What's next for DC Films and Warner?

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Which DC property would you most like to see?

Aquaman
4%
The Flash
38%
Wonder Woman
15%
Martian Manhunter
8%
Captain Marvel
15%
Doom Patrol
8%
Deadman
No votes
Other
12%

Total votes : 26

LOBO & Joel Silver

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 am

From SciFi Wire: Producer Joel Silver: Lobo script is done
Todd Gilchrist wrote:Producer Joel Silver has a full slate of films scheduled for release in the future—including Sherlock Holmes, The Book of Eli and The Losers, among others—but he has one pet project he'd especially like to bring to the big screen: Lobo, based on the DC Comic series about an interstellar mercenary and bounty hunter.

"Lobo is one I'm very excited about maybe doing one day, hopefully soon," Silver said in a group interview on Saturday at the Los Angeles press day for Orphan. "I think we can do it. We've got a script we like."

Originally created as a peripheral character in Keith Giffen and Roger Slifer's Green Lantern spinoff comic Omega Men, Lobo was reinvented as an antihero in the early 1990s by writer Alan Grant and artist Simon Bisley, who elevated the exaggerated biker persona to epically monstrous levels.

But Silver said he had a way to translate the homicidal and decidedly adult character into a PG-13 movie. "I think it's structured now as a PG-13 movie," he said. "I think we've done it that way, but I love it. I've just wanted to make it for a long time, and I think it's a great character, a great guy."

Though Silver declined to reveal further details, he suggested that the technology that James Cameron is currently working with might play a role in realizing Lobo's transition from page to screen. "When any of you see Avatar, see pieces of it, the technology is genius, the stuff that's out there that is doable is fantastic," he said. "It's such a great character."

From Collider:
Exclusive: Producer Joel Silver talks Shane Black, Wachowski Brothers, SGT. ROCK, DIRTY DOZEN, THE LOSERS and GREYSKULL
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:One of my favorite films of last year was “Speed Racer”.

Joel Silver: I feel sorry for you. [laughs] I’m kidding.

I love that film and I have to ask you because I can never talk to Larry and Andy [Wachowski], is “Plastic Man” really happening? Is that a rumor?

Joel Silver: I think it’s a rumor. I don’t know what they’re going to do. We had “Ninja Assassin” which we did together which is really, really strong. Really, really good. I mean it’s a complete, full-on martial arts movie which is really a hard-edged, fun picture. I don’t know what they’re going to do next. Look, “Speed Racer” kind of made us all crazy-

It’s fantastic.

Joel Silver: We thought it was going to be a big, Earth-shattering picture and it was Earth-shattering but the other way. I don’t know. It’s disturbing, actually. But, you know, I liked it too.

I love it. I know we have to wrap up but I have to ask the two of you: “Dirty Dozen”, “Sgt. Rock”-what’s the status?

Joel: We were very committed to making “Dirty Dozen” for a while. We were close…We essentially shifted gears to “The Losers” which is why-we start shooting the movie on Thursday in Pureto Rico, it’s a famous DC comic, and it’s a similar idea to “Dirty Dozen”; it’s a more contemporary story but I hope one day to do “Dirty Dozen”. I hope one day to do “Sgt. Rock”. We were getting close on that and then Quentin [Tarantino] went off and did “Inglourious Basterds” so I mean we kind of put it aside but they’re properties that we own and we hope to make them someday.

Okay, one more question-”Greyskull”-what’s going on?

Joel: We’re developing it. We have a good idea for the script and if it works, we’ll make it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: What's next for DC Films and Warner?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm

From Variety:
In theory, last summer's $1 billion haul for Warner Bros.' "The Dark Knight" should have supercharged the studio's plans to spin off DC Comics' stable of superheroes into successful film franchises.

But Warner Bros. still doesn't have an overall strategy, even as it has firmed plans for the "Green Lantern" feature set for July 17, 2011. It recently put the glowing ring on Ryan Reynolds to star in the actioner that will be directed by Martin Campbell, two-time Bond franchise rebooter.

The studio has access to well-known characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the Flash -- properties that have the potential to mint a lot of coin for the coffers of Warner Bros.' various divisions should a pic score with audiences.

