AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:00 am

There's a pretty detailed synopsis in the main thread that Kirk posted if you're interested. I stopped reading about half-way through for fear of spoilers.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:22 am

From THR:

James Cameron cried Tuesday as he strode onto a stage -- with his 3-D glasses on -- to unveil the first publicly shown clips from his $300 million 3-D sci-fi actioner "Avatar."

Did Cameron really spend $300 million on this movie?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:46 am

TheButcher wrote:From THR:

James Cameron cried Tuesday as he strode onto a stage -- with his 3-D glasses on -- to unveil the first publicly shown clips from his $300 million 3-D sci-fi actioner "Avatar."

Did Cameron really spend $300 million on this movie?

Does seem rather inflated. I would think that value is taking into account the develop of the new filming technologies and stuff.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Animorganimate on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 pm

ComingSoon.net has a picture of a poster with a blue alien face on it:

Click here for the full story.
...methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
Animorganimate
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:38 pm

You know what?

This could be so big, so grandiose, so over excubrient that it ends up being an Titan AE and not selling a single ticket.

Then it's back to handicam films.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Sodacake on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Titan A.E. wasn't really marketed properly. I think that Fox are fully aware of the scale of this movie enough that they'll have a huge ad campaign for this thing. Too much money has been spent on this movie for it not to succeed.
Sodacake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:31 pm

This project, from the start, has struck me as more interesting as a production process than as a movie. I don't care how vigorously it fucks my eyeballs unless the story and acting are strong. Let's hope Cameron didn't just get caught up in playing with his toys.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Sodacake on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:27 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to stay positive about this movie, but I can totally see it not being as huge as it's being hyped to be.
Sodacake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:18 am

Nah man! I can't WAIT to see this movie. I do think it will be everything that people say it will be. Cameron makes his films so unprolifically for a reason - that if a film's not worth making, than don't bother making it. And by his standards, a movie for him to make has gotta be something special, for all of us. As in something that we haven't seen or even felt before. But it's not all wizz bang effects or visuals. Think about his stories, at the core, the emotion that they are about, or what they are trying to say. Aliens, The Abyss. Now we got Avatar (Starting with an A too. Good sign!) The story behind that sounds to be about an Outsider who finds acceptance and belonging in a race that isn't even of his own kind and consequently, possibly ends up turning AGAINST his own kind. So it's about loneliness, love, then courage and fighting and sacrifice, but set against the theme of being - Alien. Then you got the world it's set in backing this story up, and what goes with it to tell this story and paint this world, you've got some mould breaking tools of FX which will show you stuff you've never seen before, give you a cinematic experience you've never seen before, a moving story as well as something eye exploding.

I think it will be an amazing movie to say the least, thus, a big one. If you wankers complain about how shite TF2 is but still let it gross over 600 milly worldwide, then you should surely do Avatar justice and give it the success that it deserves.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:12 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Nah man! I can't WAIT to see this movie. I do think it will be everything that people say it will be. Cameron makes his films so unprolifically for a reason - that if a film's not worth making, than don't bother making it. And by his standards, a movie for him to make has gotta be something special, for all of us. As in something that we haven't seen or even felt before. But it's not all wizz bang effects or visuals. Think about his stories, at the core, the emotion that they are about, or what they are trying to say. Aliens, The Abyss. Now we got Avatar (Starting with an A too. Good sign!) The story behind that sounds to be about an Outsider who finds acceptance and belonging in a race that isn't even of his own kind and consequently, possibly ends up turning AGAINST his own kind. So it's about loneliness, love, then courage and fighting and sacrifice, but set against the theme of being - Alien. Then you got the world it's set in backing this story up, and what goes with it to tell this story and paint this world, you've got some mould breaking tools of FX which will show you stuff you've never seen before, give you a cinematic experience you've never seen before, a moving story as well as something eye exploding.

I think it will be an amazing movie to say the least, thus, a big one. If you wankers complain about how shite TF2 is but still let it gross over 600 milly worldwide, then you should surely do Avatar justice and give it the success that it deserves.

You say all this, but I can't help but think about his last movie, Titanic, which was a thin story, badly written, and a mere showcase for special effects. Effects, I might add, that didn't even hold up (in some cases) to initial viewing (i'm looking at you CGI people walking mechanically back and forth on the deck of the ship). I love Cameron's work, but he's NOT perfect. T2 is overrated, True Lies is a fun movie, but not a good one, and Titanic is just crap.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:13 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:...by his standards, a movie for him to make has gotta be something special, for all of us. As in something that we haven't seen or even felt before. But it's not all wizz bang effects or visuals. Think about his stories, at the core, the emotion that they are about, or what they are trying to say.

