Gaming News and Stuff!!! (Pick a format, any format...)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: Gaming News and stuff!!!! (pick a format, any format...)

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks, Herm.

I like Oakes, so I'll definately pick that up!

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:49 pm

And on the same theme:

Genius Products has finally gotten around to revealing some of the tracks for their upcoming rhythm title Scratch: The Ultimate DJ, with Beastie Boys, Kanye West, and The Black Eyed Peas making the cut.

Announced back in October of last year, Scratch: The Ultimate DJ is a rhythm game like no other, despite looking like a rhythm game like just about every other. Unlike other rhythm titles, Scratch will allow players to re-imagine songs on the fly, but up until now we've had no inkling of what songs we would be re-imagining. Well now we know, and some of the biggest names in hip hop are coming on board.

The first five songs in Scratch's set list are Kanye West's "Flashing Lights", "Intergalactic" from the Beastie Boys, Tech N9ne's "Slacker", Eric B. and Rakim's "Don't Sweat the Technique", and The Black Eyed Peas with that one song they released that got everyone started and then quickly grew old.

Along with the newly announced tracks, Genius has promised music from The Gorillaz, Deltron 3030, Nelly, and Run DMC, as well as music from the upcoming solo album from Beastie Boy Mixmaster Mike, who is also providing creative and technical support for the game.

Could Scratch have what it takes to take on Activision's upcoming DJ Hero? It's too early to tell, but it's off to a damn fine start.

http://kotaku.com/5151429/genius-drops-first-tracks-for-scratch-the-ultimate-dj
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:47 am

None of those headliners do big things for me, but that list of "also included" are solid gold! Gorillaz! Run DMC! Awesome!

I really hope it's got some Salt n Peppa, they're one of my favorites. Beck would be awesome too.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Afro Samurai: The Game

Released: Mar 20, 2009
There's a demo in the xbox live marketplace right now. Can't download it in my region, but apparently it's badass.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:16 am

Possibly old news to some, but this has to be awesome incarnate like out of a page of Seaquest DSV! And just look at the spandex!

THE VIRTUSPHERE

ImageImage

Here's a nicley copied and pasted article...

Walk in cyberspace: With virtual-reality software, users feel like they're moving even if they're actually sitting on the couch. VirtuSphere wanted to create a device that would allow the user to move limitlessly while using such software - without bumping into walls or falling over.

The solution: VirtuSphere, founded in November, created a giant hollow ball that works like a spinning hamster wheel. Wearing a head-mounted display, a user can step inside the 8.5-foot-tall sphere and experience physical movements while the mind is in cyberspace. "The purpose is to enable natural motion," said Palladin. "You can walk and there is no limit."

How it works: As the user moves, the ball rolls, sending coordinates to a computer. The computer evaluates the information and relays it back to the user's display in the form of a changed view. The sphere, which costs between $50,000 and $100,000, can be made compatible with any computer-based simulations.

Who's buying: 12 customers, primarily the U.S. military and law-enforcement professionals.

Edu-tainment: Using a grant from the Washington Technology center, VirtuSphere has teamed up with the University of Washington's Human Interface Technology lab to develop educational and entertainment uses for the sphere. Palladin said potential uses include helping patients overcome phobias and spicing up a treadmill workout. He also wants to create a cheaper version for home use.

Man and machine: Russian inventors and brothers Ray and Nurulla Latypov wanted to create a way for people to move instead of just sitting while accessing a virtual-reality world. Their first effort looked a lot like a treadmill, but users would have to be attached or fall off. It took an estimated 40 years of man-hours and seven different models to create the current form of the sphere. The inventors recruited Palladin, who worked at Microsoft and Intel, to run the business.

The next step: VirtuSphere isn't forgetting about smell, touch and sound. The company wants to add buzzers to simulate a hit during virtual target practice or smells to make a game more lifelike.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Every once in a while, a game comes out that makes you remember why you play video games in the first place...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/11/judge-mathis-is-making-a-third-person-action-title/
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:Every once in a while, a game comes out that makes you remember why you play video games in the first place...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/11/judge-mathis-is-making-a-third-person-action-title/

"When you go to prison you can also be raped," Mathis said. "We may see young people who make the wrong choice and go to prison and are assaulted repeatedly."

Wow. I mean, really? Kids want to play that? Makes me chuckle.

Anyway, if anyone hasn't been keeping up, (I know EA is the devil and all, but still...) EA is putting out a new version of FIGHT NIGHT on June 30th. It looks like it's going to be sports game of the year. Looks like it's fixing A LOT of problems that fans have been complaining about for years. I know I'm excited.

