PONYO!! (New Miyazaki Film)

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: PONYO!! (New Miyazaki Film)

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:15 pm

Hayo Miyazaki has once again delivered a masterpiece. Joe Hisaishi is along again for the ride with an incredibly moving score. Miyazaki is fairly consistent with his themes of life, death and earth and Ponyo is no exception. I had very minor nits with some of the voice casting and while they did an excellent job of translating this film from it's original language, there were a few scenes where the translation felt a bit awkward.

Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are still at the top of my list, but Ponyo is a delightful film and very worthy of your time.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm

I still haven't seen this, but at least it seems as though Miyazaki got away from his Howl's Moving Castle zone...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I still haven't seen this, but at least it seems as though Miyazaki got away from his Howl's Moving Castle zone...

I was grateful for that too, I love his simpler stories. I'm looking forward to seeing a decently translated subtitled version.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Hey, I liked Howl's Moving Castle. Nuts to you guys!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:47 am

I watched this last night (drove an hour and a hand full of minutes to see it, but thats besides the point)

I loved it, but I had some weird issues with it.

A good thing, for a movie thats closing in on 2 hours, it moved so damn quick that I lost track of time..which is a good thing.

But the thing is that it feels like the film was building to something that didnt pay off or was glossed over.
There was no real reason why Ponyo being both fish and Human was pulling the moon to the earth the way it was (when Ponyo's dad pointed it out, it was almost comical in the delivery)

I dont know if it was the dubbing either, but it seemed that in the opening of the film, it kinda seemed that they were building Ponyo's dad to be some evil bad guy...then kinda just ditch it. Me's thinks its a dubbing issue.

Also, the race to make Ponyo fully human seemed to be glossed over. It all seemed more in favor of just having charecter moments between the kids or the mom.

Other than that, I still loved it. The American voice cast was great, even Hanna Montana's sister did great as Ponyo.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:53 am

bastard_robo wrote:
But the thing is that it feels like the film was building to something that didnt pay off or was glossed over.
There was no real reason why Ponyo being both fish and Human was pulling the moon to the earth the way it was (when Ponyo's dad pointed it out, it was almost comical in the delivery)

When Ponyo got hold of Fujimoto's magic, all hell broke loose. She disrupted the balance of nature and threatened the co-existence of humans and the undersea population. Hence, the moon getting all out of whack.
bastard_robo wrote:I dont know if it was the dubbing either, but it seemed that in the opening of the film, it kinda seemed that they were building Ponyo's dad to be some evil bad guy...then kinda just ditch it. Me's thinks its a dubbing issue.

Yeah, the kids in the theatre sitting near me kept on saying "He's bad, he's bad". I just saw Fujimoto as an extremely overbearing father and intensely xenophobic. The dark circles/sunken eyes and chiseled facial features, along with the fact that he is trying to take Ponyo away from her lovable companion Sosuke, didn't help either. He's simply protecting his daughter from the harsh evils of the human world.

I got my hands on the Japanese version, which I plan on watching very soon.

Glad you liked it too BR! :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby King Psyz on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:40 pm

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:08 am

I just watched that clip and laughed my ass off! Very rarely do parody videos set to music work so well, but this one works..

I would also recommend an oldie but a goody of Pikachu singing THROUGH OUT THE PROJECT by mindless self indulgence.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:07 pm

King Psyz wrote:ou guys should appreciate http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/08/how_does_ponyo_roll.php

Link was removed. :( I guess Studio Ghibli was pissed.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Yeah I missed it too. :(
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 pm

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:42 pm

SPAM!!!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:02 am

ohhh.... not spam. Me blogger now... me wantie traffic... me post linky....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:22 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:ohhh.... not spam. Me blogger now... me wantie traffic... me post linky....

Isnt that what we all want in life......

Traffic
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:26 am

I had the pleasure of watching Ponyo on a friend's Blu-ray player today and it looked pretty incredible. It's a shame Miyazaki movies don't make any money in the States because there's something magical about them that I feel like kids are totally missing out on. Anyway, there were some weird things about the movie that kind of nagged at me; as b_r kind of mentioned earlier in the thread the "rules" here are a little fuzzy. I thought it was strange, for example, that Ponyo had a human's face at the beginning and nobody seemed at all bothered by this fact... until somebody was, which makes everybody else's acceptance of it even stranger. Also how Ponyo and Sosuke's union was supposed to put the moon back in its place was never really explained, either. But it's hard to get too wrapped up in these things when the movie itself doesn't. Possibly the "lightest" of all Miyazaki's films (although there is a subplot regarding environmentalism in there), it's really enjoyable and sweet nonetheless. Plus, the visuals are BANANAS!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:17 am

I finally got around to seeing this. I rented the bluray disc and watched it.

I would say it's one of Miyazaki's weaker films (that I have seen) but it's still pretty enjoyable. I didn't really have any problems with the way Ponyo crossing between two worlds caused all this mayhem or anything. The mythology was all fine, but sometimes it was just dumped in your lap as raw exposition where characters just tell us exactly what's going on.

The voice cast was great, but I do think Liam Neeson was kinda miscast. This character seemed more like a John Cleese type to me. Like an eccentric scientist guy more than the wise mentor type Neeson is most associated with.

I don't speak Japanese, so I don't bother getting into these debates about the translation of the dialogue.

But the story was pretty cute, and had a very sweet message. I continue to love Miyazaki's work and consider him one of the best filmmakers working today.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:29 am

I couldn't find any general Miyazaki thread, so I figured I'd just throw this retrospective 'interview' link here.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/hayao-miyazaki/

EDIT: Of course, The Butcher already had this days ago! I guess that Miyzaki thread was right in front of me and I missed it.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:44 am

There is a thread named something like hey now Myazaki I think

found it

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1514

apparently with this interview too
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Previous