember why,he plays truth or dare with a ghost,or an imaginary chick?? anyways he ends up either glueing or welding a crude metal mask to his face...he later is driving down the street and sees a kid riding his bike...he turns the car around,starts up a chainsaw,drives right up along side the kid and slashes him with said chainsaw,then runs over a baby carrage..there is also another scene where he is in a white padded room with two other guys...one he dares to cut his arm and leg off with a swiss army knife,and the other to he dares to put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin....thats pretty much all i have....

Whatever this film is....I want it.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby KNOWNfor on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 am

i know right?
KNOWNfor
GLIB

Postby theunforgettablefire on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Wow, somebody find this damn movie!
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby justcheckin on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:15 pm

KNOWNfor wrote:alright so heres what i remember....

Truth or Dare? (1986)
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby KNOWNfor on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:33 pm

fuck yeah!!!!

truth or dare?:a critical madness

thank you.
KNOWNfor
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:37 pm

Holy crap, justcheckin wins the daily prize!

You get 35 cents in Canadian Tire money, congrats!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby John-Locke on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:28 am

I'm gonna track this film down, all the IMDB reviews seem to be very positive
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby justcheckin on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:29 am

You are welcome and I gladly except my 35 cents of Canadian tire money!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby justcheckin on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:32 am

John-Locke wrote:I'm gonna track this film down, all the IMDB reviews seem to be very positive

Actually, if you have netflix it is available to stream. It reminds me of a bad porno. LOL
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby lukasman on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:36 pm

ok, this will be a tough one...its anime.

All I remember is a scene, in what seemed to be a futuristic post-apocaliptic world, were a huge stampede of beasts are charging against a village, and the villagers posses some kind of monster/weapon (no pun intended, metallica fans) that is sleeping, or something like that, and they cant/wont wake him up in order to save them because apparently he/it is not ready to come out of his/its hibernation.

At last, they have to wake him anyway, since the stampede is almost there, and he fires some kind of weapon (this is a very big beast Im talking about) against the stampede, but it didnt stop it...

Thats it... :(
lukasman
GLIB

Postby Peven on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:48 pm

that must have been some hella acid, man....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Next

Return to Movie Discussion