The DC move would seem like a no-brainer. But it's easier said than done. Studio executives admit to being delayed by the writers' strike and then by the takeover of New Line. And WB toppers Alan Horn and Jeff Robinov would like the studio and DC to closely develop superhero pics together, rather than hand off projects to individual producers. They're also aiming for each division at the studio to time the release of everything --from licensed merchandise like T-shirts and action figures to exclusive DVDs, videogames and digital content -- to when a pic gets released in order to build up the tentpole's franchise potential.

Meanwhile, the Home Entertainment and Interactive divisions aren't waiting for the big features to roll out; they're moving ahead with DC-based projects of their own.

However, the studio has yet to tap an executive to shepherd DC Comics' adaptations the way Marvel has a dedicated team to run its own film division. DC currently consults on projects the studio is developing.

Warner Bros. has spent years trying to come up with a strategy, the way Marvel has done with its own comicbook properties.

And outside of "Green Lantern," Warner Bros. has yet to officially announce plans on which superhero it will greenlight next. Ask the studio about the next Batman installment and it says it's all up to how director Christopher Nolan wants to proceed. Marvel, on the other hand, has skedded its next pics -- "Iron Man 2," "Thor," "Captain America" and "The Avengers" -- through 2012.

For now, DC's far lesser-known properties are moving forward, with supernatural Western "Jonah Hex" out next year and actioner "The Losers" headed into production, while projects for better-known characters like Aquaman, the Flash, Green Arrow and Shazam are still being developed.

Another reboot of Superman is also in the works, but needs to start production by 2011 in order to bow before the character rights revert to the heirs of Superman creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel, in 2013, who will demand steep licensing fees.

While a date has not yet been set, the studio does want a new Batman pic for summer 2012.

Spy thriller "Red," with Bruce Willis attached, isn't even being made at Warners, but Summit Entertainment.

More obscure characters can still strike a chord with audiences. Marvel proved that when it successfully launched "Iron Man" as one of Hollywood's top new film franchises. The character wasn't that well known among the masses, but the pic banked $585 million at the box office, with a sequel due out next summer.

The pokey development of DC's superhero business has spurred Warner Bros.' other divisions to come up with their own ways to capitalize on the characters.

This week, Warner Home Entertainment hyped its own "Green Lantern" pic "First Flight" at Comic-Con in San Diego. The animated direct-to-DVD film is the latest in a line of more adult-skewing PG-13 films the division has produced with Warner Bros. Animation that are based on DC's characters and have performed well at retail.

Last year, it released "Wonder Woman," and "Batman: Gotham Knight," "Justice League: The New Frontier" and "Superman: Doomsday" before that. "Superman/Batman: Public Enemies" is next. "Doomsday" remains one of its top earners, with more than $9.4 million; the toons are made for around $3.5 million apiece.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros. Interactive is developing a "Green Lantern" videogame, and is off and running with plans to produce games based on DC characters that appeal to various age groups and turn into their own franchises. For Batman, that ranges from the cutesy "Lego Batman" to the far edgier "Batman: Arkham Asylum" that's forthcoming.

It's easy to compare DC with Marvel, given their comicbook businesses. But making movies has been a little easier for Marvel.

Marvel isn't owned by a major conglom, and is set up to make decisions faster, whereas DC is just one of the many divisions under Time Warner.

The performance of a pic also can move Marvel's stock price, so it constantly needs to keep investors updated on its development pipeline. Time Warner is so large, with so many media divisions under its belt, that despite the impressive haul of "The Dark Knight," the pic hardly affected the company's stock at all. So WB doesn't need to be in a hurry to have DC's caped crusaders make the leap to the bigscreen.

In fact, why rush when taking time to develop Warners' superhero pics can lead to a revived Batman franchise that dominates at the box office, instead of a high-profile stumble like "Catwoman" or the lukewarm reception afforded "Superman Returns?"

The only ones clamoring for the films are the fans. And that's just the way Warner Bros. wants it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

SWAMP THING in 3D

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 pm

From COLLIDER:
Producer Joel Silver is Developing SWAMP THING in 3D!

From SciFi Wire:
Uberproducer Joel Silver mulls Swamp Thing 3-D
Fred Topel wrote:Swamp Thing—
Silver offered up hope that the remake he is developing might utilize 3-D technology. "I'm going to hopefully do Swamp Thing, which is a movie we've had for a long time, we think that might be great to do in 3-D," Silver said in a press conference. "I've seen the Avatar presentation in 3-D. It's very impressive. It's really cool. I think it's great. I think it's just another tool in the arsenal of the filmmaker to make something great and unique. I don't think all movies need to be in 3-D but certain movies fit really well into that situation. As of right now, there still are less 3-D houses than 2-D houses. When the day comes that there are as many 3-D houses as 2-D houses then I may change my mind about it."