Did you see Titanic?

EDIT: Damn, Burl beat me to it.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:40 am

Titanic had some poor dialogue, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that the script was poorly written. I've read the script and it was anything but poorly written. With all that it had to cover, I thought it was actually very well written, some dialogue notwithstanding. But it was plot-driven and not character-driven (outside of Rose's arc), so I get why some people may not think it was the greatest story ever told. Jack and Cal were archetypes rather than fully fleshed out characters, but the story was about Rose and the big boat. They didn't really detract from that. Archetypes can serve their purpose (see Star Wars or pretty much any western).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:10 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Nah man! I can't WAIT to see this movie. I do think it will be everything that people say it will be. Cameron makes his films so unprolifically for a reason - that if a film's not worth making, than don't bother making it. And by his standards, a movie for him to make has gotta be something special, for all of us. As in something that we haven't seen or even felt before. But it's not all wizz bang effects or visuals. Think about his stories, at the core, the emotion that they are about, or what they are trying to say. Aliens, The Abyss. Now we got Avatar (Starting with an A too. Good sign!) The story behind that sounds to be about an Outsider who finds acceptance and belonging in a race that isn't even of his own kind and consequently, possibly ends up turning AGAINST his own kind. So it's about loneliness, love, then courage and fighting and sacrifice, but set against the theme of being - Alien. Then you got the world it's set in backing this story up, and what goes with it to tell this story and paint this world, you've got some mould breaking tools of FX which will show you stuff you've never seen before, give you a cinematic experience you've never seen before, a moving story as well as something eye exploding.

You say all this, but I can't help but think about his last movie, Titanic, which was a thin story, badly written, and a mere showcase for special effects. Effects, I might add, that didn't even hold up (in some cases) to initial viewing (i'm looking at you CGI people walking mechanically back and forth on the deck of the ship). I love Cameron's work, but he's NOT perfect. T2 is overrated, True Lies is a fun movie, but not a good one, and Titanic is just crap.

Ok Burl, I know hindsight is 20/20, but c'mon man. Those effects were amazing when the film first came out. Bash the story and shit all you want, but the effects were top notch.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby kwisatzhaderach on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 am

Can't wait for the AVATAR panel and The Visionaries panel with Cameron. Should finally see some footage next week!
kwisatzhaderach
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:39 pm

But... but.... I LIKED TItanic!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Ok Burl, I know hindsight is 20/20, but c'mon man. Those effects were amazing when the film first came out. Bash the story and shit all you want, but the effects were top notch.

I'm with Burl on the crappy CGI Deckwalkers in Titanic, I remember thinking how silly they looked in the cinema.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:35 pm

John-Locke wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

I'm with Burl on the crappy CGI Deckwalkers in Titanic, I remember thinking how silly they looked in the cinema.

I like you man, but you're crAAZYYYYY.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:52 pm

Dude one of the deckwalkers doesn't even walk that far before he starts walking backwards! And yeah, MOST of the effects were good, but I still think it's a crummy film. He even ripped off his own schtick with Leo handcuffed in a room filling with water... too similar to the heartbreaking scene from The Abyss where Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio bites it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Walter and the Tigers is more sad than Titanic. Burl.

:(

kwisatzhaderach wrote:Can't wait for the AVATAR panel and The Visionaries panel with Cameron. Should finally see some footage next week!

Yeah man, can't wait. Finally!!! Though at the end of the day, I hope all the real dazzling sight for sore eyes footage of the movie is SAVED for the movie itself and not leaked. Not too much of this jets blowing up the bridge in the True Lies trailer kind of, stuff.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Amen, brutha... I am sick of trailers showing all the money shots.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Amen, brutha... I am sick of trailers showing all the money shots.

On that, we agree, Burl.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Amen, brutha... I am sick of trailers showing all the money shots.

On that, we agree, Burl.

But nothing else? :(
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:26 am

Ribbons wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:

On that, we agree, Burl.

But nothing else? :(

No. There was something else. We both liked Star Trek or something. That's about it, though.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:15 pm

LOL
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:50 pm

The Comic-con panel for Avatar - http://is.gd/1Pyym - note that it involved lots of talking and no actual footage (don't know if any was shown or that it just wasn't recorded).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:56 am

...but will have over-indulgant and disappointing sequels?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:43 am

Fried Gold wrote:

or maybe it will turn in one of the best trilogys ever?
Like the Matrix trilogy did.
Who knows?
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:49 am

travis-dane wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Like the Matrix trilogy did.
Who knows?

are you from an alternate dimension where the Matrix sequels are actual worth watching? :-P :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:50 am

I've yet to see the third Matrix movie in it's entirity
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

travis-dane wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Like the Star Wars trilogy did.
Who knows?