Here:

http://fightnight.easports.com/home.action
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Wed May 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Homefront - Story-driven first person shooter set in North Korean-occupied USA! And it's written by John Milius!!
It'll be on PS3, 360, & PC.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed May 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Fievel wrote:Homefront - Story-driven first person shooter set in North Korean-occupied USA! And it's written by John Milius!!
It'll be on PS3, 360, & PC.

Art imitating life or vice versa? Hard to tell today.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby papalazeru on Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 pm

If you have a chance, CeeBee and I have been hooked on this...

Pandemic 2

A game where you have to infect the world with your own created virus. Try to bring on the demise of mankind. And then, after a few hours play, if the world is going to end, don't you want to move to Madagascar?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Fri May 29, 2009 2:57 pm

papalazeru wrote:If you have a chance, CeeBee and I have been hooked on this...

Pandemic 2

A game where you have to infect the world with your own created virus. Try to bring on the demise of mankind. And then, after a few hours play, if the world is going to end, don't you want to move to Madagascar?

Wow! A fun time-waster!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sat May 30, 2009 5:45 am

Pandemic is evil! :twisted:

And speaking of evil... Lego Indy 2 is announced featuring The Kingdom of the Lego Skull?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fievel on Sat May 30, 2009 4:14 pm

New PSP Confirmed

I have the original PSP. I rarely, if ever, use it for games.
It makes a much better portable video player than my iPod does, though.
This new one looks interesting. I have a feeling that if I had a PS3 that I'd really want one.
Someday, perhaps.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun May 31, 2009 1:35 pm

With this pseudo-leak so close to E3, do you think Sony have anything big up their sleeve that can overshadow the new psp?
I mean, Dave Perry pretty much announced it months ago when he said he had a dev kit & whatnot & Sony were trying to keep the hush hush, so they must've known that this would happen.

MS have got the horrible Eye Toy type thing & probably something Halo related, so that could be a washout.

Nintendo apparently have a new Pikmin or other old franchise that they plan to revive, possibly the merging of wii points & DS points too. Nothing really huge though, unless they revive Starfox.
I'm not sure why they didn't hold Punch Out back a few months & make a big deal of it this E3.

OnLive could be the show stealer this year.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fievel on Sun May 31, 2009 1:42 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:With this pseudo-leak so close to E3, do you think Sony have anything big up their sleeve that can overshadow the new psp?
I mean, Dave Perry pretty much announced it months ago when he said he had a dev kit & whatnot & Sony were trying to keep the hush hush, so they must've known that this would happen.

MS have got the horrible Eye Toy type thing & probably something Halo related, so that could be a washout.

Nintendo apparently have a new Pikmin or other old franchise that they plan to revive, possibly the merging of wii points & DS points too. Nothing really huge though, unless they revive Starfox.
I'm not sure why they didn't hold Punch Out back a few months & make a big deal of it this E3.

OnLive could be the show stealer this year.

OnLive isn't doing E3 :(

There's rumors of a new slim PS3

And Sony's working on their own motion controller

There's also rumors (aren't there always??) of a PS3 price drop later this year.

Nintendo needs some seriously cool games to come their way that AREN'T rehashes of old Gamecube games.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:42 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:05 pm

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Steve Weibe is halfway there, with two Marios left, the one he is playing and one spare...

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:18 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Sony open gates for PSP shovelware

Luckily, they've counterbalanced this with the ability to buy Final Fantasy 7 from the playstation store (right now, so go buy it!).

also, GT5, God of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII, a new exclusive from Rockstar called Agent, Resident Evil Portable, LBP PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker & unfortunately, a motion controller.

I only watched Sony & Nintendo.
Sony had a really good showing.
Nintendo.... ehhhhhh.... a game or two interested me, but that's it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Sony open gates for PSP shovelware

Luckily, they've counterbalanced this with the ability to buy Final Fantasy 7 from the playstation store (right now, so go buy it!).

also, GT5, God of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII, a new exclusive from Rockstar called Agent, Resident Evil Portable, LBP PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker & unfortunately, a motion controller.

I see they changed the UI slightly in the PSN but no updates so far
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Hey PS3 owners, I have a extra beta code for the Uncharted 2: Closed Beta Online MultiPlayer available.

Redeem soon,
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:22 pm

America's Army 3 Online is now available on Steam for the paltry sum of nothing!!!!

It's incredibly bugy and it's early days but here's to hoping it gets better.
Note: A day after it was released on Steam, the DEV team were sacked. A Developer had this to say;

from IGN wrote:
I worked as a Dev at AA Emeryville for the last year and a half and I hope I can appeal to your rationality and common sense. I would like you to imagine trying to build a game with an impossible deadline, steadily declining workforce (via firings), A hiring freeze, constantly being fed misinformation, having the "higher ups" completely ignore your weekly plea for either A) more time, or B) more manpower, working a ton of unpaid overtime, pouring your heart and soul into a misadventure only to have the uniformed community scoff at you for uncontrollable variables..... RIGHT when you've just lost your job.

There are problems with the release beyond the devs control. In fact, the bureaucracy is so convoluted that you can't even begin to imagine the breadth and scope of B.S. the devs had to deal with daily. in short, imagine being the subcontractor of a subcontractor of a contractor to the government. Sure Millions of dollars may have been poured into this project, but how much do you think made it to the actual DEV team, the people MAKING the game, after it was filtered by the bureaucracy?

I realize if you are a gamer, you rightly expect a game to work. period. But I would ask that you imagine for a second that you actually DON'T understand what it takes to make this particular game, and you really don't understand the many obstacles that were placed in front of the Devs... in nerdy terms: A Kobiyashi maru.

What I would like you to understand is that the Devs did everything they could, worked a TON of unpaid overtime, put their time and passion into an un-winnable situation, and were effectively stabbed in the back. Many of these guys are my close friends, they have family to take care of, and overpriced rent to deal with. They just came off busting their butts for months, to be let go, without warning. Perhaps a little empathy is in order here.

Almost every multiplayer online game has problems upon release. These problems become exaggerated when a development team is kept in constant turmoil and paranoia via misinformation and a high rate of employee turnover. When the people you trust around you are being let go, it becomes difficult to emotionally invest yourself in the titanic sinking ship. Nonetheless, I can tell you the Devs STILL pushed themselves as hard as they could.

Furthermore, the problem with the game at this point, has everything to do with the authentication servers being slammed, A.K.A not a controllable variable by the Devs. Sure there are bugs, they WERE being fixed, and now you'll be lucky to see any fixes in the near future.

For those of you who think Redstone arsenal will do a better job, well.... I won't have to tell you that you're sadly mistaken because you'll see for yourself.

I'm not sure why i've felt compelled to write this when I'm sure it will get deleted, or even scoffed at further, but I hoped to let the fans know that we tried as hard as we could and are very bummed to see the fruits of our labor shoved at gamers like a heaping pile of crap.

papalazeru

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 am

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is out now for the DS! Woooooo!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:46 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Fried Gold wrote:$17,500 for a NES cartridge?

http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/5985/

You know, I read this before, and all I looked at was the game, and thought, bah, that looks like a shit game. Now I see the price! Didn't the seller renege on the deal though?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:53 pm

are you 35, studly and depressed? then you might be a gamer!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:38 am

This made me chuckle:

LINK

Captain Kirk set the lawyers to stun when he heard a skin was coming for the PSN game "Shatter," using his likeness and including a remix of Big Bill's "Mr. Tambourine Man" cover. One problem: the news was a joke.

Two weeks back, New Zealand site Game Console wrote up a spoof about Kiwi dev Sidhe, based in Wellington, claiming they were developing a skin for the breakout/Arkanoid clone that would replace the blocks with Shatner's face, among other things.

Taking apparently everything at face value, Boston Legal swooped in with a cease-and-desist to Sidhe. and, not only that, notified Paramount Studios (the Star Trek licensor) and Bob Dylan of the developments.

Its worth checking the link for the game publishers response. :lol:

Edit: Just yesterday I noticed the game on the psn store, and done a double take as I thought it said shatner.. :shock:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:29 am

Microsoft destroy every studio they touch

Interesting. Nothing we didn't really know though.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:00 am

Would anybody like to play a freeware Star Wars point and click game running on scumm?

If so, check out the Han Solo adventures

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:27 am

Hermanator X wrote:Would anybody like to play a freeware Star Wars point and click game running on scumm?

Holleee sheeeet, that looks teh awesome!!!!!!111
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby papalazeru on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:54 am

Now I have a legitimate reason to hate you Americans ;)

Onlive public Beta for US'ers

Let the hate commence ;)

Good way to test games but I would really prefer owning them, box and all. I like physical material.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:06 am

Heres your Onlive thread Papa.

Interesting times for gaming for sure right now.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:56 am

Hermanator X wrote:Heres your Onlive thread Papa.

Interesting times for gaming for sure right now.

Thanks. Forgot I posted that :)

Can a mod move my comments over to this thread please? I really don't want to pearoast.

papalazeru

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:18 pm

So what the hell, nobody here talking about the release of The Beatles Rockband game today?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:37 pm

so sorry wrote:So what the hell, nobody here talking about the release of The Beatles Rockband game today?

I'll comment when there is a Monkees Rockband.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
so sorry wrote:So what the hell, nobody here talking about the release of The Beatles Rockband game today?

I'll comment when there is a Partridge Family Rockband.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Fievel wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I'll comment when there is a Partridge Family Rockband.

I have ALWAYS wanted to make my own virtual variety show!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:57 pm

It would be Rock Band Meets The Sims.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:47 pm

If I had an extra $200 I'd be playing it now... :(
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:48 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:Possibly old news to some, but this has to be awesome incarnate like out of a page of Seaquest DSV! And just look at the spandex!

THE VIRTUSPHERE

ImageImage

Here's a nicley copied and pasted article...

Walk in cyberspace: With virtual-reality software, users feel like they're moving even if they're actually sitting on the couch. VirtuSphere wanted to create a device that would allow the user to move limitlessly while using such software - without bumping into walls or falling over.

The solution: VirtuSphere, founded in November, created a giant hollow ball that works like a spinning hamster wheel. Wearing a head-mounted display, a user can step inside the 8.5-foot-tall sphere and experience physical movements while the mind is in cyberspace. "The purpose is to enable natural motion," said Palladin. "You can walk and there is no limit."

How it works: As the user moves, the ball rolls, sending coordinates to a computer. The computer evaluates the information and relays it back to the user's display in the form of a changed view. The sphere, which costs between $50,000 and $100,000, can be made compatible with any computer-based simulations.

Who's buying: 12 customers, primarily the U.S. military and law-enforcement professionals.

Edu-tainment: Using a grant from the Washington Technology center, VirtuSphere has teamed up with the University of Washington's Human Interface Technology lab to develop educational and entertainment uses for the sphere. Palladin said potential uses include helping patients overcome phobias and spicing up a treadmill workout. He also wants to create a cheaper version for home use.

Man and machine: Russian inventors and brothers Ray and Nurulla Latypov wanted to create a way for people to move instead of just sitting while accessing a virtual-reality world. Their first effort looked a lot like a treadmill, but users would have to be attached or fall off. It took an estimated 40 years of man-hours and seven different models to create the current form of the sphere. The inventors recruited Palladin, who worked at Microsoft and Intel, to run the business.

The next step: VirtuSphere isn't forgetting about smell, touch and sound. The company wants to add buzzers to simulate a hit during virtual target practice or smells to make a game more lifelike.

NA NA NANANANANANA KAT A MARI DAM A CYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby papalazeru on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:07 am

I didn't quite know where to put this but....

Metal Gear Solid: Those Codec moments

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:53 am

That's the last time I trust an Eidos game review

That's so cheeky. I'm sure other companies do it but this also means that it limits impartiality in the review industry. The reason reviews are there is so people can make an informed decision. If you're being told it's great by the company, that's not a review.

Found this quote concerning the news by some wiseguy poster.

Batman is practically a ninja. It's no wonder he hates pirates.

:lol:

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:10 am

Unreal Tournament 3 is free to play on Steam this weekend, apparently.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:05 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:Unreal Tournament 3 is free to play on Steam this weekend, apparently.

When they sell it for 5.99 I'll buy it.

They keep putting this on weekend freeplay, they must be desperate.

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:53 am

I dunno.
They do it a lot with TF2 & L4D as well.

I dunno how it's working out for TF2, L4D seems to get a lot more sales when they do this.
The 360 version gets sales when they do this as well. I'm guessing they play it for free in low res mode & buy the 360 version to get the best visual experience they can.

I've been thinking of picking up UT3 for fucking ages now. I haven't played Unreal since 99 or something.
The PC will explode if i try to play it, i'll probably end up with the 360 version at some point.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Would anybody like to play a freeware Star Wars point and click game running on scumm?

Aw, shit. Looks like it is still in development.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:50 am

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee & Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus are going for £2.03 on STEAM this weekend.

Or, you can get them both (listed as "ODDWORLD PACK") for £3.05.

That's a fucking bargain.
Abe's Oddysee cost me about £40 back in the day on the original Playstation.
Never played the sequel...
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

PreviousNext

Return to Games