Fred Topel wrote:Wonder Woman and Logan's Run—
Two major projects long on Silver's slate continue to linger. Having gone through developers like Joss Whedon on Wonder Woman and Bryan Singer on Logan's, Silver is unsure whether these will ever get off the ground. "I don't know what's going to happen with them," he said. "When I've got 'em, I tell you."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Guy Ritchie's Sgt. Rock

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:02 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

DEADMAN

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:22 pm

From THR 07/20/2006:
Deadman' to live again on big screen

Borys Kit wrote:Guillermo del Toro is teaming up with Swell Dude's Angry Films to bring cult DC Comics superhero "Deadman" to the big screen for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Del Toro is in negotiations to develop the comics-to-film adaptation, which would be produced by del Toro, Murphy and Susan Montford.

Deadman is the ghost of a circus acrobat named Boston Brand, who was murdered during a trapeze performance. His spirit was granted the power by a Hindu goddess to possess any living being in order to find his killer. In the ensuing search, Brand finds himself obliged to help others. The hero was created in 1967 by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino and is known for a run of issues by artist Neal Adams.

A search for writers is under way.

"I have been producing features for first- and second-timers in Spain and Latin America, and I would to do the same here," del Toro said in an interview. "If there is a window and an opportunity, I could end up directing but right now, I am only producing."

About the superhero, del Toro said: "(Deadman) has great supernatural elements and is one of the more off-kilter superheroes. What I like is that it has some of the canon of horror films but it has a quest and the heroics in the more traditional superhero roots. It's a great combination that is not very common to superheroes."

Dan Lin is overseeing for the studio. Gregory Noveck oversees for DC Comics.

Angry Films is in post on "Shoot 'Em Up," an action movie starring Clive Owen, and is one of the companies behind Michael Bay's "Transformers."

Del Toro will be at San Diego Comic-Con International talking about his upcoming fantasy film "Pan's Labyrinth," which opens Dec. 29 in North America. He is attached to direct "Hellboy 2" and "Killing on Carnival Row." He is repped by ICM and Exile Entertainment.

From Variety 12/03/2006:
Dauberman draws 'Deadman' gig

PAMELA MCCLINTOCK wrote:Warner Bros. has hired tyro scribe Gary Dauberman to work with director-producer Guillermo del Toro in penning the script for the bigscreen adaptation of DC Comics' "Deadman."

Project is a potential directing vehicle for del Toro, who is producing with Angry Films' Swell Dude and Murphy's partner Susan Montford.

Deadman is the ghost of a murdered circus acrobat who has the power to possess the living in order to seek out his killer, as well as to help the innocent.

Dauberman impressed "Deadman" producers with a spec script he had written for a Western zombie pic.

Del Toro's latest film, "Pan's Labyrinth," opens Dec. 29.

Angry Films' upcoming slate includes "Transformers" and "Shoot 'Em Up."

From Collider:Guillermo del Toro Producing DEADMAN Adaption

From Bloody Disgusting:Guillermo Del Toro to Produce DC Comics Adaptation 'Dead Man'
Bloody Disgusting is being told that Nikolaj Arcel (Island of Lost Souls ) is looking to direct Dead Man, a Crow-esque adaptation for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Guillermo del Toro is set to produce the pic that follows a a circus tightrope walker who is murdered and returns as a ghost with the ability to inhabit the bodies if others in order to find his killer.

We're being told this is based on the DC character "Deadman" that first appeared in Strange Adventures #205 (October 1967).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DEADMAN

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:09 pm

I would certainly part with some cash-money to see that.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:16 pm

You have to wonder how they will play the possession scenes. Will we see the actor playing Dead Man, or will it be the actor playing the possessed character?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:41 pm

Talk about a movie that would be beautiful in crisp 3D. Jesus. I could do a better job of heralding these DC projects. I am sending my resume to Warner Bros. right now.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:31 pm

DennisMM wrote:You have to wonder how they will play the possession scenes. Will we see the actor playing Dead Man, or will it be the actor playing the possessed character?