Corrected.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:21 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
travis-dane wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Like the Star Wars trilogy did.
Who knows?

Corrected.

I did not know you like the prequels so much dude...
But everybody has his own taste.
Matrix Trilogy is my thing.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Oooh... I like games. Let me try.

travis-dane wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Like the Lord of the Rings trilogy did.
Who knows?

Corrected (again).
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Nacho, your avatar is KILLING ME!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby travis-dane on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Oooh... I like games. Let me try.

travis-dane wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Not like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which is a overrated borefest.
Who knows?

Corrected (again).

Re-corrected.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:36 pm

Peven wrote:Nacho, your avatar is KILLING ME!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Don't forget to vote!

And yes... one can stare at it for several hours at a time. It puts you into a comfortable trance.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

James Cameron's Dances with Wolves in space

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:15 am

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:39 pm

Can't wait for that Trailer. Our life is gonna change that day. Plus I love the Dances With Wolves take on it with the outsider of his race leading it to join and fall in love with the race that his one is oppressing. I get bored reading ab out the FX on this movie, I'm much more thrilled by the story and acting news on it.

Meanwhile, here's a pic of the Alien from that film. Sam Worthington looks like a right Chav methinks.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42062

Also can't believe no one posted Quint's interview with Cameron himself about Avatar...
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41920
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am

Got preview tickets for Avatar on Friday.

Am looking forward to it like noones business.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:27 am

So why tell us about it then?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:41 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Sam Worthington looks like a right Chav methinks

CHAVATAR. Sam Worthington gets his mind transplanted into a souped up vauxhall nova.

Sorry for interupting your discussion with this pointless gag. Carry on....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:09 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:So why tell us about it then?

Because I'll spill my guts here first off all about it.

Jealous much Kirk?

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:52 am

papalazeru wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:So why tell us about it then?

Because I'll spill my guts here first off all about it.

Jealous much Kirk?

On the contrary. Seeing so much of this movie before you see the actual film itself, months in advance I think goes EXACTLY against the enjoyment of the movie when it DOES come out in full. You've already seen too much of it that it ruins the fresh experience of it. Did it with all the PT SW trailers combined before I saw the movies.

Pershonally I think you're jusht a bunch of bloody idiotsh.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:33 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Pershonally I think you're jusht a bunch of bloody idiotsh.

It's bloody 4:30, you shouldn't be drunk and doing Sean Connery impression this early!!!

papalazeru

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Finally... can't wait to see it!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Ok So I totally forgot about the free IMAX 3D preview until about 10 minutes ago when I saw the TB on the main site... did anyone actually try to get tickets for this thing? The sites keep crashing now, and it looks like those who moved quickly managed to get multiple ticket hand outs (apparently there's a limit of 2 tickets per "order") whereas the vast majority get nothing. How much do you guys reckon tickets will be scalped for among the nerd community? 'cause if there's one demographic that will spend just about any amount of money for something essentially worthless it's the nerd demographic. That fact alone sort of infuriates me, but perhaps it's for the best that I not sit in the same dark room as those dweebs.

On another, equally infuriating note, Merrick only started the TB for the free Avatar screening after having trouble getting tickets for himself... fuckin' shit should've been posted like two hours before as a reminder to non-nerds that maybe they could get tickets too. Fuckin' Merrick is the new Herc.

EDIT: Ok so weirdly the site decided to work again and it stated that I'll be receiving a confirmation... RIGHT! Here it is in case u don't know: For Canada, and For the US, and I think another one for the US.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:54 am

The Apple website is experience some difficulties... but this link for the Avatar teaser seems to work all right: http://www.apple.com/movies/fox/avatar/avatar2009aug0820a-tsr_720p.mov

And I've been assured via e-mail confirmation that I will be able to get my tickets for the preview event tomorrow. I will likely have shitty seats as I don't plan on going hours in advance, but I will post my thoughts... from the teaser though two things can be said:

1) Visually the film is extremely ambitious, and it's rather this aspect that I think inspired all the talk of eyeball rape, because-
2) The CG is still CG, there are still a couple of moments of rubbery-looking creatures, even this film's version of the Aliens loader looks too CG in one shot in particular.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:15 am

I can't get any of the HD links to work. :P
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:36 am

Yeah the site is messing up, but click the link I posted, that one worked for me.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion