Pitchfork. Pretentious crap? Or ...

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Pitchfork. Pretentious crap? Or ...

Postby docfalken on Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:57 pm

What Spin magazine always wanted to be?

I'm not sure what I feel about that site. It is very much a love/hate relationship with me.

Maybe I'm just pissed that they've got 15 ads for every page and yet they keep their "street cred".
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:58 pm

You know what I like about AICN? CHUD and Superherohype.com both freeze my browser with all the goddamn ads they have.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:04 am

oh fuck yeah it's pretentious and I love it that way. With all the Dave Eggers McSweeney's and Believer no snark school of criticism out there it's fun to read a music site that will kick you in the balls.

Plus they've responded to criticism...no longer as "rockist" as they once were. It still don't think they review hip-hop enough (where in the hell is the Felt 2 review...Murs & Slug for pete's sake!) and they do push certain acts a little too hard but to me it's very similiar to AICN. 'Cept they push the "cool". Harry & Co. tastes run a bit more populist.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Octaveaeon on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:51 am

read their review of the latest "Audioslave" album.... they get my vote...
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.
-- George Washington
Octaveaeon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:58 pm

Oh wow I hadn't seen this thread until just now.

I love Pitchfork, I've been visiting since '98 when they had one of the few positive Bran Van 3000 reviews around. Brent DiCrescenzo wrote it, he also gave Kid A a 10.0 which is like the Pitchfork holy grail, only around 8 albums have it. Miles Davis, Endtroducing, Kid A and I think a couple of Tom Waits one's. I trust their reviews because they seem to be into the same things as me, although maybe I just listen to what they recommend too much. They got me into the Fiery Furnaces though so they get unlimited respect for that.

Anyhoo I wanted to post on here that "The Notwist" are playing over the shopgirl adds on the mainsite. If you've not heard them go take a quck listen and see if you like 'em.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:09 pm

I have that notwist album. I bought it after a review I read somewhere... Maybe OnionAVClub. But the album is kind of dull. Technically phenomenal, just boring.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:13 pm

Is that the one called "Neon Golden"? it has a red cover. Yeh it can be a bit drab i guess. The first one is called "Shrink" and I like it a lot more. Definitely more poppy but still kind of melancholy.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Yes I have neon golden. I will check out the other since you make it seem more lively.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:00 am

Pitchfork and T.V on the Radio team up to give out a free tune.

Check it here...

http://www.tgrec.com/news/detail.php?id=101
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:31 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Oh wow I hadn't seen this thread until just now.

I love Pitchfork, I've been visiting since '98 when they had one of the few positive Bran Van 3000 reviews around. Brent DiCrescenzo wrote it, he also gave Kid A a 10.0 which is like the Pitchfork holy grail, only around 8 albums have it. Miles Davis, Endtroducing, Kid A and I think a couple of Tom Waits one's. I trust their reviews because they seem to be into the same things as me, although maybe I just listen to what they recommend too much. They got me into the Fiery Furnaces though so they get unlimited respect for that.

Anyhoo I wanted to post on here that "The Notwist" are playing over the shopgirl adds on the mainsite. If you've not heard them go take a quck listen and see if you like 'em.

That Radiohead review is the most agonizing read ever.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:32 pm

Pudie wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Oh wow I hadn't seen this thread until just now.

That Radiohead review is the most agonizing read ever.

Oh agreed. But he got the Rating right.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:59 pm

Pitchfork's Top 50 Albums of 2005

agree, disagree, fuck them snarky @ssholes?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:34 pm

*spoiler*

Illinois at number 1???? No bloody way.
MIA at number 4????? Swap those 2 over and get rid of Late Registration and tha tlist looks much better.

*end spoiler*

Ok sometimes the pretension gets annoying but it's worth skimming over that for the genuine insights and post post post meta modern ideas the site come up with.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:40 pm

Late Registration's gonna be near the top of a LOT of lists. Deep breaths Tony, deep breaths. (or, countdown from 10!)

Agree with the MIA and Sufjan swap tho'...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:44 pm

I don't mind Late Registration, but top 10 of the year??? I'd argue College Dropout was the better hip hop album. Registration is great but the production can be very overwrought and West is not a great rapper by any means. In fact that counting down from 10 is sounding like a good idea now.
TonyWilson

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:26 pm

Nice to see Roisin Murphy's 'Ruby Blue' getting a nod - great voice, great album. Got no love.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:40 am

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:15 pm

P4K TV launched today - Radiohead doing "Bangers 'n Mash" w/some quality drumming from Thom, and Liars absolutely killing "Plaster Casts of Everything".

good stuff, haven't noticed any issues, which, for a beta version, is pretty shocking...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 pm

while I have no love lost for the fork, whoever did their new webdesign for the tv site is a fuckin hero.

I hate going to sites with video where you have to stop or leave the video to see what else is going on. I was actually hesitant to click on the nav bar for that reason but I'm not the world's biggest radiohead fan either...

But yeah, clicking on links not shutting down the video player is the shiznit. Too bad it will be blocked by websense within 48 hours...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Re: Pitchfork. Pretentious crap? Or ...

Postby R.Sammy on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:41 am

I don't always agree with pitchfork, but I appreciate their different approach to music criticism. I can never trust music reviews in mainstream mags like spin and rolling stone as they give positive reviews to a lot of crap. At least with Pitchfork they hate just about everything, so if they give it a positive review there is probably something worth looking into.
R.Sammy
GLIB

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:20 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Onion: Pitchfork gives music 6.8

IPAMPILASH!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Pitchfork. Pretentious crap? Or ...

Postby criticalbliss on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:25 am

docfalken wrote:What Spin magazine always wanted to be?

I'm not sure what I feel about that site. It is very much a love/hate relationship with me.

Maybe I'm just pissed that they've got 15 ads for every page and yet they keep their "street cred".

Pitchforkmedia, ultimately, is hipster, coffee-shop crap. Yes, they happen to be right every once in a while, but just as often they are wrong. The second any band becomes popular, they dump all over them. It's reflexive and pseudo-intellectual, more concerned with what people think of their reviews than the validity of their criticism.

Still, I can't name too many review sites that aren't compromised in some way. They are better than Rollingstone, at least (admittedly, not a difficult proposition).
criticalbliss
GLIB

Return to Music