It'd be a bit too Quantum Leap if we see the Deadman actor portraying the possessed character too.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

LOBO

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Guy Ritchie's LOBO

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:09 pm

From THR/Heat Vision:
Guy Ritchie to direct 'Lobo'
Borys Kit wrote:Guy Ritchie has signed on to direct his first superhero movie, “Lobo,” a big-screen translation of the DC Comics anti-hero.

Silver Pictures is co-producing the Warners production with Weed Road. Joel Silver, Akiva Goldsman, and Andrew Rona are producing.

Lobo is an blue-skinned cigar-chomping alien who is an interstellar mercenary and bounty hunter. The character is one of DC’s more recent creations (he was introduced in the 1980s by creators Roger Slifer and Keith Giffen) and for a brief run in the 1990s, was one of comicdom’s most popular characters.

Lobo was meant to serve as a parody of violent heroes such as Wolverine and the Punisher, with his stories featuring a nihilistic streak tinged with dark comedy and excessive violence. (One story had him killing his daughter and all his illegitimate children that she had amassed to rub him out.)

Don Payne wrote the script.

Jon Berg is shepherding for Warners, which is looking to begin production early next year. Gregory Noveck oversees for DC.

Steve Richards and Kerry Foster are exec producing.

Doug Liman was previously attached to direct the project, though Silver, who has been developing the project for the last 10 years, was looking to reunite with Ritchie, with whom he just wrapped “Sherlock Holmes.”

Ritchie, repped by CAA, is also attached to direct “The Gamekeeper,” based on the Virgin Comics title.

From Variety:
Ritchie Locked for Lobo
Mike Fleming wrote:Warner Bros. has locked Guy Ritchie to direct “Lobo,” the live action adaptation of the DC Comics drama about an alien interstellar bounty hunter.

Don Payne wrote the most recent script draft, and Joel Silver, Akiva Goldsman and Andrew Rona will produce. Pic is a co-production between Silver Pictures and Weed Road.

Ritchie will make the film his follow-up to “Sherlock Holmes,” the Silver-produced film that stars Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Rachel McAdams, which Warner Bros. opens Christmas Day.

Production on “Lobo” begins early next year. The character originated in 1983 in “Omega Men,” written by Roger Slifer and Keith Giffen. Lobo has had several comic incarnations. In the film, he is a seven-foot tall, blue-skinned, indestructible and heavily muscled anti-hero who drives a pimped out motorcycle, and lands on Earth in search of four fugitives who are bent on wreaking havoc. Lobo teams with a small town teenaged girl to stop the creatures.

WB is aiming for a PG-13 rating. Pic will be strong on visual effects, and Ritchie will bring the irreverent, gruff tone of past films like "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."

Steve Richards and Kerry Foster will be executive producers.

With all the attention on Disney’s Marvel deal, the Ritchie deals gives WB yet another production start through its DC Comics banner. Silver and Goldsman are producers on “The Losers,” while Goldsman is a producer on “Jonah Hex.” WB recently set Ryan Reynolds to play the title character in the Martin Campbell-directed “Green Lantern.” DC Comics is a WB-owned entity, and Gregory Noveck steers the film adaptations for DC.

Ritchie is repped by CAA.

Danny Trejo should play LOBO.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
DennisMM wrote:You have to wonder how they will play the possession scenes. Will we see the actor playing Dead Man, or will it be the actor playing the possessed character?

It'd be a bit too Quantum Leap if we see the Deadman actor portraying the possessed character too.

I agree, but given that they may try to cast a biggish name, and more than a little time could be spent in the possessed characters, will they want to risk not using the lead? That's just my thought.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

DEADMAN

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 am

From TheOneRing.net:

Guillermo Del Toro wrote:In a few days there will be a BIG announcement (big for me, at least) that is not-Hobbit related. BEFORE anyone starts wondering the usual "how does he have time?, Is this detracting form The Hobbit?" etc It is a project that started over 2 years ago, before The Hobbit and will render fruits in the mid-term, not intruding on my Hobbit duties. Rest assured.

The key letter is "D"

Best

GDT

From CinemaBlend.com:
Guillermo Del Toro Doing Deadman Before The Hobbit?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:54 am

Will Deadman still get to wear that massive, stylish collar?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:10 pm

One can hope!

I like that WB seems ready to exploit the deep well of characters that they have in the DC Universe. Two DC television shows coming up this pilot season, a slew of new films in development.

Time for DC/WB to flex those muscles and put that big corporate monster to work!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce you to DC Entertainment
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:50 pm

More bureaucratics fucking with my shit!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:03 am

From THR:
Grant Morrison signs with ICM
Borys Kit wrote:
Comic book author Grant Morrison has signed with ICM.

Morrison, previously at CAA, is one of the leading writers in the comic book industry and among the architects of the current DC universe.

A 20-year industry veteran, his most recent work has been revamping Batman, writing the death of Batman story line and the new best-selling comic “Batman and Robin.” Among his works are runs on titles “X-Men,” “Justice League of America,” “Animal Man” and “Doom Patrol.” His “All-Star Superman” series won multiple Eisner Awards during the past three years.

Morrison also has affected the entertainment industry. His graphic novel “Batman: Arkham Asylum” was the inspiration behind this summer’s best-selling Eidos video game.

In addition, Morrison is consulting and writing treatments on DC Entertainment projects for Warner Bros., a deal that recently brought the writer from his home in Scotland to Los Angeles.

Morrison’s signing signals a deeper push into comic book territory for ICM, coming after the agency landed comic book icon Neal Adams in August. ICM also has artist-creator Todd McFarlane in its ranks.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:04 pm

From Geoff Johns: Rebirth at CBR:

And here's one more before we wrap up. Nathaniel is looking for an update on your Flash and Shazam movie projects, and also wants to know when Warner Bros. is going to give you the Superman movie to write?

I'm working on the Flash. And I'm working on Shazam. That's all I can say at this point.

EDIT: Earlier in the article, he reiterates that he is very committed to the FLASH universe in both comics and film.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Cool, thanks for posting that.
I hope he does get to do Superman, but I would rather see Grant Morrison get the job.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Lobo, Jonah Hex and Swamp Thing

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Sgt. Rock

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:01 am

From AICN:
SGT. ROCK Movie In The Works Again!! This Time It's Set In The Future!!

From Heat Vision:
'Sgt. Rock' on duty with Francis Lawrence and Chad St. John
Borys Kit wrote:“Sgt. Rock,” a long-gestating project based on the World War II hero from DC Comics, is moving forward … by going into the future.

Francis Lawrence is attached to direct, and Chad St. John, who wrote the spec “The Days Before,” is charged with writing the new take. Joel Silver, who has been steering the project for nearly 20 years, is teaming with Akiva Goldsman, who recently boarded as producer, to bring the project to the big screen via Warner Bros.

Silver Pictures’ Andrew Rona also is producing, and Weed Road’s Kerry Foster is exec producing.

Sgt. Frank Rock was the leader of his infantry unit, Easy Company. He first appeared in a 1959 issue of “Our Army at War.” In 1977, the comic was renamed “Sgt. Rock” and ran until 1988.

Until now, “Rock” has retained its World War II setting, with Silver and the studio trying to make a big-budget action adventure movie that was a throwback to flicks like “The Dirty Dozen,” which feature acts of American derring-do.

But a big budget always was an obstacle and, “Inglourious Basterds” notwithstanding, period war movies have not been in vogue in Hollywood for years, unless it was a more serious contemplation of the subject like “Saving Private Ryan.” Also, American jingoism went out of style after 9/11; even this summer’s G.I. Joe movie dropped the toy’s “A Real American Hero” tagline and made the action team internationally focused.

The studio hopes moving the time period to the future solves the dilemma.

The World War II version has been popular with execs and talent, with such scribes as Brian Helgeland, John Milius, David Peoples, Jeffrey Boam, Steven De Souza, John Cox and Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo tackling the adaptation. Arnold Schwarzenegger was tipped to play the hero at one point.

Guy Ritchie most recently was attached to “Rock,” having worked on the script he was attached to direct. He has moved on to work with Silver on DC Comics’ anti-hero pic “Lobo.”

Warners’ Jon Berg is overseeing “Rock,” which will be a Silver Pictures and Weed Road production. Gregory Noveck is overseeing for DC Comics.

St. John, repped by ICM, wrote the spec “The Days Before”; it was plucked by Warners, which then signed him to a two-picture deal. He wrote a remake of “Outland” and the action project “Motor City,” which Silver is producing.

Lawrence, repped by CAA and 3 Arts Entertainment, directed “I Am Legend,” the 2007 Will Smith actioner, as well as “Constantine” for Warner Bros.; both were produced by Goldsman. Lawrence’s next project is likely to be “Water for Elephants,” Fox 2000’s adaptation of the Sara Gruen novel.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:03 pm

They already made a perfect Sgt. Rock film. It was called Die Hard; just imagine Rock as a civilian and the whole thing works very well. Willis even wore the torn-up athletic undershirt.

Sgt. Rock in the future. Wow, what a game-changer. Change to lose.
DennisMM

Postby Peven on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:28 pm

lucky for WB/DC they have Nolan and Bale and the Batman franchise, because they don't seem to know how the hell to handle any of their other properties successfully, and instead of bringing more known quantities among their stable of characters to theatres they greenlight stuff like Lobo (guaranteed failure), or the lame Supermax/Green Arrow project, or this epic fail of an idea of moving Sgt Rock to the future. they should have either had the balls to stick with Singer and/or what he started with Superman, or put together a Wonder Woman movie by now, or Aqua Man, even. A-list characters in roles and settings that enough of the masses will feel familiar enough with to go check it out opening weekend.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

HAWKMAN

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:50 pm

From /film:
Hawkman Movie Next For Warner Bros?

From Empire Online:
21 December 2009
Hawkman Next For Warners?
James White wrote:Andy Warhol famously predicted that one day, everyone will get their 15 minutes of fame. If he were alive today, he'd be very confused as to why he's in a coffin, but he'd also announce that every superhero will eventually be turned into a film, especially now that Warners has apparently set its sights on DC's Hawkman.

The team over at Pajiba have a source that points to the studio shoving a film based on the be-winged hero into development.

It's still a rumour at this point, since Warners has yet to officially announce it, but following the creation of the massive entertainment conglomeration once WB swallowed up DC, it was only a matter of time before all the comics' company's books were thrown into the script pile.

Hawkman is one of the decidedly lesser DC heroes, first created for the pages of Flash Comics in 1940 by Gardner Fox and Dennis Neville who has been through the usual multiple incarnations.

He's fond of using archaic weaponry (like, say a mace) and sports artificial wings made of Nth metal that allows him to fly.

According to the report, Warners is looking for something that is part Indiana Jones (at least one version of the Hawk's alter egos was an archaeologist), part Da Vinci Code and part… Ghost?

Oh, and Stargate's Michael Shanks will be playing him. On Smallville. We bet Warners might wait and see if he, er, takes off before development of the film version continues...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Joel Silver

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:58 pm

From MTV:
Joel Silver Talks 'Swamp Thing,' 'Wonder Woman' And 'Sgt. Rock' Movies, Expects 'Lobo' To Follow 'The Losers'

Rick Marshall wrote:
"Sherlock Holmes" producer Joel Silver has his hands full with films based on literary heroes these days, and as many comic book fans are aware, quite a few of those projects hail from the DC Comics universe.

Since his name is attached to many of the projects we're most excited about these days, Silver offered MTV News a quick update on some of those projects during the "Sherlock Holmes" red carpet event last week. We pressed the comics-friendly producer for his thoughts on everything from "Swamp Thing" to "Lobo" and many of the other films drawing on DC's massive stable of characters.

When asked about his previous comments regarding a 3-D "Swamp Thing" movie, Silver reiterated his belief that 3-D was the intended format for a film about DC's famous swamp creature. Of course, given the character's history as the subject of multiple live-action movies, a live-action television series and an animated series, a move to 3-D is pretty much the only format in which we haven't seen man-turned-monster Alec Holland.

"Yeah, if we pull it together and if the script works, that's our intention," said Silver of going the 3-D route.

The producer also indicated that Guy Ritchie's departure from the "Sgt. Rock" movie hasn't impeded plans to bring DC's war hero to theaters. While he wouldn't comment on rumors that the "Sgt. Rock" movie would be set in the future rather than its World War II roots, he did sound positive about progress on the film thus far.

"We're working on ['Sgt. Rock'] now," he said. "There's a real possibility on that. There's a good shot on that one."

Conversely, Silver didn't seem to be holding his breath for a "Wonder Woman" movie to go into production any time soon, despite Warner Brothers' reorganization and renewed focus on DC characters under the DC Entertainment banner.

"I'm not really doing anything with ['Wonder Woman'] at the moment," he said. "Once the studio knows what they want to do, and makes a decision, they'll probably let us know."

However, with "The Losers" on its way to theaters in April 2010, Silver said he expects "Lobo" to the next comic book movie he concentrates on. The film, which follows DC's ultraviolent cosmic bounty hunter, was originally rumored to have "Sherlock Holmes" director Guy Ritchie behind the camera, but Ritchie cast some doubts on his involvement during a recent MTV News interview.

"I want to try and make 'Lobo' very soon," Silver responded when asked which comic book project was next on his plate after "The Losers."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DC Entertainment Announcements

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:11 am

From Collider:
Producer Dan Lin on the JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie, SUICIDE SQUAD, and Stephen King’s IT

Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:
He also confirmed what I’d been hearing about WB’s plans for their DC superhero movies and that’s “they’re unveiling their DC strategy in January”. Meaning, we’re probably going to hear what other DC characters are getting movies very soon!
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

SUICIDE SQUAD

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:17 am

Producer Dan Lin on the JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie, SUICIDE SQUAD, and Stephen King’s IT
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:And while Justice League might be stalled right now, he sounded more optimistic about Suicide Squad. He said, “that’s a different kind of superhero movie. For us that’s a super villain movie. It’s almost Dirty Dozen set in the world of supervillains. That’s the only one for me that’s on the front burner.” Meaning, it’s his only superhero property that’s moving forward.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:08 am

From Collider 12/22/2009:

Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:
He also confirmed what I’d been hearing about WB’s plans for their DC superhero movies and that’s “they’re unveiling their DC strategy in January”. Meaning, we’re probably going to hear what other DC characters are getting movies very soon!

From Latino Review 11/16/2009:
WB To Announce Formal 'Batman 3' Plans In January?

There’s some scuttlebutt that in early 2010, Warner Bros. and Chris Nolan will finalize the plan for BATMAN 3, according to a solid and longtime BOF source. Whether there will be an announcement or not remains to be seen. Our guy told BOF that in his opinion, the longer we don’t here a Nolan/B3 announcement in 2010, the less likely it is that the director will return.

"Hrm"
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SWAMP THING in 3D

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:58 pm

A Suicide Squad movie sounds much more interesting than a JLA movie. Y'know, since you asked for my opinion.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Sgt. Rock

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby quiethell on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 am

I'd like to see another Swamp Thing, but I'd prefer a man-in-suit approach unless they're really careful with the CGI and do it right. I'd be up for seeing a bloody version though.
quiethell
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

WATCHMEN 2

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 pm

From Deadline Hollywood:
"Not A Chance" Of 'Watchmen' Film Sequel
Nikki Finke wrote:"There is no truth to anything related to a movie sequel. Not a chance by a longshot. With regards to the comics, well, I guess anything is possible. I'll keep my opinion to myself as to whether it's a smart idea to do so."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: WATCHMEN 2

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Nikki Finke wrote:"... I'll keep my opinion to myself as to whether it's a smart idea to do so."

It's not.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:49 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:16 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:18 pm

From IESB:
DC Characters Picking Up Steam At WB
Peter Georgiou wrote:Where does this all leave WB's other superheroes? An announcement is forthcoming on "Wonder Woman", "Flash", "Superman", and "Batman 3". This could be revealed via press release, interviews, leaked information, or all of the above. "Wonder Woman" and "Flash" are going to be made "internally"; no hands from outside the confines of WB/DC will be touching these characters hence the removal of Chuck Roven and Joel Silver off both projects.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:21 am

"Wonder Woman" and "Flash" are going to be made "internally"; no hands from outside the confines of WB/DC will be touching these characters hence the removal of Chuck Roven and Joel Silver off both projects.

That sounds to me (and I know this has already been speculated about with the formation of "DC Entertainment" in the first place) like they're trying to establish some continuity between films, with "Justice League" presumably being the goal. Otherwise I have no idea why they'd want to eliminate Chuck Roven and Joel Silver, who are actually two pretty good producers, from the equation.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: WATCHMEN 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:28 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Never been a big fan of Swamp or Man Thing, altho both characters look cool. Sadly they don't go much farther than that. I'd much rather have more of these superb animated features with characters like Question, Wild Dog, and the Marvel family. We'll see, but they have to win me over on this character.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 12, 2010 9:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SWAMP THING in 3D

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 23, 2010 9:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 29, 2010 2:28 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News